Personality Cafe banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello there. I just stepped out from the secure INFP forum to ask you a little question. Hope it's okay. :)

How do you (INFJs) personally like adventures, travelling and going out on "idealistic missions" etc?

My (limited) intuition about INFJs would say that you love those things, but that you often are content with having the adventures "inside your mind". That is, you don't have to travel far away physically, because your vivid imagination does the trick for you.

I'd be delighted if you'd share your views on this (and please correct me if my intuition was wrong). :)

And what kind of adventures would you dream of doing? :)

·
Registered
3,487 Posts
I don't adventure so much as do 'planned travel' which I guess is a very 'J' thing!

I'm up to 42 countries so far - some visited through work (Armed Forces; Fire Department; Current role as investigator) and most through vacations or living there.

In June the total will go up to 47 as I'm on vacation in Europe....yippee!!

I'd still love to visit Antarctica, I've been very close to it in the Falklands...but we were a bit preoccupied! I've been to Alaske but only the Juneau area - I'd like to do the Wilderness, and I want to try and visit as many remote islands as I can - Kerguelen, Tristan da Cuhna, South Georgia, Easter Island, Pitcairn and Chatham islands all come to mind.

I still enjoy adventures 'of the mind' too!

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
I have also traveled a bit, though not quite near the 42 country mark. Mine has always been loosely planned; budget backpacker sort of stuff (and a few trips with the military). I am currently afforded the opportunity to embrace travel as a lifestyle. Though some nations will likely remain prohibitively expensive, I think that I can eventually see most of the world.

During my travels I have had some interesting adventures, including, but not limited to: whirlwind hitchhiking tour of much of Western Europe; spelunking in Yangshuo, China; hitchhiking from Lhasa, Tibet to Kathmandu, Nepal; shaking hands with the Dalai Lama; completing several treks in the Himalayas in Nepal (including one in remote western Nepal); spending an hour among the mountain gorillas in Uganda; whitewater rafting the White Nile in Uganda; exploring Yosemite National Park in California; living on a bohemian, clothing optional beach in Mexico; skydiving (tandem jump) in Louisiana, U.S.A; volunteer 'teaching' at a small elementary school Janakpur, Nepal (very inexperienced and lost, but it was fun); celebrating Ganesha' birthday, which happened to coincide with mine, in Udaipur, India; spending a couple of days on camel back in Jaisalmer, India; staying at the Chungking Mansions in Hong Kong, which, if you have never been, is quite an adventure (see Public Safety portion); getting lost among the markets of Fez, Morocco.

I am less certain about the 'idealistic missions' bit, certainly nothing religious (prosthelytizing and missionary work are major pet peeves of mine, can't stand even the notion), plus I am an atheist. I could perhaps see myself volunteering here and there however. I would definitely like to try WWOOFing at some point.

I have also always lived very much in my head, and had a very vivid imagination. Long before I was actually able to travel, I would go on many an extended journey.

·
Registered
2,449 Posts
I had to navigate the London underground for the first time ever last week to get to my girlfriends house (I'm from the north so its a big thing) and it was so much fun. Obviously I researched the hell out of it.

·
Registered
544 Posts
I love to travel, as exhausting as doing so may be. I can admit to a certain desire and sense of adventure, though by adventure, I don't mean being thrown into something spontaneously. Instead, imagine an adventure in the same light you might imagine going on an old world military campaign. The objective and general itinerary is planned, but what happens in between each major point is up for grabs (where each major point is simply: go to x location on this day, and sleep at y location). I tend to not plan the actual activities for the trip (unless they cost money and require reservations). Instead, I plan activities and learn to navigate by spending a LOT of time before the trip itself just researching the entire area. By the time I actually am there, I've "lived" in that area so much in my head, that getting around is a piece of cake.

And in spite of the exhaustion that accompanies travelling, when I return home, I return with a shifted outlook of the world. With the addition of this new raw data, my inner world gets bigger, though the real world has gotten smaller. My understanding of certain concepts and geographies will adapt and expand, and my appreciation for certain things will also expand.

Of course, when money is scarce, I'm always up for an imagined adventure.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
I had done 25 countries by the time I was 25... around the 30 range now as work bounced into the picture. I have done some volunteer stuff overseas, and many of those same countries were repeat visits, for instance I've been to France a few times, Germany three times, etc. I'm not content with having the ideas in my mind, it is the inferior Se probably which pulls me to go these places actually, when I maybe *should* be content not traveling. The inferior Se is always there...itching and clawing at me to enact on my ideas. It may not always be correct but it definitely compels me to do something about it.

Imagination is good for fantasy world's that don't exist, but I find it is a poor substitute for how a country actually is. My notions about certain places have been blown apart when I actually went there. I don't think "books" on the subject can describe being in SubSaharan Africa for instance, and they definitely do not do justice to places like Yosemite or something. It's hard to replicate the FEEL and Buzz of walking the streets of San Francisco. Capturing being IN a state of natural beauty is pretty impossible through words or photographs.

·
Registered
189 Posts
I personally love to travel. Unfortunately, I grew up with two parents who hated to travel so basically I never really went anywhere growing up unless we had to. Then, I had to deal with my parents complaining about it so it really sucked the fun out of it :)

I hope to do a lot of travelling someday. Right now, my budget is pretty tight so maybe in the future.

As of right now, I have been to (not including the state I was born in) 6 states. Two don't really count because I could walk to their state line from my house growing up and two were close to Washington D.C. (we stayed at hotel in Maryland and visited Arlington which is in Virginia :)

Places I would like to visit:

the New England States
Tennessee
Montana
Colorado
North Dakota
San Francisco, California (not really a big fan of the rest of the state. No offense to anywhere here from California :) )
West Virginia
A trip around Europe (I don't think there is any country in Europe I don't want to see!!)
Japan

1 - 9 of 9 Posts