Personality Cafe banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Before I start, sorry if this is a long post, it looks like it'll be long from the posting screen.

I've thought about signing up here and posting a topic about this like a million times but I've never done it, until today anyway. This is after I took loads of different personality tests yesterday (although some of them were 4-question personality tests) and got so many conflicting results, so I have no idea what I could be. Although, I am definitely an introvert.

I've also studied MBTI like crazy and I can almost always tell what traits a question is asking me about, so then I think I might be either subconsciously or consciously willing myself towards whichever answer I already think I am, which ends in me doubting the results of tests I take, even though I felt fine and was happy with my decisions on the tests when I took them. I guess I should also mention I take forever to decide on my answers and tests usually take MUCH longer for me to complete than they're meant to (prime example: the test at 41q.com is meant to take 5 minutes iirc - which I noticed when I was about halfway through the test - but I think it took me nearly an hour yesterday).

I also think that if people here can come to a conclusion on what type I am, it should help me to accept it and stop being unsure on what personality type I am.

Anyways, I'm gonna go through my daily routine here and see what you think:

-On days when I have college I'll get up when my alarm goes off at either 6:35 or 7:35 depending on what time I have to start college, otherwise on my days off I'll just get up whenever (usually about 10 AM).
-After this on 5 days of the week (looking to cut it down to 3 soon) I'll work out in my bedroom, I give myself an hour for it but I'm usually done in 40-50 minutes.
-Then I get up and have breakfast - always the same thing every day: a chocolate milkshake, a breakfast bar and a lot (125g) of peanuts, but that doesn't really matter.
-After this I'll have a drink of water, which is always the same amount - I fill a mug (I have 4 mugs of the same shape and size and I always use one of these) that can hold about 1/3rd of a litre of water all the way to the top and then I drink it all there and then.
-Then I go to the bathroom, shave, clean my teeth, etc.
-After this I'll come down and either go to college on college days or be on the computer until lunch on days off. When I'm on the computer I'm either chatting to 1 or 2 close friends or I'm reading forums (never posting though), both to find out about things and to form and strengthen my opinion on things.
-For lunch (which is usually around 1 PM on my days off, and whenever I get time at college) I eat the same thing every day again, this time some cheese sandwiches, and I have another drink of water afterwards. If I'm at college I'll have taken 2 500ml bottles of water with me. I drink both of those pretty quickly if I did.
-Then it's computer time again.
-If I'm not engrossed in something I'll remember to have another drink of water on my days off at about 3-4 PM.
-At around 6 it's dinner, but I don't control any of this and I'm not the one who cooks for the whole family so I don't eat the same thing every day here. I would if I could.
-Then it's computer time till around 10 when I have a shower, but that's often only to fit in with my parent's schedules, I'd probably shower right before bed if I had more of a choice.
-After my shower I'm online till around midnight when I go to bed.

I know the above sounds kind of judgerish, but I don't like to plan and do things, and a problem I get when I'm asked whether I would rather do something spontaneously or plan it, is that I would rather do nothing at all, so I don't know. I guess it doesn't help that I always imagine "doing something" as a big social event, which of course I'll never like because I'm an introvert. Does going online with no plan of what I'll do today or no idea of who I'll be able to talk to or what will be waiting for me (to think about) on a forum count as doing things spontaneously?

·
Registered
838 Posts
From your post all I can conclude is IXTX; From the way your post is structured I would say IXTJ. Because you have memorized your routine I guess ISTJ, but there is room for advancement depending on your interests. There is also the possibility of you being a structured ISTP; Which is not that rare.

Reactions: AKH

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
From your post all I can conclude is IXTX; From the way your post is structured I would say IXTJ. Because you have memorized your routine I guess ISTJ, but there is room for advancement depending on your interests. There is also the possibility of you being a structured ISTP; Which is not that rare.
Hmmm, thanks, that's quite interesting. I used to test ISTJ a lot, then I took a cognitive functions test and got INFP (the two types are actually pretty similar when you look at the functions) and it seemed to fit better.

I don't like to talk about my emotions because this makes me emotional and I can cry pretty easy when I'm doing this (and I cried A LOT when I was a kid ...) so I'm emotional but I don't like to be emotional. Does that make me a thinker or a feeler?

·
Registered
838 Posts
Don't become a Sociopath INFP; We don't need another dexter.

Just because you feel doesn't make you a feeler; The thinking and feeling functions are based on what your mind jumps to first when you see an event. Feelers tend to .... feel and then think. While thinkers tend to think and then feel. Your mind puts priority on either thinking or feeling. I describe thinking like this. The natural human reaction to a event is feeling. Thinkers bypass this event without even noticing it and go straight for logic. While feelers spend time at the reaction and than go to thinking after their emotions are calmed.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Don't become a Sociopath INFP; We don't need another dexter.

Just because you feel doesn't make you a feeler; The thinking and feeling functions are based on what your mind jumps to first when you see an event. Feelers tend to .... feel and then think. While thinkers tend to think and then feel. Your mind puts priority on either thinking or feeling. I describe thinking like this. The natural human reaction to a event is feeling. Thinkers bypass this event without even noticing it and go straight for logic. While feelers spend time at the reaction and than go to thinking after their emotions are calmed.
lol :laughing: thanks for that, it's helping me :) I guess I should mention about the J/P divide that I like to get the bulk of my routine out of the way so I can relax, that's why I do most stuff in the morning. I think that's a judging characteristic isn't it?

·
Registered
838 Posts
Depends; Some Ps, including myself, like to get things out of the way so we can have more freetime. I try to get a lot of boring things out of the way because if I don't I'll forget about them, but I have a horrible memory as my reason why.

·
Banned
3,849 Posts
Feelers also place more value on people. So for a very feelsy type feeler it would be difficult to watch psychpath horror movies or realistic war time movies. Because these involve people getting killed in gruesome ways. For a thinker it is easier to watch these kinds of movies because people for them are lower on their value scale. Thinkers have trouble identifying and expressing their emotions. Feelers have trouble controlling and rationalizing their feelings.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Depends; Some Ps, including myself, like to get things out of the way so we can have more freetime. I try to get a lot of boring things out of the way because if I don't I'll forget about them, but I have a horrible memory as my reason why.
interesting :laughing: I probably am a perciever. I've never been ambitious (don't know if this is a sign of anything? maybe thinking or realisticness) and I've always cared much more about my free time than my work, which I just see as something I will do when I'm older to survive, and not something I'm interested in or like doing (because I can't think of much I could do for work that I would find interesting ...).

I used to work out at nights as well as in the mornings and I could never think straight or be content or relaxed until the night had come and I was finished. I also love days when I have absolutely nothing to do.

Something I notice I do is that I start doing something just for fun, and I end up liking it enough to, by coincidence, have done it every day for a little while, and people have noticed that, and then I will usually keep on doing that every day even when I stop liking it, just so people don't see a change in me. I eventually stop doing the activity but it can take a while. It's happened with my blog. I used to write posts for that every day as soon as I had the time to (either in the mornings or after school) because I had gained the reputation of posting every day. After about 2 years I stopped doing that because I really didn't like doing it, but I recently started up again, posted because it was fun and then by coincidence started posting every day, thankfully only posting small things like a single image or video. I can schedule posts for different times and I currently have something set up for every day up until August 11th, so I don't actually have to do something every day.

Also, is there a way of telling if I'm a sensor or an intuitor? I've always had problems with that.

OH and before I forget, that image with the spinning dancer/ballerina/whatever almost always goes clockwise for me (I can sometimes change it to anti-clockwise if I move my head about but it goes back to clockwise when I blink), which apparently makes me a perciever although I'm not sure how reliable that is.

Feelers also place more value on people. So for a very feelsy type feeler it would be difficult to watch psychpath horror movies or realistic war time movies. Because these involve people getting killed in gruesome ways. For a thinker it is easier to watch these kinds of movies because people for them are lower on their value scale. Thinkers have trouble identifying and expressing their emotions. Feelers have trouble controlling and rationalizing their feelings.
Thanks for that :happy: I don't have a problem watching horror movies, I'm not very empathetic lol.

And I think I have more trouble identifying and expressing my emotions than I do controlling and rationalising them.

·
Banned
3,849 Posts
Thanks for that :happy: I don't have a problem watching horror movies, I'm not very empathetic lol.

And I think I have more trouble identifying and expressing my emotions than I do controlling and rationalising them.
Yep definite T then. T values competition and gets turned on by it. So in horror movies it actually gets turned on by competitive element - psycho chasing some girls with a chainsaw, they are competing for survival, who will win and how - this interests T. Same with war - bunch of dudes competing for who will win. Ts in general also like watching sports, playing competitive computer games, competing for real or jokingly. On the downside they can take competition too far sometime, to their friends and family, and turn them off by saying rude or inconsiderate things.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yep definite T then. T values competition and gets turned on by it. So in horror movies it actually gets turned on by competitive element - psycho chasing some girls with a chainsaw, they are competing for survival, who will win and how - this interests T. Same with war - bunch of dudes competing for who will win. Ts in general also like watching sports, playing competitive computer games, competing for real or jokingly. On the downside they can take competition too far sometime, to their friends and family, and turn them off by saying rude or inconsiderate things.
One thing I heard though is that Fs tend to dislike conflict/disharmony while Ts tend to view it as a normal part of relationships, and I identify strongly with the feeling side on this issue. I think conflict is unnecessary and I hate it, I will pretty much never start a fight with someone unless they start a fight with me, OR I don't like the way they're talking to me (often it can be to do with their tone of voice e.g. if they sound like they think they're better than me) which is another thing common in feelers.

I don't care so much about the points someone makes in an argument, and I like the idea of civilised debate (i.e. where everyone is nice to each other, there's no raised voices or insults or whatever and a good debate on some kind of issue can be had). I care more about the way someone makes their points. If someone is trying to resolve an issue with me and they're aggressive or patronising then I'll just make it worse, I'll be insulting and I won't listen to what the other person has to say. I guess I see conflicts more as a way of ending relationships than as a natural part of them and I have a pretty bad reaction to them because of this.

If someone wants a fight (i.e. they're talking to me aggressively, like they want one) then I'll give them one and we can talk later.

I can also sort of be swayed by other people's emotions. If I make someone upset or sad (whatever they did to earn it) I feel really guilty and want to make things better again. Same goes for if I just see a sad person, as long as they have no aggression, I want to make things better for them (although I don't usually since I'm no extrovert) and I feel protective of them.

I have empathy for people once I have some kind of connection with them and I like them as people, but I don't have any empathy for strangers who've made no first impression on me. If I hear of someone dying on the news, whether or not I feel sorry for them actually depends on how they're portrayed on there. If I don't like the person I don't care that they died, and sometimes I even feel anger, I guess because they're getting recognition or treatment that I don't think they deserve (because I feel like they're bad people, and not the inevitably good person that's being portrayed).

I can sometimes empathise a little with fictitious characters in movies, but not as much as a real person, obviously. I don't like serious parts in comedic movies or programs.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
OK, after some consideration of my own I have come to some conclusions, but before I get to that I wanna say I'm not happy with the way I portrayed myself in the OP, it kind of just focuses on the details and doesn't get across the original idea/point I had behind it - that I spend almost all of my time on a computer. That is basically my life, beyond what I have to do. And I'm not ashamed to admit it. :cool: (for those of you interested, yes I am on a computer course at college :tongue:).

Alright now on to the things I've found out.

First of all, I've gone weeks without leaving the house before, so I'm definitely an introvert. This rules out all 8 extroverted types.

Second of all, after studying functions for days on end (probably the last ... 3 days or so, maybe more time before that as well) I can conclude I'm a definite Te/Fi user and not the other way round (Ti/Fe). My sense of morals just is, I don't look to other people's opinions to decide what is right and wrong, and while I don't necessarily look to the experts' consensus on a logical issue, nor am I skeptical, it was hard for me to see how someone could form a view on logic without external influence/guidance, and I am very likely to believe a certain stance on a logical issue if many other people believe it too (my morals on the other hand are independant).

I also exhibit classic Te behaviour:

simulatedworld said:
Another good example is music theory...when I learned chord theory I naturally wanted to learn the rules of how chords fit together so that I'd understand the entire system holistically and could theoretically figure out any chord. Ti likes to figure out entire systems just for the sake of getting a glimpse of complete truth ("I want to play guitar, so I will learn the system of rules for how chords are built so I understand the whole thing at once"), whereas Te is much more goal-oriented and always wants to know how this system can be applied to something externally useful or used to accomplish our predetermined goals...so Te would be more inclined to first figure out what the goal is ("What do I plan to use my guitar playing for?") and then learn only what's necessary to complete that goal. ("I want to learn 'Freebird', so I will learn the chords and techniques necessary to play that song.")
Te will just jump in, caring only about what it wants to do, while Ti will learn how to do everything before then using this knowledge to do what it wants to do (if it ever decides to do anything). I liken this to video games I played as a child. I would just jump in and start playing without reading the manual, while my mother would always encourage me to read the manual first. I think she's an ISFJ and that fits perfectly considering they're Ti/Fe users.

So, this rules out the types INTP, ISTP, INFJ and ISFJ, in additional to all extroverted types, leaving us with INFP, ISTJ, INTJ and ISFP.

I could probably rule out the functions Se and Ni (which would take out INTJ and ISFP from the mix). I'm not sure I understand these functions as well as I understand Ti/Te/Fi/Fe (they just seem like simpler concepts to me), but since I'm often daydreaming and rarely aware of my surroundings (awareness of surroundings = Se), yet I regularly think about past events when I'm making decisions (Si), I think I can rule out Se, and with that Ni would go too.

But, for extra clarity let's look at Ni and Ne. Ni makes us change the way we look at things, to come up with new definitions for them and, I assume, explore new possibilities by looking at things from different perspectives (which seems like something that would be very taxing for me to do ...), while Ne looks at how things could be changed and predicts or guesses what would happen if certain things took place. My interpretation of it is along the lines of thinking "what will happen if I do this?" or in the way I use it (daydreaming) "what could happen if I did this? or if this happened? or if this happened and then I did this? or this?". I also noticed another distinction between the two that's helped me decide, if I may quote an article on this site another time :proud: ...

simulatedworld said:
Ni doesn't pay attention to external conditions outside the self so it doesn't care if anyone else grasps the ideas the same way the Ni user does. To Ni, I get the significance and that's all that matters. Ni songwriters (e.g. Thom Yorke, INFJ) will often write lyrics that could not possibly make any sense to other people without a direct explanation from the writer, but they don't really care because Ni considers intuition such a personal thing that it can't make its perspective/ideas clear to others very easily at all, and frequently doesn't even bother trying.
simulatedworld said:
Ne wants very badly to be understood and appreciated by others. Note that Ne songwriters (e.g. Brandon Boyd, ENFP) will typically write enough context clues and such into their work that you can put the pieces together and infer what they were thinking when they wrote it. They want others to put the pieces together and get it.
If I had to choose between these two I would certainly choose the Ne option. I like the idea of leaving little easter eggs that could communicate a little bit of hidden meaning to people viewing the things I write or listening to the things I say.

SO, that leaves us, or more, me, with two possible personality types. ISTJ or INFP.

Now, I think I much prefer the abstract, or not real, to the concrete, and real, and I also think I'm a perciever since I'm indecisive, I don't like to make any plans or commitments at all, and will often adapt my plans/everyday routine to suit other people instead of trying to get it the other way around. I'm also often unhappy with my decisions once I've (eventually) made them and set them in stone, often going back and improving upon them, or just plain resenting them.

BUT

I've been very unsure on my S/N divide before and I used to consider myself a strong ISTJ (after a previous bout of research into the MBTI, and testing) so this is not an ideal method to go by when making the final decision between two types. From the things I think, I'm lead to be an INFP, but I can take (and have taken) the enneagram test to compare my results to usual correlations between MBTI types and Enneagram results to back up my decision or make me reconsider (and to be honest if I got a result that correlated with ISTJs it would have probably changed my mind).

I get high scores in both type 5 and type 9, and always have when I took the enneagram before. Since a lot of Nines, especially intellectual male Nines, often mistype as Fives, I'm probably a 9. The difference between 9s and 5s is that 5s are "intellectually contentious" while 9s would rather keep the peace. I have also read that 9s are optimistic while 5s are pessimistic.

So, looking at this, as I am an optimist and mostly uninterested in convincing other people of my logical/intellectual viewpoints I can conclude that I'm very likely a 9.

What does this correlate with? Well, according to this: http://personalitycafe.com/articles/18288-mbti-enneagram-correlation-according-personalitycafe-data.html, it correlates with INFP better than ISTJ, with the top 3 enneagram types for each being 4, 9 and 5 for INFP and 1, 6, and 5 for ISTJ (with 9 somewhere off in the distance).

Everything's pointing to INFP, so I'm pretty sure this is what I am. I'm not sure I needed to make this thread after all. :crazy:

Lastly, I'm gonna link to the article on the cognitive functions that I've been quoting in this post: http://personalitycafe.com/myers-briggs-forum/24032-intro-function-theory-more-detailed-descriptions-each-function-attitude.html

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
What do you do more, interpret and analyse the world around you or think about your own experiences and pseudo-experiences?

If you answered the first one, then you are most likely an IxxP or INFP.

I like how you mentioned jumping into a video game without reading any of the instructions. You sound like a curious person who wants to see things for himself and then make connections.

I once thought I was an INFP, but then realised that was wrong because I interpret things literally and concretely and I don't really look for hidden meanings.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
What do you do more, interpret and analyse the world around you or think about your own experiences and pseudo-experiences?

If you answered the first one, then you are most likely an IxxP or INFP.

I like how you mentioned jumping into a video game without reading any of the instructions. You sound like a curious person who wants to see things for himself and then make connections.

I once thought I was an INFP, but then realised that was wrong because I interpret things literally and concretely and I don't really look for hidden meanings.
It's definitely the first. :) Analysing the world around me certainly takes up the bulk of my thoughts, and as much as I can identify with thinking about past experiences to make a decision (Si) I certainly don't spend a lot of my free time thinking about what I've done in the past.

Thank you for your reply. :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts