Personality Cafe banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My whole life I'd always had such a tough time finding books that I enjoy reading.. the only ones I've ever read cover to cover are biographies, one was inspirational and the other was not so much..

With that said, anything I'm passionately interested in; whether it be movies, music, etc.. it has to be emotionally deep, and often with deep morals/values etc.

I really want to find good fiction books that are inspirational, about love and/or adventure, have great and unique stories/characters, deep themes/values, etc.. anything along those lines!

It could be fiction or non-fiction, but I want it to fit into this criteria I wrote above please! :)

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
I really relate! Aside from the classics, such as Pride and Prejudice or The Great Gatsby, both of which are very much favorites of mine, I never really go for fiction. Short stories, yes, but not fiction novels. (for pretty much the same reasons as you)

I often like reading nonfiction much more (for instance this summer I had a fabulous time reading a book about music and the brain).

The last few months I have been reading lots of very interesting things, but they're all for school--mostly architectural history. So I don't have current things I'm reading just for myself to recommend.

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
Reactions: charlie.elliot

·
MOTM October 2013
6,445 Posts
Well, I always enjoyed the Drizzt books (R.A. Salvatore) as his little essays before chapters were thought-provoking. Some of the novels are better than others--some tend to get gamey and preoccupied with their combat scenes.

I've recently gotten into the fantasy trilogies by Robin Hobb. I'm not sure I always agree with the "morals" presented (villains getting away with their villainry, or the good people never quite getting the rewards/recognition you think they would/should), but then, I think that may also be the point--that's life.

The Otherland series by Tad Williams was also quite good, as is Ender's Game and the various sequels by Orson Scott Card.

My nonfiction reads tend to be about natural history though, so can't help you there. The book 1491 by Charles C. Mann certainly challenged the way I thought about Native Americans and how the world changed upon the discovery of the Americas though.

·
Registered
4,095 Posts
Seconding Haruki Murakami - my favorite is 1Q84.

You can't go wrong with Orson Scott Card... Ender's Game, Speaker for the Dead, and the Alvin Maker series are my favorites, but pretty much anything he writes is really good (hint: avoiding reading his political essays on the internet). I'm currently reading a book of his short stories (Keeper of Dreams).

Margaret Atwood-- almost all her books are really good-- Oryx & Crake and the sequel, The Year of the Flood are great.

The Poisonwood Bible- by Barbara Kingsolver-- that's an unforgettable book

John Irving, Ian McEwan, Kazuo Ishiguro, David Mitchell, or Jeffrey Eugenides might appeal to you.

I just got into Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie, she's becoming really famous - Purple Hibiscus was really good.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
@Aizar do you know of any books that are like grand adventures, kinda like searching for a lost paradise, a hidden treasure etc?? I guess lord of the rings seems to be obvious, but anything else?? I've never read any, so feel free to share! :) thanks!

·
Registered
INFJ 4w5
521 Posts
Thank you for making this thread. It often takes me a long time in a book store before I chose a good book. Sometimes, I honestly don't know what I'm looking for. If anyone has suggestions on what I should read, please pm me and let me know. I love reading novels. It can be about anything: history, fiction, science, psychology, classic novels, etc.

As of right now I'm looking for a murder mystery novel to get into and can't seem to find one. I love mysteries and the unexplained. Anything that will distract my mind, I'll get into.

·
MOTM October 2013
6,445 Posts
@Aizar do you know of any books that are like grand adventures, kinda like searching for a lost paradise, a hidden treasure etc?? I guess lord of the rings seems to be obvious, but anything else?? I've never read any, so feel free to share! :) thanks!
Hm, I guess Otherland is kind of like that. It's a story where VR is a thing across all video games and internet browsing, and out of the blue people are getting stuck in the games. When a woman's little brother who lives in South Africa gets stuck, she also dives into the games, and has to go through all these strange video game worlds, unfolding a conspiracy as she goes. Her companion is a Bushman (a tribal people in Africa) who's learning about computers, so it has deeper philosophies in there as well.

Robin Hobb's books also involved big adventures--it's hard to summarize them because they also end up being quite complex. I would suggest highly reading them in the order they came out, as they tend to involve conspiracies or secrets that unfold throughout the books. Examples: a group of raiding pirates is attacking the kingdom with terrible magic. An outcast teams up with the queen to find the lost king, who has in turn found magic of a lost race that may be strong enough to combat that of the pirates. In later books, they go to the pirates' kingdom and learn more about the culture of the people they defeated, and in turn learn that they, too, were being made slaves to this magic, and that everyone has to work together to destroy its source. But then the source turns out to be this other thing, which involves them in a conspiracy of another country AND that of the dragons...and well, I'm still reading the last two, haha.

·
Registered
4,095 Posts
Game of Thrones? that would keep you busy for a while

·
Registered
32 Posts
Perks of Being a Wallflower and Catcher in the Rye are two of my favorites. FreeSpirit777, I would recommend the series His Dark Materials by Philip Pullman.

·
Registered
8,949 Posts
Perks of Being a Wallflower is a great choice--first book to make me feel like I was saying goodbye to a best friend by the end of it.

---

I relate to the feeling, though. I research books extensively, and even then it's not always perfect.

I just finished reading Shadow and Bone, a YA fantasy, and it was okay. I'll finish the series, but it certainly lacks a lot of emotion and creativity.

I actually write, and I write what I wish I could read, so my books are filled with interesting adventure, emotional depth and tribulations, and (what I feel is lacking in YA) interesting side characters with deep emotions and character arcs to themselves.

·
Registered
7,967 Posts
I pretty much like classical literature. Middlemarch is one of the most deep and moral books I can think of, it's my favorite. The Bronte sisters do well bringing a bit of adventure and a bit of fantasy into their literature books. Kafka's Metamorphosis is definitely a good read for a bit of fantasy that overflowed into real life. Henrik Ibsen wrote some of the most meaningful complex things out there and if you are interested in getting into classical lit, let me know. William Shakespeare, of course. C.S. Lewis wrote "Till We have Faces" which is a fairytale made into a deeply meaningful and religious analogy. The Newberry Award winners are usually awesome in every way-- and usually still very good when reading them as an adult. Some classical literature is low on bouts of imagination of an adventurous kind. So I do read some fantasy that has deep meaning and is almost poetically written. I recommend only 3 fantasy writers (I liked some other ones when I was younger, but now it's just these 2 fantasy authors for me. That is, other than J.R.R. Tolkien and Johnathan Stroud of the Bartimaeus trilogy and of course J.K Rowling. The 2 are: Patricia McKillip (I'd start with the Forgotten Beasts of Eld and then read the Riddle-Master trilogy.) Then Robin McKinley for fairy-tale type books that also just seem like fantastic things happening to an ordinary person. Her writing style is wonderful. When I was a teenager most everybody was reading Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time series. Books 1-5 are great. Good luck!

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Oh man, I have the opposite problem. My reading list is so long. I use to have the same problem though. I just keep an eye on new york times best sellers list and read those. It has never turned me wrong. Some of the books were boring but not bad by any means.

In the past two months I've gotten these books from the NYT best sellers list:

Currently reading oathbringer of the stormlight archive series and it is AMAZING.
Finished Joe Biden's Promise me Dad and that was a great heart felt book.
Finished Hillary Clinton's what happened a few weeks ago and it was ok.
Finished Massimo Pigliucci's how to be a stoic and I really, really liked that book. I am biased though as I try to follow the philosophy.
Finished Nassim Nicholas Taleb's book called antifragile. Very thoughtful book, author was a little abrasive for me but his idea's are intriguing and some are so spot on it makes you stop and think. Very intelligent and wise author.

·
Registered
6,326 Posts
Thank you for making this thread. It often takes me a long time in a book store before I chose a good book. Sometimes, I honestly don't know what I'm looking for. If anyone has suggestions on what I should read, please pm me and let me know. I love reading novels. It can be about anything: history, fiction, science, psychology, classic novels, etc.

As of right now I'm looking for a murder mystery novel to get into and can't seem to find one. I love mysteries and the unexplained. Anything that will distract my mind, I'll get into.
Try The Alienist by Caleb Carr.

·
Delphic Seer
18,076 Posts
Some suggestions:

·
Registered
705 Posts
My whole life I'd always had such a tough time finding books that I enjoy reading.. the only ones I've ever read cover to cover are biographies, one was inspirational and the other was not so much..

With that said, anything I'm passionately interested in; whether it be movies, music, etc.. it has to be emotionally deep, and often with deep morals/values etc.

I really want to find good fiction books that are inspirational, about love and/or adventure, have great and unique stories/characters, deep themes/values, etc.. anything along those lines!

It could be fiction or non-fiction, but I want it to fit into this criteria I wrote above please! :)
Try all seven of the Chronicles of Narnia. Only the Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe is directly allegorical. By CS Lewis.
Children have adventures and solve moral issues in a magical land call Narnia, overseen by a godlike lion named Aslan.

Lord of the Rings is a must. Especially if you've seen the movies. JRR Tolkien.
Frodo the hobbit and his fellowship of mythic beings must quest to destroy the Ring of Power and save Middle Earth. Is Galadriel an INFJ?

All three books of the Earth Sea Trilogy by Ursula LeGuin. Each book stands on its own.
The wizard Ged has various adventures involving moral decisions and spiritual issues in the island world of Earth Sea. Is Ged INFJ?

Tales of Gletha the Goatherd Lady by Roger Robbenolt
The true life childhood tales of an impoverished boy named Roger who lives in the back hills of Virginia during the Depression, who is friends with a mysterious spiritual old witch woman named Gletha. Strange things happen and deep insights are gained. Is Gletha an INFJ?

Crime and Punishment by Dostoyevski
A student named Raskolnikov commits murder thinking that objectivity will keep him from getting caught, but finds he has a conscience after all, and descends into paranoia. Does crime carry it's own punishment?

Siddhartha by Hermann Hesse
This is NOT about Buddha. It is the story about a man named Siddharta who goes on a journey to seek enlightenment, and sojourns in different stages to find it. It is a must read for anyone on a spiritual quest.

The Singer by Calvin Miller
An allegory of the life of Jesus, symbolized as a Troubador. Extremely poetic and inspired. For deep thinkers. Read slowly.

The Glass Menagerie by Tennessee Williams
Laura is a highly sensitive and introverted young woman crippled by pleurisy. Her mother fantasizes about her past gentlemen callers. Then one day, Laura's brother brings home a wonderful friend who brings life to Laura... Is Laura INFJ?

The Secret Garden by Frances Hodgson Burnett
The Story of contrary Mary, and her two childhood friends, the supposedly crippled Collin and the naturalist Dickon. It is the story of Mary's awakening through her helping of Collin and relationships with others, the Garden being the metaphor for Mary. Is Collin an INFJ?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts