21 - 40 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Torrentz as a search engine, Utorrent to download. Love them :wink:

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Wow, I'm shocked how many people say torrents are slow! :eek: I used eMule since like last year and torrents feel like a fresh breeze through my hair now. So what is this thing that is supposed to be even faster? (Although I think I won't use it, I still want to have at least that hour of anticipation for a movie ...) I use PirateBay (for the functionality) and Kickasstorrents (for the name).

·
Registered
815 Posts
They probably weren't paying attention to the seed/leech ratio :tongue: If you find a well seeded torrent file you can download at speeds upwards of 1MB per second (if your ISP permits it).

·
Banned
4,477 Posts
I know its not legal but who cares when you get what you want to
Speaks volumes about our generation. Stealing isn't stealing if its using torrent, right? What about a bank using guns? Your logic is failed, or perhaps its your conscience.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
would I steal a womans purse? hell no.

would I download a movie? hell yeah.

·
Registered
911 Posts
isohunt + utorrent = win
But i've heard isohunt sucks in the us (isohunt lite) because of a lawsuit so i wouldn't know what to suggest... torrenz, perhaps?

·
Registered
89 Posts
I would totally download a torrent of a woman's purse if I could, though. I'm willing to bet most people would, too, if they could.

·
MOTM Jan 2010
2,988 Posts
I will occasionally use torrents, but only as a last resort. I prefer to download free directly from the internet, buy online, or watch streaming (depending on the type of media). I can't have torrent clients on my laptop while I'm at school, anyhow.

utorrent and thepiratebay are pretty solid.

As for ethics, musicians are overpaid anyway.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Metallica: "we still need to put food on the table"

I think they're a bit past that now.

Reactions: Liontiger

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
I will occasionally use torrents, but only as a last resort. I prefer to download free directly from the internet, buy online, or watch streaming (depending on the type of media). I can't have torrent clients on my laptop while I'm at school, anyhow.

utorrent and thepiratebay are pretty solid.

As for ethics, musicians are overpaid anyway.
As I see it, that isn't exactly the issue, per se. Small musicians need to be supported, but then what are the chances that you'll even have enough seeds to torrent their material? You have to pretty much buy them from their websites. As I see it, the music I torrented isn't "stolen". It doesn't represent a lost sale. It's like receiving a copy of the book I'd never have paid for. And what's more, creating more digital copies of the same song costs them nothing. You reap what you sow. If you want to make money off mass producing your music digitally at no cost, then why are you surprised when it's pass around and downloaded- at no cost? Are we stealing if we're not paying to look at some artist's work? Or painting copies of that work to keep for ourselves? Or taking high res pictures of the work and making prints to decorate our walls with? The only sure way to make money off your work is to have gigs. Would you demand that people be charged if somebody made a great recording of your music and put it on torrent? Usually, if I like the music or the artist enough, I do end up supporting them in some way, such as buying anthologies, etc. With "throwaway artists", I wouldn't even be listening to their stuff if it's physically impossible to torrent it.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Torrents are the way I currently consume media. When a better way comes along, I'll switch to that. I have no stronger connection to torrenting than I had to hotline, napster, directconnect, FTP or dcc.. All got the job done.

.. the job being stealing media :cool:

Yes, I believe piracy is stealing and wrong and could very well be the downfall of the very media I enjoy. I really don't care because getting stuff for free is more important to me than propping up industries.

·
Registered
5,225 Posts
Torrents are sacred.

How else would I get to see the latest episode of House M.D, Big Bang Theory, The Office of anime of choice in a timely manner?

·
Registered
11 Posts
I agree with Hiccups on the ability to find whatever...but if you find a private tracker site that requires people to seed a certain amount and they have servers seeding so stuff will stay up for quite a long time....i have found movies from like the 70s on certain trackers....but thats besides the point....i like torrents...it lets me try new things...or recover lost things so it does have a legitimate use....and if i like something...i buy it so no one can say im ruining the music industry or movie industry...cause well...im not.....

·
Registered
26 Posts
Me and my dad have this awesome question...exactly how are torrents being uploaded to Piratebay if the website has been seized by the government??? =/

·
Registered
23 Posts
I am a member of 12 private sites, I very rarely use public trackers and Bittorrent is my default method of filesharing. I used to use the eDonkey network and occasionally default to some way more obscure methods of file collection. *cough*usenet*cough*.

21 - 40 of 49 Posts