Personality Cafe banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I've been trying very hard to stay positive about things. I hope that one day that it can come more naturally, but I am getting better at turning negative to something positive. Recently, the guy that I really liked got back with his ex-girlfriend. I won't lie, I was pretty sad about it, but this time I didn't cry like I usually do. In the past I would have gone to my room and balled my eyes out.But this time I thought to myself, "Well, I guess it wasn't meant to be. Time to move on. Maybe once I'm completely over it, I can actually honestly say to him, 'I'm happy for you'. And I'll find someone better in the future, I'm sure ".

My grandmother who I've lived with for so many years, moved out of my house because she got tired of the rest of my family without saying anything. It made me really upset at first because I felt like I'd just been abandoned by her. But now I've been thinking, it's better this way. There's less fights between my family now that she left. I love her because she's my grandmother, but her drama caused too much pain for the rest of my family and I sure she's happier living apart as well.

Anyone else working on being more positive? :) If so, can you share an experience of turning something negative into positive?

·
Registered
5,245 Posts
Still something I am working on when unemployment can begin to take its toll on self motivation and perceptions of self; thinking that it may be possible to add a day or afternoon with nothing but positive self talk and few distractions.

·
Registered
193 Posts
god its hard isint it? for me its turning that little voice inside me down or possibly off if I can,I sit there and think about what is he doing, why hes doing it,what paths he's taking, where they will lead him eventually, god it used to literally drive me nuts,until I realised that until I have to focus on me and what im about/upto.My councillor asked me to say this to myself" when I say no to you, I say yes to me" and its true, I needed reminding that I have to take care of me, actually think about me instead of worrying about other's needs first, how am I going to be in a position to help others ( which is something I enjoy) when I cant take my own advice? so yeah Im learning , getting comfortable with the idea of "saying yes to me" isint a bad thing. goodluck on your journey luv;>:kitteh:

·
Registered
4,171 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Do you guys also sometimes have the problem of being misunderstood? I feel very down in the dumps when peoples don't get me.
Affirmations work, for a while till someone destroys my day again. I am sure is the F function, dammit!
I have been exercising for the first time in 10 years! And I definitely feel better.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
god its hard isint it? for me its turning that little voice inside me down or possibly off if I can,I sit there and think about what is he doing, why hes doing it,what paths he's taking, where they will lead him eventually, god it used to literally drive me nuts,until I realised that until I have to focus on me and what im about/upto.My councillor asked me to say this to myself" when I say no to you, I say yes to me" and its true, I needed reminding that I have to take care of me, actually think about me instead of worrying about other's needs first, how am I going to be in a position to help others ( which is something I enjoy) when I cant take my own advice? so yeah Im learning , getting comfortable with the idea of "saying yes to me" isint a bad thing. goodluck on your journey luv;>:kitteh:
Thank you :) I think I'm up to a good start.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Do you guys also sometimes have the problem of being misunderstood? I feel very down in the dumps when peoples don't get me.
Affirmations work, for a while till someone destroys my day again. I am sure is the F function, dammit!
I have been exercising for the first time in 10 years! And I definitely feel better.
Quite often, but I've gotten better over the years to not let it upset me too easily :) I know I can be a complicated person, so feeling sorry that no one understands me is just hurting me. :p But good luck with you :)

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Yes, I am. It's hard to do, but ultimately it makes me happier. Thinking negatively only makes you feel bad, and I feel bad enough at other times so I don't need any more!

I guess I'm at the point where I automatically remember I need to do something whenever I start falling into a negative thought pattern. I had to lie down a lot today from a headache, which meant I couldn't sleep tonight. And I started thinking about stuff that upsets me. In the past, I wouldn't have even realised and could be there upsetting myself for 4 or 5 hours. But now I notice it, so I got up, had a hot whiskey and decided to internet for a bit.

I'll probably sleep okay when I go back. :happy:

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
But now I've been thinking, it's better this way. There's less fights between my family now that she left. I love her because she's my grandmother, but her drama caused too much pain for the rest of my family and I sure she's happier living apart as well.

This was my reasoning when my parents got divorced, and later on when my sister was kicked out of the house.

I am the sort to naturally be positive, so that sometimes I have to remind myself perhaps there is more weight to the situation, and perhaps I need to give the negatives that I feel a brief audience. It's my attempt to not brush things under the rug that need dealing with, I suppose.

So with the "it's better this way" reasoning, I have to remind myself to not leave it at that, and to look in the corners where It hurts me that my family members have rifts between them.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts