Registered
15,259 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Top 5 people in history that you could relate with

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,597 Posts
"Relate with" is interesting. Leonardo da Vinci, for instance, is an Ne dom and enbodied the idea of the polymath, but I haven't learned enough about his life to relate on a personal level-- although, who knows-- I might relate to his life. This is harder with women, although I can relate to men too, of course. I believe each one of these people is an ENFP and there are elements of their lives that might be comparable to mine. I can see myself being in each of their situations, where sometimes I think I could get out of some of the situations of some other type... you know? Or that the things that are seen as problems for ENFPs and that they write about might not be a problem for some other type.

1. Charlotte Bronte
2. Josephine Brunsvik (Beethoven's love)
3. Karen Blixen (Isak Dinesen)
4. Mary Ann Evens (George Eliot)
5. L. M. Montgomery
6. 2 current writers: Greta Gerwig is ours and I relate and jive with what she has identified as difficult and important. She does such a beautiful job showing that Ne-Si pull upon leaving home or losing friends. Also Lin-Manual Miranda--so inspiring!
7. Elizabeth Gaskell
Also, I've always admired Helen Keller very much and I am unsure of her type, but somehow I relate to her fairly strongly. I think she was so encouraging and inspiring so I think it might be a good bet that she is one of us.

I also love Maya Angelou-- I cannot say we've had similar experiences, but I love her. I'm not quite certain--- ENFx so far.

·
Registered
15,259 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Is there any repository that you would recommend looking at? Perhaps an assessment or two?
Unsure what do you mean by this - is there any author - historian - artist inventor that you could relate with ? Anytime in history near or far back

Reactions: NIHM

·
Registered
15,259 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
My top 5

1. Erik Erikson- could relate to his identity crisis and obsession with studying stages of human development and the cause and effect of it .
Growing up I also had identity crisis- and often observe and do research on how one behaves and react to certain kind of environment /child rearing or society .

2. Tay Thi ( ancient Vietnamese heroin) https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xi_Shi[/ 3. Anne Frank - more for her optimism and idealism 4. Ralph Waldo Emerson - his writing - his approach, his humor . I can relate with him in the sense that I like to give advice to others through helping and writing and his quote 5. Theodore Geisel all those ideas -random humors and love for writing children stories and rhymes Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: solarnis and NIHM

·
Registered
ENFP-A - 2w3 - JEEP
5,153 Posts
Ohh I love this thread.

1. Theodor Seuss Geisel - Dr. Seuss. He was very xenophobic during the war of Japanese American's but after visiting Japan, after the bomb went off, he changed his toon and started to express people not to be so xenophobic and to get the "racist bug" out of the ear. I love the story of the Sneetches for this reason.

2. Anne Frank

3. Mark Twain

3. Maria von Trapp

4. Oscar Wilde

5. Erica Jong

·
Registered
15,259 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ohh I love this thread.

1. Theodor Seuss Geisel - Dr. Seuss. He was very xenophobic during the war of Japanese American's but after visiting Japan, after the bomb went off, he changed his toon and started to express people not to be so xenophobic and to get the "racist bug" out of the ear. I love the story of the Sneetches for this reason.

2. Anne Frank

3. Mark Twain

3. Maria von Trapp

4. Oscar Wilde

5. Erica Jong
Haha love your list - I could relate to your top 5 as well !

Reactions: NIHM

·
Registered
ENFP-A - 2w3 - JEEP
5,153 Posts
Haha love your list - I could relate to your top 5 as well !

Well, I have two in my top 3. spot, felt they were tied.

I see a lot of people relating to Jesus. I love him as a role model but I can't relate to that. I'm far too angry at bigots to be as forgiving as that man was. I don't think anyone I've ever met can relate to him. Like seriously the man was a saint and very forgiving soul. Very hard stance to walk as he did, especially being high Fi. I could be offended at someone calling me fat. I'm nowhere near being like or behaving like Jesus. I doubt anyone is. I mean yes great role model but you don't act like him.

·
Registered
15,259 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, I have two in my top 3. spot, felt they were tied.

I see a lot of people relating to Jesus. I love him as a role model but I can't relate to that. I'm far too angry at bigots to be as forgiving as that man was. I don't think anyone I've ever met can relate to him. Like seriously the man was a saint and very forgiving soul. Very hard stance to walk as he did, especially being high Fi. I could be offended at someone calling me fat. I'm nowhere near being like or behaving like Jesus. I doubt anyone is. I mean yes great role model but you don't act like him.
I agree someone to look up upon but not much relatable - but I guess the quotes and values may align with many hence people mistaken same philosophy or value as relatable:)

·
Registered
ENFP-A - 2w3 - JEEP
5,153 Posts
I agree someone to look up upon but not much relatable - but I guess the quotes and values may align with many hence people mistaken same philosophy or value as relatable:)

I mean aaaaargh, it some times baffles me. Especially now that this xenophobic and anti-foreign sentiment has taken over our country. That people use Christianity as the reason to blast and be mad at Muslims or Mexicans. You may not witness it as badly in Cali but in Ohio, it's growing.

They start waving their bibles around and screaming about Jesus and I just want to thump them on the nose with a newspaper. Like, "NO, did you READ the new testament?" In my head of course because there is no convincing these people when they have so much hatred in their hearts. I normally try to point out when they start screaming about how bad Jews and Muslims (Arabic brown people) are, that he was born a Jew in Palestine. I know, shocker. Like when they start screaming at people who don't like Trump as "Snowflakes and the Libtards." I just have to prevent my eye roll because Jesus, the man they're using to condemn everyone, was the most liberal human being on the planet. I wish I could live like him but it's sooooo hard. I tried one day and I yelled at someone in traffic for cutting me off and almost causing a wreck in hwy 8. I have to go to confession a lot. I can admire those that can somewhat try to be like him but damn it's really hard.

·
Administrator
13,604 Posts
Hm. I am not that knowledgeable about history, but here's the first ones that came to mind:

Vincent Van Gogh

Frida Kahlo

Virginia Woolf

Artemisia Gentileschi

John Keats

It's hard to say I 'relate' with everyone here. A lot of this list is probably better described as who I admire.

Vincent Van Gogh is probably the one I spent the most time thinking about how I related to, and noticing weird parallels. One of my friends from Highschool called me 'the reincarnation of Van Gogh' which was kind of weird and not sure where it came from.

Probably, most of these are just very in touch with human experience and able to communicate the thread of humanity we all share so well that I cannot help but relate to them because of their mastery of creative expression.

Other honorable mentions go to

Booker T. Washington

Emily Dickenson (though she's way to smart for me to get most of her poetry)

Dorothea Lange

Jack Kerouac

Siddhartha

James Joyce

William Blake

Edie Sedgwick

·
Registered
ᚾᛁᚦᛁᚴᛦ
397 Posts
It feels narcissistic to claim I relate to geniuses and martyrs who actually managed to accomplish things, but I guess that's what this thread is inviting. It's not like anyone's going to say they relate to Hitler... though maybe I should. Hm.

Anyway, here's my list:

• Nietzsche
  • Kafka
  • Joan of Arc
  • Rachmaninoff
  • Plath

·
Registered
ENFP-A - 2w3 - JEEP
5,153 Posts
It feels narcissistic to claim I relate to geniuses and martyrs who actually managed to accomplish things, but I guess that's what this thread is inviting. It's not like anyone's going to say they relate to Hitler... though maybe I should. Hm.

Anyway, here's my list:

• Nietzsche
  • Kafka
  • Joan of Arc
  • Rachmaninoff
  • Plath
I don't find it narcissistic at all for a human being to relate to someone in history and find a little bit of their personality with them. I chose people that remind me of a little bit of myself. The exercise isn't stating that you're exactly like the person but which ones in history you feel are closely related to how you prefer to interact in your world. There's nothing wrong with examining that, it's a healthy trait. Being a narcissist is if all you do every day is to examine and admire yourself. A little bit of too much is always bad and comes with a mental disorder. Lie too much and you'll be most certainly tagged with ASPD, lie to little and you'll be looking at autism. Remember that narcissistic is to be in excessive interest in your thoughts to yourself. The opposite would be too empathic and that person might suffer some extreme anxiety worrying about what the group thinks instead of their self-interest. Again having both empathy and interest to your self are healthy.

So no, this thread is not inviting Narcissism. It is interesting to see which historical role models people choose. Though I do admit Jesus is a far stretch for me to think anyone can be like him, being that I find him highly unique. But hey what if they're really like Jesus? They go around doing lots of missionary work and have no hatred in their hearts or anxiety. It would be a very rare personality.

It would be interesting if someone could relate to Hitler. He was an artist, poet, and did some pretty great things for Germany but those great accomplishments were overshadowed by the death of millions. It always brings up a great question in an Ethics class. If you went back in time and found Hitler as a baby would you kill him knowing what he was supposed to become? I don't think I could. It's a baby and I would try my best to cultivate him with love. The environment after WW 1 was not the greatest. I also wonder if people had their name changed after Hitler? I mean I'm sure there were other people with Hitler as their last name.

Anyways the Hitler comment had me thinking of this parady

·
Registered
15,259 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
It always amuses me when people criticize a thread and then go onto answering it

·
Registered
ENFP
4,195 Posts
Gosh, top 5 people I can relate with... my heart's already beating just thinking about them...

#1- Helen Keller- I loved everything that she was all about, from the fact we both have vision problems, except she became both blind and deaf.

#2- Harriet Tubman- her courage- the mere fact she risked her life each and everyday through the underground railroad to free slaves to the path of freedom, her love, conviction, and tenacity.

#3- MLK- reverend Dr. Martin Luther King was my person hero as a child. I remember PBS episodes of his oratories. I felt so moved by his passion, conviction, and dedication.

#4- Senator Bernard Sanders- the man just speaks to my soul.

#5- A.O.C.- I relate to her on so many levels. If twin flames exist, she's like a long lost soul-sister. We think so much alike, and I can imagine if I spoke to her one-on-one, our conversations would last 24/7. She's totes ENFP! :heart:

1 - 20 of 30 Posts