Personality Cafe banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, guys! :) So, I've known for a while that I'm a 4w5, but I took a tritype test last night, and I believe myself to be a 479. Trouble is, I know nothing about what that means. All the tritype description pages I can find only say really vague things, like, "479 is a gentle soul." Like, wow, that's going to be really helpful on my quest to self-actualization.

So, are any of you guys 479? Maybe you know a 479. Tell me what you know! ;)

·
Registered
771 Posts
I wouldn't rely so much in tests. Instead, read books about the enneagram. Or read about each type in the internet and type yourself. It would be much more accurate this way. It's likely that the main type and it's wings would be correct in the test, but I'm sure there's a big enough chance that it would get your other types wrong.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I wouldn't rely so much in tests. Instead, read books about the enneagram. Or read about each type in the internet and type yourself. It would be much more accurate this way. It's likely that the main type and it's wings would be correct in the test, but I'm sure there's a big enough chance that it would get your other types wrong.
yeah, i know. but i'm lazy... are there any 'rules' for tritypes? can a 4 be all kinds of types as a tritype, or are there limitations? when do tritypes play a role? all the time, or in specific situations? can instinctual variants be trityped too?

·
Registered
771 Posts
yeah, i know. but i'm lazy... are there any 'rules' for tritypes? can a 4 be all kinds of types as a tritype, or are there limitations? when do tritypes play a role? all the time, or in specific situations? can instinctual variants be trityped too?
It goes with the triads.

You always have one preference when dealing with emotions. That is heart triad: 2, 3, 4. You're a 4.

Another one when dealing with thoughts. That is head triad: 5, 6, 7.

Another one when dealing with anger. That is the gut triad: 8, 9, 1.

Read short descriptions of each and decide which fits you best! Take a test first if you want and then read the description to see if it fits you.

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
All the tritype description pages I can find only say really vague things, like, "479 is a gentle soul." Like, wow, that's going to be really helpful on my quest to self-actualization.
lol

I know one 947 (INFJ), one 479 (INFP) and one 794 (ESFP). They are all daring, but reserved. They've dynamically fluid personalities.

Generally, if you wanna see if you can I.D. with this tri-type:

the 4 in you would make you concerned about being more attractive in every sense than someone typically could. You'd put your ideas of seeking how to become a good person (valuable, trusting, authentic, all that stuff you think people admire) to use. If you ever fall short, it'll impact you with envy and rejection of convention.

the 7 in you would be attentively watchful over people in your vicinity and general environment. You put yourself out there in order to deal with your fears of people plotting against you. It's out of wanting the support of people and also being aware of their threat to you. This is the dynamic part of this tri-type. Similarly to 8s, 7s desire not to be harmed, and have a sense of how to be treated fairly. They're creative, wary of mistreatment, and they mesh their inventive energy with engagement of others, making them typically outgoing people.

the 9 in you would be watchful over people as well, but hesitant to unleash its anger. The 9s get their pressing concern for proper treatment from others from the 8, and get their self-restraint (due to self-criticism) and critical nature of others being undisciplined from the 1. 9s seem unassuming, but they hold back a lot to seem that way. When they get angry enough...they explode...

I think that may help you out more than a mixture of characteristics and traits of some person you don't even know (aka 'gentle spirit'). Fare thee well!

·
Registered
790 Posts

·
MOTM Nov 2012
3,867 Posts

·
Registered
790 Posts
Beat me to it XD

That link wins in regards to the 479 tritype, a combo that appears somewhat popular around here. It's been voted that "the gentle spirit" is a shit title that many didn't relate to, so "the escapist" is in! That title in itself should give an impression of what the double withdrawn, double positive combo is about.
Agreed... "The Escapist" is a pretty damn good title xD

·
Registered
178 Posts
Hi Katy. I'm another 479, and I'll give you some thoughts that come to mind since that's what you requested. :) People really like me, and I don't know why. I am uninterested in daily things and act it, and hate being put on the spot by strangers or in an unfamiliar social situation. A lot take an immediate strong liking to me, and then they're fine with the weird, moody stuff the 4, 7, and SX-dom unleash upon them unsuspectingly. I too feel Gentle Spirit is a misnomer. I am gentle frequently when I am in great spirits, but I can easily exist as an Angry Spirit when times are bad. I am very quick on my feet and brain. People look to me for creative solutions and dynamic leadership. People think I have limitless energy, despite me feeling tired before them and making a quick exit before. People like me for how accepting and affirming I am. I have no issue with anyone, unless he/she is hurting too many people with his/her behavior, so think inviolable portions of the seven deadly sins and ten commandments stuff. People also like me for how truthful I am with them. I approach tender issues gently, because I consider emotions primarily, but I am not afraid of bad emotions directed at me for doing the right thing, which is addressing them clearly and kindly with a focus on improving upon the existing problem. I sure as hell will not leave something damaging to anyone I am close to to stay damaging if I can do something to make it less problematic. My flair and passion for the arts has been very effective for endearing myself to whoever I have my heart set on. I often feel, in all arenas of life, I am the only thing holding me back.

