Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Banned
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I met someone who from his actions and what a lot of guy friends said about him sounded a lot like an ISTP or ESTP, who when meeting him, everything about his facial cues and the voice intonation said ISFP. It really surprised me, because he does have that kind of "badass ISTP" image; he has a perfect ripped body, can be hot-headed and have that ISTP "seeing red", is good enough at fighting to hospitalize people twice his size, sometimes brutally slapstick sense of humor, can be quite vocal with funny, obnoxious slapsticky stuff (making funny voices in the next room) etc. Anyway, he is very masculine in some ways and part of that culture, but my intuitive reading strongly said ISFP (by that, I don't mean he's say, "introverted", but that he's an introverted feeling dominant with extraverted sensing secondary). I know typing others is always a pretty tricky topic but I have really high accuracy with all Fi users so I'm pretty sure it's accurate. My feeling was that the ISTP-look was more absorbed from his friends group that he is really integrated with, and feels dear to.

I know in PC, there tends to be discussion of what's more commonly seen in a given type, but I've seen on an increasing # of times as I've learned typing more people who appear more to be one type in terms of hobbies, slapstick, those types of things, but their body, face, voice cues etc clearly says another type, and the body signs turn out to be the right read. I'm curious if others have had this experience too.

I'm curious how many "masculine", badass, blunt, even loud-mouthed ISFPs there really are? I've mostly known more gentle ISFPs, but like with INFJs I'm getting the impression that there are quite a lot of masculine, even hypermasculine feelers of this type depending on cultural background.

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
So I met someone who from his actions and what a lot of guy friends said about him sounded a lot like an ISTP or ESTP, who when meeting him, everything about his facial cues and the voice intonation said ISFP. It really surprised me, because he does have that kind of "badass ISTP" image; he has a perfect ripped body, can be hot-headed and have that ISTP "seeing red", is good enough at fighting to hospitalize people twice his size, sometimes brutally slapstick sense of humor, can be quite vocal with funny, obnoxious slapsticky stuff (making funny voices in the next room) etc. Anyway, he is very masculine in some ways and part of that culture, but my intuitive reading strongly said ISFP (by that, I don't mean he's say, "introverted", but that he's an introverted feeling dominant with extraverted sensing secondary). I know typing others is always a pretty tricky topic but I have really high accuracy with all Fi users so I'm pretty sure it's accurate. My feeling was that the ISTP-look was more absorbed from his friends group that he is really integrated with, and feels dear to.

I know in PC, there tends to be discussion of what's more commonly seen in a given type, but I've seen on an increasing # of times as I've learned typing more people who appear more to be one type in terms of hobbies, slapstick, those types of things, but their body, face, voice cues etc clearly says another type, and the body signs turn out to be the right read. I'm curious if others have had this experience too.

I'm curious how many "masculine", badass, blunt, even loud-mouthed ISFPs there really are? I've mostly known more gentle ISFPs, but like with INFJs I'm getting the impression that there are quite a lot of masculine, even hypermasculine feelers of this type depending on cultural background.
I was so wrong about my ex. I had always thought him to be an NT like me, since he was not very emotionally expressive. But I got him to take the test last week, and he turned out to be an ISFP. In hindsight, I should have known, as he was *gentle* with me when I had one of those emotional bouts.

·
Registered
640 Posts
ISFPs kind of have a chameleon personality. . . we can adapt our behavior to whatever the situation calls for.

I think it's very possible for an ISFP to appear masculine, especially around a group of friends they are comfortable with.

I personally don't feel like I fit the sterotypical ISFP, but I'm pretty sure I'm not an ISTP. I can be loud-mouthed when it's appropriate, and I am blunt when I'm with good friends and we're giving each other a hard time. It's all in good fun, though. I can go back to being gentle in an instant, however, if the situation calls for it.

You won't know for certain what his type is until he takes the test and does some research on his own, but I certainly wouldn't rule out ISFP based on those behaviors you mention. That's my take on it, anyway.

·
Registered
ENFP
4,206 Posts
I dunno.. my impressions of ISFP males (dated one- disclaimer: he doesn't rep the entire ISFP male population, I know), but they don't seem to be the need to be 'macho' man types of guys..

They're rather laid-back and have their own vibe about them that makes them attractive in their own sense.

My NF ex bfs acted a lot more masculine than the ISFP ex, but that could also be due to other things.

In fact, I think one SJ ex I dated was the manliest one of all. When looking at his baby pictures? I could understand why. It was due to his own masking of his extremely fragile/somewhat delicate, pretty boy features he had while growing up. It's currently compensated with carrying lots of guns, big muscles and a huge truck.

Answer not commonly appreciated? Depends..:happy:

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
Anything is possible. Having any mbti with any enneagram, the combination could make a commanding feeler or a sensitive roughhouser. But they could be few and far between.

·
Banned
2,009 Posts
With my closest friends I feel secure enough to talk about anything, take everything out of term and shoot shit, because I know they will never misinterpret or judge me for what I say or do. I don't like to call the way I act or appear as being masculine/manly, or the opposite; feminine/girly. I simply am who I am.

·
Banned
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Haha, no worries MikeAngell, we are ALL who we are. It's in the layers of our selves that we find our intrinsic connection with the universe and others =)

With my closest friends I feel secure enough to talk about anything, take everything out of term and shoot shit, because I know they will never misinterpret or judge me for what I say or do. I don't like to call the way I act or appear as being masculine/manly, or the opposite; feminine/girly. I simply am who I am.

·
Registered
3,516 Posts

i'd also find out what his enneagram type is. most people who don't know me would not type me as an INFP. they think i am confident and slightly intimidating, when really i am just slightly nervous so i put a shield of sorts. my highest enneagram type is 8, it was the first time i took it four years ago when i was 18, and still is today, just as i've remained INFP all the times i've taken the test. i think both, of course, have to do, or could be because of genetics, but more than likely, my childhood, the household i grew up in, the schools i went to, etc.

being a feeling type doesn't make you weak; i'd say it's just the opposite. that deep feeling, or that explosive anger, while not the key to solving every situation, is needed sometimes, and is an extremely helpful tool. i know that it's helped me a lot. i have to laugh at people who look at others expressing emotion and scoff... i just know that they are too weak and insecure to ever make themselves vulnerable.

oh, let me try and clarify, i think it's more with the eye contact thing. i'm not some huge muscular hulk of a person. i've noticed that others will often break eye contact or their actions will be more.... diminutive (probably not the right word but eh). and it sort of makes me feel bad, because the last thing i want to do is to make others feel uncomfortable, but i can't really put others at ease when i myself am not at ease.... i hope all this had a point lol.

·
Banned
14,801 Posts
OMG Eminem is definitely an ISFP...he's a counterphobic 6 ISFP. He seems extremely Fi driven in his song-writing, and Se in his execution and performance.

He reminds people constantly that despite his image as a rapper he's "just Marshall Mathers" and is always writing songs about his mom, his ex, being a father...um, not your typical hardcore fare. Yes, Tupac sang "Dear Mama" but Eminem goes about things in this very very Fi "you've wounded me" and "look at how sensitive I am" kind of way, despite all his Se antics.

For sure, for sure. No way he's Se dom, too introverted when he's just being himself in public, and no way he's Ti in his motivations.

·
Registered
68 Posts
ISFP male and I certainly do not feel the need to be "macho". In fact, I have often referred to my deceased brother as being a "man's man" ... he was very outgoing, very loud, fun guy! (God how I miss him and love him...) He was ALL the "typical" guy things that I am not nor ever will be. He was a master carpenter (best in his field!), Boy Scout troop leader, camping enthusiast (eagle Scout himself back in the day), humanitarian, having been many times to Haiti to help build schools and churches and other dwellings. Made friends easily ... and could just as easily bust someone's head open if need be. He died doing what he loved three years ago ... skydiving. The OTHER guy f***ed up, causing my brother's death.

Me? I love the outdoors, but work in the health care/medical field. Patient care. Was also a Boy Scout, but under achiever that I am, never made Eagle. I am afraid of heights (my ONLY real phobia) so I would never skydive. Can't get it together enough on my own to volunteer for anything, let alone go to a foreign country to do it!

In short, ISFP, NOT a mach man by any stretch of the imagination.

<shrugs>

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Im necro-ing this thread because I think it needs to be brought up again, and why start a new thread when this one works just a well?

I talked a family friend into taking the MBTI test and he got ISFP, and considering the functions, it fits him quite well. He is definitely an introverted feeler, thats for sure. But reading the type descriptions...dang. It make you guys sound all girly and delicate and shit. I noticed that with many of the feeling type descriptions. It makes it harder to fit guys into them.

Ill admit that the test gave a % for the preferences and his F was fairly low, but still. Do any of you identify with more masculine things than what the descriptions give you?

·
Registered
4,583 Posts
I think I appear more masculine on the outside than I really am. One of my friends (most likely INTP) was telling me that to most people, I'd appear to be some badass guy who's going to pick a fight with them over nothing, but I'm actually nothing like that. At worst I'm an overly sensitive coward. So most people find it hard to take me seriously.

The reality is, the T-type is often forced upon men from an early age. Which I'm sure you all knew, but yeah... my dad's actually quite a sensitive soul, but he's been brought up to believe that showing emotion isn't manly, and that's lead to some relationship problems with my mum (who is a very strong F type). I had him typed as an ISTJ, but my mum reckons he could be an ISFP... which is really shocking to me. His Ti is very strong, but he supposedly also gets emotionally bruised easily, he just doesn't show it. So I suppose some men can be F-types masked as T-types... though typically this doesn't happen to ISFPs, because we hate being bound by social norms.

·
Banned
79 Posts
Ill admit that the test gave a % for the preferences and his F was fairly low, but still. Do any of you identify with more masculine things than what the descriptions give you?
I`ve been told before that I have an itimimidating and physically itimimidating presence (without even trying I might add). I`ve also been told I`ve got that `death stare` thing going on from time to time (once again without even trying)...

I definitly not an`alpha-male` type although I find I can get that type to back off quite easily.

I prefer to play the part of the strong silent type and get what I want without having to push.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I don't think that being an ISFP man automatically qualifies you as effeminate or less masculine as some posts above seem to suggest, as if making art is somehow effeminate. I'm certain masculinity has more to do with the amount of testosterone your body produces and the environment that produced you. When I think about the typical "macho" man, I think about someone who likes to run their mouth off and bully people. People who act tough, but when it comes time to battle they lack the testicles to stand and fight. I disdain bullies, mostly because they are the biggest cowards I have met. Bullies are the ones who'll beg shamefully for mercy during a beat down, no sense of pride that lot. I never lost a fight. People were afraid to fight me when I was a youth. I have only fought once as an adult and I try to avoid fighting as much as possible, no matter how much fun it may be. I used to get fucked with as a kid because I was an ISFP, my mom gave me crappy advice and said to kill them with kindness. I tried that, lets just say that blew over like a fart in church. My dad told me to scrap, but never to start them. Well scrap I did. I was gentle and still am at heart, but cruelty turned me into a dog. I played some sports: Hockey, Football, Soccer. I was suspended from school, hockey(multiple times), and soccer for fisticuffs on separate instances. I fought my own teammate during a hockey game and beat up a teammate during warm-ups before a soccer match. I didn't care, you mess with me I will mete out justice with my fists, be it my teammates or the other team. I never had any friends on my teams. I didn't fit their personality types. The older kids hated me because they were afraid to haze me and the kids my age hated me because I didn't get hazed, but the moral of the story is don't mess with the silent ones.

I guess that's what you have to do to protect yourself as an ISFP.

"Sticks and stones won't break my bones, but words will hurt me."

·
Registered
116 Posts
I'm an ISFP girl and no matter what, it sems i am extremely masculine. the way i talk, act, dress, all points far away from feminine... they even ave tests online that check this kind of thing out and every time it would be like >80% masucline...I mean I'm straight, i find guys attractive and the such but i have no need or desire to keep clean or behave in the way that is the girl norm. i too like camping and being outside but im usually inside...i think there is a fine line between what's considered a male norm and what's considered masucline. like yeah i like doing somethings that are considered masculine, but there are other things that guys do that i would never think of doing being a girl. (in my opinion, some girls do whatever the heck they want. ;) )

·
Registered
651 Posts
Luts put it perfectly. I had such a hard time doing things my mom and grandma wanted me to do, like ballet, taking class to learn the etiquettes of a lady, becoming a cheer leader. And they are both on the Judging side. Anyhow, as a kid, I wanted to climb into dirt caves, play with bugs, get on the basketball team. As a preteen, I HATED the fact that guys were bigger and stronger than girls, and that I was weird when I took a carpentry class. But I was still just as straight and feminine as the next girl. I guess I understand my gender quite well, and I'm just bored with the norms.

And I'd also like to add, the raunchiest, most disturbing crude jokes---come from that "docile" ISFP female.

Maybe it's not that ISFP guys are more effeminate than others, but that they feel so sure or confident in their own masculinity that they aren't afraid to get in touch with their other side.

·
Registered
5,517 Posts
I'm almost certain this guy is an ISFP...:
CM Punk

Reactions: m_dogg
1 - 20 of 39 Posts