Personality Cafe banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just make a short commentary on your tritype. I will start.

Tritype: 6w5-4w3-1w2

Having two frustration fixes, it makes me a very unusual type 6. It makes me more idealistic, more of a dreamer, more focused on my own vision for my life and for the world (and particularly being a social dominant). It makes me unsatisfied with the current reality and so, I try to change it or escape from it. This 6 is very dreamy, very head in the could, and he has strong thinking aspirins. Highly intellectual (particularly with a wing 5), this 6 is very prone for introspection and analyzing world and life problems. I think they are prone to be Ni dominant, cause they have a strong connection to their subconscious. Aside from that, despite all the negativity associated with this tritype (eg @Swordsman of Mana saying it was too depressive for work or function in society), this tritype can be just like the 458: an explorer of inner pain of human beings and the depths of psychological ways of thinking and understanding the world. And yes, unlike the 136 (which in my opinion, specially is the average joe tritype - not take this as typism, it's just my personal perceptions), the 146 wants to stand out, wants to have an original and an insightful position in the world. This 6s may be one of the most insightful about human nature, like Fiodor Dostoievski or Ami Lee.

Well I will stop it for now and address the negative aspects of it later.

ps: I am particularly interested in listening the descriptions of @Vajra (738) @Swordsman of Mana (512 [:laughing:]) @Paradigm (another 614) @Figure @Animal (478) @Kink (946) and that's all I can remember.

·
Registered
4,095 Posts
Hmm. I'm fairly certain my tritype is 974. It means that I'm extremely positive while also having a dark side that pokes its head out occasionally. Sometimes I get triggered by something and I have an outburst that surprises me completely. I also experience a lot of frustration between my 9 and my 7 sides because I desire stimulation but I also get over-stimulated easily. I get bored easily but I don't know what to do with it. I explore a lot and start a lot of things, but I lack the enthusiasm to get very far with them. I dream about doing a lot of things that I never actually do. I lack the inertia and routine-based lifestyle that most 9s have. I'm good at making changes when I need to. I'm insatiably curious. Change excites me like nothing else. Since I don't experience as much change as a typical 7 would, with their monkey minds, when change DOES come, it makes me VERY excited. I really do believe sometimes that my curiosity will kill me, because I lack healthy caution in a lot of ways. I just have to turn over every rock, and I turn up at my nose at any mention of danger. But I'm working on that....

·
Registered
2,826 Posts
unlike the 136 (which in my opinion, specially is the average joe tritype - not take this as typism, it's just my personal perceptions), the 146 wants to stand out, wants to have an original and an insightful position in the world
Why?
I think 136 and 146 are very alike. I believe in a fluid enneagram where each point has a lot in common with their neighbors. They probably have more in common than 146 and 458. Just by definition.

·
Registered
919 Posts
Tritype: 873

So you have a goal?

And you'll work hard and play hard?

And sobriety is lame because drugs make work more efficient and play more awesome?

"Remember to get some rest! :happy:" they say!

Bah! Rest is for the dead! If I stop doing things, then the shadow of depression I'm actively fighting off/running away from will swallow me whole and then I'll die. See the part where my body is no longer moving (with or without its free will)? That's what death is like.

*decides slowing down is better than stopping*

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
(self-identified) Tritype 146, subtype SX-SO

The one makes me very angry with myself, sometimes :/

even when I am expressing frustration with myself/with the universe, others feel it on their heads, too.

The four makes me want to be recognised as a world to myself, taken on my terms, not relative to others' preconceptions of what is possible. I want others to listen, not to solve me. Feels like others cannot hear me for all the whitenoise of society and culture around us, like they cannot conceive what kind of a thing I am, if I would not be exactly as I come across to them. Makes me very frustrated with not feeling like I can be taken independently of all people's relative impressions of how I've come across to them.

The six, I think, makes me eager to comply with others' expectations of me, and to fit in with their needs.

I'm not exactly sure how the Enneagram operates, with all its points and characters, so I'm just talking from my understanding of it and of myself.

The four and six seem to be conflicted, somewhat. And I really just do not understand how the one creates some kind of pressurising situation which others feel they need to throw off of themselves, somehow (or this is how it conveys itself to me, I could be wrong).

Sometimes it feels like I am trying to cover others, and protect them, like a coat, and it feels like being thrown off their back and just lying on the ground wondering what happened to me, and why that could happen when I was just trying to come near to them, or something like that.

I'm not trying to claim that I know myself completely. I don't. But I wish my self-experience made sense to more people :/

I wish there were more oddballs like me, visible to me, that could help me feel accepted and comforted! cos I don't mean to reject others when they try and comfort me, but I just want them to listen and not sort me out, just to listen and accept my experience is different from theirs and I'm still working through it :/

·
Registered
3,186 Posts
9w1-7w6-3w2Also known as, "I'm going to tell a bunch of offensive jokes and run as soon as somebody gets offended, but not too quickly or they'll think I'm weak."Tends to be dead inside; eats a lot. Most likely to jump off a building and smile the whole way down. :happy: #just379things

·
Banned
4,227 Posts
Mandraque, with all due respect to your intent, and gratefulness for being mentioned, where I stand on tritype has not changed since the last time we discussed it. I do not know what my tritype is, and for the $200/hr I would spend chatting with someone in a coaching session to learn what my tritype is, I could buy 10 books that tell me more about my core type through the lenses of different authors, when core type is the primary driving factor anyway. What I see of tritype is a bunch of flaky external characteristics (which don't say anything about your type anyway), and "blind spots," which also don't appear to tell you anything you shouldn't already know about yourself. Not saying tritype isn't valid, just that I still don't, and probably won't ever really care about it much XD

I can talk about lines of connection if that helps - the way I experience 4 and 7?

·
Registered
3,516 Posts
Mandraque, with all due respect to your intent, and gratefulness for being mentioned, where I stand on tritype has not changed since the last time we discussed it. I do not know what my tritype is, and for the $200/hr I would spend chatting with someone in a coaching session to learn what my tritype is, I could buy 10 books that tell me more about my core type through the lenses of different authors, when core type is the primary driving factor anyway. What I see of tritype is a bunch of flaky external characteristics (which don't say anything about your type anyway), and "blind spots," which also don't appear to tell you anything you shouldn't already know about yourself. Not saying tritype isn't valid, just that I still don't, and probably won't ever really care about it much XD

I can talk about lines of connection if that helps - the way I experience 4 and 7?
not to speak for him, but i think that for you, doing so would amount to the same thing that he's going for in this thread--only from a perspective of a different origin.

plus it would be interesting.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Yeah, I'm not so sure about the usefulness of tritype myself... but just for the sake of participation, I'll say I got 513 on my test, which I'm pretty sure means I'm brilliant, hypercompetent and practically perfect. Or possibly cold, anal and completely unable to relax.

Hahahahaha.

·
Banned
374 Posts
Aside from that, despite all the negativity associated with this tritype (eg @Swordsman of Mana saying it was too depressive for work or function in society), this tritype can be just like the 458: an explorer of inner pain of human beings and the depths of psychological ways of thinking and understanding the world. And yes, unlike the 136 (which in my opinion, specially is the average joe tritype - not take this as typism, it's just my personal perceptions), the 146 wants to stand out, wants to have an original and an insightful position in the world. This 6s may be one of the most insightful about human nature, like Fiodor Dostoievski or Ami Lee.
I have to agree with @0+n*1 on not really understanding where you're coming from when you liken 146 more to 458 than 136. I can see how there might be similarities in how they seek to experience life, but given that they have two fundamentally different types that separate them (6 vs 5 and 1 vs 8), I feel like what similarities they share may be more superficial, or at least coming from different sources. And beyond that, I think something like that really varies by person...JCF will make a difference, as will instincts, interests, personal background.

True, I relate quite a bit to my SO, who is INFP 648 sp/sx (or sx/sp) compared to my ENFP 621 so/sx. But despite similar surface characteristics, I wouldn't say we process and react similarly in terms of enneagram.

Conversely, I might share more general approaches with you, if you are indeed 6 and 1w2-fixed; thus making us more similar in those terms. But at the same time I don't relate to you much, like at all, just overall... I detect a pretty big Fi/Te vs Fe/Ti difference, but it seems to go beyond that.

Sorry, don't wanna be that person, but I just don't really get it. Does that one fix really change your entire perspective on a person? If so, I'm actually really curious, then, how you would compare the archetypes 126, 136, and 146... because on first glance, the distinctions seem to be fairly shallow. (This isn't rhetorical btw. If you can explain, I'd like to hear.) What 3 or 3-fixer wouldn't want to "stand out" as you said, if by stand out you mean make a mark on something or someone? 4s may be known for "standing out," but the desire for such a thing is quite human, I think. I'm 2w3-fixed and I care about finding truth, understanding myself and the human condition, and having that original/insightful position you mentioned. I want to take what I've seen and observed and put it into words...write something great.

As I've already said, imo general traits like that really don't necessarily pertain to enneagram. It's been hit or miss for me. There are some, who I feel are relatively similar to me in enneagram as well as overall relatable, like @Paradigm. Then there are others, who are like aliens to me in enneagram like @Animal and @bellicose, but who are relatable in their passion for expression.

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Why?
I think 136 and 146 are very alike. I believe in a fluid enneagram where each point has a lot in common with their neighbors. They probably have more in common than 146 and 458. Just by definition.
I have to agree with @0+n*1 on not really understanding where you're coming from when you liken 146 more to 458 than 136. I can see how there might be similarities in how they seek to experience life, but given that they have two fundamentally different types that separate them (6 vs 5 and 1 vs 8), I feel like what similarities they share may be more superficial, or at least coming from different sources. And beyond that, I think something like that really varies by person...JCF will make a difference, as will instincts, interests, personal background.

True, I relate quite a bit to my SO, who is INFP 648 sp/sx (or sx/sp) compared to my ENFP 621 so/sx. But despite similar surface characteristics, I wouldn't say we process and react similarly in terms of enneagram.

Conversely, I might share more general approaches with you, if you are indeed 6 and 1w2-fixed; thus making us more similar in those terms. But at the same time I don't relate to you much, like at all, just overall... I detect a pretty big Fi/Te vs Fe/Ti difference, but it seems to go beyond that.

Sorry, don't wanna be that person, but I just don't really get it. Does that one fix really change your entire perspective on a person? If so, I'm actually really curious, then, how you would compare the archetypes 126, 136, and 146... because on first glance, the distinctions seem to be fairly shallow. (This isn't rhetorical btw. If you can explain, I'd like to hear.) What 3 or 3-fixer wouldn't want to "stand out" as you said, if by stand out you mean make a mark on something or someone? 4s may be known for "standing out," but the desire for such a thing is quite human, I think. I'm 2w3-fixed and I care about finding truth, understanding myself and the human condition, and having that original/insightful position you mentioned. I want to take what I've seen and observed and put it into words...write something great.

As I've already said, imo general traits like that really don't necessarily pertain to enneagram. It's been hit or miss for me. There are some, who I feel are relatively similar to me in enneagram as well as overall relatable, like @Paradigm. Then there are others, who are like aliens to me in enneagram like @Animal and @bellicose, but who are relatable in their passion for expression.
About the 136 tritype being the average joe is related to my perceptions. :th_wink:

Now the 458 tritype has fame of being known as explorer of the darkest traits of humans and being all about darkness, which is appealing for newbies (and i have been down there). WHy? Because 458 tritype as a lot of attention and is overrated! The 146 do the same thing and it gets no credit for that. I will quote a post from @Vajra on 146:

- 164: i fuckin love this tritype, esp when leading with 1 or 6. they are very introspective, aim for self-improvement and are really damn good at not flinching when they come into contact with the darker aspects of others' personalities and history. the ones i know are very willing to explore the depths and labyrinths of the mind. i was incredibly close to one..who had once said to me that be it mangled bodies or his own difficult emotions, he doesn't turn away from it in disgust or aversion. i don't know anyone who is as capable of authentically viewing pain and despair without flinching, denial or escapism. he's a 146.
it's a very hard tritype to live with i'd think with all the gnawing dissatisfaction of 1 and 4 with the security seeking influence of 6 as well as the existential anxiety of this fix/core. but, yeah, i love this tritype.
nuff said

Reactions: 0+n*1

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
478 tritype.

Something I've noticed in myself (and all other people I think are of this tritype)...there always seems to be some sort of sense of Grander Destiny. On some sort of mission in life...even if we don't always know what it is. Here to do something.

In my case, vision and inspiration have tended to dictate the course of my life, rather than any rational course of action or careful consideration. In following this, though, I've managed to realize the fantastic, things that others said couldn't be done, that they were afraid to dream. I've never let the impossible daunt me. MUST manifest the vision.

So my life has been an adventurous one, and God, I hope middle age won't put an end to it. I have things to build and contributions to make, and I will sing it to the world. I have no idea what that is exactly, but...not bad for one socially-awkward, near-hikikomori to undertake.

The Fauvres mention that this tritype can never fit into any archetype, and that's true of me. I'm always "the exception". NO ONE has problems like me--I mean most people don't have to send money to, say, Burkina-Faso to preserve property there and wind up on the No-Fly list. Well, I do. Most people don't die of rare illnesses while living in post-apocalyptic scenarios, but I almost did. Most people don't attempt to organize a mercenary army by age 30...except me. And yet, I'm incapable of making friends and lovers and live a life of tormented loneliness, surrendered only to my dreamworld. I define myself by this stuff, and I am usually proud of it all, as the less-than humble diction here may imply. You should smack me.

The first time I read about the tritype, it said the blindspot was that 478 comes across as "arrogant and resistant" or something. And I was like, Hey no, not me, can't be MY tritype. I'm quiet and serious and mind my own business.

Then, I rejoined the "real" world (meaning the phony bubble we call civilization), which I've put off entering for like...the last 15 years. And everyone, well, they think I'm an arrogant, resistant douchebag who can't follow the "right" way to do things. And I have no clue what I'm even doing wrong! I just know that everything I do in trying to conform to regulations still somehow isn't good enough...AND I feel like I've sold out, sitting there trapped and stifled, resenting it all.

Wow, the blindspot is really true.

·
Registered
2,826 Posts
About the 136 tritype being the average joe is related to my perceptions. :th_wink:

Now the 458 tritype has fame of being known as explorer of the darkest traits of humans and being all about darkness, which is appealing for newbies (and i have been down there). WHy? Because 458 tritype as a lot of attention and is overrated! The 146 do the same thing and it gets no credit for that. I will quote a post from @Vajra on 146:

introspective, aim for self-improvement and are really damn good at not flinching when they come into contact with the darker aspects of others' personalities and history. the ones i know are very willing to explore the depths and labyrinths of the mind. i was incredibly close to one..who had once said to me that be it mangled bodies or his own difficult emotions, he doesn't turn away from it in disgust or aversion. i don't know anyone who is as capable of authentically viewing pain and despair without flinching, denial or escapism. he's a 146. it's a very hard tritype to live with i'd think with all the gnawing dissatisfaction of 1 and 4 with the security seeking influence of 6 as well as the existential anxiety of this fix/core. but, yeah, i love this tritype
The only difference is in the image fix (4 vs 3). I notice a trend in the enneagram community and it makes me facepalm or cringe at times. Although I don't know the community beyond what I see here, but I notice that whenever someone values being honest with oneself, is introspective and wants to understand oneself, and is intuitive or seemingly complex, unwrapping the layers and trying to get to the core of things no mather how nasty, it is automatically assumed that person is 4-fixed. I consider Vajra a person that shows these qualities and she is not 4-fixed, she is 3-fixed. I don't know her though and maybe she thinks she wasn't as self-aware as she is now or that she is not as self-aware as she wants to be, that it is not enough, or that I'm giving her too much credit. But I think this has more to do with being mature. I can connect with what she said about 146 (and she typed as one a long time ago), but I still think 9 and 3 are strong in me (but it is better if I abstain from making conclussions, since I don't want to be hypocritical or talk about shit I don't have a clue about). When someone says things like I am 4 or 4-fixed because I want to understand myself like no other type can desire something so necessary to exist as human without feeling like you want to die, I just walk away. I know it is your perception and maybe it is out of the norm for a 136 to not be so "average joe", but I think it is worth considering that maturity plays a role in that.

·
Lotus Jester
8,877 Posts
I'm a 592; which makes me both a double rejection type, a double positive type and a double ego type.

So .. . IOW, both my 5 and 2 seek to maintain power and the upper hand in any friendship/relationship I'm in. I have a tendency - somewhat unusual for a 5, to sometimes wear rose coloured glasses (9 and 2) and I am fundamentally a very withdrawn type person who lives in my head (5 and 9).

Reactions: Lord Bullingdon

·
Registered
843 Posts
Being a triple withdrawn is an interesting experience. I don't know about other triple withdrawns, but for me, there's an uneasy relationship between me and the world around me. I find the world fascinating, exciting, overwhelming, and alienating. I'm overly sensitive (though I don't show it) and inward-looking. While my detachment can foster great insights, it also is a hinderance. I miss out on a lot of stuff that those who are more immersed in the world experience. I feel fundamentally separate from the world, but I don't really mind it (this could also be due being so-last). This tritype is a cauldron of contradictions: both heavy and wispy, dark and light, confronting and phobic, and passionate and detached. I find those of this tritype to be extremely cerebral, yet harbor immense sensuality (which in part is due to having a great imagination).

·
Banned
4,227 Posts
not to speak for him, but i think that for you, doing so would amount to the same thing that he's going for in this thread--only from a perspective of a different origin.

Okay, here goes:

4:

Typically, I have a pretty strong grasp on the emotions I experience (positive or negative) that I keep by blocking things out and continuing on with whatever I'm doing in a neutral emotional tempo. There are times, though, when I'm pushing the bill too far, screw something up, or my efforts don't appear to amount to anything. Although I try not to show it, I can get sulky over this, trying to mask the inner feelings with sarcasm outward. Typically, I focus on making my surroundings the way I want that would be better; when I disintegrate, I turn that inside, and become intolerant of myself, and stop caring so much about my surroundings (which reinforces to me that my efforts aren't amounting to anything). I tend to alternate between seeing myself as having had unfair treatment early on leading to my current state of failure, then completely railing myself for "letting myself go." This is when the inner critic informs me I've begun acting like a spineless little child, and tries to kick myself back into gear to try and break the cycle. Usually this doesn't take long, and I can make myself stop being "too introspective."

7:

When I am in the average states of type 1, my usual approach to an experience begins with what I think should be different than what is. When I go to 7, I don't automatically push back against things, and assuming what's in front of me is a given, what could be next if things played out in one of (many) ways. As exclusive as my 1 mentality is, my 7 one is inclusive. I tend to know I've reached the apex of whatever, and tend to feel energetic, really open to other people, and even a little happy arrogance mixed in, in that I'm enjoying all this awesomeness and you should too! I also at some point fear that it won't last, or there will be some kind of consequence (which usually makes the positive parts of the feeling go away). There's a moving sense that this is truly the moment I've been waiting to enjoy, and that it isn't just good or pretty good, it's the aggrandized BEST (of whatever).

I often try (unsuccessfully) to replicate the feeling of 7-ness, repeating the same positive experiences over and over or trying to improve them, becoming aggravated when that doesn't work.

·
Registered
919 Posts
As exclusive as my 1 mentality is, my 7 one is inclusive. I tend to know I've reached the apex of whatever, and tend to feel energetic, really open to other people, and even a little happy arrogance mixed in, in that I'm enjoying all this awesomeness and you should too! I also at some point fear that it won't last,
The seven fear!
or there will be some kind of consequence (which usually makes the positive parts of the feeling go away).
What if the consequence itself is positive? Or does the consequence always has to be negative or painful?
I often try (unsuccessfully) to replicate the feeling of 7-ness, repeating the same positive experiences over and over or trying to improve them, becoming aggravated when that doesn't work.
Ah, there's the problem. That excitment and mental stimulation of "ooh, new things!" is a feeling sacred to sevens. The Spiritual Enneagram: Type Seven - Sacred Novelty

·
Registered
919 Posts

Hmm, starting with this post is my experience with the 5-8-2 triangle, similar in direction to @Figure's response.

Here's the TL;DR summary.

For where a person is supposed to move after reaching point seven, you have the choice of either point five or point four. I would say it is possible to go from seven to four, because according to Almaas, Holy Work is a variation of Holy Law (type three's holy idea) (he mentioned this in type three's chapter). Personally, I would even go further and say that Holy Plan is a subset of Holy Law as well, leaving Holy Wisdom as type seven's most distinct Holy Idea.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Now the 458 tritype has fame of being known as explorer of the darkest traits of humans and being all about darkness, which is appealing for newbies (and i have been down there). WHy? Because 458 tritype as a lot of attention and is overrated! The 146 do the same thing and it gets no credit for that.
The similarity is that both tritypes research (145) darkness (468).

1 - 19 of 19 Posts