Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are some shows or movies that caused some form of trauma to you as child-like nightmares or even phobias to this day?

The first one is an old movie I saw when I was really little called "Maximum Overdrive" and it's about semi's and other electronics or automobiles coming to life and killing people. It has made me afraid to be around cars or trucks, especially semi's and I have an anxiety attack if I have to reach under the car for something. 6303066_sa.jpg

The 2nd one is a show called "Lost Tapes" and it's about various cryptids and uncofirmed creatures like bigfoot but it is really scary.

the one about vampires gave me nightmares and I grew up having regular night terrors and really bad vivid dreams so this show really didn't help me much in the sleeping department.

·
Registered
4,041 Posts
When I was much younger, perhaps in 7th grade, I watched an episode of either The Six Million Dollar Man or The Bionic Woman (I can't remember which) in which the episode's supporting character was a man who could control to some extent his autonomic systems, such as how fast his heart beat. They showed a stock clip of someone having thoracic surgery showing a human beating heart. It was probably the pinnacle moment when I realized my mortality. It became real.

Ever since then I find it extremely difficult to fall asleep if I hear my heart beating (especially lying on my left ear).

Reactions: SeptimiusMaximinus

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
When I was much younger, perhaps in 7th grade, I watched an episode of either The Six Million Dollar Man or The Bionic Woman (I can't remember which) in which the episode's supporting character was a man who could control to some extent his autonomic systems, such as how fast his heart beat. They showed a stock clip of someone having thoracic surgery showing a human beating heart. It was probably the pinnacle moment when I realized my mortality. It became real.

Ever since then I find it extremely difficult to fall asleep if I hear my heart beating (especially lying on my left ear).

When I was little, when I would go to sleep listening to my heartbeat I would have a nightmare

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
In 1963, I was 4 years old when this was aired on TV. I wasn't traumatized but I never forgot the experience of being afraid to leave the kitchen and venture into the living room to peek one more time at those hideous faces. Apparently, even adults were impacted by just how intimidating the faces on the creatures were...

The Outer Limits episode called, "The Zanti Misfits".

·
Registered
692 Posts
Only a TV spot made me feeling uneasy as a child and marked me until now, just re visioning it make me feel uneasy

Didn't helped that when talking about it, no one in my family saw it, and they never did, so I was looking like I was making stuff up lol

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Only a TV spot made me feeling uneasy as a child and marked me until now, just re visioning it make me feel uneasy

Didn't helped that when talking about it, no one in my family saw it, and they never did, so I was looking like I was making stuff up lol
I don't usually get freaked out by old stuff but this one had me creeped out a bit.

·
Premium Member
15,241 Posts
The Exorcist when Linda Blair walks down the stairs backwards on all fours. Strangeness to the Max. Oh yeah, I think she stands there and pees on the floor. All her devil stuff, threw me for a loop.

·
Registered
INFP 5w6
1,309 Posts
When i was 6-8 years old this scene from 'The Witches' gave me nightmares. I could not understand for the life of me why they wanted to eliminate kids from the world so insistently and being one myself at the time i was shaken. Their grotesque features especially of the queen witch etched into my mind for some months. She was the epitome for all that was ugly and actually became that definition to me.

the second time i was 12-13 years old and this scene from 'The Road' left me so depressed and shocked for weeks. Its an apocalyptic setting where humans have resulted to cannibalism to survive. This father and son are on a continuous struggle for refuge. The lack of humanity in this clip is what got to me and the fact a father has to even consider to kill his own child out of the fear and desperation for something worse happening was heart wrenching. At this stage in the film i was 100% that kid.

·
Registered
116 Posts
pan's labyrinth, saw, and hostel, lol

now, you see, my cousins who are 3 - 4 years older than me thought it would be quite a good idea to have me watch saw and hostel when i was, like, 7? it's not a children's film, clearly, and shit obviously messed with my head. that hostel scene where the woman's eyeballs just pop and dangle in her face? i have been terrified of tricycles and examination chairs for a long, long time. and on halloween we'd have these edible gummy eyeballs at home and i would start crying.

and pan's labyrinth. i was 9, perhaps, when i watched that movie. this entire depressing aura that movie just gives off and that psychopathic step-father, and that fairy-eating freak gave me the rest.

i was definitely not a normal child, can you tell

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
pan's labyrinth, saw, and hostel, lol

now, you see, my cousins who are 3 - 4 years older than me thought it would be quite a good idea to have me watch saw and hostel when i was, like, 7? it's not a children's film, clearly, and shit obviously messed with my head. that hostel scene where the woman's eyeballs just pop and dangle in her face? i have been terrified of tricycles and examination chairs for a long, long time. and on halloween we'd have these edible gummy eyeballs at home and i would start crying.

and pan's labyrinth. i was 9, perhaps, when i watched that movie. this entire depressing aura that movie just gives off and that psychopathic step-father, and that fairy-eating freak gave me the rest.

i was definitely not a normal child, can you tell
Hostel didn't really scar me for life, surprisingly but it did scare the hell out of me

·
Registered
My vehicle is INFP, 9w8. Vroom vroom!!
1,626 Posts
The 2nd one is a show called "Lost Tapes" and it's about various cryptids and uncofirmed creatures like bigfoot but it is really scary.
Lost Tapes scared me! The worst episodes were the ones about chupacabras and skinwalkers. I never want to hike in a desert... I also watched a show called Wild West Tech, and there was a supernatural episode with the wendigo in it. It creeped me out.

There were many others, and even the innocent shows could hide something sinister. I liked the movie "Twitches", a Disney Channel original with Tia and Tamara Mowry. They were teenagers who discovered that they were twins, witches, had a benevolent witch mother in another dimension, and they were the only ones who could stop "the darkness" from destroying everything.
The_Darkness_attack_Ileana_DuBaer.jpg
Anyway, I was scared of the darkness coming to get me in every shadow of my house! (The actual scary part of the movie is that they figured all this stuff out in like two days. Movie magic indeed.)

I don't deserve to have my username after all this!:laughing:

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Lost Tapes scared me! The worst episodes were the ones about chupacabras and skinwalkers. I never want to hike in a desert... I also watched a show called Wild West Tech, and there was a supernatural episode with the wendigo in it. It creeped me out.
The vampire epsidoes scared me the most, actually they all scared me but I couldn't stop watching them.

Wild west tech was such an amazing show but I don't remember the episode about the wendigo. good thing I guess lol

·
Registered
5,448 Posts
It's not quite the same, but when I was in the Navy I was involved in a crash on the flight deck of U.S.S. Lexington.

To this day I have a visceral reaction to such scenes in films, for instance when I watched Hunt for Red October afterwards my heart would beat like a drum, I'd get tension nausea etc. It has faded somewhat over the years but it's still an issue from time to time.

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
The trees from The Wizard of Oz that threatened people. I had reoccurring nightmares when I was around 5 yo that a few of them would chase me. I'd hide in the closet and have to hold the door closed while they tried to get in. Those trees sucked!

·
Premium Member
15,241 Posts
The Exorcist when Linda Blair walks down the stairs backwards on all fours. Strangeness to the Max. Oh yeah, I think she stands there and pees on the floor. All her devil stuff, threw me for a loop.
I just thought of more: The Outer Limits and Twilight Zone creeped me out. The bathtub scene in Jacob's Ladder. I am unable to watch The Mothman Prophecies without getting triggered something awful.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts