41 - 49 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
I started on Napter, before it really hit the news around 1999-2000

·
Registered
26 Posts
I don't like them. They run a major risk of your computer getting viruses/trojans. There are other ways to sample stuff anyways. Besides, it's not the same when you don't buy it because at least in my mind, you never feel like you own it. I guess you could say that about anything you download though.
you, my dear friend, are SO wrong in SO many ways...
1) I trust Torrents over any other pirating software, especially Limewire, Frostwire, Kazaa
2) It is alot more difficult for the government authorities to catch you
3) Most torrent-sharing websites offer a user review, if you would pay attention and read those reviews, you'd know whether you can trust it or not.
4) I use uTorrent, and it allows you to view what files you are downloading before the download begins
5) YOU CANNOT BLAME GETTING VIRUSES ON PRODUCTS OR OTHER PEOPLE, YOU CANNOT STOP THEM, BUT YOU CAN CHANGE YOUR BEHAVIOR, TRY BEING MORE CAREFUL

·
Registered
23 Posts
I don't like them. They run a major risk of your computer getting viruses/trojans. There are other ways to sample stuff anyways. Besides, it's not the same when you don't buy it because at least in my mind, you never feel like you own it. I guess you could say that about anything you download though.
Legally speaking, you don't own any media you purchase anymore as a result of the DMCA so personally to me that is a moot point.

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
I use utorrent + isohunt. I get speeds up to 7MB/s so i don't get the complaints about it being slow... downloading a movie rarely takes me more than 10-15 minutes.

For music, i mostly use soulseek. It's a wonky and outdated program, but it's great for finding rare stuff.

I still buy music, though. Artists need to get paid just like everybody else, and most musicians that operate outside of the mainstream aren't exactly making a lot of money right now. Sure, it's gotten a lot cheaper and easier to record, distribute and promote music yourself, but how feasible this is depends largely on the type of music you make. There are bands that need record sales to keep doing what they do: certain music is too expensive to record properly in order to be completely self-financed, it requires a considerable recording budget and for that they need a record label that's willing to invest in them... which of course is hard when nobody buys records anymore.

·
Registered
23 Posts
For music, i mostly use soulseek. It's a wonky and outdated program, but it's great for finding rare stuff.
Fascinating...I thought I was the only one who still used Soulseek lol. Yes its great for downloading single tracks (when I don't want to reply on Gnutella which is just flooded with bad content anymore) or stuff that is otherwise hard to get a hold of. I do wish it was maintained better, however.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Yeah, I use torrents and sites like Demonoid. I'm a little out of the loop as to what the best filesharing method is these days, but torrents work well enough.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I use utorrent + isohunt. I get speeds up to 7MB/s so i don't get the complaints about it being slow... downloading a movie rarely takes me more than 10-15 minutes.

I still buy music, though. Artists need to get paid just like everybody else, and most musicians that operate outside of the mainstream aren't exactly making a lot of money right now. Sure, it's gotten a lot cheaper and easier to record, distribute and promote music yourself, but how feasible this is depends largely on the type of music you make. There are bands that need record sales to keep doing what they do: certain music is too expensive to record properly in order to be completely self-financed, it requires a considerable recording budget and for that they need a record label that's willing to invest in them... which of course is hard when nobody buys records anymore.
Though it does matter what seeders your using, the bandwith your connecting to also matters. Sadly i dont have internet, so whenever i goto the library to use the internet and download torrents, i have to limit the max bandwith, or else i'll make all the nearby computers start lagging, BADLY, because i steal all the bandwith ;P

41 - 49 of 49 Posts