What are some things about yourself you are wondering share any consistency with the small population of 479 clusters on here? Do you have any more specific questions? It's a nice tri-type, if you ask me. Very versatile and modern.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
lol

I know one 947 (INFJ), one 479 (INFP) and one 794 (ESFP). They are all daring, but reserved. They've dynamically fluid personalities.

Generally, if you wanna see if you can I.D. with this tri-type:

the 4 in you would make you concerned about being more attractive in every sense than someone typically could. You'd put your ideas of seeking how to become a good person (valuable, trusting, authentic, all that stuff you think people admire) to use. If you ever fall short, it'll impact you with envy and rejection of convention.

the 7 in you would be attentively watchful over people in your vicinity and general environment. You put yourself out there in order to deal with your fears of people plotting against you. It's out of wanting the support of people and also being aware of their threat to you. This is the dynamic part of this tri-type. Similarly to 8s, 7s desire not to be harmed, and have a sense of how to be treated fairly. They're creative, wary of mistreatment, and they mesh their inventive energy with engagement of others, making them typically outgoing people.

the 9 in you would be watchful over people as well, but hesitant to unleash its anger. The 9s get their pressing concern for proper treatment from others from the 8, and get their self-restraint (due to self-criticism) and critical nature of others being undisciplined from the 1. 9s seem unassuming, but they hold back a lot to seem that way. When they get angry enough...they explode...

I think that may help you out more than a mixture of characteristics and traits of some person you don't even know (aka 'gentle spirit'). Fare thee well!
Very helpful, thank you! :)

·
Registered
222 Posts
I'm an ENFP 4-7-9 and I only know one other person who shares this type and tritype. Actually I don't think I know anyone else besides him who shares my tritype, but it would be interesting to meet more of them. Believe what you've read so far, "Gentle Spirit" is a tad misleading though not completely inaccurate. I think it's only one side of our personality and the problem really is that there's too much focus on it in the title and description. I'm often described by others as gentle and sweet which always surprises me because I don't often feel that way. I feel more inwardly grungy but I think that part gets pushed back and we push forward a more positive energy that people see.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I'm an ENFP 4-7-9 and I only know one other person who shares this type and tritype. Actually I don't think I know anyone else besides him who shares my tritype, but it would be interesting to meet more of them. Believe what you've read so far, "Gentle Spirit" is a tad misleading though not completely inaccurate. I think it's only one side of our personality and the problem really is that there's too much focus on it in the title and description. I'm often described by others as gentle and sweet which always surprises me because I don't often feel that way. I feel more inwardly grungy but I think that part gets pushed back and we push forward a more positive energy that people see.
Oh my gosh, I like you already. :) INFP 4w5 479 right here. I thought I was an ENFP when I was younger, but it's becoming apparent to me that I'm definitely Fi-dom. Still, though, I think introversion is my lowest preference, so I consider myself almost ENFP, if that makes sense.

Anyway, I definitely get what you're saying about other people seeing us as gentle and sweet and all. I guess most people don't get to see me when my Fi manifests outwardly. That's when I get fierce. It switches on unexpectedly, like when a value is challenged, when I get inspired or when I'm talking about something that makes me really passionate. I feel like I'm catching fire almost. My cheeks get red, my eyes go wide and I get all warm and tingly, even if I'm upset. It doesn't happen often, but when it does, people get surprised and tend to remember it.

Yeah, most people say I'm sweet, calm, gentle, sometimes even shy. That surprises me because I know how flammable I am. I guess that when I'm upset, it looks---and probably feels---more like melancholy than angst, a product of Fi.

Thank you! What you describe is resonating with me. Now that I'm thinking about it, the whole "Gentle Spirit" is starting to make some sense, at least from an outsider perspective. My knowledge of MBTI is pretty damn strong, but Enneagrams still puzzle me a bit. It's nice to find someone with the same tritype. Makes everything a lot clearer.

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
My perspective on myself (all with an INFJ so/sx flavoring):

4w5 side is consumed by emotions and asking questions about why i work the way i do, and the w5 provides the thirst for understanding and almost directly opposes my 4 emotions at points. I am always trying to temper the effects of my emotions so as to be more skilled at life in general :/.

7w6 side is thrill seeking, positive, energetic, playful, worried, escapist, avoidant, loyal, brave, self conscious while entirely believing that i can do anything :tongue:.

9w8 side is peace seeking within and without, serene, calm, hates conflict, hates people being upset with me, hates letting ppl down, hates being disrupted by others. w8 gives me a little oomph, I think. I have a slightly protective edge. I flip out when I think people are controlling me knowingly or not (though this could be my 7 fearing being trapped). If action needs to be taken and nobody does, I rise up to that without thinking. i don't do vulnerable much. Oh, my 9 is also the dreamy side, I suppose. dreamy dreamy dreamy... i'm so tired. This will have to go unfinished.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Anyway, I definitely get what you're saying about other people seeing us as gentle and sweet and all. I guess most people don't get to see me when my Fi manifests outwardly. That's when I get fierce. It switches on unexpectedly, like when a value is challenged, when I get inspired or when I'm talking about something that makes me really passionate. I feel like I'm catching fire almost. My cheeks get red, my eyes go wide and I get all warm and tingly, even if I'm upset. It doesn't happen often, but when it does, people get surprised and tend to remember it.

Yeah, most people say I'm sweet, calm, gentle, sometimes even shy. That surprises me because I know how flammable I am. I guess that when I'm upset, it looks---and probably feels---more like melancholy than angst, a product of Fi.
For me I see the 9 playing a huge role in this. When I'm with others I've realized I have great difficulty knowing what I want think and feel. I'm compliant in petty issues because unless it crosses some deep inner value, I don't 'wake up'. I prefer to feel my surroundings and kind of glide with it. I'm very intuitive and empathic so I have a deep desire for others to be happy. This is almost selfish in a way because I FEEL what they feel. I sometimes wonder if I help to help myself. The problem with losing touch with myself when I'm with others also means that I can be really bad at knowing how to comfort someone who's upset, because I'm blending in with whatever they're already feeling without offering anything of my own. My 8 wing on my 9 gives me an edge, and I believe my 7 also has an 8 wing, which makes it so that I almost have 2 conflicting personalities. I'm adventurous and competitive, but quietly, unless I'm "in the heat of battle" or "defending the weak and innocent". I read somewhere that the 9w8 needs peace and power, and the 8w9 needs power and peace. I thought about that and realized that when I fight, I fight for peace and unity. When I'm angry everyone listens and remembers. I've been told I exude a kind of power. (and passion and intelligence from my 4w5). I think when this happens all parts of my personality are working together at once. The 4w5 7w8 9w8 makes a loving imaginative empathetic adventurous thoughtful and peaceful person, with an undercurrent of fierce power and passion that honors and protects. This part of me often is fed through physical activity, competitive sports, and music, because I'm too conscious of how I effect the world around me to unleash it with brute force when it is not needed. This is why others may see me as 'gentle' or 'sweet'. I connect my surroundings and an aware of how my 'touch' effects everyone.

·
Registered
74 Posts

·
Registered
2,945 Posts
This is also my tritype, although - if I'm being honest - I've been considering alternatives. I never related to the whole "healer" thing, because I can't heal shit (including myself). I've also never been particularly drawn to the idea of being an escapist. I think part of me WANTS to escape, but I hit myself with a hard dose of reality willingly, sometimes wallowing in mistakes or regrets, and I find a difficult time adopting that positive mindset. Funny, since 7 and 9 are both in the positive triad, and I'm a 4w3.

I navel-gaze like it's my job.
I'm a horrible procrastinator. If I don't want to do something, I won't do it. It's not stubbornness, but apathy. Sometimes I think I've adopted the negative traits of every type in my tritype.
My 7 fix makes me pretend that Idgaf about anything. It's sometimes a defense mechanism. Sometimes it's true. I'll devalue and disconnect from things or people, or at least convince myself that I have. An hour later I'm inconsolable.
I'm moody, bitchy, and I adopt a superior attitude to impress people.
I'll forgive everyone, because I'm so convinced anyone with half a brain will leave me in the dirt.

Overall, I feel too dark and heavy to be 479, but nothing else makes sense for me. I've given up on tritype descriptions altogether; they're too vague and all-encompassing.

·
Registered
74 Posts
For me I see the 9 playing a huge role in this. When I'm with others I've realized I have great difficulty knowing what I want think and feel. I'm compliant in petty issues because unless it crosses some deep inner value, I don't 'wake up'. I prefer to feel my surroundings and kind of glide with it. I'm very intuitive and empathic so I have a deep desire for others to be happy. This is almost selfish in a way because I FEEL what they feel. I sometimes wonder if I help to help myself. The problem with losing touch with myself when I'm with others also means that I can be really bad at knowing how to comfort someone who's upset, because I'm blending in with whatever they're already feeling without offering anything of my own. My 8 wing on my 9 gives me an edge, and I believe my 7 also has an 8 wing, which makes it so that I almost have 2 conflicting personalities. I'm adventurous and competitive, but quietly, unless I'm "in the heat of battle" or "defending the weak and innocent". I read somewhere that the 9w8 needs peace and power, and the 8w9 needs power and peace. I thought about that and realized that when I fight, I fight for peace and unity. When I'm angry everyone listens and remembers. I've been told I exude a kind of power. (and passion and intelligence from my 4w5). I think when this happens all parts of my personality are working together at once. The 4w5 7w8 9w8 makes a loving imaginative empathetic adventurous thoughtful and peaceful person, with an undercurrent of fierce power and passion that honors and protects. This part of me often is fed through physical activity, competitive sports, and music, because I'm too conscious of how I effect the world around me to unleash it with brute force when it is not needed. This is why others may see me as 'gentle' or 'sweet'. I connect my surroundings and an aware of how my 'touch' effects everyone.
I love your description and I relate to this, but I think I might be a core 7 rather than a 9 because some of my playfully aggressive behaviour occasionally and I don't think I'm selfless enough to be a 9. Sounds like you might be an empath who can use it like a super power.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts