Personality Cafe banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I discovered TV Tropes a while back and am curious to know what others think of it. I've seen a lot of forums where people are like "TV Tropes is such a waste of time!! MER MER MER!" and then some people are like "OMG TV TROPES IS SO AWESOME". I guess I'm just curious to see what people on this site think.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I go to the site every once in a while. I like to check out the tropes for animes/books that I like. (Just used 'like' twice in a sentence -.-) That site can be pretty funny, as well.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I go to the site every once in a while. I like to check out the tropes for animes/books that I like. (Just used 'like' twice in a sentence -.-) That site can be pretty funny, as well.

My computer messed up so I don't know if I posted this last time. Re-posting just in case.

·
Registered
18,510 Posts
I don't like how TV tropes has no standard to avoid value judgements :( I remember I got very upset when I read that some writer had written that the English versions of Final Fantasy were much better for the sole reason that they were! Especially the section where Tidus would somehow be a better name than Tida was just so stupid to me. It reeked of gender essentialism and sexism.

I also remember that the article pertaining Aizen's character was just completely off and was built on a lot of false premises that weren't necessarily true.

No, TV Tropes can be fun but Wikipedia > TV Tropes. Urban Dictionary on the other hand...

·
Registered
2,982 Posts
Urban Dictionary on the other hand...
I get some good laughs reading things in Urban Dictionary. Have you ever tried to look up your name? Hilarious I tell ya.

·
Banned
395 Posts
I try to only use it when I've completely finished a series, so I avoid spoilers. Sometimes to find new ones, too.
Anyway, it helps me with analyzing the story, pointing out missed things and seeing inconsistencies, which is kind of fun to me.

·
Registered
249 Posts
There are many great movies, shows, and books that I never would have even known about they weren't referenced in TV Tropes. Great site. Probably my favorite.

·
Registered
222 Posts
I discovered TV Tropes a while back and am curious to know what others think of it. I've seen a lot of forums where people are like "TV Tropes is such a waste of time!! MER MER MER!" and then some people are like "OMG TV TROPES IS SO AWESOME". I guess I'm just curious to see what people on this site think.
I think it's great. :happy: I find some of the articles really funny, like the self-demonstrating ones for example. Yea, they're not describing real life, but they clarify fiction life, and what those writers were thinking when they wrote something that wasn't conveyed well in the story. :cool: Just try not to tab browse on that site too much, and watch the clock, as one can easily lose track of how many TV Tropes tabs are opened and how many hours have been spent on there. (My record was 7 hours and 45 minutes. :blushed:)

·
Registered
2,684 Posts
TV Tropes is great! It helps me find terrible movies that make my friends question my sanity and who doesn't love that?

·
Registered
598 Posts
Tv... Tropes!!!!

AHHHH!!!!!!!! Don't remind me, the place is a trap! I'll be there for hours!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts