Personality Cafe banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do you think about nightmares? Are they just bad dreams or an indication of trauma? What if the person doesn't know or doesn't think they've been abused or harmed?

I ask this because I, periodically, have very upsetting dreams that affect the rest of my day. It usually involves a random older male figure being creepy. Or I have chase dreams. Or I (rarely) wake up in a panic but I can't remember why. Just last night I had a dream like this and it has caused a psychosomatic reaction in my body. I feel nervous and on edge. And although it was completely fictional, I wonder if there is a deep-rooted issue here.

I'm afraid of conjuring memories that aren't really there. I'm afraid of making something up that isn't true. But I have no idea how common this is.

If you could share your thoughts or experiences with this I would greatly appreciate it.

Reactions: Pressed Flowers

·
Premium Member
10,504 Posts
What did you read or watch before you went to sleep?
I find that, when I watch a horrifying TV show or movie or, if I read something shocking, I have really bad, frightening dreams.
You might want to start with that before you look to some past trauma as the cause for your nightmares.

Reactions: jamaix

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What did you read or watch before you went to sleep?
I find that, when I watch a horrifying TV show or movie or, if I read something shocking, I have really bad, frightening dreams.
You might want to start with that before you look to some past trauma as the cause for your nightmares.
Last night there was nothing in particular. I went out for beers, came back early, chatted with some friends about nothing in particular, and went to bed early. In general I like to watch psychological thrillers, but they never deal with sexual abuse. They're usually just fantastical.

But these dreams usually seem like completely normal until BAM, someone gets creepy with me. For example, last night I had a dream that one of my (very old) professors sent me a love letter and it freaked me out and I just pretended he didn't do anything. And all day today it has bugged me. And it sucks because I know that in reality he didn't do anything at all.

·
Banned
775 Posts
I would need to ponder over this a bit more, but I do have a good deal of experience with this.

I tend to try lucid dreaming, I have gotten to points where I am acting as god, or I have created my own universe. Very detailed and wonderful experiences, but rarely occur. On a particularly bad run, I somewhat stopped the "lucidity" throughout the dream and kind of let my mind wander through the visuals I have created. Traumatic things such as stress came up in my life, and general terrors of the kind Lovecraft could create appeared. I have had general nightmares in the similar fashion.

In my experience, it comes from general fatigue, stress and perception of what happens in life, mix partially with overactive emotions I feel and a kind of "chasing-the-rabbit" esque imagination. Very in depth, very abstract, very horrifying.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
@TheLhix I love lucid dreaming. I go through periods of my life where this is pretty easy and it is so much fun. When nightmares come up, I can analyze them in all sorts of ways, but in the end I have to just choose whatever makes me feel better because that's all I can really do to solve the situation.

I will try to actively lucid dream more. Thanks for the advice.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I dreamt that I touched my cheek sitting up out of bed and found only smooth skin. Upon waking i feared i had shaved my beard during sleep; upon feeling for it i found I hadn't.

I habitually touch my face and having facial hair gives me something to play with. But I expect that wasn't the real subject of fear, but rather the possibility of doing things in an unconscious state and having to wake up to the consequences.

Or I just really like having a beard. *shrugs*

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.