Personality Cafe banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To begin, it's about trying to understand a particular ISTJ I know of. I'm an INTP and my sister is an ISTJ. I know we do have quite a few differences that I could understand in terms of making decisions, but sometimes there are habits of hers I don't quite get and hope that I could get some answers from you fellow ISTJs. I do understand that everyone is different, even if they share the same MBTI. Even though, I wish to have some opinion on what you guys think. My ISTJ sister is probably pretty strong on the J: She always complains about sheets that have a tiny crease, if something looks messy to her in her own room, while it looks perfectly clean to others, and she takes a long time to do her bed because she dislikes creases. Even if I accidentally have my hand leaning on her bed while speaking, she believes I'm trying to pick an argument with her because of the crease it's left. She's also pretty quick to act if something isn't done the way she wishes it to be (100% accurate). And she did actually take the MBTI quiz and got ISTJ. Her enneagram is type 1 though I'm not sure about the wing, if it helps. I'm just wondering if there is any special reason she's that way, and how I could change my approach in acting around her. I have asked her, but she just sighed and complain about how INTPs are lazy and ridiculous.

·
Registered
684 Posts
Is there anything else about her that seems ISTJ to you? I'm going to have to agree that this sounds more like OCD. I'm ENFP and even I have my OCD moments; I don't think it has anything to do with MBTI type.

·
Registered
326 Posts
I absolutely hate creases in my bed! Honestly, the first thing I do when I wake up is make my bed. If my cat sleeps on my bed I actually pull the sheets taught if I happen to notice. I'm pretty sure I'm OCD, I can't go to bed at night unless everything is in it's place. Or I can't leave the house unless my house is spotless, I don't want to come home to chaos. I like my home being consistent and exactly the same, otherwise I feel like I need to do something about it and can't relax unless it "feels right". I hate driving a dirty car and never leave trash in my car (empty water bottle, piece of paper) I hate finger prints on glass. Most of the time I do things myself because I know I won't be happy unless I know it's been done the way I want and I don't want whoever was trying to be nice to feel inadequate.

On the flip-side, when I have guests, I could care less if they put their feet on the table, makes a mess, put fingerprints on my tables... it's weird I know (but I clean shortly after they leave). But when it's just me at home, I want everything in its place.

It could be linked to an ISTJ in that we like things perfect and consistent... but I mostly agree with the other posters, it's less of an MBTI typing and more of a individual personal trait for someone who is OCD or has OCD tendencies.

·
Registered
188 Posts
so you re saying she acts like female?

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Not sure, but if she is a Type 1, you'll want to show her your competence and respect her desire for perfection.
Sounds reasonable though I'm not sure how it would work, since we have interests in different fields. While she plans to get a high position in society, I simply plan to reach for what I want subjectively than showing my worth.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Is there anything else about her that seems ISTJ to you? I'm going to have to agree that this sounds more like OCD. I'm ENFP and even I have my OCD moments; I don't think it has anything to do with MBTI type.
For introversion, she hates to get dragged outside to socialize for 2 days in a row. If it's just school or with friends, it's fine. But in the holidays, she absolutely hates it. For Sensing, she also doesn't like it when I question things like meaning of life, philosophy and things that aren't readily facts. Thinking is kind of self-explanatory. She will point out a mistake straight away without any sugar-coating. She also prefers to conform with society more than me. I don't know about OCD but I've seen most of the comments pointing to that.

·
Registered
684 Posts
For introversion, she hates to get dragged outside to socialize for 2 days in a row. If it's just school or with friends, it's fine. But in the holidays, she absolutely hates it. For Sensing, she also doesn't like it when I question things like meaning of life, philosophy and things that aren't readily facts. Thinking is kind of self-explanatory. She will point out a mistake straight away without any sugar-coating. She also prefers to conform with society more than me. I don't know about OCD but I've seen most of the comments pointing to that.
Okay. In my opinion, she appears to be an ISTJ.....with OCD. And it also seems that these OCD tendencies are causing you confusion.

However, if they don't have a direct effect on you or your well-being, I'd say just try to ignore these quirks. If she wants to take forever to make her bed, let her take forever to make her bed. If she hates creases, let her hate creases. Just try not to rest your hand on her bed so she doesn't get mad at you! :p

As far as expecting things to be 100% accurate, if she's having you do tasks or whatever that she expects to be 100% accurate, tell her to do them herself if she doesn't like the way you do your work. You said she did an MBTI test, right? That means she's at least somewhat open to the idea of MBTI types (since most SJ's aren't.) Try explaining your MBTI type to her. Try explaining that you are an INTP and your Si isn't as developed as her Si. Because of that, you aren't so quick to catch all of those little details that she sees.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Okay. In my opinion, she appears to be an ISTJ.....with OCD. And it also seems that these OCD tendencies are causing you confusion.

However, if they don't have a direct effect on you or your well-being, I'd say just try to ignore these quirks. If she wants to take forever to make her bed, let her take forever to make her bed. If she hates creases, let her hate creases. Just try not to rest your hand on her bed so she doesn't get mad at you! :p

As far as expecting things to be 100% accurate, if she's having you do tasks or whatever that she expects to be 100% accurate, tell her to do them herself if she doesn't like the way you do your work. You said she did an MBTI test, right? That means she's at least somewhat open to the idea of MBTI types (since most SJ's aren't.) Try explaining your MBTI type to her. Try explaining that you are an INTP and your Si isn't as developed as her Si. Because of that, you aren't so quick to catch all of those little details that she sees.
Haha, alright. Thanks. :p

·
Registered
326 Posts
As far as expecting things to be 100% accurate, if she's having you do tasks or whatever that she expects to be 100% accurate, tell her to do them herself if she doesn't like the way you do your work.. .
That's what works best for me, I don't want anyone to feel bad if they at least put in the effort. So I'll usually do it myself and if they know me well enough they understand my quirks and methods so they don't take it personally (but can actually have fun with me a tease me about it :p) . But I never lash out at people that didn't know about my methods. Works great when people just let me be me and won't be upset if I prefer to do my quirky things myself if I'm insisting on it being done a certain way.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Well I am ISTJ and keep my place very neat and clean. But I can guarantee my bed has wrinkles.

Reactions: Arno
1 - 14 of 14 Posts