Personality Cafe banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Banned
5,877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've grown to notice how deeply different any concept is perceived by individuals of different types, instincts, combinations. It's interesting as often significant and subjective feelings get lost in translation.

What does trust mean to you, personally?
How do you think your own types play into it?

·
Registered
INTJ 5w4 Sx/Sp
2,387 Posts
I'm a type 5w4. I generally don't trust anything. I need time to study people and other things before I decide if it's worth meddling any deeper with. Some people who are close to me I of course place trust in, and even then there's still that thought of possibilities that technically could happen if I lower my guard.

I usually don't speak of these thoughts though, especially in romantic relationships as they can be quite hurtful sometimes. I also know these constructs are in high grade imaginary, but I still don't want to be caught without a backup plan. At my worst I can become quite neurotic about it, and I think the best way to avoid that is to surround myself with honest people.

I've always said that blind trust is never good in any form, and I don't really mind if people close to me would adopt a similar hypothetical distrust, because for me it's not personal, it's only sane. At the same time I understand that most people want "ordinary" trust and expect it from me, so I do try my best to show this sometimes too, but internally I still critically observe everything and everyone, including myself.

·
Registered
2,610 Posts
Complicated. I tend to think people are very complex and flawed, and capable of letting me down at any given moment, because their insecurities or weaknesses take over. Also, BECAUSE people can interpret things so differently, we all have many blind spots and are prone to misunderstandings. I basically expect people to disappoint me. Usually I more expect people to disappoint me out of human incompetence rather than out of human malice (unless it's someone who seems to have low empathy, and then I have little to do with them in the first place). I'm also aware I probably let others down in much the same way, so I try not to become too relied upon these days.

But on the regular, my lack of "trust" doesn't faze me much. I tend to trust myself to be able to deal with whatever BS might come my way because of someone else's actions -- often to my detriment, because I knowingly follow through with less-than-stellar judgement in hopes the potential benefits will outweigh the potential costs. I just expect to be able to clean up the mess later. When something DEEPLY matter to me, like when the potential costs are clearly very big, theeennnnn I will go much further out of my way to ensure less of a chance that people mess things up/hurt me. I can get neurotic about it when I truly care about something or know that consequences of failed trust will strike a serious chord.

But that's not most things.

·
Registered
2,610 Posts
I guess of the few people I'd say I trust... it's because I believe they have good intentions for me/in general, and we have proven in the past that we can communicate to work through issues as they arise. Issues will always arise with those you're close to, it's a matter of how resilient and willing people are to be flexible and compassionate and something other than completely selfish.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
I am a really trusting individual (in fact, too trusting)! I have been burned from my naivety, and extreme trust of others (which I have since curbed a bit in adulthood due to these hard lessons). I take the approach of trusting others, until I'm given a reason not to trust (which could be immediate upon hearing them speak, or looking them up-and-down). I don't really care whether others trust or don't trust me (though most people say I'm easy to talk to, and come across as non-threatening).

I trust myself to a fault. I think this is the SP-first instinctual variant at play, but I have supreme trust in myself to get things done, get what I want, and get myself to where I want to be going in life.

I do think my type plays a role in my trusting nature. I think many 7w6 come across as child-like, and have an innocence to them. I think 7w8 are decidedly less trusting (but I'm not sure). I also think, as a type 7, that not trusting someone takes so much more energy and scrutiny (which I sometimes don't want to bother with). Kind of in the same way a small child decides to forgo using the bathroom because they're having so much fun playing, only to pee themselves later. XD

·
Registered
6,540 Posts
Like respect, there's a basic level of trust I have always extended to people. They gain more or lose it by their own actions. Pretty straightforward. I have a healthy relationship with trust. I err on the side of optimism and assume stupidity over malice, but I am not an idiot. When something becomes a pattern, and I realize that contrary to my assumption, the person doesn't approach me from a place of goodwill, I will not be crossed again.

Despite my history of severe abuse and equally astounding betrayals, trust is not an "issue" or trouble spot for me. I have, at times, been irritated by being blindsided by people I considered friends or angered if the violation was major. I dealt with them accordingly. That's life. All in all, I don't anticipate violations of trust or be on guard for the same. If it slaps me in the face, thanks to some dumbass, then I will adjust my perspective and approach. It takes a lot for me to consider something betrayal. I may not expect it, but I absolutely hate it and never let it slide because it's a violation of respect and vulnerability -- two things I don't take for granted or let anyone else take for granted in my life.

Yeah, I'd say it's related to my type. I am a 7w8. If you are into tritypes, I have an 8 fix.

·
Banned
17,781 Posts
Like respect, there's a basic level of trust I have always extended to people. They gain more or lose it by their own actions. Pretty straightforward. I have a healthy relationship with trust. I err on the side of optimism and assume stupidity over malice, but I am not an idiot. When something becomes a pattern, and I realize that contrary to my assumption, the person doesn't approach me from a place of goodwill, I will not be crossed again.

Despite my history of severe abuse and equally astounding betrayals, trust is not an "issue" or trouble spot for me. I have, at times, been irritated by being blindsided by people I considered friends or angered if the violation was major. I dealt with them accordingly. That's life. All in all, I don't anticipate violations of trust or be on guard for the same. If it slaps me in the face, thanks to some dumbass, then I will adjust my perspective and approach. It takes a lot for me to consider something betrayal. I may not expect it, but I absolutely hate it and never let it slide because it's a violation of respect and vulnerability -- two things I don't take for granted or let anyone else take for granted in my life.

Yeah, I'd say it's related to my type. I am a 7w8. If you are into tritypes, I have an 8 fix.
this is basically me, except I tend to be a little more oblivious :laughing:

·
Registered
3,516 Posts
there have been times in my life when trust was very important, and times when it was misused and ironically enough, even more important due to the "misuse". though now, i don't even think about it, except for a passing thought of "what if?"; i make myself okay with whatever the decisions of another will be, for better or worse, and can still see my own path outside the actions of another person--i can keep on moving.

i also don't allow myself to be at the mercy of another person, either through making myself okay with the fact that their actions are outside of my control and that i'll "always have my own path", or just by knowing that i can walk at any moment/do whatever the hell it is that i feel like doing, and that i can make that work for myself.

but all of the above would be trust in terms of my personhood, and another's attempt to harm it... for emotional matters, or matters of the heart/more intimate aspects, trust has to be given for anything to ever exist, and that takes quite a while before i will invest in that way, or before i will open myself in that way. until that point, everything is more about fun, validation, and even acquiring more strength in myself by putting my myself first. (now would be the time to do it, ;)).

·
Registered
971 Posts
Trust feels like mostly a ''all or nothing'' thing for me. I either trust you or I don't. My first natural inclination is always to trust unless there is obvious reason to doubt.

This is counter-balanced by the fact that I tend to be a cautious person in general most of the time, notwithstanding if I trust the other person or not.

·
Registered
3,647 Posts
Type: 1w2

Trust isn't really something I stress about much. Generally, if I share something with someone, its because its something I would have no problem sharing with everyone. If its something that I wouldn't be ok sharing with everyone, I'll keep it to myself.

I like to give people the benefit of the doubt and I can't handle too many thoughts of paranoia or suspicion. It easier to just make a decision to trust or not trust someone and deal with the consequences as they come. I also tend to have a pretty good radar for who is trustworthy or not.

·
Registered
6,079 Posts
I don't really have a blanket criteria by which I decide whether or not to trust someone. I trust how I read people and my instincts regarding that are typically quite good, so I go by that. I suppose that's more for shallower levels of trust like "Is this person a creep?" or "Is this person safe to be around?" or something like that. I'm extremely slow to trust people on deeper levels, though, and honestly, I don't think I fully trust anyone.

I'm not sure if my lack of trust is related to type. I'm fairly sure I'm a 9, but there's still at least a decent possibility I'm actually a 6 so I dunno. In any case, I tend to think my trust issues stem from childhood things more so than typology.

·
🎀
11,795 Posts
I don't know,I don't think about trust much,but I guess I'm perhaps too trusting in some ways.I don't think it can even be called trusting since I'm not making any sort of judgment,it's simply not thinking XD
I just overshare sometimes and then I'm like "OMG,who is this person you just told everything to?"
I wish I could go back in time and unsay some things but I can't do that so I just keep talking and hope for the best,maybe try to fix what can be fixed
And sometimes there's things I just feel like I have to share,especially if I'm really proud of something that's actually bad XD,then I just assume the person I'm telling it to is trustworthy.

And generally I assume people really close to me care about me and therefore would not betray me.

·
MOTM Feb 2016
10,008 Posts
I've grown to notice how deeply different any concept is perceived by individuals of different types, instincts, combinations. It's interesting as often significant and subjective feelings get lost in translation.

I'm a 4w5, and trust to me means that an individual is reliable, honest, and can be relied upon to keep my confessions and expressions to them confidential. To trust somebody means that I have placed a certain degree of emotional investment in them, and that I have allowed the expectation that they will not treat that with ill-consideration, nor will they use that against me. I'm not sure how my type plays into it though, as I'm not well-read on Enneagram typology.

·
Wielding the mafia banhammer
1,514 Posts
Trust, to me, means:

-you do what you say you are going to do. Reliability means a good deal to me; if something comes up I need to know early so I can make other plans/arrange for an alternative/whatever. Don't waste my time with promises you aren't going to keep.
-you respect my privacy and don't pry. If I'm not telling something (especially personal information) I have my reasons for it, and I need to know that you respect my ownership of that, rather than thinking you're entitled to anything.
-you do not hurt me or mine. This means physically, of course, but it also means you don't use anything you know about me to wound me emotionally, or to steal or otherwise take advantage.

When someone violates any of those the trust is gone and unlikely to come back.

If someone holds to them, they will have my respect.

·
Host
ENTP 5w6 So/Sx 584 ILE Honorary INTJ VLFE
21,014 Posts

Trust is opening yourself up to another person and being completely honest with them. Being vulnerable and exposed, allowing them inside your defenses. My type is in my signature.

I've just experienced the worst betrayal of my trust I've had in 37 years. My ex-wife, an 8w7, someone I've been monogamous with for 19 years, 2 months, and 25 days, told me she no longer loved me, and that our marriage of 15 years, 6 months, and 1 day, was over. I found out she had been having an affair since last October. She had lost faith in the marriage sometime last Spring. She let me believe a lie for almost 10 months.

I hope I dare to trust again.

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
Trust is about reliability. I can trust an enemy to behave predictably, I can trust a loved one to keep my secrets, I can trust a contractor to uphold a contract — so long as they are reliable. Trust isn't necessarily an emotional thing to me.

INTJ 5w4.

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
My guess is that 684 would be the least trusting type as a general rule, especially with the SP/Sx instinctual stacking. The most trusting would likely be more like 937, being 7 is more spontaneous in nature to 5, so 5 giving themselves more to to think would mean more chance of the brain telling them trust may be a bad idea. I'm thinking 3's may be a little more likely to be trusting than 2's, as 2's being so ready to serve others often get used by others and over time they lose trust in people. And yeah, 9's are usually pretty trusting by nature. Soc/Sx I believe might be the most likely to be trusting instinct.

Reactions: Golden Rose

·
Lotus Jester
8,877 Posts
5w4 9w8 2wB

I tend to consider myself trusting in the sense that I make it a point to never allow myself to be vulnerable with anyone who hasn't earned my trust but with other matters; my motto is innocence until proven guilty and the keyword here, is "proven".

As an INFJ, I have an excellent read on my people and have an intuitive insight into their character; so I'm the mostly likely to get hurt when I put my head in the sand and ignore what my intuition is telling me.

I can sense immediately if an individual has some disempowering agenda or has an interest in manipulating me. I recently became very good friends with a person who is pure of heart, who allows me to express the vulnerability I never felt safe before expressing. I - for once - can do away with my usual erected boundaries and just relax in this amazing individual's presence, safe in the knowledge that they will never intentionally or unintentionally engulf me.

Reactions: Golden Rose
1 - 18 of 18 Posts