Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 136 Posts

·
Banned
14,865 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Enneagram Instinctual Variants

In addition to the Enneagram type, people are also considered to be one of three instinctual variants (also called subtypes). The self-preservation instinct (dealing with oneself), the sexual (dealing with another person) and the social instinct (dealing with a group) can be most pronounced.

We strongly identify with one primary drive and with some secondary traits in another drive. On the occasion when two of the instinctual drives are equally dominant, it is noteworthy that the third drive is usually omitted. This perhaps still demonstrates the imbalanced use of the three very essential instinctual drives. The teaching of Instinctual Subtypes suggests that these fundamental instinctual drives need to be equally cared for and in balance in order to harness the energy needed to move toward transformation. The concept is that the energy expended in dealing with the instinctual drives' imbalance diminishes one's access to the energy necessary to move against fixation and toward transformation.

Self Preservation (SP) Instinct
People who have this as their dominant instinct are preoccupied with the safety, comfort, health, energy, and well-being of the physical body. In a word, they are concerned with having enough resources to meet life's demands. Identification with the body is a fundamental focus for all humans, and we need our body to function well in order to be alive and active in the world. Most people in contemporary cultures are not faced life or death "survival" in the strictest sense; thus, Self-Preservation types tend to be concerned with food, money, housing, medical matters, and physical comfort. Moreover, those primarily focused on self-preservation, by extension, are usually interested in maintaining these resources for others as well. Their focus of attention naturally goes towards things related to these areas such as clothes, temperature, shopping, decorating, and the like, particularly if they are not satisfied in these areas or have a feeling of deficiency due to their childhoods. Self-Pres types tend to be more grounded, practical, serious, and introverted than the other two instinctual types. They might have active social lives and a satisfying intimate relationship, but if they feel that their self-preservation needs are not being met, still tend not to be happy or at ease. In their primary relationships, these people are "nesters"—they seek domestic tranquility and security with a stable, reliable partner.

Sexual (aka "Attraction") (SX) Instinct
Many people originally identify themselves as this type because they have learned that the Sexual types are interested in "one-on-one relationships." But all three instinctual types are interested in one-on-one relationships for different reasons, so this does not distinguish them. The key element in Sexual types is an intense drive for intimacy and a constant awareness of the "chemistry" between themselves and others. Sexual types are immediately aware of the attraction, or lack thereof, between themselves and other people. Further, while the basis of this instinct is related to sexuality, it is not necessarily about people engaging in the sexual act. There are many people that we are excited to be around for reasons of personal chemistry that we have no intention of "getting involved with." Nonetheless, we might be aware that we feel stimulated in certain people's company and less so in others. The sexual type is constantly moving toward that sense of intense stimulation and intimacy in their relationships and in their activities. They are the most "energized" of the three instinctual types, and tend to be more aggressive, competitive, charged, and emotionally intense than the Self-Pres or Social types. Sexual types need to have deep intimacy in their primary relationships or else they remain unsatisfied. They enjoy being intensely involved—even merged—with others, and can become disenchanted with partners who are unable to meet their need for intense energetic union. Losing yourself in a "fusion" of being is the ideal here, and Sexual types are always looking for this state with others and with stimulating objects in their world.

Social (aka "Adaptive") (SO) Instinct
Just as many people tend to misidentify themselves as Sexual types because they want one-on-one relationships, many people fail to recognize themselves as Social types because they get the (false) idea that this means always being involved in groups, meetings, and parties. If Self-Preservation types are interested in adjusting the environment to make themselves more secure and comfortable, Social types adapt themselves to serve the needs of the social situation they find themselves in. Thus, Social types are highly aware of other people, whether they are in intimate situations or in groups. They are also aware of how their actions and attitudes are affecting those around them. Moreover, Sexual types seek intimacy, Social types seek personal connection: they want to stay in long-term contact with people and to be involved in their world. Social types are the most concerned with doing things that will have some impact on their community, or even broader domains. They tend to be warmer, more open, engaging, and socially responsible than the other two types. In their primary relationships, they seek partners with whom they can share social activities, wanting their intimates to get involved in projects and events with them. Paradoxically, they actually tend to avoid long periods of exclusive intimacy and quiet solitude, seeing both as potentially limiting. Social types lose their sense of identity and meaning when they are not involved with others in activities that transcend their individual interests.

Sources:
How the Enneagram Personality System Works
Enneagram Instinctual Subtypes
Instinctual variants

Enneagram 'Tritypes'

The Enneagram ‘Tritype’ is based on fifteen years of research, hundreds of coaching sessions and tens of thousands of Enneacards Test results. This revolutionary concept significantly advances Enneagram study, revealing that we each use not just one, but three Enneagram Types in a preferred order.

Your Tritype consists of one Enneagram Type in each center of intelligence: Head (567), Heart (234) and Gut (891). Although one Enneagram Type is dominant, you also use two other types in a consistent order.

Tritype explains the distinct differences of those sharing the same Enneagram Type. For example, the 874 is a fast-paced, optimistic, creative, and emotional type 8 whereas the 826 is a more dutiful, loyal and helpful type 8.

Additionally, Tritype explains why those sharing the same Enneagram Types have a natural affinity for one another. For example, the 126, 216 and 612, are all focused on helping and being supportive of others regardless of which type is dominant.

The three types within your Tritype intersect, creating a unique defense strategy and focus of attention. The high side of this intersection is that it gives your life direction, focus and purpose. The low side of this intersection, is that it creates a blind spot which narrows your ability to accurately self assess which may keep you locked in self defeating patterns.

Most importantly, your Tritype combination identifies key aspects of your personality which when understood, can illuminate your path to greater self-awareness and a more fulfilling life.

How the Tritype works

Although one of these three Types is dominant, or your primary Type, the other two Types play a large role in your life. What is surprising is that these two other Types are not always the Types along the lines of connection (the lines connected to your primary Type).

For example, if you are a Type 9 you may or may not have Type 3 and/or Type 6 as part of your Tritype. You could have a Tritype of 9-2-6 or 9-3-6 or 9-4-6 or 9-2-5, 9-2-7 and so on. Each Tritype combination creates a different expression of Enneagram Type. If you are an Enneagram Type 4 you might have a Tritype of 4-6-8. This would mean you predominantly use Type 4, however, if the 4 strategies don�t work you will next use the strategies of Type 6 and then Type 8. Your Enneagram Type 4 would still be in charge. However, when the 4 strategies fails to produce results and all permutations (wings and lines of connections) of Type 4 have been exhausted, you will then shift to use the dominant Type in each of the other two centers to manage problems and create solutions.

If your primary Type is 8, you might have a Tritype configuration of 8-7-4. The primary Enneagram Type for you would be Type 8, however, this Tritype combination indicates that you would most likely be a strong, positive person who seeks solutions (8), options (7) and meaning (4). What is fascinating is that if the strategy of Type 8 fails to give you the desired results of overcoming obstacles, you would then employ the strategy of Type 7 and then if needed Type 4.

Tritype Examples

The Tritype reveals the distinct differences of those sharing the same Enneagram Type. The Tritype also explains how individuals sharing the same three fixations may have more in common than those sharing the same Enneagram Type.

For example, if you were an 8-7-4, you would have secondary strategies that are very different than an 8-2-6. The 8-7-4 is a fast paced creative, feelingful and optimistic Type 8 whereas the 8-2-6 is a more cynical, loyal and helpful Type 8. Further, if you are the 8-7-4 Type 8, you may relate more to a 7-4-8 than another Type 8 that has a different Tritype.

Understanding the Tritype in practice.

Just as with your primary Enneagram Type you will experience the other Types in your Tritype in both positive and negative ways.

To understand how this works in practice, if someone with a Tritype of 8-7-4, finds that taking charge like an 8 isn't working, they may try to lighten up or be positive like a 7, and if that doesn't work, may search for meaning like a 4. The 8 fear of being disempowered is driving the process. If the 8 still feels disempowered and unable to direct their circumstances the 8-7-4 may feel over-extended and scattered (7) and painfully lacking (4). So this person has used the strategies of three Enneagram Types, one from each of the three Enneagram Centers (Head-Heart-Gut), in a preferred order of 8-7-4.

Another example would be a 4-6-8. Here we have a more aggressive and reactive Type 4 than say a 4-9-5, who would be more withdrawn, passive (9) and avoidant (5). Another example would be a 9-7-2. This would be the Type 9 with a very rosy and positive outlook desiring easygoing relationships. A 9-5-3 would be the kind of 9 who is more intellectual (5), perfectionistic and focused on efficiency (3) with less of an emphasis on maintaining harmonious relationships than other 9s.

Source:
http://www.enneagram.net/tritype.html

·
Registered
719 Posts
I was thinking about a simple way to explain instinctual variant differences. How about: sexual doms like being around people who give them a charge, sps like to be around people who make them feel comfortable, and social types like being around people who make them feel like they belong. Yes?
If that's the case, I'd say I'm SP over SX or SO. I'm attracted and sometimes scared of SX type relationships where there is a stronger charge.

How does one find out their tritype?
Also, I have constant difficulty deciding what my instincts are. Many descriptions seem to fit.

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
I was thinking about a simple way to explain instinctual variant differences. How about: sexual doms like being around people who give them a charge, sps like to be around people who make them feel comfortable, and social types like being around people who make them feel like they belong. Yes?
A charge? Meh. I guess. It's intimacy that I really want though.

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
I came out 6w5, 4w5, then 1w9. Comes close, but I typically have to activate troubleshooting before it happens. My guess for myself would be more, 4-1-6, but I'll need to dig deeper to get a better idea.

·
Registered
3,112 Posts
eh... this test gave me 2w1, 7w6, 9w1

I think this is more of who I want to be and am trying to be rather than who I actually am.....

I mean the description basically describes the type of person that I want to be -

Your core type (your strongest type) is Type 2 with a 1 wing: Type Two individuals are generous and kind. Twos love others and want to be loved, and becoming close to others is a theme in the life of the Two. This is why Two is often referred to as the Helper type – because they keep coming, time and time again, to the aid of others. Out of all the types in the Enneagram, Twos are the most likely to help someone when they’re feeling down or when they’re being attacked. When a Type Two is stressed, they can become aggressive like an unhealthy Type Eight. When they’re healthy, a Type Two becomes emotionally aware like a healthy Type Four. You are a Type Two with a One wing, which means that the helpful nature of the Two combines with the idealistic nature of the One to make a very humanitarian personality.

Your second type (your next strongest type) is Type 7 with a 6 wing: Type Seven individuals are energetic, engaging, and playful. They have a love for life and can easily jump from one exciting topic to the next. The Type Seven thought process is a bit scattered, but that’s because they are easily interested in many different things. This is why Type Seven is often called The Enthusiast. When in a growth state, Type Sevens become focused like Type Fives. When they’re stressed, they become a perfectionist like a Type One. The enthusiastic nature of the Type Seven combines with the cooperative nature of the Type Six, making the 7w6 a very outgoing type.

Your third type (the least-used of the three) is Type 9 with a 1 wing: Nines are receptive, easygoing, and loveable. Out of all the types in the Enneagram, they have a special ability to get along with others. For this reason, they’re often skilled mediators, resolving conflicts both within themselves and among others. Nines value peace, especially inner peace, very highly. When in a state of growth, Nines become energetic and driven like Type Threes. When stressed, Nines become anxious like an unhealthy Type Six. You are a Type Nine with a One wing, which means that the harmonious traits of the Type Nine merge with the idealistic nature of the Type One. You have an idealized view of the world, and your drive toward harmony is one way to fulfill that dream.

Some words that describe you: relaxed, peaceful, harmonious, generous, helpful, selfless, loving, enthusiastic, energetic, spontaneous, fun.
I'm still fairly certain that my core is 4w5.

Idk... I'm quite confused. >.<

·
Registered
82 Posts
Ok, I came up as a 3-9-7. Scratch the wings for now. Which, I do see the 9 (which it was a 9w8 for the record, which that makes sense, b/c I'm not a 1 at all. That's antithetical for who I am). But first off, I really see the head as above the gut. Fine. But what I don't see is the 7. I really see the 5. I think the 7 is popping up b/c of some sort of overlap between 3's and 7's (let's face it, they mistype all the time. I'm sure I'm a 3w2, both b/c of looking into this for a while and having 7 friends, but externally, 3's and 7's can look the same. It's the internal motivations that vary). Are there other tritype tests other than the 1 provided? I want to examine this further. Or what does this all mean?

·
Registered
82 Posts
Ok, I came up as a 3-9-7. Scratch the wings for now. Which, I do see the 9 (which it was a 9w8 for the record, which that makes sense, b/c I'm not a 1 at all. That's antithetical for who I am). But first off, I really see the head as above the gut. Fine. But what I don't see is the 7. I really see the 5. I think the 7 is popping up b/c of some sort of overlap between 3's and 7's (let's face it, they mistype all the time. I'm sure I'm a 3w2, both b/c of looking into this for a while and having 7 friends, but externally, 3's and 7's can look the same. It's the internal motivations that vary). Are there other tritype tests other than the 1 provided? I want to examine this further. Or what does this all mean?
The reason I think I'm a 3-5-9, why the 5 is b/c in most tests I take, not tritype tests, but regular tests, 5 is one of my top 3. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
163 Posts
I've got 4w5, 9w1, 6w5...

Um... Before the test, I don't know about tri-type...

But I took long time to find my type to be 6w5...

And I think 6w5 has a better description to me...

But then... how should I understand this tri-type?

·
Registered
82 Posts
I've got 4w5, 9w1, 6w5...

Um... Before the test, I don't know about tri-type...

But I took long time to find my type to be 6w5...

And I think 6w5 has a better description to me...

But then... how should I understand this tri-type?
Hmm, well, the tri-type is a theory, an add-on to the enneagram. If you are still learning about your core type, I'd stick with focusing on 6, and then 6w5 for now. There's still plenty in the arena of understanding not only the wing, but the variants, which some say that has even more impact than the wings do.

What the tri-type suggests, although apparently there is some controversy around it, is that although you do have a fundamental core type, which for you would be 6w5, in fact in the background, you have other influences in the areas of feeling and instinctual perspectives. I think that test doesn't do it in order. So although it gave back 4w5, 9w1, 6w5, it's probably 6w5 and then one of the other two. I think it just always gives it feelings, instincts, and then head. So, by understanding the 4w5 and the 9w1 you see another dimension to what might be operative in your responses. Again, assuming that this theory is valid, which I still haven't found enough information to conclude that is.

·
Registered
4,636 Posts
I could use some help in this area as well... my core type is a four but I express very strong 5 tendencies. However, I also have a "public face" that I use for my friends- of course I share my tumultuous inner world to them, and I may be withdrawn among strangers or groups, but over time I have learned to put on a group face, and depending on where I'm at, I can play this role. I wonder how that plays into to my tri-type- I am more compliant with friends and strangers, but also can be argumentative over debates or with guys. With my family, I HATE to be controlled and am more open with angry feelings. I express anger freely with intimates. I took an extremely simplied enneagram test once based on choosing different paragraphs, one from group A B C that most applies and one that less applies, and one from group that most applies and one that less applies. 1 2 3. i got 4 as my core with 5 and 8 as follow-ups. However, if there is an eight element to my personality, my four counterbalances it with a feeling of being not accepted by strangers and repress this arguementative, controlling, sure-of-myself part most of the time. However, I feel that the being an 8 in my last tri-type might just be wishful tihnking. A 4-5-8 seems to a volatile combination of the most extreme and rare types. But that's not taking into my level of health, the lessons I have learned in life, and my desire to be accepted for WHO I AM and my understanding I don't have to compromise myself at a 5 and 8 that allows me to be normal in a group. Not to say I don't always struggle with feelings of alienation and loneliness, no matter how many friends I have.
is it possible if I'm a 4w5 to instead have a tri-type of 4-6-X? As a six I can relate to the facets of checking the atmosphere for, where do I belong, who can I trust, and playing the group rules to find where I belong. Relationships with others are VERY important to me and I often need to check up to see where we stand. When I took the enneagram tri-type test online here though, I got 4w5-5w4-9w1. And I don't have too much energy and can adapt to pretend to get along with strangers/anyone to make things flow smoothly and tend to let my friends plan the schedule, make the decisions, and just go along with them. But I am always free in disagreeing opinion-wise. And I do have strong values though I am flexible in how cut-throat I am in expressing them. Also, as a 4, I'm not entirely sure if I'm a five wing, because although I relate strongly to type 5 as well as type 4, I also relate to type 4w3 descriptions- I am attracted to the flashy, I am driven to do well and be noticed for my individuality.. but also, the area I do well in is academia and do extremely well in school so maybe that's because it appeals to the 5 in me... @[email protected]

So, I don't know. Since you can experience each of the enneagram types to different levels, maybe this is all irrelevant to me :/
Any suggestions for making this a bit clearer?

EDIT: actually, the social element to my personality, despite being a withdrawn, moody, depressive, analytical type, may be explained by my SO/SX variant... I repress negative emotions sometimes to maintain my bonds.

·
Forum Conspiracy Theorist
11,239 Posts
6w5 seems to be my primary enneatype. I assume I have some 1 in there since I do have some perfectionist tendencies and I do worry about being corrupt. As for the third thing, I'm unsure. Either 2,3,4 as that's all that's left.

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
If you are an Enneagram Type 4 you might have a Tritype of 4-6-8. This would mean you predominantly use Type 4, however, if the 4 strategies don't work you will next use the strategies of Type 6 and then Type 8. Your Enneagram Type 4 would still be in charge. However, when the 4 strategies fails to produce results and all permutations (wings and lines of connections) of Type 4 have been exhausted, you will then shift to use the dominant Type in each of the other two centers to manage problems and create solutions.
What is fascinating is that if the strategy of Type 8 fails to give you the desired results of overcoming obstacles, you would then employ the strategy of Type 7 and then if needed Type 4.
Intriguing. What would trigger a 'switch' in strategies from core fix to second fix - extreme stress, for instance?
When would use of the second (and even third) trifix occur? I.e. is it like MBTI's tertiary function, which first becomes evident in your late teens but then takes time to actually *develop*?

·
Registered
632 Posts
Oh my gosh, I just posted for help on my enneagram type earlier today, but I just now came across this, & the tri-type seems to fit me perfectly! :D
This is what I posted as a thread earlier:

Alright, I took a couple tests where it gives me percentages. I was basically tied between Type 2 & Type 9. I had a higher score with Type 2 by just 1-2% higher than Type 9. Type 2 fits me well, but Type 9 fits me almost as well. Then it told me my 3 most probable wings according to percentage. It said that I'm most likely either 2w1, 2w3, or 9w8. 2w1 nor 2w3 fit me too well, 9w8 fits me better. SO, the only conclusion I've come too is I'm a Type 2/9w8. I'm a sexual variant. They give you words that best describe you according to your results. I mixed together the words for Type 2, Type 9, Type 8, & with my sexual variant included. The descriptive words I got by mixing them were- "Devoted, Aggressive, Adventurous, & Self-Sacrificing".... these words fit me to a T, no words could describe me better. So, it seems to me I'm TRIPLE sure I'm Type 2/9w8, but I've never seen a result like this before? I'd highly appreciate it if someone could assist me. :crazy:

·
Registered
34 Posts
I could use some help in this area as well... my core type is a four but I express very strong 5 tendencies. However, I also have a "public face" that I use for my friends- of course I share my tumultuous inner world to them, and I may be withdrawn among strangers or groups, but over time I have learned to put on a group face, and depending on where I'm at, I can play this role. I wonder how that plays into to my tri-type- I am more compliant with friends and strangers, but also can be argumentative over debates or with guys. With my family, I HATE to be controlled and am more open with angry feelings. I express anger freely with intimates. I took an extremely simplied enneagram test once based on choosing different paragraphs, one from group A B C that most applies and one that less applies, and one from group that most applies and one that less applies. 1 2 3. i got 4 as my core with 5 and 8 as follow-ups. However, if there is an eight element to my personality, my four counterbalances it with a feeling of being not accepted by strangers and repress this arguementative, controlling, sure-of-myself part most of the time. However, I feel that the being an 8 in my last tri-type might just be wishful tihnking. A 4-5-8 seems to a volatile combination of the most extreme and rare types. But that's not taking into my level of health, the lessons I have learned in life, and my desire to be accepted for WHO I AM and my understanding I don't have to compromise myself at a 5 and 8 that allows me to be normal in a group. Not to say I don't always struggle with feelings of alienation and loneliness, no matter how many friends I have.
is it possible if I'm a 4w5 to instead have a tri-type of 4-6-X? As a six I can relate to the facets of checking the atmosphere for, where do I belong, who can I trust, and playing the group rules to find where I belong. Relationships with others are VERY important to me and I often need to check up to see where we stand. When I took the enneagram tri-type test online here though, I got 4w5-5w4-9w1. And I don't have too much energy and can adapt to pretend to get along with strangers/anyone to make things flow smoothly and tend to let my friends plan the schedule, make the decisions, and just go along with them. But I am always free in disagreeing opinion-wise. And I do have strong values though I am flexible in how cut-throat I am in expressing them. Also, as a 4, I'm not entirely sure if I'm a five wing, because although I relate strongly to type 5 as well as type 4, I also relate to type 4w3 descriptions- I am attracted to the flashy, I am driven to do well and be noticed for my individuality.. but also, the area I do well in is academia and do extremely well in school so maybe that's because it appeals to the 5 in me... @[email protected]

So, I don't know. Since you can experience each of the enneagram types to different levels, maybe this is all irrelevant to me :/
Any suggestions for making this a bit clearer?

EDIT: actually, the social element to my personality, despite being a withdrawn, moody, depressive, analytical type, may be explained by my SO/SX variant... I repress negative emotions sometimes to maintain my bonds.

not sure, but to me u sound like a 4w3-6-8...
5 is like really really really detached. and really rare.
just because you can be analytical doesn't mean you'll be a 5.
you said you work hard and excel in school... that sounds more like a 3.
5 usually wouldn't really care about excelling in school. they find it insignificant. rather, they'd be researching in-depth about other random subjects they find more useful/interesting. and they're usually incredibly good at something to the genius level in one thing. while getting a really low gpa.

you def. sound like you have elements of 6.
8, i'm not 100% sure, cuz some 4's show aggressiveness as well.
8's are more blunt, controlling, don't care what others think of them
and 4's care extemely about what others think of them althou on the surface they don't seem so.
and 4's don't like to be controlled because to them they're different from others, and thus don't see the need to follow the norm/others
while 8's don't like to be controlled becuz they hate to lose the grips.
but since you emphasized on the fact that you really really hate to be controlled, i'm thinking maybe u do have a 8 in your tri-type. but only you'll know who you truly are... only after a good self-examination and meditation, thou.

good luck! =)

Reactions: perfectcircle

·
Banned
1,526 Posts
5 is like really really really detached. and really rare.
just because you can be analytical doesn't mean you'll be a 5.
you said you work hard and excel in school... that sounds more like a 3.
5 usually wouldn't really care about excelling in school. they find it insignificant. rather, they'd be researching in-depth about other random subjects they find more useful/interesting. and they're usually incredibly good at something to the genius level in one thing. while getting a really low gpa.
Just because you do well in school doesn't mean you can't have a five wing. I did "well" because school was easy. I didn't try, but you know when you read every free moment of the day you tend to pick up on stuff. Granted, I got Ds in high school math and had the lowest gpa of anyone in my honors classes, but I still had a b average. I didn't study for the sats, acts, did ok, got an academic scholarship because it was based on a test of general knowledge about western literature and culture (again, after pretty much reading everything...easy).

The difference between 3 and 5 will be whether you do well because you care and work hard to succeed or because you do well because school is a joke.

·
Registered
4,636 Posts
@missybchoi and @brainheart
I don't knowwwwww omg.
I think if it is the five with 4w5 my tri-type is probably 4w5-6-9--- because that would explain the resenting being controlled and the occasionally fierce behavior because 5s can have tempers expressed at security point... I don't really express the anger with strangers. There is a giving, chill part of my personality and I can relate to nine's idea of kind of a lethargy.
However if my tri-type is 4w3, which I have considered-- when I first started enneagram I thought I might even be a 3w4-- but the differences comes in my unwillingness to morph for others. I want to be the best, I want to be noticed, I am competitive, but more for just the way I am-- maybe a kind of a 4w3 paradox.
Huh.
I'll think about this.
As for school- it is kind of a mix of both. I work hard to an extent. I let my grades drop down way low and then bring them back up before the end of the term. I skip work that i know I can make up. In classes I tihnk are a joke or am not interested in, I can get Bs. I often have gotten grades solely on my ability to understand concepts, the direction of the teachers' thought, skim the material the night before, and ace it. However, if I am interested in it, I delve into it passionately. I am aware my ability to not try as hard and then do better than others gives me some pride, which I think is a 5 thing. But, also, I would not be able to just blow work off in the end- because I want to suceed and do what I am capable of to do my best and enjoy the repuation of being good. Which seems like a three thing.
Can I have two wings..? (please)

·
Registered
34 Posts
Just because you do well in school doesn't mean you can't have a five wing. I did "well" because school was easy. I didn't try, but you know when you read every free moment of the day you tend to pick up on stuff. Granted, I got Ds in high school math and had the lowest gpa of anyone in my honors classes, but I still had a b average.

The difference between 3 and 5 will be whether you do well because you care and work hard to succeed or because you do well because school is a joke.
to me, excelling is A~A+ in HS and B+~A in college. so when i meant a low gpa, i meant like a B+ will still be a low grade compared to a 5's potential. Also, just because you're smarter than avg. ppl doesn't mean that you're a 5. i've seen so many intellectually gifted ppl that are no where near type 5. and to most of them, school works were a joke. anyways. moving on.

i thought my tritype was 4w5, and then i realized i was more like 4w3.
(i realized my 5-ness shows up when my 8wing disintegrates. so from 9w8, when i disintegrate i become unhealthy 6w5. but my 5-ness wasn't related to my 4-ness. this was a very important realization to me)

you can show both wings' qualities, but you'll prob gravitate to just one wing, like most other ppl.
so 4w3 is more like.. they like to let people know about their uniqueness/hurt feelings to the point of "exhibitionism" sometimes... (usually indirect ways tho)
the "image" thing is a lot more powerful here because both 4 and 3 care about self-image.

4w5 is the most withdrawn type of all the subtypes.
they're special to themselves and don't really care about whether others think the same as well.
like they'll seem a lot more mysterious, odd, eccentric and surreal than 4w3.
i think Phoebe in Friends is an excellent example of 4w5 (althou a more comical/abit unrealistic one)

and you have to take in consideration that what your behaviors show can fit into any type descriptions..
so you have to study more about the motives/fears behind.
also, when you read the descriptions of the types,
if you think "what!?!? this is NOT me!!!" then you're probably that type.
if you think "hm? eh.. ok, maybe?" then you probably aren't that type.

..yea.. i'm starting to doubt if you are a really 4 after all... hmm o_O

1 - 20 of 136 Posts