Personality Cafe banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I know that this is a random question, but is it possible to "train" or "develop" cognitive functions through specific activities?

For example:

Ti- Puzzles like Sudoku, Chess, Checkers/Draughts
Te- Debating
Fe- Drama
Se- Sports, exercise

If anyone has any ideas could you please list them with reasons as to why?

For those opposed, could you give an explanation as to why you believe that it is not possible to train or develop cognitive functions in this matter.

Any ideas, thoughts or advice would be helpful and appreciated.

Thanks in advance :)

·
Registered
3,474 Posts
Hi guys,

I know that this is a random question, but is it possible to "train" or "develop" cognitive functions through specific activities?

For example:

Te- Debating
Fe- Drama
Se- Sports, exercise
In a way yes and no, yes because anything you do can be training ground. No, because you are grouping functions with certain actions as if that is what functions is. Let's take Se, Se could very well just as easy develop more through Drama. Te can very well develop through Chess, etc. etc. So unless you are intentionally trying to focus on one or the other, the natural course of one's function usage will play through.

·
Registered
3,704 Posts
Hi guys,

For example:

Te- Debating
Fe- Drama
Se- Sports, exercise

If anyone has any ideas could you please list them with reasons as to why?

For those opposed, could you give an explanation as to why you believe that it is not possible to train or develop cognitive functions in this matter.

Any ideas, thoughts or advice would be helpful and appreciated.

Thanks in advance :)
There's many things that develop each function. You never really just develop one function tho, it's more of one function that you develop more.

You wouldn't really develop Fe by getting into drama... tho maybe to a degree by resolving it?
I'd say that doing puzzles and such would develop your Ni since it is about patterns.
Debating would most likely be Ni + Ti since Ni does the planning and Ti does that arguing.
Sports etc. might be Se but you might as well use more Ni when doing sports by analyzing the environment more than participating in it etc.

The problem with developing functions on your own is that you always do what is comfortable to you, and that doesn't help you develop Se and Ti. I'd recommend getting an ISTP friend, they aren't pushy with Se due to it being in aux position and them being introverts and their Ti is something you can handle. ESPs can be overwhelming at times and your dominant Ni can be antagonizing for them. You should basically get to know @zynthaxx :tongue:

·
Administrator
INTP
11,794 Posts
Developing skills that are often associated with the functions is simply development of skills, but not development of the actual functions, since you will still be utilising the skills through your dominant function.

Meditation to develop functions, although I don't think they will develop in the ways that you probably expect them to.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts

·
Registered
3,474 Posts
Or maybe learn what "functions" mean

·
Banned
1,701 Posts
Or you could just accept that you aren't going to be developing or using perspectives that your ego violently rejects. You should honestly just deal with it really.

Reactions: electricky
1 - 13 of 13 Posts