Personality Cafe banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I've not written for the fun of it for years now, so I'm really rusty in my writing. I've been wanting to write stories, and I have one in mind, but I just can't seem to write it as creatively as I want to, I feel like I'm writing like a middle-schooler, and I"m in college......... There were no openings in the creative writing class, so don't say I should take a creative writing class LOL, any suggestions though to improve my writing skill so I can get back to writing, techniques or exercises (also know I can't do organized outlines of a story, I've tried and that just results in me not writing at all because it's too structured).

I would share with you the teeny-tiny portion I already wrote, but I'm very protective of my work and don't want the ideas being stolen (considering the main character is a creature I developed myself, not like the creatures already in existence).

If you promise you wont steal my work, you can pm me to ask for the small portion I wrote.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Write spontaneously at first. Start with a situation you know will be in the story, and go from there. Anything that enters your mind should be written down, and if it needs to be removed you can do that after you're done and the editing faze is upon you. There's nothing worse than editing the ideas of your mind and deciding they don't fit before you even write them down. Basically, criticism can come later, focus on the writing part and don't think about it. You might even get poetry, journal/blog entries, or songs out of it. Anything creative must be born of creativity. Good luck. :)

·
Registered
3,123 Posts
I have/am dealing with a similar problem/s. I have heard of free writing as a means to practice writing. One book I read(can't remember which book it was) suggested to do the free writing every morning. Free writing is basically just writing for a period of time without any planing, structure, or any real thinking. Just writing anything that comes to mind and it doesn't need and most likely will not make sense. It is kind of like stretching your brain and creative side. Over time you should have an easier time accessing you creative side more.

That actually sounds like good advice. I should probably do that also.

As for your story I suggest write it despite it might not come out good on the first draft. The walk away for a bit. Do something else. Come back to it and read it. make little notes on what you want to change, spelling corrections, and/or adding in more content. Then you can walk away again or just go right into rewriting it(either from the top of your head or from the original. which ever you feel would be useful or preferred). That is what I am currently trying to get myself to do lol.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
While I was reading your suggestions, I was thinking that something would be useful, what do you all think?

I was thinking about that free writing thing @JoetheBull and thinking maybe writing a paragraph or two of a random story scenario, just a really fast story telling, the same way you would tell a story to someone in person. Is that similar to the free writing? Just random quick stories, a paragraph or two, like you're describing a dream.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Put yourself in the situation, if it is a dark story write at night, near the sea? Go to the sea! And never not have something to write with so you can do it whenever!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts