Personality Cafe banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Which ennegram type would be feeling very unhappy, yet believing and longing for the "new beginning" that's "just around the corner"?

I write songs and even though I write the most when I'm emotionally upset (I am emotionally intense) the lyrics always come out positive.

I almost settled on 4w3 sx/__

But then I thought, wait, I can be stupidly, positive, is that a 4 trait?

I feel intensely negative emotions, but sometimes only to counter them with intense optimism later, though to my chagrin only because I wish I could keep from being heartbroken. I want to and can dwell on the negative, but not long without believing that it will get better.

Sometimes I remind myself of an overly loyal puppy who keeps getting kicked *eek*.

But that's when it comes to life in general, people can be a whole different story. When someone hurts me I want to cut them off quickly because I know myself, plus I can't shake the feeling that I have a better life ahead of me without them.

It's like I swear up and down life will be sunshine and roses one day and don't tell me otherwise :rolleyes:

I relate to 4s, but even though I'm emotionally intense, I'm also an optimistic dreamer.

So here's my questionnaire:

Main Questions

1. What drives you in life? What do you look for?

Love, happiness, peace, contentment, adventure.

2. What do you hope to accomplish in your life? ??? Well I want to be a musician, and then a mommy lol "happily married ever after" and I want to be able to follow my interests freely.

3. What do you hope to avoid doing or being? What values are important to you?

Uh I want to avoid being unmotivated, uninspired, and most of all being sad and being around sad people. I want a happy family.

4. What are your biggest fears (not including phobias)? Why?

Being alone and homeless, but also settling.

5. How do you want others to see you? How do you see yourself?

I want others to see me as an authentic person who brings them joy. Seem ones who's creative and touching.

6. What makes you feel your best? What makes you feel your worst?

Meeting new people, doing the things I love (performing, being outdoors, exercising, getting people to try new things with me), and having positive interactions (going out to eat with a group and everyone being happy) make me feels my best.

Feeling trapped and being surrounded by miserable people make me feel my worst.

7. Describe how you experience each of: a) anger; b) shame; c) anxiety.

a) It's hard for me to express anger and it will often turn into sadness. It takes very specific things to get me angry. If its true justified (to me) anger I will express it to whoever has made me angry not by shouting but sternly in a way that does get my point across. If its really intense I've had a habit of waiting until I'm in private and broken things, but you can still see it on my face and hear it n my voice until then.

b) Shame, hmm I really don't know.

c) Anxiety, if I feel anxious I obsess about things. If I feel threatened in some way I'll feel anxious. Disagreements and discord make me anxious.

8. Describe how you respond to each of: a) stress; b) unexpected change; c) conflict.

a) Stress I retreat or escape, blow things off, I get overwhelmed and feel like I I can't think about whatever is making me stress out until its the last minute.

b) It depends on if it's a good change or bad. If its neutral I see the potential for something good. If it's bad then I feel emotionally conflicted and trapped.

9. Describe your orientation to: a) authority; b) power. How do you respond to these?

a) It depends on whose in authority, I don't like rigid authority figures, I avoid them. Actually that applies to most authority figures, I usually respect them but avoid them anyway.

b) I personally don't like too much power in one spot or person, I like it divided, even if I'm the one in power, I don't like having it all to myself because I don't like decisions weighing down on me o being blamed for everything.

10. What is your overall outlook on life and humanity?

It's flawed, but with the potential to be very enjoyable and beautiful, you just have to want it to be.

Optional Questions

11. Discuss an event that has impacted your life significantly; more importantly, how you responded to it.

That's a hard one.

12. Comment on your relationship with trust.

I'm pretty trusting, I like to leap with both eyes open. I accept people first, examine them later.

13. List some of the traits you: a) like; b) dislike most about yourself.

a) I'm an idealist, loyal, people-oriented, adventurous, and honest. I look for more in life.

b) I'm impatient, it's hard for me to follow through, I can be scattered.

14. What do you see or notice in others that most people don't?

Their intentions. And I just tend to be more aware of other people in general.

15. If a stranger insults you, how do you respond/feel? What if they compliment you?

My feelings will be hurt, and I'll think about what they said, and talk myself into brushing it off by deciding that they're a really nasty person. I might make a sarcastic comment.

If stranger compliments me I feel especially flattered and friendly towards them.

16. What's something you are: a) thankful you have; b) wish you could have? Why?

a) I'm thankful I have my spirituality/relationship with God because it keeps me grounded and uplifted when things get hard plus gives me an outward perspective.

b) I wish I could have my "soul-mate" for lack of a better word.

·
Registered
6,540 Posts

Love, happiness, peace, adventure, contentment- How is that for a core 4's primary drives?

Being sad, being depressed and being around depressed people is something OP wants to avoid. Feeling trapped and being around miserable people is a big problem for her? Her reply to the shame question is..."hmm...I don't even know". The number of times she talks about positivity, happiness is substantial. Even her connection with God, in some ways, has to do with staying uplifted. And, she is being typed a 4?

Come on guys, this is 7. The entire post is screaming core 7. SO much in there goes completely against core 4, it's not even funny.

OP, a 4 amplifies negative emotions and explores the dark recesses of pain like no other type. 7s have an aversion to emotional pain, and a 4, quite simply, dwells on it. It intensifies their feelings of difference, even superiority. Everything you describe is the very opposite of the 4 fixation. I am glad you thought about whether or not such undying optimism, desire for happiness and so on even relates to core 4.

7w6-9w1-XwX

I'll have another look before I talk about your heart type.

In the meantime, I want you to read descriptions for 7 and..yes 4 here:

1. Typewatch Enneagram: Typewatch Enneagram Type Descriptions

2. the enneagram ...info from the underground

p.s. 4s don't have a monopoly on creativity, individuality and spirituality. mentioning "anxiety" doesn't make a person a 6.

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
I agree with @Boss, I don't see Four in any way, shape, or form. O__O I was wondering about Seven, wasn't sure. 7w6. As for you gut fix, I don't see any Eight whatsoever, and I don't see a ton of One, so I doubt you're 1w9, but I can see 9w1. As for you heart/image fix, I somehow get a "Two" feeling that has no back-up in your post whatsoever. XD I don't think I see Four as your image fix, and I never saw any Three. But I dunno. XD Listen to Boss, she's awesome at this sort of thing. Haha. ^^

·
Banned
891 Posts
It's true that mentioning anxiety does not make one a six, but I saw a lot of it in there (I guess that's something that stands out for me). And yes, I also am aware that other things in the OP's post eclipse the anxieties mentioned to a fair degree- but that had to be pointed out to me. When you are a stressed out person, you pick up on anxiety readily. In real life, I am great at figuring out who has an anxiety disorder or issue- probably because individuals like this have a shared issue with me.

I don't know 7s very well at all. I hear "Type 7", and one of the first images to pop in my head is some super-optimistic, life of the party type person. Now, I am aware that that is an oversimplification, and most 7s not like this. I probably have this idea come to mind because I have a tendency towards pessimism. I see someone posting a lot of positivity, and in my mental state, it looks like a foreign language that I don't fully understand. I don't recognize hope/positivity much of the time, unless someone is being extremely obvious about it.

Glad the OP has an answer now, though. :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts