Personality Cafe banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6,993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Two types of INFP’s

1) Have grown to become always aware and alert about their social influence on others and the environment. Thus they are more outwardly expressive about their eccentric and unique tendencies traits. They often inspire others on a deeper and more inward level whether they are consciously or unconsciously doing it. Their unique vision, creativity and idealism have been channeled to contribute to progress for others or structures the way they see fit, and seeing such progress help them grow in their private intensity. They base their goals on achieving desired enjoyment, pleasure and a balanced kind of contentment with other people, even though they have certain reserved tendencies at the same time.

2) Prefer to remain in the social background even when given the chance to step forth under the light. Their ideal and expressive worlds tend to manifest most intensely in private. They still inspire others, but more often desire to cultivate catalyst changes on a solely inner, private level. Their minds put constant emphasis on personal meaning and significance that must be precious to themselves on their terms and have a degree of independence from realist control. They base their goals on being more motivated to replace the previous pains or a sense of loss in personal creative meaning in their lives. They often carefully find authenticity in the little things that they do and they often surprise people when their uniqueness comes to surface, because it is often fierce with its depth no matter how symbolically dark or bright it is.

Which category do you think you fall into? 1) or 2) or both?

Where did I get this from? Nowhere. Sneaky smart ass observant me decided to write it all by myself :crazy:

·
Banned
3,624 Posts
Two types of INFP’s

1) Have grown to become always aware and alert about their social influence on others and the environment. Thus they are more outwardly expressive about their eccentric and unique tendencies traits. They often inspire others on a deeper and more inward level whether they are consciously or unconsciously doing it. Their unique vision, creativity and idealism have been channeled to contribute to progress for others or structures the way they see fit, and seeing such progress help them grow in their private intensity. They base their goals on achieving desired enjoyment, pleasure and a balanced kind of contentment with other people, even though they have certain reserved tendencies at the same time.
2) Prefer to remain in the social background even when given the chance to step forth under the light. Their ideal and expressive worlds tend to manifest most intensely in private. They still inspire others, but more often desire to cultivate catalyst changes on a solely inner, private level. Their minds put constant emphasis on personal meaning and significance that must be precious to themselves on their terms and have a degree of independence from realist control. They base their goals on being more motivated to replace the previous pains or a sense of loss in personal creative meaning in their lives. They often carefully find authenticity in the little things that they do and they often surprise people when their uniqueness comes to surface, because it is often fierce with its depth no matter how symbolically dark or bright it is.

Only a little from each. I'm not really overtly inspiring or deep to tell the truth. The only time I think deeply is when I lay in the bath, drifting in and out of consciousness :p

I was actually thinking of compiling a set of categories of different flavours of infps'. But I like how you've approached this Izzie, I would never have thought of it in this way.

·
Registered
43 Posts
More of #1 if I have to choose, but I feel things can be so different from day to day. Moods play a bigger role for me. One day I can be this crazy eccentric dude, saying random things and just plain off in lala land. Then, the next I want to have nothing to do with anyone, and just stay reserved with myself. Somedays I'm thinking how beautiful place the world is, and he next I'm junking how unfair it can be. Today is a crazy say anything, observe everything day. IT'S FRIDAY!! The End.

·
Banned
1,987 Posts
Definitely more #1 than #2 here. I have met a #2 INFP (albeit an a rather unhealthy one) and that kind of makes sense.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I guess I am a bit more #1, too.
I agree with PhotoBrew, though; I think moods play an important role on this...while I do want to truly inspire people, create high ideals, bring peace and harmony to the environment I am in, sometimes I bask for so long in my reserved world that I feel I can't develop a full awareness about to what degree my influence reaches others, and I end up not thinking a lot about it as well.

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
I think that when I am in a place that doesn't have expectations of me, primarily outside of work (either job) I most definitely relate more to the second description. No offense to everyone here, but even posting on this forum I am reserved and censoring myself, often without realizing I am doing so.

However, when I am out and about in public or at work then I will try to do my absolute darndest to inspire and encourage everyone I come in contact with. I am saddened every time they are genuinely grateful, but confused at an act of kindness... but at least I know they received that gift once that day. Who knows, maybe they are inspired to do something similar. Kind of like Pay it Forward. :)

I like the descriptions, Izzie. Very thoughtful, though it does make me wonder what the unhealthy examples of them would be.

·
Registered
6,993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I think unhealthy versions would be

For 1) feeling the persistent need to take control of everything simply as a form of escapism or hiding their depth to avoid pain.

2) Withdrawing for reasons that relate mostly to fear, instead of just for the sake of feeling introverted.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I think a lot of infps experience both, as in being first a 2 and later growing more comfortable with one's self, thereby becoming a 1.

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
I think unhealthy versions would be

For 1) feeling the persistent need to take control of everything simply as a form of escapism or hiding their depth to avoid pain.

2) Withdrawing for reasons that relate mostly to fear, instead of just for the sake of feeling introverted.
Based on that, then yup, I'm a 2. Control is only my game if things aren't getting done and even then I get annoyed and flustered at the people who let it go that far. -.-

Hiding from the world on the other hand... yeah, that I can completely relate to.

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
I think 2 was modeled a lot after me, conceptually. And probably Lad.

·
Cafe Legend and MOTM Jan 2011
15,420 Posts
Two types of INFP’s

Where did I get this from? Nowhere. Sneaky smart ass observant me decided to write it all by myself :crazy:
I'm something else, or perhaps a combination. I am as open and authentic as possible, but dislike attention, despite being expressively eccentric. I prefer being in the background while wearing my hat with the mouse ears and my purple velvet cloak, and want to be able to talk about the strange things I care about without it causing any outrage or conflict. I want to help others delve deeply into themselves, to feel their feelings, to be aware, and to grow, but I do this one-on-one. I definitely value personal meaning that defies realist control, not so much for the sake of being rebellious, but because I want to crush anything that is opposed to my positive forms of authenticity. I have to be personally involved, and I tend to carefully weave symbols and meanings into everything I do, no matter how trivial or mundane. These are often visible to others, but their visibility is incidental. My flamboyance is an irritating side-effect of my openness. I tend to be easily overwhelmed by attention. Social comfort and privacy are things I willingly sacrifice for the greater cause.

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
I'm #2 & I smell like it too! But seriously, I did go through a phase where I was more #1, years ago when I was surrounded by people like me at a tiny liberal arts college. We had our little circle of "seekers", artists & philosphers & I've never talked so much in my life. I miss that sometimes.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts