Personality Cafe banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6,983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do you deal with or how did you deal with the analytical and linear or "left brained" subjects at school as they call it?

I struggle the most with critical thinking, analytical and linear subjects at school or they give me a headache. Often requiring tutoring for them and plus universities are demanding left brained people because of employers doing so. I wish philosophy was available as a subject.

The government also turned English into a left brained subject deliberately at where I live due to demand for analytical minds, it's been confirmed. You have to write about things you don't care about that are picked by them in year 11-12 especially because apparently "that's the point".

Ones I have struggled with and parts:

English, mainly grade 11-12. Reason: Forced writing, making me write about things I don't care about or where my interest is not at. In fact the government incharge of it at where I live are deliberately making it as rigid as possible at where I live to concentrate on "critical thinking" or "analytical thinking" and because "employers" want those two types of people. I can't choose what I want to write about, essay writing has been my bane so far.

Maths: Boring, empty, meaningless. It's just so lifeless. Also gets extremely hard, I dropped it this year. I ranted and had a tantrum once when I couldn't do an entire sheet of homework.

Chemistry elements in science subjects: They give me a headache. So many formulas you need to remember and extremely complicated things. It's like maths. Some of this is present in bio and earth science and pretty much the only elements in them I struggle with. Chemistry and it's elements is like maths and gives me a headache.

·
Registered
6,983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I generally do well in history and enjoy it such as learning what conflicts and etc are caused and how it was like, etc but still have to work on essay structuring.

I happen to have an INTJ history teacher who's very open minded but sometimes makes the atmosphere of the classroom feel empty to be honest. However that's generally a small thing and it's better than the bossy teachers who scare me, any criticism of students such as even not getting things done is highly constructive.

·
Registered
2,809 Posts
Your description of Math encapsulated my experience with it. Stats in university, especially. Because I'm a silly Lord of The Rings fan, I applied it to stats. Exclaiming that I was pretty sure that statistical analysis was created in the fires of mount doom: 'One textbook to rule them all, one variable to find them, one standard deviation to bring them all, and in the darkness bind them!' Alright I feel like a nerd. Sorry, I went off topic. I do that a lot.

I have always struggled and required extra help in science/math courses. I am surprised to hear that you are having trouble in English. But perhaps it's the lack of freedom. Do you still find ways to make essays 'your own'- express your individuality by writing from your perspective?

·
Registered
820 Posts
In school I enjoyed both left and right brained subjects. Although this whole left/right brain division is a bit dated.

I especially liked math and science, chemistry was my favourite subject. I loved the analytical and critical thinking part. It was like a game you could play after you learned the rules. I did well also in the subjects that was considered more "soft". I think it was some sort of Ne thing: I wanted to learn about everything.

I think that the right motivation and attitude is critical for learning. I wanted to have a well-paid, steady job which for me meant "the better life" and those subjects are required for that so it motivated me hugely. I also knew I could easily learn them with some work so I didn't fall into despair if I didn't figure out the answers right away.

·
Registered
6,983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Your description of Math encapsulated my experience with it. Stats in university, especially. Because I'm a silly Lord of The Rings fan, I applied it to stats. Exclaiming that I was pretty sure that statistical analysis was created in the fires of mount doom: 'One textbook to rule them all, one variable to find them, one standard deviation to bring them all, and in the darkness bind them!' Alright I feel like a nerd. Sorry, I went off topic. I do that a lot.

I have always struggled and required extra help in science/math courses. I am surprised to hear that you are having trouble in English. But perhaps it's the lack of freedom. Do you still find ways to make essays 'your own'- express your individuality by writing from your perspective?
Yes it is lack of freedom and the government deliberately wants it to be like that in order to make it based on critical/analytical thinking. Its also rigid and some tasks are highly structured/organized. Yes I do write from my perspective but sometimes the topic can be too distant for that or one that is outside my areas of interest that I have not really focused on which makes it foreign to me. This is why many of our teachers of that type are really strict, its mainly because of the government incharge of that area.

Could also be because I'm not very organized/structured.

Yep I'm kind of a lord of the rings fan. I've watched some earler episodes durng childhood. Was one of the most original movies and is one of the most original books in this world.

I do particularly well when writing to express morality. An "Amoral" based society = Immoral to me.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I was good in analytical subjects like Maths or Science. I had trouble with Art, I was terrible at it. Contrary to the INFP stereotype...

·
Registered
4,041 Posts
Critical thinking, idea analysis, and data analysis are three of my top 10 transferable skills that I most enjoy using.

Geometry was my favorite math class in combing shapes and forms with logical proofs.

I would rather work a trig problem or vector analysis of a collision than do any accounting application of arithmetic. That gives me a headache: devaluing numbers by assigning monetary "value" (subjectivism).

Reactions: mushr00m

·
Banned
5,314 Posts
How do you deal with or how did you deal with the analytical and linear or "left brained" subjects at school as they call it?

English, mainly grade 11-12. Reason: Forced writing, making me write about things I don't care about or where my interest is not at. In fact the government incharge of it at where I live are deliberately making it as rigid as possible at where I live to concentrate on "critical thinking" or "analytical thinking" and because "employers" want those two types of people. I can't choose what I want to write about, essay writing has been my bane so far.
Shift focus from the subject you are writing about to what words you use in your writings. In other words: focus on English. Use fancy words, try different sentence structures, use expressions, metaphors etc. And. Even in an analytical essay you can always write creatively, you are not writing a journal article for a science journal are you? English is such a fun subject, so if it isn't fun for you...make it fun!

Maths: Boring, empty, meaningless. It's just so lifeless. Also gets extremely hard, I dropped it this year. I ranted and had a tantrum once when I couldn't do an entire sheet of homework.
Hmmm. Can't help you here. Math was my worst subject at highschool and at the time I wasn't really motivated to put in extra work. Now I regret that a little bit. Science is so interesting and if you truly want to understand numerous fields in science you need math. So if you aspire a scientific career, which you probably don't, focus on the things you could achieve later on. Or. Focus on the studies you can take after high-school. If you don't want to get into science then ehhm.......yeah...no idea haha.

Chemistry elements in science subjects: They give me a headache. So many formulas you need to remember and extremely complicated things. It's like maths. Some of this is present in bio and earth science and pretty much the only elements in them I struggle with. Chemistry and it's elements is like maths and gives me a headache.
I didn't mind chemistry at school. I was rather good at it for some reason. With chemistry it's: practice, practice, practice, practice. And practice some more. Maths and physics are a bit harder to learn, but method for learning chemistry was rather straightforward for me. Yup. You guessed it. Practice!

But. Whether you succeed in becoming more skilled in these subjects all depends on motivation. If you are not motivated to learn, you won't learn anything at all.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I was good at English, biology, chemistry, history & sociology (also RS looking back on my grades)

Unfortunately I have little clue of how things are marked in Australia... I shall try.

The only reason I did well in English was because I studied so hard- harder than any other subject because I knew I sucked at it and I needed to pass for A levels. Unsurprisingly I actually like reading Shakespeare & studying poetry so literature was fairly easy as whilst linking it to context you can talk a lot about moral issues of the time as long as you use quotes to expand your ideas you should be ok... A good tip from my English teacher was to steal everyone's ideas and use them to better yours also to assume every line has some sort of connotation or meaning even if it's a fairly straight forward line. As far as writing in a good essay format just make sure to have one point in each paragraph (apart from the introduction and conclusion) expand on the point using a quotation, link them to the context and make sure it's cohesive don't start a tiny rant no matter how much you want to. I hated English language though you just have to think how the reader feels about the language used I think.

With science I never got physics so let's just skip over it. Chemistry is fairly simple as long as you understand the basic principles and can apply it to questions there's lots of memorisation involved so be prepared to write flashcards & keep going over them... It's repetitive and boring, as far as the elements and such goes I honestly just have to think of it like algebra I have no other way to do it.

Maths... I'm not even going to talk about maths. I had an awful teacher who played us a DVD and skipped through all the topics he assumed we knew, he also refused to do boosters on any other day that I didn't have extra history, no surprise that the majority got D's.
@atenea I also sucked at art... Not because I can't draw but because I had no desire to analyse everything I drew, plus the workload was horrific.

·
Registered
6,983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I was good at English, biology, chemistry, history & sociology (also RS looking back on my grades)

Unfortunately I have little clue of how things are marked in Australia... I shall try.

The only reason I did well in English was because I studied so hard- harder than any other subject because I knew I sucked at it and I needed to pass for A levels. Unsurprisingly I actually like reading Shakespeare & studying poetry so literature was fairly easy as whilst linking it to context you can talk a lot about moral issues of the time as long as you use quotes to expand your ideas you should be ok... A good tip from my English teacher was to steal everyone's ideas and use them to better yours also to assume every line has some sort of connotation or meaning even if it's a fairly straight forward line. As far as writing in a good essay format just make sure to have one point in each paragraph (apart from the introduction and conclusion) expand on the point using a quotation, link them to the context and make sure it's cohesive don't start a tiny rant no matter how much you want to. I hated English language though you just have to think how the reader feels about the language used I think.

With science I never got physics so let's just skip over it. Chemistry is fairly simple as long as you understand the basic principles and can apply it to questions there's lots of memorisation involved so be prepared to write flashcards & keep going over them... It's repetitive and boring, as far as the elements and such goes I honestly just have to think of it like algebra I have no other way to do it.

Maths... I'm not even going to talk about maths. I had an awful teacher who played us a DVD and skipped through all the topics he assumed we knew, he also refused to do boosters on any other day that I didn't have extra history, no surprise that the majority got D's.
@atenea I also sucked at art... Not because I can't draw but because I had no desire to analyse everything I drew, plus the workload was horrific.
I don't have a problem with the language or English itself but according to the school the government incharge of that area purposely wants to give us literature deemed "boring" or to make it as rigid as possible so that it is about critical/analytical thinking. We have the most strict teachers as a result too for that subject.

Things such as writing the essays require rigid or orderly structures that tended to be my bane which is why I'm studying it the hardest too and achieved a mark of over 70% in a one on one speech.

I have difficulty with maths or chemistry because I'm not very mathematically minded. They hurt my head.

I don't get what's with the demand for more analytical over emotion in society today. Logic is seen as "cool" while emotions are seen as "irrational/stupid" and can be painted in a negative image.

What my reaction to my maths homework was like once(read subtitles): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hOpKc-kN3Bg

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.