Personality Cafe banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
are porcelain bowls safe to eat? been hearing about lead and other metals leeching into food, but haven't found any info
about porcelain, or which material of dinnerware bowls are safest..

any idea?

·
Registered
962 Posts
I wouldn't recommend eating a porcelain bowl, as the pieces could tear your esophagus and cause some major problems. :tongue-new:
(Sorry dude, I can't resist making jokes like that when the opportunity presents itself).

In all seriousness, I see nothing wrong with eating from a porcelain bowl provided that it isn't cracked and glued back together with a chemically-glue, or painted with lead paints.

My family has eaten from porcelain bowls for generations, and we haven't experienced any ill effects from it (that we know of).

Now, don't microwave plastic, metal, or styrofoam, because that is bad. Also, nonstick cookware can potentially leech chemicals into food. And China makes a lot of unsafe crap, so check where you get your bowls from.

Those are the only things I can think of that could be a potential safety hazard.

5,146 Posts
Lead? In porcelain? Shit, they should start going after stores that import all that crap from China.

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
Purchase a kit that tests for lead. Doesn't really matter if it's from China. Le Creuset is known to have traces of it too in their paints/glazes. It's hard to control and monitor "cross contamination" so, it makes sense.

It's difficult to remove and get rid of toxic chemicals/metals. You're probably drinking, showering away in chromium 6 and fluorine, etc. anyways.

·
Banned
3,806 Posts
Lead? In porcelain? Shit, they should start going after stores that import all that crap from China.
There's no lead in porceline. It can be in some glazes but as others have said only cheap manufacturing places like china use that shit.

Everywhere else they are coated in a food-safe clear glaze. That's why they are almost always shiny.

·
Banned
3,806 Posts
are porcelain bowls safe to eat? been hearing about lead and other metals leeching into food, but haven't found any info
about porcelain, or which material of dinnerware bowls are safest..

any idea?
Oh my God dude, just find yourself a nice padded room already, you're so terrified of everything.

Do you even know what you're talking about? Or do you just regergitate everything you read on paranoid and clueless yuppy blogs?

I work with porceline everyday. There is no lead in it. There CAN be lead in the glazes, but any 1st world country with regulatory standards wont allow it to be used on commercial goods.
In fact for any porecline to be sold as dinnerwre it has to be coated in a food-safe overcoat of glaze, which is just melted glass.

5,146 Posts
Oh my God dude, just find yourself a nice padded room already, you're so terrified of everything.

Do you even know what you're talking about? Or do you just regergitate everything you read on paranoid and clueless yuppy blogs?

I work with porceline everyday. There is no lead in it. There CAN be lead in the glazes, but any 1st world country with regulatory standards wont allow it to be used on commercial goods.
In fact for any porecline to be sold as dinnerwre it has to be coated in a food-safe overcoat of glaze, which is just melted glass.
I don't know how it works in his country, but here most of porcelain comes from China. I'm starting to suspect that no one controls what is imported from there.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts