Personality Cafe banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dear ENFPs,

As we are supposed to have one of the best intuitions of all types, I was wondering what experiences you have all had with trusting your gut instinct? Have you ever been let down? And in the case that you have, what do you do when you can't trust your instinct anymore?

Just curious, any thoughts?

:happy:

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have learned that trusting my gut either brings a positive result or something i can really learn from. waiting around normally draws out unnecessary problems for me. One of the best examples i can think of -
sophmore year at college I overslept for my last final. I emailed the professor and he told me "get here ASAP to take your final because we are grading them and then leaving for summer." Well I got that email about 3 hours later, so I figured it wouldn't be worth it to go there (I was convinced I would fail the class anyways... even if I had taken the final!!!) but I followed my gut and ran to his office as fast as I could. When I got there he told me "sorry we are done grading.. there's nothing I can do" he felt really bad about it and ended up giving me a D in the class! I probably would have done worse if I had taken the final. Not to mention I would have most certainly failed out of college if I failed that class (was on academic probo). That's one instance where following my gut had a huge impact.
Other times I really haven't been "let down" by following my gut because there was always something for me to learn from it

·
His Majesty
12,625 Posts
My iNtuition usually leads me to read others emotions easily. Also I have feelings of certain things before they happen (Ne) So I love the fact that i can do that. But INFJs have AMAZING iNtuition! You should ask them about it!

·
Registered
4,835 Posts
Most of the time i find my second impulse to the sucessful one, for example when i'm playing video games i'll often do the second thing that comes to mind and be sucessful or whatever

Reactions: NaughyChimp

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
I have learned to follow my gut more as I get older.

A recent example is that my son got into some trouble (I will spare you all the details because it is a long story). His Dad and I are divorced. This is how it panned out. I would call over there and my phone conversations were limited to 5 minutes, and on speaker phone and the only thing my son would say is "yes ma'am" and "no ma'am". In the meantime my daughter is calling and freaking out about what was going on and someone else called and said I needed to get my son out of there. I really needed to find a way to get my son a message so I could figure out what the hell was going on because I wasn't getting information from his Dad. So, I had this thought that I could send a note through my daughter, to give to the kid she works with, that goes to school with my son but my gut feeling told me to just head up to the school on monday. Well, that following Monday I went in for lunch and my 17 year old son comes out and he says "talk about dejavu, I had a dream that I gave Matt a note, to give to Jessica, to give to you to come eat lunch with me on Monday morning". See? Strange things happen.

At any rate, my son is living with me now.

Edit: I actually think that my son's intuition is better than my own. He catches me off guard, routinely, with strange intuition things.

·
Banned
3,435 Posts
I've literally only just started trusting my intuition again after years of supressing it, thinking I was mentally ill or something (this is what my parents told me anyway)

It's been a really scary and life-altering experience.......but so worth it. Even if you fuck up. Who cares. Follow you 'gut'.....see where it takes you. If it all goes pear shaped, doesn't matter - you just learnt another valuable lesson.

That what life's all about ;)

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
I just thought of another time.

I, uhhhh, sleep without my pants on. Ya know? Well, one night before bed I thought "You should put your pants on, what if there was an emergency?". Except I didn't trust my gut and headed to bed without the pants on. Guess what? I was BAM awoken to an earthquake and I was all fumbling to get my pants on while my house was swaying back and forth. I generally have meaningless gut instincts but this just goes to show...if you think about wearing clothes to bed suddenly, just do it. lol

·
Registered
ENFP-A
2,227 Posts
I always trust my gut. I think as an iNtuitive person it's hardwired into me. It seems the natural choice to make, and I use that word "natural" on purpose. I've just always believed to go with your first choice, first impulse, and like @revisionist said earlier: if it's not positive (which it often is) then you can learn from it.

Applying logic to many situations on the other hand seems to be a cold, construct vs. a way to really live through iNtuition.

·
Registered
4,594 Posts
Definitely rely on my gut all the time. When I meet someone, I have a good or bad vibe about them and act accordingly. I'm typically correct. When someone is giving me a line of bullshit, I just know it. I'm pretty forgiving- and as I get older it's hard to get me "mad" .... I actually laugh thinking, "This person thinks they are fooling me." A lot of the time, I just play the game along with them if there is no harm done and I need to be in contact with them for whatever reason. My ability to read people only gets better and better. I love it. It gives me the kind of confidence in life that is very settling... like you always are aware of what's going on.

Reactions: NaughyChimp

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
My sister met her husband at a Hallmark store. After dating for a few months, he proposed. He came by to meet my mother after they were engaged - I had been home sick and was just feeling better, so I came out to get a brownie as he was chatting with my mom. He greeted me in a goofy, friendly way, put his arm around me, and teased me for eating a brownie when I was sick. >.> I don't really mind over-the-top goofy guys....my dad is one.... But something about this guy just didn't sit right. I told my mom he gave me a bad feeling. She asked me right before the wedding if he still gave me a bad feeling....I lied and said he didn't because it didn't really matter at that point.

Fast forward a few years. He cheated on her multiple times, took money from their bank account when he didn't have a job and they barely made enough to cover the basic living expenses, and they constantly had screaming matches. My sister finally kicked him out, and he responded by bursting into the house uninvited one morning to look for the "other man" she had to be keeping hidden. -.- He even denied that their youngest was his even though the kid looks exactly like him.

They get along much better now that he doesn't live with my sister anymore. He gets the kids every other weekend, but he's really bad about picking them up on time or letting her know when he's going to be late or not there at all. His place is an absolute pigsty that the older kids really don't like visiting. (He has another daughter from a girlfriend he had a year before marrying my sister that he only told her about after they were married and my sister made him start paying child support).

Long story short: I trust my instincts about people a lot more now. :p

·
Registered
47 Posts
Definitely rely on my gut all the time. When I meet someone, I have a good or bad vibe about them and act accordingly. I'm typically correct. When someone is giving me a line of bullshit, I just know it. I'm pretty forgiving- and as I get older it's hard to get me "mad" .... I actually laugh thinking, "This person thinks they are fooling me." A lot of the time, I just play the game along with them if there is no harm done and I need to be in contact with them for whatever reason. My ability to read people only gets better and better. I love it. It gives me the kind of confidence in life that is very settling... like you always are aware of what's going on.
I couldn't have said it better myself. Knowing your intuition is usually correct, and being able to read people really does give a huge boost in confidence.

Reactions: Laguna

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
Yeah I follow it, if there's a successful motive behind it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts