Personality Cafe banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I seem to be a barometer for hidden things. Looking into your face, if you’re offering me 63% of yourself I will feel every one of the 37 percentage points you’re holding back. I won’t know why a third of you isn’t showing up. I won’t know whether it’s something I’ve done or whether you are always only two-thirds present in the world. I’ll only know I don’t get all of you, only a part. And I won’t like it. I want to be around people who show up in the 90th percentile. Discovering them is one of my favourite things in the world. When someone is wearing themselves comfortably I can feel myself relaxing the perimeter walls I use to rein myself in. I figure, if your feet are firmly planted I won’t unintentionally push you over. I figure, a person who’s confident I can hold all of them will at least try to hold all of me.

After forty years of full body scanning I’ve come to expect mostly hidden people, not open ones. On my bad days, I blame myself. I assume that it’s me you’re hiding from, and I’m frustrated with you for not giving me a chance. On my good days it’s like I can sense the long, complicated stories under your skin, the unnamed hurts and wars you’ve fought that taught you to hide in the first place. I give you room. But, not for long. If you stay long enough, if you let me, I have a compulsion to press into the dark, a knack for unearthing the buried things. There’s never been a dug-up truth that I can’t hold, without fear, without disgust, without blame. I think that’s because I know, have always known, that while I’ve also tried to bury many many things over the years, every ugly thing brought to light loses its power, opens us up to the air and sun.

What's your superpower?

·
Registered
ENTJ 8w9
1,748 Posts
I’ll only know I don’t get all of you, only a part. And I won’t like it. I want to be around people who show up in the 90th percentile. Discovering them is one of my favourite things in the world. When someone is wearing themselves comfortably I can feel myself relaxing the perimeter walls I use to rein myself in. I figure, if your feet are firmly planted I won’t unintentionally push you over. I figure, a person who’s confident I can hold all of them will at least try to hold all of me.

What's your superpower?
Why would you assume it's intentional? If I don't show someone part of myself, it's not because I'm consciously and deliberately hiding it, but because I'm not placed in a context where that part would show up. I went to visit a friend of mine a while ago with my BFF/niece and he was surprised how protective I was of her and that in all the years he's known me (19 years) he never saw me like this... Well, it's not because I was hiding it, it's just that all 3 of us were never before in the same room.

My superpower... I don't have any superpower. I'm good at a number of things, but I wouldn't say I'm exceptional at anything. I'm as average as average can be :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts