Personality Cafe banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I met a girl at school who is introverted like (even perhaps a fellow ISFJ). However she's more introverted than me and I'm not sure how to work with that. Here's pretty much where we're at so far.

Tuesday: I sit next to her and introduce myself. We get to chatting and talk for 45 minutes before she leaves for class. While we're chatting my friends come by and chat but don't stay. At the end of the chat the girl tells me she enjoyed talking with me.

Wednesday: I go to where we met previously, she's standing around about to head to her class (I assume). I make small talk, ask for her number and she gives it to me. Then she sits down and we start talking for another 45 minutes. One of my friends comes and sits next to us and when that happens. The girl quietly gets up and says in disappointed sounding voice "I gotta go to class."

Thursday: I text her a little bit and then we end up talking on the phone for 3 hours straight. I ask her a couple of times if she needs to go and work on her paper but she says no she doesn't. Then she tells me in a sad voice that she has to leave for work.

Friday: Now I'm not really sure where to go. Part of me thinks that I'll need to do most of the intiating since she's much more introverted than me. However, I don't wanna come off as clingy or needy or anything negative. Part of me thinks I should just let her reach out to me today and if she doesn't then I'll reach out tomorrow. What do y'all think?

·
Registered
897 Posts
I think that'll be a good thing to do. You're both introverts so even if she doesn't reach out, a little break might be good. You don't need to be in contact every single day.

Although if she does reach out, that'll be nice too. :)

·
Registered
3,734 Posts
Patience. Give it time. Possibly a long time.
In my school days (I changed schools every 2-3 years) it would take me a whole year to make a friend, and a couple of years to make various friends. In university, I went in and out of it without a single friends. That's how hardcore introverted I am.
Invest time and energy into it, and stay calm, patient and focused on your studies and other friends. You'll get to her eventually if you stay consistent.

I don't wanna come off as clingy or needy or anything negative. Part of me thinks I should just let her reach out to me today and if she doesn't then I'll reach out tomorrow. What do y'all think?
Nah. If she perceived you as annoying, she wouldn't stay on th ephone for 3 hours and say "no I don't need to go, I'm good".

I think that you should do whatever you want, and not be scared of appearing clingy. This word is thrown around a lot and imo it's overused.
And if at some point you get exhausted from chasing her, take a break. Know that this takes time and consistency and patience.

·
Registered
779 Posts
This soulds like alot of talking for introverts to me. But dont overthink it. If you want to talk to her talk to her.

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
Do what you deem to be right. Don't alter your behavior just to adjust the perception to fit in a particular way.

It doesn't help in the long run, because you will be constructing an outlook that doesn't match with your true self.

Their is a huge distinction between being genuinely interested and motivated to pursue someone and coming off as clingy and needy.
Emotionally immature clingy and needy behavior is more commonly associated with people who look for companionship to fulfill themselves selfishly. To satisfy their own desires utilizing others with no intention of doing the same or caring about the existence of the other person in a sufficiently equal manner.

I would caution though since you bring up the whole introvert thing. It would be helpful further down the line if you guys collectively came up with a method of communication that allowed both to take initiative alternatively.

Otherwise it is quite likely that due to habit and ease that the responsibility will solely rest at the feet of one of you.

Reactions: angelfish

·
Registered
ISFJ
5,197 Posts
Friday: Now I'm not really sure where to go. Part of me thinks that I'll need to do most of the intiating since she's much more introverted than me. However, I don't wanna come off as clingy or needy or anything negative. Part of me thinks I should just let her reach out to me today and if she doesn't then I'll reach out tomorrow. What do y'all think?
so you two haven't hung out outside of school? a little late since it's sunday today, but since it'd be the weekend i'd suggest asking her to hang out and do something to keep the momentum going if you want things to progress. i wouldn't worry about coming off as clingy. nothing wrong with showing interest. i've found clingy and needy only to be a problem when you don't want to see them anymore and you don't take their calls and they keep calling. in your case, this doesn't seem to apply.

·
Registered
5,248 Posts
@entheos and @Crimson Ash made great points, totally agree.

You could consider reaching out tomorrow to plan something with her for next week. That lets her know you're interested but takes the pressure off needing to be in constant contact. For me, as an introvert, I love that.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
@Crimson Ash I definitely agree that at some point we'll need to hash out some sorta communication back-and-forth.
@angelfish and @MsBrightside School is finishing up for the semester week after next. I've brought up the idea of spending time together over the break and she seemed pretty interested in that prospect. If finals weren't next week I would've suggested an earlier time but knowing how she's big on studying I figured I'd better play it safe and just wait. :exterminate:

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
From what you have posted, it sounds like she is interested in you. Having feelings for someone is not being needy or clingy, it is being human. I think the idea of doing something good outside of school is a good one. And as I writer this, I am reading your post above and it seems you have done that. Good for you. It can be a mistake to wait too long before you make a move as well. Relationships are always a risk, but a healthy risk. In the past, some of my biggest regrets were not asking people out I was interested in.

Reactions: angelfish

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Figured I'd give y'all a little update on what's going on. We've established a sorta back and forth initiating wise. We also have discussed our mutual feelings for each other and have decided to just take our time and get to know each other. We also are gonna spend some time together this coming Tuesday.

·
Registered
980 Posts
Figured I'd give y'all a little update on what's going on. We've established a sorta back and forth initiating wise. We also have discussed our mutual feelings for each other and have decided to just take our time and get to know each other. We also are gonna spend some time together this coming Tuesday.
sort of like this videos then

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Tuesday turned out to be a lot of fun. We spent 6 hours together just enjoying each others company.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts