Personality Cafe banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do you guys balance needing to be around people at times, but then at the same time also not trusting people completely? Some days I can compromise and accept that I cant trust people completely, but other times its like my body is telling me I need to stay away from them and I have no idea why.:frustrating:

·
Registered
3,670 Posts
Well you can be nice to them; you don't have to be friends with them or spend so much time with them, nor tell them anything... know your boundaries.

I think if I feel the need to be around people, I usually go for a walk, change my scenery a bit. Exercise. I don't necessarily go find someone to talk to.

·
Registered
478 Posts
I tend to go to the city or somewhere with people where they're doing their own thing, usually down a street or to the beach. Sometimes some function of a kind and just observe people, that's one way for me to get social energy and engage my Fe.

Otherwise all I can say is, try to find people who you believe you can trust and tell everything to— I still do this almost every day and I find it's maybe 10% of INFJs that fit this bill. There's a subset that has spent a lot of energy on complete acceptance of another person however they are and still being able to love, like and care about them. I believe some ISFJs are like this as well and to lesser extents other personality types.

I think learning to be open and expressive, to disregard people who don't agree with you and be 'you' anyways is something all infjs would be happier doing. It's just that until you're around 25 or older, it's just so bloody unacceptable to be your own person, you are expected to fit in more than anything.

·
Registered
2,564 Posts
I deal with people despite insecurities, observing thoughts and feelings as they come. My distrust is usually not based on anything substantial.

·
Registered
749 Posts
I call my best friend which is one of the few people I know I can trust completely. People let you down.. or most of them will.. eventually. I don't trust a lot of people. I can be around them and be goofy and all, but I never let them in completely until they gained my trust. And if they do with time gain it and then violate that, then I kick them to the curb. I can be nice to them and talk to them but I never again tell them anything of importance or let them in. And with time ''our friendship'' will just round out in the sand as time passes by. I don't make time or space for people not worth of my wonderful personality ;p

Like @raschel said, know your boundaries.. And don't let people in your life that doesn't deserve you and the gift you are to the world :)

·
Registered
301 Posts
Keep a small circle of friends you trust, and maintain a reasonable distance from people you are unsure of. One of the advantages of preferring serious relationships to casual flings is always having someone trustworthy right there by your side. On the rare occasion I'm looking for advice from someone not fully vetted, l will speak in vague ambiguities to get their input without giving enough info to reveal myself.

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
I think you have to separate "not trusting people because they're malicious" from "not trusting people because they're stupid". I generally tend to believe in the second, not because I dislike people, but because I recognize that not everyone is on top of their shit as I am. So I don't expect that from others. Once I let go of that expectation, it's a lot easier for me to relax and enjoy their company. It's a bit like enjoying talking about sports or shallower topics with someone you know will never be your best friend. You can enjoy it for what it is without an expectation of anything more, and then move forward with your life. Same with making conversation with, say, taxi drivers. You'll never see them again, but you can enjoy the interaction while it lasts and the process of learning about someone else.

Of course, if you truly believe that others are evil, I'm not sure this advice will be much help. But I think you can trust most people to do the right thing if given the opportunity. I try to make it as easy as possible for people to be nice/helpful to me/others, and I try not to expect everyone to be like me. Life is a lot happier that way, because I used to expect everyone to be like me and then be frustrated when they would do something mean or forget something important, etc. Now that I don't have those expectations, I send reminder texts, I forgive people for making mistakes, and in general, I let a lot more things go.

Reactions: Songs unsung

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
Anyone who first gets past my official INFJ-brand Malefactor Detector, I trust blindly . . . until they outrage me in one way or another, at which point I go pout for a few days, then "rinse and repeat." It gives life that exciting "I'm a tennis ball at Wimbledon!" dynamic.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts