Personality Cafe banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you like to travel? Or do you like the idea of traveling more? Do you do some research on where you are going? Or do you just pack a bag and head out the door not even sure where you are going? Do you plan? Or do you just wake up one day and think to yourself, "I'm going to ____!"? Do you prefer traveling alone? Or would you prefer to have another person along? Do you make schedules? Or do you just see how the day unfolds?

·
Registered
87 Posts
I LOOVEEE to travel! I've never been out of the country, but I'd love to see Argentina, Thailand, Japan, Spain, Ireland and Romania specifically! In that order! I've done some traveling within the U.S. and loved the experience of being on my own and exploring new places. I don't like being a tourist, I am a traveller. Tourists walk around on tours with cameras. I want to go hang out with the locals and discover the things that make a city or place great. I like traveling by myself, but if I am traveling with someone I want it to be someone I can trust. My best friend and I have talked about going through Europe before. We've calculated costs, figured out the cheapest travel and places to visit even. He would be the perfect travel partner because He would keep me out of trouble and I would keep him out of trouble, while still managing to have stimulating conversation and a good tag-team going.

Reactions: Averic

·
Registered
81 Posts
i would look at possibilities at what i can do and make sure i have at least some idea of what to expect. I might also look up the best places to eat where im going just so that i can enjoy the experience more.

·
Registered
571 Posts
I haven't done any traveling outside of the US, but I'm hoping to change that when I'm much older. Culture exploring sounds like such a thrill. :laughing:

I want see and hear it all. Unfortunately, that costs quite a bit of money; pretty sure I won't have enough until retirement. Then I can start planning my trips to Europe, Asia, etc.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I haven't done any traveling outside of the US, but I'm hoping to change that when I'm much older. Culture exploring sounds like such a thrill. :laughing:

I want see and hear it all. Unfortunately, that costs quite a bit of money; pretty sure I won't have enough until retirement. Then I can start planning my trips to Europe, Asia, etc.
I hear ya. Traveling can be pretty costly. I'm saving up for a trip to DC during Christmas at the moment. A week-long+ touring of DC along with free museums sounds very excellent to me. I've only been to Mexico outside of the US. It's cool but I would love to visit Japan and Australia. I'm fascinated by other cultures and how people live.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I've travelled quite a bit, and definately prefer to travel alone. In one way travelling alone makes it easier to get in contact with the locals, in another way it makes it easier to just "feel the atmosphere" and avoid the "tourist label".

I actually feel much safer travelling alone, but that might be because I'm male and I know to watch my back. Have been to some pretty rough areas, and sometimes you need a certain ability to give people the impression that if anyone attacks you, you will show no mercy - don't know if it is possible to learn this, it seems like "magic" :wink: Maybe it is like this: Coming alone makes people think that you are pretty tough because you dare to walk in that area alone. Coming together in a pack of two or more equals "gang/brotherhood/crew" which easily translates to "war declaration"... But there are always interesting people to meet; illegal immigrants carrying illegal handguns, transsexual prostitutes, corrupt police, and a few other categories neither of which I'd tell my mother.

The atmosphere in Istanbul can be a bit pushy (i.e. not INFJ friendly), but the food is plain fantastic, and the Asian part of the city is perfect for quiet walks.

One city I heartily recommend is Riga in Latvia: People are not pushy, and if you want to be left alone nobody will bother you. However, if approached, they are nice and friendly.

If you're not used to travelling and want to feel safe, the Scandinavian countries are always a safe bet :tongue:

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Asian part of Istanbul^? That's interesting... :shocked: Never heard of it before

I like traveling and I think I need it every now and then or I go crazy.
Anything for a change of pace...

So far I tend to not choose country
I just go by activity or event
like exhibitions, trade shows, people to meet, an anniversary etc...
And after I will research what other things I will do
I usually schedule a few things I like and then leave the rest of the days free to roam around or for room in case someone invites me for something
And the same for my set time being in that city/country. I will do say 2 weeks but make sure if something comes up I can stay

The most important is where I will stay
As I'm an introvert I need to be able to properly rest :crazy:
I have tried hotel rooms with no kitchen.. Can't stand them so I always need to have a kitchen now
When I was with family we used to get inventive I guess, and we started to use the coffeemaker to boil water so we can have soup

So far when I travel they are not for relaxation
I usually exert so much energy till I have run out and that's when I go home
But one day I'd like to go to a spa for a week or so
I remember my time at the hospital (weird I know) was really nice..

Even with family I tend to split up with them and travel on my own
I went to many places while they were shopping --my mother loves shopping!
It doesn't matter too much if I am alone or not, it depends with whom

·
Registered
682 Posts
I love traveling! I love trips and vacations. Definitely one of my favorite things to do, although I'm not financially wealthy enough to pursue that activity as often as I'd like. I prefer to research and plan out my trips, though I can adjust pretty easily if my plans don't go through. I like to eat and "do stuff" when I'm out. Cruising is my favorite type of vacation, because I can eat as much as I want, I can eat whatever I want, I don't have to worry about lodging, and there is always something to do! I especially love gambling and excursions, such as kayaking and snorkeling. Resorts are very similar too, except I don't get to visit multiple destinations like on a cruise. I do NOT like to travel alone; I find that vacations are extremely fun with friends/SOs.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
i love traveling but i do it because i want to learn about the place and experience the different culture, area and history.

my favourite vacation was in grade 3. i went to Costa Rica for 2 weeks. i loved it. i played Chess with a local who told me about the history of the pieces(don't rememeber much about it and the accuracy of what he said about them) and it wass very interesting. i just realized how much different people and cultures even at a young age was a part of me. My family then tented at the base of a twin peak to a Volcano. i remember waiting to see the Volcano spits some stuff out and was rewarded in the middle of the night with red rocks leaping out a small amount. i was in the middle of a rain forest with howler monkeys watch an active volcano under a starry sky. the howler monkeys were a little annoying with their howling but i got used to them. it is one on my unforgettable experiences.

·
Registered
240 Posts
oh my gawd I feel like I HAVE to travel. I can't stand monotony, I want to experience every culture and would HATE to be stuck living in the same house for 20 years doing the same thing day in day out.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
oh my gawd I feel like I HAVE to travel. I can't stand monotony, I want to experience every culture and would HATE to be stuck living in the same house for 20 years doing the same thing day in day out.
i know how you feel. alot people want to visit a country in every continent but for me not the case. i want to see it all but know that isn't realistic so i am going to have to play favourites.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I stumble upon an article mention INFJ as travel librarian and I couldn't agree more. I myself enjoy travelling so much because for me travelling brings new perspective and travelling does open your eyes to a different meaning of life. After few trips of travelling with a group as an INFJ myself, my opinion would be find a travel companion who shares a lot of similarities with you which means if your an introvert, your travel companion is an introvert too and it saves you a lot of drama later and even better if you can do a solo travel

Even in groups, I like to carve out some me time just walk or stroll around the city and discover something which is very local and not really mention in any travel book. I would take a walk wherever it leads me to.

P/S:- To any INFJ who travels, are you guys okay travel in groups which compromise with extrovert people or just solo travel ? .
Lately, I just realise when I travel with a group of people which incl extroverted people, I always had the problem adjusting
to their habit especially when the room is being shared.

·
Registered
235 Posts
I love traveling and the idea of it a lot, but to be very honest a lot of times I get really anxious. I like everything about travelling, it feels liberating, I feel that on a trip I am a "better version of myself" (strange, right? I hope someone can relate :) ), I feel full of energy, I feel simply great! However I am constantly worried - did I pack enough? what if I need something? Starngest ideas come to my mind, plus I'm REALLY scared of flying and it's getting worse and worse :/

·
Registered
104 Posts
I love traveling and one of my biggest dreams in life is to travel and see the world. Even if it's just a day trip to a nearby town or to go to a festival nearby, just exploring something new in a new place wows me. That being said, I also love traveling to visit friends and family who live in different areas.

·
Registered
849 Posts
I swear to god I am the only person who does not care for/desire to travel. Im like a penguin, I like to stay landed. I am a contol freak, so being stuck/lost in a place I dont know where I dont speak the language would be my worst nightmare. That being said, I havent been outside Canada or the USA. (despite the fact everyone in my family was born in eastern Europe we have never gone anywhere).
And I am always stressed that I wont "experience" enough, or "experience it rightly". Like I was so anxious when I went to NYC that I wouldn't be able to do everything youre supposed to do. I would rather avoid that anxiety of knowing if I am getting my moneys worth.

And I dislike the notion of being "well traveld". If you're some white college student, and you travel everywhere, people sometimes regard you with this notion of being cultured, but we dont assign the same notion of being cultured to immigrants. And I feel kind of not good regarding another country as ~so much more spiritual~ or assigning some sort of quirkiness to it, when its literally someone elses home and they dont see it as such.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I love to travel. I don't like to travel alone but I love to take a big walk in a city that is new to me, with a map in my hand.

·
Registered
201 Posts
I swear to god I am the only person who does not care for/desire to travel. Im like a penguin, I like to stay landed. I am a contol freak, so being stuck/lost in a place I dont know where I dont speak the language would be my worst nightmare. That being said, I havent been outside Canada or the USA. (despite the fact everyone in my family was born in eastern Europe we have never gone anywhere).
And I am always stressed that I wont "experience" enough, or "experience it rightly". Like I was so anxious when I went to NYC that I wouldn't be able to do everything youre supposed to do. I would rather avoid that anxiety of knowing if I am getting my moneys worth.

And I dislike the notion of being "well traveld". If you're some white college student, and you travel everywhere, people sometimes regard you with this notion of being cultured, but we dont assign the same notion of being cultured to immigrants. And I feel kind of not good regarding another country as ~so much more spiritual~ or assigning some sort of quirkiness to it, when its literally someone elses home and they dont see it as such.
I do love to travel but I understand what you are saying about experience. I think this is why I haven't been outside the US other than Canada also. I've dreamed about it many times though. Like I'm afraid I won't do it right and it's costs so much so I feel I won't ever get a chance to go back. In the US I don't feel restricted like that because I view a lot of places as being able to revisit.

I also get what you are saying about those stigmas you feel with the "well-traveled" stereotype and the stereotypes assigned to specific countries. I see it as a hobby, like or dislike and that's about it. If you have the means and want, go for it. Not going to look down on someone who enjoys it or someone who doesn't. I just see it as another part of an individual.

Reactions: laura palmer
1 - 17 of 17 Posts