Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's a personal matter, but I think a lot of people can relate to this:

I've turned into a new ENTP, but I can't leave behind being an INFP. Being an INFP, you're deep, unusual and quiet. You have the greatest aspects on life and you dwell on the best ideas and have the greatest of minds. Being introverted and eccentric, the view being a more extraverted character, I'm afraid I'll fall for the shallowest things, and get accustomed to settling for idiot things, like clothes, or friends, or stupid little jokes and puns, and being popular. It's great that I have "social skills" and "fit in"but to give up the true INFP mind... It's a shame!
Any suggestions on being infectious to all people, but still be deep and appreciate life and the meaning of living?

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Goodbye, the time we spent together was nice. Never forget us and I hope your future brings you good fortune :(

·
Banned
137 Posts
Congratulations on the change, I hope you won't forget us. My advice to not becoming too "shallow" is to just spend a lot of alone time. You can be sociable with people but try to stay away from them for the most part... That gives you a lot of opportunities to think deeper and build an inner world.

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
I don't know if I think a person's personality type can actually change. By developing the rest of your functions, you can become a more well-rounded person, and you may no longer behave like the stereotypical/extreme version of your personality type. The fact that you can play other parts doesn't change what's always come naturally.

But, I don't know. Maybe your personality type did change in a sense. Regardless, you're still the same person.

By the way, many INFPs do "fit in" and have social skills. You don't have to be a social outcast to be an INFP. Extraverts aren't necessarily shallow or obsessed with popularity, either.

·
Registered
2,978 Posts
im a little skeptical that someone can just go from INFP to ENTP without experiencing something drastic (maybe you have). Going from introvert to extrovert seems especially difficult. Going from extrovert to introvert, however, seems like a much easier transition.

·
Subterranean Homesick Alien
11,928 Posts
Face/palm, you don't know what extroversion and introversion are. I'm tired of the misinformation that goes around...

·
Registered
2,978 Posts
Face/palm, you don't know what extroversion and introversion are. I'm tired of the misinformation that goes around...
It might be in your best interest to INFORM people of what you think extroversion and introversion is rather than "facepalming" and getting tired of it. Just sayin'

Ii do know what introversion and extroversion is, care to explain what you think it is?

·
11,928 Posts
Explaining it does nothing anyway. I have no idea where people get this stuff from. It is the difference between having your focus turned outward or inward. You either gain energy externally, or internally. Nothing else...

There needs to be an article called "5 Misconceptions about Extroverts"...For realz...

·
Registered
2,978 Posts
are you upset because shes praising introverts over extroverts?

infps have the greatest minds, case closed:laughing:

·
11,928 Posts
That is subjective.
I am upset because there are many misconceptions about the differences between extroverts an introverts lol

·
11,928 Posts
what is the misconception if u dont mind me prying :happy:
By the way, I may sound like a robot because I cannot use my apostrophe key for some reason lol

These are just the misconceptions about extroverts that I have gathered:
-Extroverts love attention
-Extroverts cannot shut up
-Extroverts are social and immune to social phobia
-Extroverts are shallow and cannot contain depth
-Extroverts care more about popularity rather than individuality
-Extroverts are comfortable with people

These all have more to do with the actual personality of the individual rather than their extroversion. And also, having some of those traits does not mean that you are not an introvert or that you are less of an introvert than the other introverts.
I usually look at introversion and extroversion in terms of the cognitive functions of the person. Better yet, instead of, perhaps, looking at whether an xNFP is introverted or extroverted, try to determine whether they lead with Ne or Fi.

·
Banned
137 Posts
Well he probably doesn't have a strong grasp of this whole typing thing yet, so he's just going by the stereotypes. That's my guess. Anyone can change themselves anyway, right? You always hear of people turning over new leaves. Maybe this is what he did.

·
Registered
2 Posts
...Since when can you change?
Since ALWAYS.

It's not like being INFP means you lack the ability to be E, S, T, or J. Everyone has the capacity to be anything; it's more of preference than immutability, especially when you consider that the assessment relies heavily on self-reporting.

So, to the original poster: Good for you! I think too many people get so mired in the self-identification process that they let four little letters identify them, and then use that as an excuse for why they refuse to grow as people: "This is just the way I am." It's such a cop-out. Who's in charge of your life: you or your test results?

Be true to yourself, not a string of letters. Be a real person.

·
Registered
228 Posts
i can relate. you just deal with resenting a half of yourself. just consider yourself a positive infp who sometimes goes extrovert. and later on your back to an infp.

Reactions: Conscience

·
Registered
4,835 Posts
Explaining it does nothing anyway. I have no idea where people get this stuff from. It is the difference between having your focus turned outward or inward. You either gain energy externally, or internally. Nothing else...

There needs to be an article called "5 Misconceptions about Extroverts"...For realz...
thing is introversion/extraversion is a stand-alone idea in psychology that they worked into the personalty typing. From what i've read it breaks down liek this: 70% of people are actually ambiverts falling somewhere in the middle while 15% of people fall in as extreme introverts or extreme extraverts. another area that I/E affect is knowledge: extraverts tend to go for breadth of knowlege whereas Introverts go for depth of knowledge. and indeed life stylehas more to do with P or J and the Enneagram than I or E

Reactions: JerseyDevil
1 - 20 of 23 Posts