Personality Cafe banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone gone on vacation or an adventure totally on your own? I am thinking about taking a trip to the Caribbean by myself, since I get a couple of vacation days and my kids have to go out of state to visit their dad for a week.

The thing about this is...I really just want to go ALONE. I don't need a buddy, I don't want to meet men or go on a stupid "singles cruise", and I want to avoid the bar scene/meat market. Ideally I would take all of my kids with me, but that's really expensive and plus I just need a break, and some space. I know you guys will understand :wink:

If you've traveled alone before, did you find it relaxing or did you get bored after a day or so? I honestly think I would love to drink something strong, lay in the surf, and not talk to another human being for 2-3 days.

·
Registered
247 Posts
I far prefer traveling alone. I've done it a lot - sort of in relation to work, though (I'm a destination photographer). Went to Maui alone a couple years back, and it was awesome. 7 days with no one to please but my clients for one of the days I was there.

I've traveled to see friends before, and the most enjoyable part of those trips was truly my time in the airports and during the flights - as soon as I'm picked up at the airport, it's someone else's agenda. I enjoy my friends, of course, and we always do fun things... but if I could see those same cities on my own time, in my own car, without having to talk to anyone, it would be pretty damn awesome.

Every so often I'll just take off (when I don't have my kid) and drive somewhere by myself for a day or two, just to get away from all the... all this life.

Personally, I find it very relaxing - not the least bit boring. No agenda, no talking, no emoting, no sharing, no need to smile all the time. I think you should do it. Sounds like a fantastic getaway.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Addendum: I'd also rather see movies alone, watch TV alone, go shopping alone... I'm always happier if I'm by myself for any activity, really. The only time I was MORE comfortable doing those things was with the (ex) boyfriend who just dumped my ass. Which really sucks, because it's fucking impossible to find someone you can be ALONE with. If that makes sense.

So I may not be the best person to answer this, since I'd really rather do just about everything alone.

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
Not an ISTP but I've done almost all of my traveling/vacationing alone. I'm one of those people that does almost everything by myself in general and is just used to it and usually prefers it that way. It's very hard for me to find other people whose general presence I can tolerate enough to be around more than a short while at a time so it's just easier for me to travel that way. Sometimes I'll meet up with people I know along the way but the traveling itself is done solo. Plus when you're on a journey alone you can make alterations to your plans as you see fit and not have to worry about the protestations of others. If I've ever gotten bored on a trip it's generally not been for lack of company. And like I said, it's your vacation, so if you do get bored make a change in your itinerary to make it more interesting.

·
Banned
27 Posts
I backpacked across Europe alone. Well, sort of. I originally went with my buddies but parted ways with them half-way through due to some, ahem, annoying and unexpected visitors (girlfriends)... I think being alone was the best part of the trip. I recommend solo travel at least once in your life.

·
Registered
118 Posts
If you want to go alone, just do it!

I travelled to my families summer house (no phone, no internet) alone twice. I think some people thought it was weird, that I went alone, but probably none of them is ISTP.

Well, I've also had nice vacations with other people, but getting away from everybody to live in peace and quiet and be totally independent certainly has an upside to it.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Depends on how long I'm travelling. If it's a week or two, I don't mind travelling alone. Any longer, it would be nice to have company PROVIDED it's good company. If it's going to be someone who is going to annoy me then I'd rather travel alone. Anytime. I do most things alone anyway - eating, shopping, movies. A few times I invited company. And regretted it. It really 'cramps my style' (of doing things).

·
Registered
250 Posts
I prefer travelling alone though I've found that things can get kinda boring if you're in a country by yourself for more than a few weeks. Especially if you don't speak a word of the native language.Things go really downhill if you run out of money and end up sleeping on a park bench.

·
Registered
3,791 Posts
I rarely travel alone due to being married - it helps that she's about the most awesome person I could imagine traveling with.
Our trips are, however, never "package vacations". Everywhere we go, we backpack, try to rent some kind of transportation once we get to an interesting place, just get a feel for things. I can't stand being passive when traveling, which means I often "get to be" the tour guide if we travel in a group. (Yay. :dry:). I also hate being everybody's daddy, which means I prefer not traveling in groups.

·
MOTM Jan 2012
6,514 Posts
I would love to take a trip all on my own. I have flown down by myself to visit my aunt, and I really enjoyed being by myself. It's a whole different dynamic when you're forced to deal with other people.

And I always shop alone. Whenever I shop with my sister, what would normally take me a half hour becomes two hours. :dry:

·
Registered
743 Posts
Yes, I've travelled on my own. Loved it!

You'll love setting your own itinerary, rather than having someone else do it, as zynthaxx said, any sort of package deal sucks.

·
Banned
1,261 Posts
Yes, I've travelled solo many a time. There are times when I wish I had some company, especially on long drives. Still, going alone allows me the freedom of doing whatever I want, at my own pace.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
By far, traveling alone is so much better than with a bunch of friends or family. I did it a few times and as soon as i can afford it again, im going to head over to some random place in europe again. Unless you forget to pack some good reading material, it might get boring if your on the road for more than 2 weeks.

So yes, if you can snatch a week or more, do it.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I planned a week-long roadtrip alone a few years ago to a very desolate but beautiful region. I made it 2 days before I got bored out of my mind and decided to drive back home and relax for the rest of the week. I enjoy my "alone time" more than anything else but after a day or so of isolation I go absolutely crazy. Perhaps I've restored so much energy in that short period of time I need to use it!

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
I once traveled abroad to see a someone I met in teh internets, it didn't hit off, so I proceeded to Plan B, that is, a youth hostel. It was pretty nice vacation after that. In the hostel I met a lady who told me that she used to take a week off every year from family and travel somewhere alone. It sounded like a very clever idea to me.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Just came home from a trip last week. It felt great to be free. I don't talk to people anyway so I didn't miss any company.

·
Registered
456 Posts
I like traveling alone. I've done it and I'll do it again. If you're wondering if you'll get bored, I'd travel alone to meet a friend. I've done that as well. Got in town Monday but told them I was coming in town Wednesday. Just enough time to explore things alone then have them show you some local spots. Best of both worlds.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Since I'm married, most of my travelling alone has been for business trips. But I love it! Go!! Do what you want, when you want, with no set agenda, what more could you ask :cool:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts