Personality Cafe banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having been sent to a private school, studying Engineering at a good Uni, and working in Sales for a year and Data Cataloguing for another has made me very good at suppressing the subjective parts of my thinking and to remain logical and efficient.
But it really does knock the energy out of me. When I finally do burnout, it's such a terrific disappointment.

Any other INFP's out there in or been in a similar situation? Can you think of any good coping mechanisms?

·
Registered
270 Posts
If you're looking for a solution at work, I would say 1) Create a solid people network for yourself at work so you feel some more levels of support and connection. 2) If you can find any wiggle room for it (I'm not sure how much choice, if any, you have to pick what you work on.), find projects that have some sort of social bent that would motivate you/get you excited. 3) Do some feeler-y things that won't take away from your job performance, like exploring new music while also data cataloguing. 4) Maybe try out going to talks or symposiums in related areas to your work (even remotely related could do) that could inspire you. A lot of talks these days look at bigger picture ways of how changes in this or that field could positively impact others.

Otherwise, make your out of work time robustly feeler-y. Do art, delve into all the sorts of hobbies, do yoga, see other feeler friends like in book clubs and for tea! Sometimes, if I'm feeling this type of burn out, I think that all I want to do is lay in bed for a day. But what helps me more is to inject some big soothing waves of art and feeling into my life. To get myself started, I'll read poetry out loud or find a youtube video of a reading. Even just asking friends about a good book they've read lately is something I do regularly to experience some humanities time!

·
Registered
270 Posts
Additionally! There's this great art magazine out of Berlin called Art Parasites, and their Facebook page is really nicely curated and just wonderful. Lots of posts pairing poetry and quotes with visual art. Today's post should be a mantra for Fi users who work in emotion-minimizing work and school places:

"Stop minimizing and discounting your feelings. You have every right to feel the way you do. Your feelings may not always be logical, but they are always valid. Because if you feel something, then you feel it and it’s real to you. It’s not something you can ignore or wish away. It’s there, gnawing at you, tugging at your core, and in order to find peace, you have to give yourself permission to feel whatever it is you feel. You have to let go of what you’ve been told you “should” or “shouldn’t” feel. You have to drown out the voices of people who try to shame you into silence. You have to listen to the sound of your own breathing and honor the truth inside you. Because despite what you may believe, you don’t need anyone’s validation or approval to feel what you feel. Your feelings are inherently right and true. They’re important and they matter — you matter — and it is more than okay to feel what you feel. Don’t let anyone, including yourself, convince you otherwise." —Daniell Koepke

Paired with this painting by Thomas Donaldson.
Painting Pink Watercolor paint Art Acrylic paint

·
Registered
101 Posts
I just recently got my bachelor's in business tech management and I can see where you are coming from. Many times I've heard it was okay to be abstract, but I never see any proof of that. I don't have any coping mechanisms myself so I'd like to hear from someone else as well.

·
Registered
820 Posts
My coping mechanism is to say fuck it. There's no reason to think that being objective is any more valuable than being subjective. It's different than the TJ-way but the results aren't any less good. I'm good at subjective, I know I'm operating at my absolute best level when I'm being subjective. If I try to remain objective it's like doing the same job but shooting yourself in the leg while doing it.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I concur completely. I major in Chemistry at college and while I love it, with so much physics, maths, chemistry, statistics, and so much analysis, there is a severe lack of feeling types in general in my entire course and it gets tiring. I find myself every couple of months feeling apathetic, bored, oppressed emotionally and misunderstood and miguided, like I'm on the wrong path or something. For me, the only way to combat this is to step back from everything going on in my life and indulge in something to really make me feel. For me, I like to wander alone by myself in cafes or around the place just observing people and things and guessing what they might be like/thinking/feeling, and this can stretch so far as personifying the most mundane objects: I just need to get away from the world. MORE so though, I have a love of writing and I carry a journal with me. When I feel stuck in a rut, I'll start writing and continue until I feel some relief. When I'm overly-emotional, I'll probably pen a poem. I carry the journal at all times and when something catches my eye or crosses my mind, I make time for it among the mundanity of objectivity, where I can be really subjective and opinionated. I also love music, and bashing away on different instruments or just listening to something and emotive and creative can in its self be really therapeutic.

In general, I like being around friends where I can kind of speak my mind and I think a good support network is really really important, where you can feel valuable and validated and accepted for you. But to really indulge in subjectivity and artful expression, I need to get away and be within myself. Dance, art, writing, music, even just dressing expressively or going for a coffee alone, sitting on a park bench for a half an hour all helps.

Sorry for the rant! But yeah, that's me. I like to write.

·
Banned
678 Posts
Trust me, it's very possible. And with enough practice, people will start to think you're anything but subjective.
The word try has the implication of failure within it. As a wise Jedi once said, "Do, or do not. There is no 'try.'"

Don't get me wrong I think trying has its place and can be valuable but not in a situation that is desired to be maintained. The act of suppression is going to fuel whatever it is you are trying to avoid in my opinion and experience, then you get the eventual burnout. To retain that state indefinitely while suppressing part of yourself is likely impossible. However being logical is a large part of you too and isn't mutually exclusive with being subjective (which everyone is). I haven't met a person who isn't subjective. From the OP my only recommendation, if it can be called that, would be to change focus from suppressing a part of you, acknowledge it, to the logical side of yourself that is already there. As someone who chose a very traditionally logical field I can relate to what you've said. Efficiency is something I can't really talk about though ;)

·
Registered
294 Posts
As ALittleSalt has said, I think that engaging in hobbies and interests that allow or demand subjectivity can do wonders. Go explore a new genre of music or art - or give yourself some time to do some creative writing once in a while, if you're into that. Go to wine tastings, find a dish recipe that you can customize and get creative with, or people-watch from a café window. All these things allow your subjective mind to unwind. When times are tough, I personally like to listen to meditative music as I go to sleep, and go into wild fantasy mode (wait that sounds kind of dirty... Heh). Even this very website is a great place to unleash your subjective mind. Take surveys that ask you for your personal opinion on things. Express your innermost thoughts without shame in a few threads. Every little activity helps.

A lot of people I know seem to think that a subjective mind is useless. But wouldn't the world be such a boring place if 'usefulness' was the only standard of measurement for judging the worth of things/people?

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
Having been sent to a private school, studying Engineering at a good Uni, and working in Sales for a year and Data Cataloguing for another has made me very good at suppressing the subjective parts of my thinking and to remain logical and efficient.
But it really does knock the energy out of me. When I finally do burnout, it's such a terrific disappointment.

Any other INFP's out there in or been in a similar situation? Can you think of any good coping mechanisms?
I could very much relate to this. I work in Engineering but my degree is in Journalism and communication. I have an artistic, creative mind. I enjoy the drawing and preparation of engineering documents. Beyond that functioning, I'm prone to mistakes and oversights. I learned that I am very good at following an engineer's design but not comfortable acting as the lead in designing and problem solving installation concerns. I would get stressed and burned out.

So after a time, I decided to follow my personality preferences and do the things that agree with my preferences and gain me most success and recognition and leave the other concerns to the rest of the staff members who excel at those things. I play a key role in the design process team by doing those things which I have mastered on my own.

The result is that I found peace of mind and do get great recognition for my contributions to the projects by working efficiently and using programming to overcome my tendencies to be inconsistent. I make the computer work for me to insure accuracy, etc.

The best thing about knowing your MBTI personality type is to use it to find your niche in the company's efforts that make the best use of your innate talents and tendencies. Some times it means moving to another company to find the coverage (in terms of manpower) you need to allow you fill a more specific niche.

5,146 Posts
Could you elaborate on what the subjective parts of your thinking are and what remaining logical and efficient is?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts