Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I think most of my shortcomings (at least those that can be related at all to MBTI) are due my lack of access to Si. Forgetting or not noticing details, not remembering names/faces, nearly forgetting appointments, losing track of time, not being neat and tidy with my papers and stuff. And the saddest part of all is that I'm an Accounting major. I'm supposed to be good at this kind of shit.

As an ENxP, Si is my inferior function - but that also means I should at least be using it sometimes, which fails to happen.

I tried asking the ISTJs how they "flex" their Si, because as an ENxP, I can easily spout off numerous ways I use Ne, but they didn't really know, because it simply came naturally to them. (Then again, that 'ability' in and of itself might require a use of primarily Ne, lol)

But if you can put your finger on how to do so - What are some non-boring ways to bulk up my puny Si? (And I emphasize that it can't be boring, otherwise I probably won't stick to the training regimen.)

·
Banned
405 Posts
Let me think...

have you tried looking at an object in your immediate enviornment such as a peice of furniture and trying to remember if you ever saw that peice of furniture anywhere else?

Try looking at the features on someones face, focus on one or two and try to remember if you've seen anyone else with similar color eyes, skin, or nose shape.

Try smelling spraying some perfume on a friend one night, then spray it on a different friend another night and think back to the first night. Which friend does it suit more and why?

Um that's all i can think of for now, let me know if any work or if too boring lol

·
Registered
305 Posts
OK, I think most of my shortcomings (at least those that can be related at all to MBTI) are due my lack of access to Si. Forgetting or not noticing details, not remembering names/faces, nearly forgetting appointments, losing track of time, not being neat and tidy with my papers and stuff. And the saddest part of all is that I'm an Accounting major. I'm supposed to be good at this kind of shit.

As an ENxP, Si is my inferior function - but that also means I should at least be using it sometimes, which fails to happen.

I tried asking the ISTJs how they "flex" their Si, because as an ENxP, I can easily spout off numerous ways I use Ne, but they didn't really know, because it simply came naturally to them. (Then again, that 'ability' in and of itself might require a use of primarily Ne, lol)

But if you can put your finger on how to do so - What are some non-boring ways to bulk up my puny Si? (And I emphasize that it can't be boring, otherwise I probably won't stick to the training regimen.)
LOL, Si is by definition boring:
Si collects data in the present moment and compares it with past experiences, a process that sometimes evokes the feelings associated with memory, as if the subject were reliving it. Seeking to protect what is familiar, Si draws upon history to form goals and expectations about what will happen in the future.

You might be able to make it a bit more interesting though.
Try writing out all of the attributes from each of your friends that describe particular characteristics about them. Then use those lists to work out their personality types.
Write out what you had for dinner last night, then try to recall the last time you had the same dinner and the events surrounding it.
Go out with a bunch of your ISTJ friends, then talk to them the next day about what they noticed and compare it with what you noticed.

There's all sorts of stuff you can do to exercise your Si muscle, but it all requires data gathering.

·
Registered
836 Posts
heh this is funny. i have practically non-existent Si. i love change, challenge, and variety. ive also never attempted to boost my Si at all.

you write - "Forgetting or not noticing details, not remembering names/faces, nearly forgetting appointments, losing track of time, not being neat and tidy with my papers and stuff. And the saddest part of all is that I'm an Accounting major. I'm supposed to be good at this kind of shit."

we had a talk about this in the INFJ forum, and i think a lot of us do continual behavioral checks throughout the day. i, for example, write down what people tell me - and i leave post-it notes everywhere to remind me to do things. also little things like, whenever you leave a place doing the 'cell phone, wallet, keys' check.

have you ever seen Memento? there are days when i feel just like that guy, with memory loss. the thing that keeps me on track is just diligently checking everything, and writing reminders to myself.

·
Registered
6,397 Posts
I guess just constantly asking yourself "where have I seen this before" or "what atmosphere does this smell remind me of"?

·
Banned
3,417 Posts
I don't think Si had that much to do with memory. More to do with storing memory for future reference. The users put an emphasis on remembering certain things. They love nostalgia for that reason.

Si = Past.
Se = Now.
Ni = Future.
Ne = Now and Future.

·
Banned
405 Posts
LOL, Si is by definition boring:
Si collects data in the present moment and compares it with past experiences, a process that sometimes evokes the feelings associated with memory, as if the subject were reliving it. Seeking to protect what is familiar, Si draws upon history to form goals and expectations about what will happen in the future.
How is this boring? It's the subjective use of senses and memory to link what you smell, taste, hear, see etc to what is similar that you have experienced in past contexts. It's a sensory exercise and invovles reliving moments according to what sensory objects in the present evoke memories of the past. It's not really boring in so much that you are using all 5 senses to gather information although it's not nearly as exciting as Se which is immediately satisfying to the senses. :laughing:

·
Registered
6,397 Posts
Si is not boring. Even before I knew what is was, I always cherished that dim, nostalgic aura resonating in the darkest depths of my heart. I especially love it because it brings out my Fe, so I associate it with emotion. There is something so sweet, comforting, grounding about it...

But perhaps it's because I need it, you know? The endless, sometimes frightening possibilities Ne generates and the cold indifference of Ti (a function a part of myself will forever hold accursed) need an antidote every one and a while.:happy:

·
MOTM Nov 2010
10,402 Posts
Wouldn't it be important to experience the now (Se) so we can use the data for later? How can you retrieve sensory data (Si) if you weren't in the "now" to first take it in?

For instance, how can you later recall a familiar face or scent when you weren't present enough to experience the first time? If you were heavily in your mind using Ne when you walked by a bouquet of flowers, how is that scent of flowers later going to effect you? You did not use your sensory perception to take in the original data about the flowers, and then you are trying to somehow compare the present with a past you never experienced sensory wise. So how can it remind you of a past sensory experience you didn't experience?

I hardly take in my current environment while I'm floating around in my head concentrating on thought patterns, images from the past and imagining the future. When I am in a similar environment, I will often remember what I was thinking or feeling at the time. It puts me in the same mindset.

How would Si be the one to help you organize details exactly?

·
Registered
836 Posts
Si is boring in the sense that current actions are chosen due to familiarity with past events. Si choses the same thing, over, and over, and over again.

I think it's not difficult to argue that that sort of behavior is repetitive and boring.

·
Registered
6,397 Posts
Si is boring in the sense that current actions are chosen due to familiarity with past events. Si choses the same thing, over, and over, and over again.

I think it's not difficult to argue that that sort of behavior is repetitive and boring.
That's true, but I guess I associate boring with dry. Si is not dry (at least when combined with Fe). But it is certainly not original.

No offense to SJ's, but I'm glad I don't have it as my dominant function. But an NP still needs it to balance her/himself out.

·
MOTM May 2011
14,041 Posts
I went back and searched for where you asked ISTJs how they use Si, but couldn't find it. Link?

There seems to be a bit of confusion concerning Si, particularly how it operates in the past. To be clear, all types receive information via the five senses--it's how we use that data that differentiates our personality types and the corresponding dominant function.

In order to best understand something new, especially if it is complex, it is easier for me to be able to compare it to a similar thing that I've already experienced and have stored in my memory. So I take in data (in the here and now) and compare that data to a large and detailed memory bank to have a good understanding of the new experience.

Those that say it is boring or doing the same thing day after day, really don't have a clue about Si. If I stop and focus on particular smells, words, nuances of speech patterns, or a recording of a song, I don't just remember something from the past...I can relive it in living color, with surround sound and evoke the same feelings and emotions I felt years ago.

As for boosting it? I would be surprised if there is anything that you can do to actively promote one function over the other. Remember, they are not skill sets--they are attitudes toward objects or preferences in how we react to objects. You might manipulate your mind a bit, but when you get involved in living life rather than thinking about how you want to react to an object, you will revert back to what feels natural--your dominant function, for the most part.

HTH

·
Registered
6,397 Posts
Actually, you can boost them. It is highly desirable because developing other functions expands your consciousness or at least view on life. You just have to make sure that your dominant leads. Of course, it is harder the further you go down the hierarchy. For me, paying attention to Ne is easy, but Fe? Not so much. But it's still not impossible.

·
Registered
878 Posts
Those that say it is boring or doing the same thing day after day, really don't have a clue about Si. If I stop and focus on particular smells, words, nuances of speech patterns, or a recording of a song, I don't just remember something from the past...I can relive it in living color, with surround sound and evoke the same feelings and emotions I felt years ago.
I was just about to come and post something very similar to this. I don't find Si boring at all -- in fact I'm really happy that this is the way I experience the world. I love reliving the past in the sort of technicolour detail I do, with the smells and textures, feelings everything vividly there again. I actively seek out new experiences and sensations because they will often trigger the connections to these past ones, and it isn't boring and certainly not repetitive -- at least not in the way people seem to be meaning it.

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I went back and searched for where you asked ISTJs how they use Si, but couldn't find it. Link?

There seems to be a bit of confusion concerning Si, particularly how it operates in the past. To be clear, all types receive information via the five senses--it's how we use that data that differentiates our personality types and the corresponding dominant function.

In order to best understand something new, especially if it is complex, it is easier for me to be able to compare it to a similar thing that I've already experienced and have stored in my memory. So I take in data (in the here and now) and compare that data to a large and detailed memory bank to have a good understanding of the new experience.

As for boosting it? I would be surprised if there is anything that you can do to actively promote one function over the other. Remember, they are not skill sets--they are attitudes toward objects or preferences in how we react to objects. You might manipulate your mind a bit, but when you get involved in living life rather than thinking about how you want to react to an object, you will revert back to what feels natural--your dominant function, for the most part.

HTH
Oh yeah, I don't think I could ever make Si my dominant or even auxiliary function. I think I'd just like to be able to have it as a more reliable, handy tool. But I guess the problem with reacting with my Ne naturally is what PinkRasputin touched on - without using Si when presently acquiring data, you can't really use it to access it later on. And attempting to use my Ne to acquire stored data that got in by use of Ne...doesn't work.

Case in point: It's like when I place an object in an unlikely place by way of weird Ne reasoning, and I try to find it again with Ne ("hmm, where COULD I have placed my car key?"). Gets me all over the place and nowhere. lol

I'm using strap-on...I mean, full-on Ne right now to explain this, so if this makes no sense to you, I don't blame you. :crazy:

I was just about to come and post something very similar to this. I don't find Si boring at all -- in fact I'm really happy that this is the way I experience the world. I love reliving the past in the sort of technicolour detail I do, with the smells and textures, feelings everything vividly there again. I actively seek out new experiences and sensations because they will often trigger the connections to these past ones, and it isn't boring and certainly not repetitive -- at least not in the way people seem to be meaning it.
Very, very, very rarely do I have the luxury of experiencing this. However, I can easily create a NEW mental world with any kind of experience/5 senses I please. It's bizarre how real it can seem, though I have complete control over when and how I do it, so I'm not schizo or anything.

But that's probably not Si. That's probably just daydreaming. :crazy:

·
Registered
6,397 Posts
Very, very, very rarely do I have the luxury of experiencing this. However, I can easily create a NEW mental world with any kind of experience/5 senses I please. It's bizarre how real it can seem, though I have complete control over when and how I do it, so I'm not schizo or anything.

That's Ne I think. I do that a lot too.

·
Registered
878 Posts

Heh, well that sounds really fun. It's not something I have tried before but if that's daydreaming, then I want in on it! :laughing:

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
Visit places you've been to before. Focus on what things used to be like.. and stay away from how you felt back then. Just how everything was and the environment. You may be ENTP, as ENFPs find the delving into nostalgia quite easy due to their auxiliary Fi. As an ENTP, well.. you're not good at sticking to convention.. but think of them and try to see the underlying logic to it. The foundation of these things are Si, though a lot of Si users tend to miss it..

·
MOTM Nov 2010
10,402 Posts
Visit places you've been to before. Focus on what things used to be like.. and stay away from how you felt back then. Just how everything was and the environment. You may be ENTP, as ENFPs find the delving into nostalgia quite easy due to their auxiliary Fi. As an ENTP, well.. you're not good at sticking to convention.. but think of them and try to see the underlying logic to it. The foundation of these things are Si, though a lot of Si users tend to miss it..
But Niss did mention that the environment will also conjure up previous feelings related to that environment.

At times I wish there was no such thing as Si, especially if this is Si:

My ex and I once kayaked at a certain lake. We went our far and found a private spot to get sun, eat salami, cheese, and wine. It was a blast and a beautiful day.

We eventually broke up, I was sad yada yada.......

As usual I chose to separate myself from memories or reminders of him to get over it faster. But a couple of months afterwards, my running group trained around the very same lake. I had to run right by our kayak "spot" with ex. And BOOM I could remember the smell, the taste, the air, the sounds, what we were doing and what was said. Every detail was fresh and I remembered the happiness and the hopes I had.

It was awful because I felt like I was there. It was awful to "touch" the happiness. For those few minutes, there were no runners around me in my mind. My brain had gone back to the time with my ex. It was so fresh. God, it sucked. I busted out in tears and ran away.

We ran by it many more times on future training runs and it still takes me back to that time. I hate it. It's like my ex owns that spot.

I figure I need to go to that spot someday and have sex with someone or something in that very spot. :crazy: I've got to get my mind to stop relating the physical space with the memory of that day. And I bet if I ever do go back there with someone else, I'll want the same cheese and salami. I'll expect it. It just goes with the territory.

So Si users,would you call this Si?

Reactions: CataclysmSolace
1 - 20 of 64 Posts