Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have you been subject to lasting shock as a result of an emotionally disturbing experience or physical injury?

This would be traumatized. I have. Before I knew about mbti and types etc.. I thought the only person that could understand life like me would have to have been traumatized at a young age. Deep pain that never came to a conclusion... I learned hey this place is evil and it happens.. Im over it now, I think or the walls are just high enough now. Im not going to share what happened and dont want you to either.

I dont want to pry into your life. I really dont want anyone to get hurt here.. I would just like to put it to rest in my mind.

Do you think the INFJ was/is hurt?

·
MOTM October 2013
6,418 Posts
Meaning, were INFJs something else before their trauma?

Trauma changes people in strange ways. I tend think of MBTI as your "default setting" however, present before and after, though you may not make use of it. My trauma made me more J-ish. I don't know if that's because I was J to begin with and it got reinforced, or the something that happened made me think that J was better. I used to test as P a long time ago as a kid, but I've also heard that J is one of those traits that only starts showing up more and more once someone matures. Also, my childhood was not a very good environment for me to be my true self in.

For now? I still feel the pain. I don't know it's something that I'll be able to ever shake off entirely. It still affects me in ways I'd rather it didn't.

But for changing my MBTI type? I'm not sure. I could argue for both ways, but I'm going to say it's an inborn thing that doesn't really change at the core. You can cut your hair short or tie it back in a ponytail to make it look different, but its still the same hair.

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
Taking the personal stories out of my original post, trauma has helped force me out of my shell against my will; again and again and again. I don't want anyone to pity me so I am not sharing the stories here, in this post. Yes it does help..Surviving/experiencing traumatic experiences sparks accelerated growth in my opinion.

·
Banned
1,933 Posts
I have gone through periods of very emotionally tough times, yes. How this would effect my type, I don't know. It would be curious to see a confirmed parallell, but how does a thought processing function like Ni even come into picture in that case?

·
Registered
3,610 Posts
I tend to think we stay with the same type despite trauma -- it's just certain types are likely to react in certain ways. Though by no means does everyone within a type react the same. Maybe sometimes we come across as a type we aren't due to trauma?

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Everyone here has very good insights into this topic. Thank you. I like the idea that we are born this way.. and believe that also. BUT when I was younger. It felt like I was alone not physically I have siblings.. what I mean is emotionally? mentally? I found no one around me could see pain in others.. or understand the depth of stuff like me. As I grew and understood emotions I felt others emotions. (empathy) I do recall having this perspective before trauma entered my life. But I also know that after the cold water surrounded it was my personal perspective was concreted in.

I think what I am getting at is that in reflection I believed we all started the same.. we determined our prefences and the strength of them by our reality and experiences. This was a backward logic starting at.. Im alone. no one understands me working to the earliest memories I could recall. Fast forward to late 20s and discovering MBTI and other classifications. I learned we are born like this... but that still has some conflict with the trauma theory.

It is evident that an INFJ could feel traumatized easy but I wonder are we all traumatized?

·
Banned
1,933 Posts
It is evident that an INFJ could feel traumatized easy but I wonder are we all traumatized?
If being traumatized was a prerequisite for being an INFJ, then that would surely be much more well known. However, looking at this forum, obviously a lot of us have had different kinds of problems -- social isolation seemingly being a big one.

·
Registered
5,643 Posts
My trauma was in all forms ^^, but that part of my life is over and am quite happy now, i don't feel the pain of my past anymore. But I also grew up very quickly because i was never really treated as a kid and never really experienced the happiness of being a kid and by the time i was able to have that chance i was a teenager ^^'. I believe INFJ's are born as a rough outline of an INFJ and the rest is "Shaped" by our experiences ^^

·
Super Moderator
10,961 Posts
Yes, I have been traumatized in major ways. This all could be looked at as Nature vs Nurture. I believe innate qualities /functions are affected by experiences and can develop which function is used more strongly than others. Innate qualities/functions are still there whether used to full capacity or not.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Traumatized here, and screwed up in many ways through my first 18 years. Around age 28 I started to come into myself. I worked for a Behavioral Health company at the time, and my first MBTI placed me as an ENFP, though very close to the 50% mark on the E and the P at the time. Over time, and with growth, I've become more INFJ.

·
Banned
708 Posts
Traumatized? Yes, but I don't think it altered my personality. It likely did make certain behaviors more pronounced, but I'm more liable to believe that those behaviors were innate and dormant, and would have been triggered by other events, although to a lesser extent. It is interesting to ponder on, though, especially if a traumatic event occurred during one's adolescence.

·
Banned
1,933 Posts
I believe INFJ's are born as a rough outline of an INFJ and the rest is "Shaped" by our experiences ^^
I agree. Some people will make it sound as though your MBTI type is given from the very instant you take your first breath. Surely life events, not the least in your formative years, will have an effect on your finalized type. I think I might have tested as INFP when I was younger. All the same, I am convinced that the person I am today will likely be who I am to be for the rest of my life.

·
Super Moderator
10,961 Posts
Yes, I have been traumatized in major ways. This all could be looked at as Nature vs Nurture. I believe innate qualities /functions are affected by experiences and can develop which function is used more strongly than others. Innate qualities/functions are still there whether used to full capacity or not.
I strongly disagree that being an INFJ is the result of trauma/hurt.
I had the mind of an INFJ back when I was in elementary school, and during those years and the years before it, I never really experienced any kinds of pain.

I believe you're born with your personality and as your mind develops, so does that personality
I agree with you...you're born with your personality and as your mind develops.... This was very well said. I ran the middle ground, because how we choose to use our experiences is subjective but innate.

This post is actually for everyone not just Carbodarah.

Nuture includes the good (not lack of) and the bad (lack of). I believe that experience will play a part in the development of your personality. This doesn't mean that it changes your personality, but helps to develop the strength or lack of strength in each function of your personality.

In my post I used the word "can". With this said, I believe that a persons' innate qualities can over ride the lack of good nuture. Yes, I was traumatized in major ways, but my personality allows me to over ride those. We all experience good and bad. I've had major goodness in my life, as well.

Am I making any sense?

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
let's just say my life was turned upside down at the age of 12 because of some trauma, and I have dealt with some physical abuse, all of this completly changed the way I viewed the world, but I believe that I wouldn't be so happy and content now if I had not experianced those low points.
I totally relate to this.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Trauma yes, but I think we kind of slide into our personalities as we grow, based on our character as a child.

I don't think dealing with trauma makes people into INFJ.

Otherwise my siblings would all be INFJ's and they're not.

Plus, I think there's more trauma out there then there are INFJ's.

*hugs all the traumatized INFJ's on board*

·
Registered
17,697 Posts
Trauma is my middle name ... many of you here already know the many things i've been through .. in fact it was a recent trauma that brought me here.

But, trauma and personality development have an interchangable relationship rather than an exclusive one. Trauma shapes personality - but also, pre-existing personality traits of the individual determines the experience of the individual in and out of the trauma. It is my belief that holding a trauma constant - i.e. the death of a parent of 2 children. The trauma is the constant, but how the children cope and react to the trauma will be a direct result of the children's inherent personality traits. Would the trauma "change" the personality type altogether is impossible to determine - but I do believe that eventually the pre-existing conditions within the human mind - i.e. the coding system that they're born with will eventually reign supreme over whatever temporary changes are induced by the trauma itself. So no, personally, I don't think that it is the trauma that causes us to be INFJ's ... the fact that we experience traumas and post-traumatic situations - and the similarities we experience (as have been reported by the other INFJ's of similar experiences with traumas) seems to suggest to me that ultimately nature reigns over nurture in this case.

1 - 20 of 70 Posts