Personality Cafe banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A recent thread giving sound advice to an ENTeenP made me wish that I had had someone to tell me all those things when I was in High School. Then I thought, I wonder if any...more mature (baby-boomerish) ENTPs have advice that they wish they had known in their 20s. I'm in my last year at college but pursuing other areas mostly unrelated to my college major. I'm 23. Any advice that you think ENTPs should know throughout their 20s (and even 30s if we have members with such insight)?

Also, somewhat unrelated but I thought of this as I was writing this post, I wonder if many of you fellow ENTPs are also futurists, technology-trackers, singularitarians, and/or actively pursuing fighting aging & living as long as possible?

·
Registered
61 Posts
I'm an Xer and not a boomer, (not sure there were Boomer ENTPs, most whiney bunch of feelies in a generation ever....sorry we did the punk thing) but at that age I'd say literally your most dangerous enemy is debt or anything else that traps you and limits your choices....avoid like the plague....experiences are your fuel, and you only get limited amount in college.....travel abroad......China would be great now....it's exploding with inovation and new, and they still find western people unusual and charming the more in the sticks you get. take a job at places you never want to settle down, but are just cool experiences......creation is fueld by your various experiences....youneed more then the very narrow minded one presented in college...I used to think the University system was The center of diversity.....now I realize the opposite is true...it is the center of political correctness and thought crime.... diversity isn't about how many different dressed and skin colors you can get in a room mirroring each others politically sanatized opinion, and all agreeing to toe the accepted view.....it's meeting people of various back grounds all over who all think THEY have the right of things....it's that DIFFERENCE of opinion that is true diversity....and that allows you to be more creative.

Mainly don't be afraid to leave your collegic single minded womb of intellectual agreed superiority......get as far from your comfort zone as possible..as they say, "that is where the magic happens".

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This confirms my plans to move to Ecuador for a year next year. Thailand after that I hope, I would love to visit China though too.

I am spending my last year at the University traveling the U.S., finishing my classes online because I've come to many of the realizations you mention above - but hoping to live in Ecuador for a year after that, already have some projects in the works to sustain me and I'm an expert at living in poverty. Thanks for taking the time to respond.

Also, we forgive you for punk.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Fair enough I will try and forgive your generation for not being able to innovate anything beyond punk or top the Plasmatics and instead giving us American idol narcissistic drama queens, and sucking on nothing but prepackaged studio sounds...... I think we're to blame, there nothing left to really rebel against now....it's the straight laced people who are the rebels. Equador is nice I have heard have a friend from there, who recently kind of got back to his roots...but be careful basically don't wear so much as a nice watch. Thailand sounds great.......China really should be on list if only because that place is going through biggest change on planet...and opportunity is everywhere....to put in perspective something like 5% of Chinese now are worth over a million dollars.....that's like as many millionaires as there are people in U.S. and yet there's areas still in the 1300's practically...it's a weird world of Bently's Ferrari, and still some mud building villages with squatter holes.. some of the richest most modern cities in the world, and some of the most archaic and poor......just it's one of those points of change like being in America in 1800's.

but thanks for dubstep......that's good stuff.

·
Registered
7,657 Posts
I'm an Xer and not a boomer, (not sure there were Boomer ENTPs, most whiney bunch of feelies in a generation ever....sorry we did the punk thing) but at that age I'd say literally your most dangerous enemy is debt or anything else that traps you and limits your choices....avoid like the plague....experiences are your fuel, and you only get limited amount in college.....travel abroad......China would be great now....it's exploding with inovation and new, and they still find western people unusual and charming the more in the sticks you get. take a job at places you never want to settle down, but are just cool experiences......creation is fueld by your various experiences....youneed more then the very narrow minded one presented in college...I used to think the University system was The center of diversity.....now I realize the opposite is true...it is the center of political correctness and thought crime.... diversity isn't about how many different dressed and skin colors you can get in a room mirroring each others politically sanatized opinion, and all agreeing to toe the accepted view.....it's meeting people of various back grounds all over who all think THEY have the right of things....it's that DIFFERENCE of opinion that is true diversity....and that allows you to be more creative.

Mainly don't be afraid to leave your collegic single minded womb of intellectual agreed superiority......get as far from your comfort zone as possible..as they say, "that is where the magic happens".
I'm an Xer too, and suspected ENTP. :ninja:

Don't apologize for punk! :laughing:

I bolded the parts with which I especially agree.

Get out there and experience the world. Don't get stuck in a world of "shoulds".

·
Registered
165 Posts
Whatever you think is possible? Go for it. It took me a while to find my power (so to speak). Try new things. Learn new things. Stretch yourself. Whatever you are "not sure" you can do... if it's something you want, try it. You will surprise yourself. Your are smarter and more competent than you realize. It took me a long time to figure that out. Trust your gut.

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
I'm a last-gasp boomer.

there are lots of "advice to the younger selves" threads in here. To summarise previous entries in same....whatever advice you are given you will go and make your own mistakes anyway, whatever you are told, that this is no bad thing sine we are all deepened by our mistakes, and to just remember that it is overwhelmingly likely that things will turn out OK whatever you do.

Enjoy it....

·
Registered
2,051 Posts
A recent thread giving sound advice to an ENTeenP made me wish that I had had someone to tell me all those things when I was in High School. Then I thought, I wonder if any...more mature (baby-boomerish) ENTPs have advice that they wish they had known in their 20s. I'm in my last year at college but pursuing other areas mostly unrelated to my college major. I'm 23. Any advice that you think ENTPs should know throughout their 20s (and even 30s if we have members with such insight)?

Also, somewhat unrelated but I thought of this as I was writing this post, I wonder if many of you fellow ENTPs are also futurists, technology-trackers, singularitarians, and/or actively pursuing fighting aging & living as long as possible?
20 Things I Should Have Known at 20 - StumbleUpon

1 - 8 of 8 Posts