Personality Cafe banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do you guys handle it when it feels like your intuition is being challenges by other things? For example, while I was driving back to school the other day, I got the idea that I really should move back home. When I told my parents about this, they didn't seem to like the idea, but since then that idea has grown stronger and stronger, and I feel conflicted. What would you guys do? I guess I'm partially asking for help, lol.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
I've learnt to trust that others can be right and I wrong, so I don't always run with my own intuition. But if it's a strong feeling, and it doesn't go away in a couple of days or a week or so, I would start to prepare to act on it. So I guess I do trust my intuition very much. The final judgment however lies with my Fe and Ti, so it has to pass the criteria of making sense to my context and my personal flavour of logic.

As for your specific question: Can you express in words why it would make sense to move back in with your parents. Since Ni is very much unconscious, it seems to me that not everything it comes up is really a good judgment, if that makes sense. OK, now I realise I sound like I'm telling you not to, which I'm not... But I do want to understand if you have reasoned with yourself on this, or if it is "just" a hunch, if you know what I mean... :happy:

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Usually I find for me when the feelings get stronger, it becomes clearer and clearer as to why I have to go a certain way and then I don't need to tell anyone/my parents/etc that it's just a feeling I have, that I have something more 'concrete' to use as an explanation

Other times I just leave XD but my family is generally used to do this

·
Registered
737 Posts
How do you guys handle it when it feels like your intuition is being challenges by other things? ...What would you guys do? I guess I'm partially asking for help, lol.
I become irritated and even angry because I trust what I would call my Ni very much. I'm convicted by what I envision (even though it could be 'wrong' or 'erroneous'). After I've had my say or whatever I simply wait.

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
How do you guys handle it when it feels like your intuition is being challenges by other things? For example, while I was driving back to school the other day, I got the idea that I really should move back home. When I told my parents about this, they didn't seem to like the idea, but since then that idea has grown stronger and stronger, and I feel conflicted. What would you guys do? I guess I'm partially asking for help, lol.
I get what you mean... my first question is how strong of a "vibe" do you have from it? Are you sure its your intuition or is it a feeling?? If you completely put other factors aside, and look at your gut what feels "right" to you?

If even after a few days or weeks or a month that you still feel very certain about it, then go along with it regardless.

When I was in elementary school I decided that I wanted to be a teacher, but when I got to HS I doubted myself out of fear so I studied other things in college. I was not happy with those things so when I was deciding whether to go into teaching or not deep down I knew it was right... and that decision was still very challenging because many people around me did not think I could do it.
Now I'm almost done student teaching and feel much more confident. :happy:

So though it is good to listen to others sometimes (cause I can give other examples where I was simply blind for a while because of a bad observation) but... seriously, trust your gut the best you can.
If you are certain, do it.

... and if you've made right choice, you can kind of then see the other pieces come together that will follow. I got thrown off my "intuitive path" a bit in college, but now I'm getting on the right track again... how wonderful it is.

Reactions: Third Engine

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I get what you mean... my first question is how strong of a "vibe" do you have from it? Are you sure its your intuition or is it a feeling?? If you completely put other factors aside, and look at your gut what feels "right" to you?

If even after a few days or weeks or a month that you still feel very certain about it, then go along with it regardless.
I'm actually getting a pretty strong vibe. Usually, I get back to school and feel kind of crappy for an hour or two, but then I usually get better by the next day or so. This time, this idea's been with me for a week or so, I'm pretty sure it's my intuition is telling me something, but I'm still waiting it out to make sure it's not just me being emotional or whatever. So far, it hasn't. I was talking with my fellow INFJ friend about this, and he said basically the same thing--don't make any hasty decisions, but if you feel like it's your best option after you've held on it for a while, then go for it.

When I was in elementary school I decided that I wanted to be a teacher, but when I got to HS I doubted myself out of fear so I studied other things in college. I was not happy with those things so when I was deciding whether to go into teaching or not deep down I knew it was right... and that decision was still very challenging because many people around me did not think I could do it.
Now I'm almost done student teaching and feel much more confident. :happy:

So though it is good to listen to others sometimes (cause I can give other examples where I was simply blind for a while because of a bad observation) but... seriously, trust your gut the best you can.
If you are certain, do it.

... and if you've made right choice, you can kind of then see the other pieces come together that will follow. I got thrown off my "intuitive path" a bit in college, but now I'm getting on the right track again... how wonderful it is.
Ah, that's very encouraging!:happy: I'm glad that's worked out for you, tgcd.

Something I need to work for is to actually make decisions without relying too much on other's judgment, especially if it's someone I really respect, and do what I think is best for myself.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts