Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm especially thinking about shows for and about people in their late teens and early twenties. When I was younger I really didn't relate to most people on TV because I felt like popular shows like Lost and The Office were about Gen Xers. Two of my FAVORITE Gen Y shows are Misfits and Skins (UK). Even though the characters were young and stupid and I couldn't relate to all of them, I actually really liked most of them and got a feeling for them. I could probably think of a few more if I tried, but those were the ones that really stood out when I watched them.

List your favorite Gen Y shows! And hell, throw in movies while you're at it if you want. :)

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Vampire Diaries
Smallville
One tree hill

Are we talking current or past shows?

past shows
Full House
buffy
saved by the bell

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I felt like Saved By the Bell and Buffy were very much Gen X shows and didn't really like them for that reason. :p Well, maybe not the latter as much, but the people I know who watched Buffy when they were the same age as the characters are now all in their mid-thirties or early forties.

·
Registered
28 Posts
The Adventures of Pete and Pete.
the why (y) episode.
explains everything.

·
Registered
256 Posts
My friends say that The New Girl is to Gen Y what Friends was to Gen X. Personally, I don't watch a lot of television, especially not things directed at teenagers. My favourite show so far is The Wire. I think the issues covered, e.g. the drug trade, decline of the stevedores, references to 9/11, etc. are very pertinent to Gen Y (i.e. it could be of interest to anyone who takes an active issue in sociopolitical and economic issues). As has been said of the show, it's a very Dickensian, modern "Victorian" novel for the small screen.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Daria probably appealed to the older of your generation when it aired when they were teenagers.

·
Registered
784 Posts
Malcolm in the Middle? I was almost the same age that Malcolm was supposed to be when it came out. Though I doubt the show was actually designed for kids my age.... However, I can relate to it easily.

·
Banned
14,801 Posts
I really like Brickleberry. To me it seems like a younger or at least less married Family Guy.

It's an adult cartoon about some inept and or hostile park rangers, and one small bear with an attitude (he's sort of like Bryan the dog, thus the Family Guy comparison, would appeal to similar sense of humor).

If these shows you are naming are by Gen Y for Gen Y they probably should not be old shows from our childhoods...

·
Banned
302 Posts
I felt like Saved By the Bell and Buffy were very much Gen X shows and didn't really like them for that reason. :p Well, maybe not the latter as much, but the people I know who watched Buffy when they were the same age as the characters are now all in their mid-thirties or early forties.
I'm not sure if Buffy is a Gen X show, it seems to be both a Gen X show and a Gen Y show in my opinion. I do indeed agree that Saved By the Bell is a lot more of a Gen X show.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
I remember Chappelle's Show was quoted everyday at my school when that show was its height about 10 years ago.

"I'm Rick James, bitch!"

·
Registered
8,949 Posts
Um, why is there no Fresh Prince of Bel Air listed here? And where is the iconic Boy Meets World?! :shocked:

Also, the Bill Cosby Show crosses all generations. :)

·
Registered
332 Posts
I would say Sabrina, The Teenage Witch was the first major Gen Y show. Sabrina was in high school in the mid-to-late 90s, which would put her birth on the cusp of X and Y. However, the show is mostly lighthearted and Sabrina acts more like a Gen Y girl than a Gen X girl.

·
Over 300 Confirmed Kills
10,577 Posts
all my shows were really Gen X shows.

l mean even Daria is very Gen X in essence, but it came out when l was 13.

l guess if Gen Y shows were supposed to be more like TGIF, l wasn't into that, felt like it should have been for small children but l did have friends in middle school who watched it.

Mostly because their parents made them.

·
Registered
34 Posts
The fresh prince of Bel Air
The Nanny
Malcom in the middle
X Files
Daria

... these are the only ones i would rewatch today because they were AWESOME.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts