Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The art of dream control.

I actually found PerC after participating a few weeks at the DreamViews community. Here, I stumbled across something extraordinary. I'm talking about total control - you feel as conscious as you do in real life, but the possibilities are obviously only limited by your imagination. This is called attaining "Lucidity".

We've all had it to some degree. You know when you're dreaming, and all of a sudden (while in the dream) you become more conscious - and this gives you semi control over it? Well imagine full, unlimited, conscious control - and you have Lucid Dreaming.

I dabbled in this for a few weeks, as I found it personally quite easy. I started out with the most difficult task, a WILD (Wake-Induced-Lucid-Dream), in which you trick your body to sleep, while your mind stays perfectly awake. Once this happens, you can create a dream (anything) and enter it fully conscious...it sounds crazy I know. I thought so too, until I gave it a try.

To do so, I simply sat in the office chair, and closed my eyes. In order to trick my body, I reversed my breathing - as I remembered my vocal coach commenting that the breathing technique we use to sing, is exactly how we used to breathe as toddlers, and also how we still breath while *asleep*. I stayed perfectly still, not moving a muscle (literally). Even when I became extremely uncomfortable in that position (the discomfort is an illusion - simply your body testing to see if the mind is awake - if it is, you'll shift position, and the body will not continue to shut down). So, the discomfort fades after a couple of minutes, and straight afterwards, the body shuts down. This was my first try, and it was (for me) quite scary. I entered sleep paralysis. This is normal, it happens every time you sleep, but you're just not aware of it (the paralysis prevents you from acting out your dreams in real life). It feels just like paralysis should lol, not a nice feeling - the body feels very prickly and immobile. Then slight vibrations (throughout your body) follow - another normal sleep function - shortly after I had a very bizarre "falling" sensation. Apparently, a few seconds after this, you enter a lucid dream (you simply create a scene in your imagination, then suddenly you're in it - totally conscious). However. a couple of minutes into the "vibrations" I began to have the feeling that I was being seperated...or tugged, away from my body. As if I were sliding out. I stopped absolutely immediately - opened my eyes and my body woke up.

I cannot explain what it felt like - you've got to experience it to know exactly what I mean - but as surely as I know when an insect bites a certain leg or when my hand is burning from hot water...I knew I was being separated from my physical body. And this, I have no intention of dabbling with.

10 minutes is all it took.

To me, the possibility of total dream control is very enticing - and apparently I've the capability to make it happen (at least the beginning stages). But I am not about to flirt with out of body experiences (which I firmly believed was a New Age nutter fabrication until now). Imo, the ramifications of this are very dangerous. Its not something to be toyed with.

Thoughts? Comments? If you really want, you can try it for yourself - tho I can't say this is very high on my recommendation list. But I do find the whole idea very intriguing.

·
Registered
5,694 Posts
Wow sounds really cool! I think I have done this before just unknowingly. I shall give it a "conscious" try! :D

·
Registered
77 Posts
I used to go to DreamViews all the time. With some effort, I can have lucid dreams 3 or more times a week. I think I had one yesterday, but I don't remember what I did. Lucid dreaming can be very fun if you know how to make them last longer.

A very important thing to know is lucidity =/= control. Lucidity is knowing that you are dreaming, you can have little to no control, but still be lucid.

·
Registered
5,694 Posts
I used to go to DreamViews all the time. With some effort, I can have lucid dreams 3 or more times a week. I think I had one yesterday, but I don't remember what I did. Lucid dreaming can be very fun if you know how to make them last longer.

A very important thing to know is lucidity =/= control. Lucidity is knowing that you are dreaming, you can have little to no control, but still be lucid.
Do you ever have a dream and then go back over what happened in the dream when you wake up and realize that what you were dreaming made no sense but at the time it did? I can normally tell when I have a lucid dream because while the dream is happening I'll think to my self this is wack! I think I'll change it!

·
Registered
77 Posts
Do you ever have a dream and then go back over what happened in the dream when you wake up and realize that what you were dreaming made no sense but at the time it did? I can normally tell when I have a lucid dream because while the dream is happening I'll think to my self this is wack! I think I'll change it!
All the time, I read that the part of the brain the deals with common sense does not function much while asleep, which is why some of us do not become lucid more often. Though if you take the effort to pay attention or tell yourself that you will do a reality check if something doesn't seem right, you may be able to realize that you are dreaming.

·
Registered
5,694 Posts
All the time, I read that the part of the brain the deals with common sense does not function much while asleep, which is why some of us do not become lucid more often. Though if you take the effort to pay attention or tell yourself that you will do a reality check if something doesn't seem right, you may be able to realize that you are dreaming.
I think that's a part of how I do it. Okay how about this, have you ever had a dream or a part of a dream and said to your self "that was awesome let's to it again". So then you rewind and do it again and again and again. Or you do it again and change some small part thinking that made it cooler! I do that all the time!

·
Registered
77 Posts
I think that's a part of how I do it. Okay how about this, have you ever had a dream or a part of a dream and said to your self "that was awesome let's to it again". So then you rewind and do it again and again and again. Or you do it again and change some small part thinking that made it cooler! I do that all the time!
No, my dreams aren't very crazy. My dreams aren't cool either. They're almost like real life except for nightmares about a zombie apocolypse or world ending in some cosmic disaster every once in a while. :laughing:

·
Registered
4,393 Posts
I began to have the feeling that I was being separated...or tugged, away from my body. As if I were sliding out. I stopped absolutely immediately - opened my eyes and my body woke up.
I experience this all the time, deliberately. Like your soul is trying to leave your body, right? Does it start from your feet? I have never gotten farther than feeling it in my lower legs.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Reactions: Psilo

·
Registered
5,694 Posts
No, my dreams aren't very crazy. My dreams aren't cool either. They're almost like real life except for nightmares about a zombie apocolypse or world ending in some cosmic disaster every once in a while. :laughing:
Oh that must suck, mine make no sense what so ever. Like one time water in my dream well it was still water but it had a static pattern on it. Like static on a TV. Weird.

·
Subterranean Homesick Alien
11,928 Posts
My mom experiences lucid dreaming all the time, and she has since she was a kid. I think that my sister does it also. They're both INJs, so I'm wondering if it has anything to do with Ni...
Anyway, I never really remember my dreams lol

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
But in order to gain control, you must be lucid. That's what I'm getting at. :wink:

Jinamuro said:
I experience this all the time, deliberately. Like your soul is trying to leave your body, right? Does it start from your feet? I have never gotten farther than feeling it in my lower legs.
It didn't start in any particular place - where I felt it most was my chest. It was very uncomfortable but I knew exactly what it was - even though I know next to nothing of the so-called "technique" to achieve out-of-body experiences. Again, its a sliding feeling. As if I were moving out, away. I challenged my best mate to give Lucid dreaming it a shot haha, and he got as far as me too. But he described it as being tugged from the "top of his head", out.

There could be a perfectly viable scientific explanation for this phenomena, but I'm a very gut-instinct person when it comes to psychology-related issues, and I'm ABSOLUTELY certain it was the beginning of a soul-body separation. Extremely bizarre, and not at all a realm I'd like to mess with. :dry:

·
Registered
4,393 Posts
It didn't start in any particular place - where I felt it most was my chest. It was very uncomfortable but I knew exactly what it was - even though I know next to nothing of the so-called "technique" to achieve out-of-body experiences. Again, its a sliding feeling. As if I were moving out, away. I challenged my best mate to give Lucid dreaming it a shot haha, and he got as far as me too. But he described it as being tugged from the "top of his head", out.

There could be a perfectly viable scientific explanation for this phenomena, but I'm a very gut-instinct person when it comes to psychology-related issues, and I'm ABSOLUTELY certain it was the beginning of a soul-body separation. Extremely bizarre, and not at all a realm I'd like to mess with. :dry:
I'm usually laying down when I experience it. Usually starting in my lower legs, it feels like my soul is floating up out of my body. I know what you mean by it being uncomfortable, but I don't think you should be afraid. I don't think your soul is going to float away and not come back.

·
Banned
596 Posts
I was really into it about a year ago - Actually, I can't say I was really into it, because I never kept a dream journal or anything. MY dream recall is shit. If I start LDing again, I will practice with more... dedication this time.

Most of my lucid dreams were started using the WILD method. Here's a link of most of the methods (for some reason there's no DILD - Maybe it falls into one of those other categories?):

Lucid Dreaming/Induction Techniques - Wikibooks, collection of open-content textbooks

The WILD method is so... trippy, but I love it. It was only really scary this one time, when I heard... some kind of inhuman screaming. It was like a Stalaggh song (medley of mental patients screaming.) That was scary. But it would be cool to experience it again.

·
Registered
77 Posts
One good way to become lucid is when you wake up. Once you wake up, don't move, try to re-enter the dream by making your body go back to sleep, but not your mind. This technique is called dream re-entry. You can do it multiple times a night, but you are gambling with your recall when you do it more than once. Sometimes sleep paralysis cause uncomfortable sensations, one time it felt like by head was going to explode, it was cool though.

But in order to gain control, you must be lucid. That's what I'm getting at.
That's not entirely true. One time I was getting ready for school, following my usual schedule, then I woke up. I had control of the dream, but I didn't know I was dreaming, which means I wasn't lucid. Control can come with lucidity, but not all the time.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
That's not entirely true. One time I was getting ready for school, following my usual schedule, then I woke up. I had control of the dream, but I didn't know I was dreaming, which means I wasn't lucid. Control can come with lucidity, but not all the time.
I have to disagree. To be in "control" you must recognise its a dream first (i.e. Lucid). If you had recognised this, instead of getting ready for school as you ordinarily do - you would have turned your backpack into a jetpack, chucked on a glittery cape, and flew to the class room. Or something like that. That's the dream control I'm referring to.

RedDeath9 said:
MY dream recall is shit. If I start LDing again, I will practice with more...
For some reason or another, I'll usually recall at least two or three dreams from the night before - I don't keep a journal, because when I wake up I do usually remember a couple. But unlike Monte, I'm not usually lucid in my dreams - occasionally I'll become semi-aware its a dream (especially when something terrible happens, I'll recognise it and immediately wake myself up) but otherwise, not so much at all.

RedDeath9 said:
Most of my lucid dreams were started using the WILD method. Here's a link of most of the methods (for some reason there's no DILD - Maybe it falls into one of those other categories?):
Aye the other LDing methods are pretty useful, but nothing really beats the WILD ride haha!

·
Registered
77 Posts
I have to disagree. To be in "control" you must recognise its a dream first (i.e. Lucid). If you had recognised this, instead of getting ready for school as you ordinarily do - you would have turned your backpack into a jetpack, chucked on a glittery cape, and flew to the class room. Or something like that. That's the dream control I'm referring to.
Why is control in quotations? Do you mean consciously walking around in a dream kind of control or do you mean the kind of control in which you can do anything, such as fly or transform into an animal? There are different levels of lucidity, the lowest level being no control, but lucid and the highest level being I can do anything that I want because I know this is a dream and laws of reality, such as gravity, do not apply to the dream world. You can also do all the stuff you mentioned, but not have any sense that it is a dream.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts