1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Nerf Herder
7,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
TV is old news. My attention span is so horrible these days that I can't even watch youtube videos that are more than 5 mins long.

·
Registered
617 Posts
I don't watch many films. I much prefer a good TV series, or at least a film series. How am I supposed to learn about a character in an hour and a half?

Reactions: SirDave

·
Banned
14,801 Posts
I watched tv for a little while a few days ago, like an actual network with commercials, and I couldn't help but notice that it basically enforces a false reality, where women smile at their dishes and everything is just like one big acid trip. Television is a drug, it's a distraction, a hypnotic. It's very easy to believe in this false la la land, because it means ignoring the real world. You could say that about the internet or movies, but not to the same extent, because it creates a reality so simplistic and so overly positive that it's no wonder the average American is basically a crazed idiot who believes that Merka is fantastic, guns are of utmost necessity, and that gasoline is more important than the earth itself. I get that cozy feeling watching commercials or seeing products from my childhood, it's a technique called positive association where one begins to associate the products or shows with deeper human needs like love, belonging, success, etc. European people want to know what's wrong with American people, what's in our water. It's just tv.

Movies are better because they have a clear beginning and ending, are possible to watch without commercials and not always but often deal with more complex human issues.

·
Nerf Herder
7,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I watched tv for a little while a few days ago, like an actual network with commercials, and I couldn't help but notice that it basically enforces a false reality, where women smile at their dishes and everything is just like one big acid trip. Television is a drug, it's a distraction, a hypnotic. It's very easy to believe in this false la la land, because it means ignoring the real world. You could say that about the internet or movies, but not to the same extent, because it creates a reality so simplistic and so overly positive that it's no wonder the average American is basically a crazed idiot who believes that Merka is fantastic, guns are of utmost necessity, and that gasoline is more important than the earth itself. I get that cozy feeling watching commercials or seeing products from my childhood, it's a technique called positive association where one begins to associate the products or shows with deeper human needs like love, belonging, success, etc. European people want to know what's wrong with American people, what's in our water. It's just tv.

Movies are better because they have a clear beginning and ending, are possible to watch without commercials and not always but often deal with more complex human issues.
Shows* are better than movies (should be clearer on the intent of the article now...think we can all agree that the television medium sucks ass, commercials are for simpletons:tongue:)

I agree with everything you've said about tv, and that's why I no longer watch it myself. The commercials are just so mind numbingly stupid it's irritating, not to mention just constantly interrupting that which I was trying to immerse myself in. The point, however, is that shows are still getting to become better quality (both production and writing) than movies. Just don't watch them on cable...can netflix most, pirate the others :laughing:

·
Banned
14,801 Posts
Shows* are better than movies (should be clearer on the intent of the article now...think we can all agree that the television medium sucks ass, commercials are for simpletons:tongue:)

I agree with everything you've said about tv, and that's why I no longer watch it myself. The commercials are just so mind numbingly stupid it's irritating, not to mention just constantly interrupting that which I was trying to immerse myself in. The point, however, is that shows are still getting to become better quality (both production and writing) than movies. Just don't watch them on cable...can netflix most, pirate the others :laughing:
Ok cool I understand that, there are high quality shows. Series on cable mostly, but even some network shows..I own a Twin Peak gold edition box set, and like to watch National Geographic and those kinds of shows individually.

But apparently watching too much tv actually makes you less of a critical thinker, it can cause some brain thinning in children leading to lower verbal intelligence, and in adults has a kind of use it or lose it effect, because it hypnotizes you mildly and thinks for you, unlike reading or writing or doing just about any other activities. I have heard you burn more calories staring at a blank wall, and if you mainly watch things like sitcoms or materials that are not especially challenging or educational, then all .the worse. And commercials can actually brain wash you. Like anything, it probably isn't going to do irreparable damage in moderation, but I'm honestly afraid to watch TV most of the time. Ever since my late teens or early twenties I've watched it sporadically, and I am more conscious of it now than I haven ever been, because I have become increasingly aware of various things as the years go on.

·
Registered
5,225 Posts
I watch neither shows nor movies - both tend to be incredibly boring or become so, eventually. :mellow:

Though, I did enjoy House, the Office and TBBT - haven't picked up anything else ever since, though and stopped watching TBBT several seasons ago.

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
It's probably true that TV shows are getting better than movies in many ways, but with the quality of movies nowadays that's hardly impressive, and commercials are still awful. Sometimes I catch a rerun of South Park of Married With Children when I'm eating, because fart jokes and slapstick sexism will always be funny to me. I can't be bothered to get emotionally invested in a series though... I don't even have Netflix and I watch maybe an hour of TV a week at most.

·
Registered
617 Posts
DVRs for commercial skipping of course. Hollywood movies are far more geared toward brainwashing if you ask me. I don't feel indoctrinated or lesser for watching something like Breaking Bad or Game of Thrones.

·
Registered
6,186 Posts
True

·
Nerf Herder
7,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

·
Registered
495 Posts
TV is way better than movies. I'm a plot-lover. I won't watch a series with a good plot, even if the cast is amazing and the characters are really well build-up. In movies, everything has to be resolved in two hours. In series, it can take a lot of time, like, 10-20 hours until the plot has to end. This adds time for sub-plots and suspense. And plus, it gets me addicted to watch something every night.

·
The No More Hero
18,285 Posts
TV is way better than movies. I'm a plot-lover. I won't watch a series with a good plot, even if the cast is amazing and the characters are really well build-up. In movies, everything has to be resolved in two hours. In series, it can take a lot of time, like, 10-20 hours until the plot has to end. This adds time for sub-plots and suspense. And plus, it gets me addicted to watch something every night.
Then they get dragged themselves for 10 seasons without knowing when to end. Aaaaaaah... If only everything was Battlestar Galatica.

·
Spam-I-am
14,041 Posts

this is the reason i gave up t.v , cancelled cable 18 months ago with no regrets
i have netflix which is all i need
i just abhor t.v. advertisements they are very insulting to ones intellect
i have this sick phantasy where ''jan'' from the toyota commercials gets hit by a speeding freight train
and flo from progressive get's mauled by a rabid lion
the advertisers try to fool you into believing once you purchase their product you will live a utopian life
no other product will fulfill you except theirs even though there are numerous other services/products like theirs
my stress factor dropped once i quit the boob tube, second best decision i ever made
1st was giving up the dating scene

1 - 20 of 24 Posts