Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
733 Posts
Ignorance. You know, the kind where you point out the obvious and they still don't listen.

My example:

Back in the day when we still had those huge monitors, a friend of mind used to cover the top of her monitor with a towel so it wouldn't get dusty. I saw it one time and removed it. I told her that the monitor can overheat and even catch the towel on fire. She said her computer will be fine. I said the computer might be fine if the fire doesn't spread outside of her monitor.

She looks at me blankly.

She says "No. That's the computer"
Me: "No, that's the monitor. The computer is right here under your desk."
her: *pauses* "No, that's the computer" *pointing to the monitor*
Me: *Then what's that?!" *pointing to the tower under her desk*
Her: *stares blankly* "That's the computer *pointing at the monitor*
Me: *I"m the computer nerd, remember? Just got back from a NASA competition yesterday. I know what I'm talking about"
Her: *silence* " That's the computer" *pointing at the monitor*

:frustrating::frustrating::frustrating::frustrating:

I come back later and the towel is covering her monitor again. I had to tell her mom. It took a few minutes of the exact same bullshit but at least she listened after a while.

She was a gorgeous blonde which my friends always ask me why I never attempted anything with her. I give em stories like this to remind them.

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
When people talk down to me or just generally act in a condescending way...as though they think they're somehow superior. That's pretty much like marching up to me and saying, "Hey, Ajda [me], I really want to be punched in the face right now. Want to help me out?" ...GLADLY!

It's usually more of how people say things than what they say. That smug look...that superior attitude....That, my friends, is how you make me angry, because most other attempts to do so won't work. You might've done nothing wrong before, but once you act all condescendingly and get on my bad side, you're pretty much doomed.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Stupidity!

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
Usually anyone who comes on like "Hey buddy, how's it hanging! Hey sport! Yeah! Allllright! Hey now! Let's watch the GAME and get some BREWSKIS!!! Alllright! Hey!!! What about that Calvin Shrimptoe! FIVE HUNDRED YARDS!!!! ARRRGGGHHH!! HEHEHE!!!"

I must look at them like they are from another planet.

·
Registered
364 Posts
People who try to be too nice. Seriously you do not need to know how I am everyday!!! Or what I'm up to everyday!!! So get a grip.

And yeah same as the rest of us stupidity.

·
Registered
722 Posts
I think the number one thing is when people behave irrationally or display ignorance. If I view someone as being intelligent beforehand my opinion of then drastically changes right after the first time they do something like that.

I remember one of my friend's manager/friend and her husband lent him money and took him to go get used car from one of their friends. They stuck by him for everything and BEFORE giving him the money they asked him not to buy the tags and not to drive it until they paid him back. That's reasonable...he'd be able to pay them back faster if he wasn't spending it on gas and he'd have a larger incentive to pay them back. It would also be a way for them to make sure he was going to stick to his part of the deal and REGARDLESS of whether it was reasonable or not he still agreed to it. So they got him the car and what did he do next?! He got the tags and got it registered and was driving it around before he paid them back. So when they were complaining and getting on him about the money he was complaining like THEY were the ones being the assholes to him. I used to think he was really intelligent because he always was very knowledgeable when it came to certain things but that was the very first moment my opinion of him started to shift. He's made some shitty decisions since that time that were way worse but that was the beginning.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Meaningless smalltalk. Some people tend to think that a car ride or evening spent in silence is wasted. This is not so. Though I'd prefer a real intellectual discussion over silence, my own thoughts are probably more insightful than the latest gossip.

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
People who blurt out meaningless, random things. People who don't think before speaking. Asking self-solving questions. Asking me to do something then making me wait before I can do it. Straight inefficiency and wasting my time.

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
So what you're saying is that other ENTPs annoy you :crazy:
essentially, yeah. As the saying goes you are made up of the things you hate the most, :confused:

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
Stupidity annoys me. Non-logical thought.

I don't mind small talk, have a couple of strong sensor friends whose conversation consists entirely of stating the bleeding obvious, I just block it out and make encouraging noises.

People talking down to me...yeah, that annoys. Once again though I am learning to see it as their blindness and feel sorry for them. Also it's nice to just file it for that moment when you will be able to devastate them with a three-word demonstration of their crass stupidity which will present itself, soon enough.....

Adherence to status symbols and such....annoying but at the same time amusing. My colleagues are all competing to see who can waste the most money on the flashiest porsche at present. Why? Beats me. They are trading an opportunity for early retirement on a penis-waving contest.

·
Banned
3,849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
stupidity ... the kind that xrev quoted ... erm, my acting skill is not good enough to be able to fake that for weeks >.<
nevertheless it appears that i somehow have hit exactly the spot in this particular ENTP - his idealism - was an immediate turn off
eh i think next time i will try to just be plain direct, kinda feel sorry for this guy now :crying:

·
Registered
424 Posts
Maybe I'm weird but I love small-talk or any exchange of information. That's because while I am listening, I am deducing what type of person they are. All their interests, opinions, outlooks, viewpoints, intellect, potential, "goodness", "badness", and intention can all be accessed through their speech, tone, language use, and body language.

I thought ENTPs were extroverts, I'd love to engage in a car conversation, never silent, talking about anything that moves. Sex, drugs, money, bitches, politics, society, death, love, and [insert any word here].

The thing that really turns me off is insecurity, lies, and fear. I can see through everything like everyone is naked with clothes on, lol. Some people get defensive when they talk to me and it is usually the listed three bolded words and they immediately become "naked." That is when I shut off and shut up.

Of course I am not perfect, but when I do have those problems, I reflect and improve. Or is it I am turned off by stagnancy.

·
Registered
27 Posts
The things that don't annoy me would make a shorter list. However, here goes - I am turned off by:

People who can't write correctly (i.e. their vs they're, your vs you're).
Dumb people (note that I'm not talking about people with low IQ's; I'm talking about people who should know, but choose not to).
People who have beliefs only because that's what they've always believed, not because there's any foundation for them. One of my biggest pet peeves is when people say, "I don't care what the research says." How can you not care what the research says?!? It's RESEARCH!
People who assume I'm dumb (although it is somewhat amusing when I decimate them).
People who start an argument with me, take things personally and then cry and tell me I'm mean.
People who bitch about how much their life sucks but don't do anything to change it.
People who have no insight what-so-ever.
People who think that what you own makes up who you are.
People who judge others based on physical characteristics that person has no control over.
People who judge ANYTHING when they don't know enough about it to judge.
People who do drugs.
People with no sense of humor.
Closed-mindedness.
People who act other than what they really are.
Lying.

·
Registered
27 Posts
The things that don't annoy me would make a shorter list. However, here goes - I am turned off by:

People who can't write correctly (i.e. their vs they're, your vs you're).
Dumb people (note that I'm not talking about people with low IQ's; I'm talking about people who should know, but choose not to).
People who have beliefs only because that's what they've always believed, not because there's any foundation for them. One of my biggest pet peeves is when people say, "I don't care what the research says." How can you not care what the research says?!? It's RESEARCH!
People who assume I'm dumb (although it is somewhat amusing when I decimate them).
People who start an argument with me, take things personally and then cry and tell me I'm mean.
People who bitch about how much their life sucks but don't do anything to change it.
People who have no insight what-so-ever.
People who think that what you own makes up who you are.
People who judge others based on physical characteristics that person has no control over.
People who judge ANYTHING when they don't know enough about it to judge.
People who do drugs.
People with no sense of humor.
Closed-mindedness.
People who act other than what they really are.
Lying.

Reactions: vel and possiBri

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
I can't believe I forgot this, my biggest turn off is moral indignation.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts