Personality Cafe banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Type One - The Perfectionist

Ones are motivated by the need to improve themselves and to live the right way. While Ones are usually fastidious, some are more concerned with political, religious, or ethical principles than they are with physical neatness.

Eights, Nines, and Ones constitute the gut center and have issues that revolve around self-forgetting and anger. Ones follow the rules. they come to feel angry about their own self-imposed restrictions and the fact that others seem free to do as they please.

Ones at their BEST are:

• Ethical
  • Idealistic
  • Productive
  • Reliable
  • Fair
  • Honest
  • Self-disciplined
  • Conscientious
  • Helpful
  • Objective
  • Caring
  • Compassionate
  • Witty
  • Practical
  • Responsible
  • Supportive
  • Honest
  • Reliable

Ones at their WORST are:

• Judgmental
  • Inflexible
  • Controlling
  • Worrying
  • Argumentative
  • Nit-picking
  • Uncompromising
  • Stubborn
  • Overly serious
  • Critical of others

What a One would say about himself:

"I demonstrate my love through effort and hard work. I like to have everything orderly and in its place. Completing a task give me great pleasure. I frequently do more than my fair share. People who are sloppy about their work irritate me. I don't like being jedgmental, but it is hard not to be. I focus on things that are wrong or out of order and how to fix them. I tend to be serious and worry a lot. I am very converned with financial security. You can always rely on me. I am so used to struggling to better myself that I tend to discount whatever comes easily to me. In order to avoid criticism from myself and others, I try to do everything correctly. When others don't meet my expectations or do their part, I feel disappointed or offended. I try hard not to let my jealous or angry feelings show when I have them. I feel strongly about my principles and beliefs. I carefully plan my day to be sure I get everything done. It is difficult for me to forgive when I have been wronged. I am reasonable, practical, and down-to-earth. I continually look for ways to be a better person. I am less likely to feel critical when I see that people are trying to reform."

Wings
Ones with a strong Nine wing (1w9) tend to be easygoing, objective, moderate, impersonal, and stubborn. They are usually relatively detached.

Ones with a strong Two wing (1w2)tend to be helpful, empathic, sensitive to others, image conscious, attention seeking, and controlling. They are usually more expressive of their feelings.

Occasionally, people present the persona of one of their wings - rather than their actual type - to the outside world.

Things Ones Would Never Dream of Doing...

• Letting their spouse wear a sweatsuit to their twenty-fifth high school reunion
  • Not checking to see if they got back the correct change
  • Telling guests to bring all the food and drinks to their party, since they're planning to be tied up at the beach all day
  • Not lifting a finger to help when visiting their fiance as he recovers from surgery
  • Not feeling the least pang of jealousy when their partner talks in glowing terms about a new co-worker of the opposite sex
  • Slurping their drink with their straw at a power business lunch
  • Taking it in stride when the meal they cook for their in-laws burns
How to Get Along with Ones:

• Appreciate their ethics, high standards, and the steadiness and security they bring to your relationship
  • Show them that you are a trustworthy and loyal partner
  • Praise them for their concern for others and for being helpful
  • Show your appreciation by giving them cards, gifts, or hugs
  • Admit mistakes. Ones love it when others feel remorse
  • When in conflict, show them you are looking for a way to resolve the matter constructively
  • Do your share of the chores and responsibilities. Ones want things to be fair.
  • Always use your best manners
  • Keep things orderly and organized and be on time
  • Keep in mind that Ones, especially feeling types, pick up the slightest negative remarks - ones that others wouldn't be aware of
  • Be gentle and sensitive when registering complaints
  • If necessary, tell them that praise and encouragement will get better results from you than criticism
How to Give Ones Extra Support:
  • Reassure them that they have no need to prove they are perfect
  • Remind them that you still love them when they express their anger
  • Show understanding when they make mistakes
  • Take them on a vacation. Ones lighten up dramatically when away from home and responsibility
  • Encourage them to schedule time for relaxation and enjoyment.
-Excepts from "Are You My Type, Am I Yours?" by Renee Baron & Elizabeth Wagele

I am by no means an expert, but I do have this book and thought others might find it interesting. There is more info regarding how Ones view/relate/get along with the other eight types, and I might add that too, although probably in a separate thread. If anyone wants, I can also type up the other types as well. I just would rather see if there is a demand before I actually do that. ^_^ Also, if people do like this and want others, maybe these could be stickied? :unsure:

·
Banned
738 Posts
Blah

All of this information sounds clinical. The greatness of the one is that at some point or another a lot of them feel a calling and they put down their 100k a year job to go do something worthwhile. To believe in a cause is one thing. It's one thing to say that there is something wrong with the world. And these people have a right to complain, to shut their door, blame everyone and everything else, and DO ABSOLUTELY NOTHING TO CHANGE THINGS. The beauty of the Enneagram 1 at their best is that they actually CHANGE THINGS for the better.

·
Cafe Legend and MOTM Jan 2011
15,420 Posts
I'm really starting to doubt that I am a 1w9 despite being typed that way by Grim. Most of those things are very SJ, divided by the wings into STJ or SFJ. Maybe there should be a separate description for non-materialistic, idealistic, feeling type ones, because if I really am one, that description turns me off by being almost the opposite of what I value and consider perfect.

·
Banned
738 Posts
All of this information sounds clinical. The greatness of the one is that at some point or another a lot of them feel a calling and they put down their 100k a year job to go do something worthwhile. To believe in a cause is one thing. It's one thing to say that there is something wrong with the world. And these people have a right to complain, to shut their door, blame everyone and everything else, and DO ABSOLUTELY NOTHING TO CHANGE THINGS. The beauty of the Enneagram 1 at their best is that they actually CHANGE THINGS for the better.

It is always nice to read my stupidity after I write it.

·
Banned
738 Posts
I'm really starting to doubt that I am a 1w9 despite being typed that way by Grim. Most of those things are very SJ, divided by the wings into STJ or SFJ. Maybe there should be a separate description for non-materialistic, idealistic, feeling type ones, because if I really am one, that description turns me off by being almost the opposite of what I value and consider perfect.

you are a 4

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hi! I really appreciated what you wrote on enneagram types, I noticed that you extracted it from the book "Are You My Type, Am I Yours?" ...I was wondering if you cand send me some info on the type 4, please...if you have the ebook could you send it to me? Thanks...

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
Thanks for this post. ever since i figured out my enneagram, I've been curious to learn more about this. By the way, how closely is enneagram tied with type? There was an INFJ-Enneagram thread a while back, and I was one of the few "1's" - I think 1 or 2 other people in many pages. anyway, if anyone also has good links on this type, would love to read about it

·
Registered
4,396 Posts
Yep sounds like me haha , in fact my sister was reading it with me and said "Monie so that's y u act like that?" lol :happy:

Reactions: Tread Softly

·
Registered
81 Posts
I wonder if this mix with enfp...

·
Registered
81 Posts
Which are more common for enfp in your opinion.

·
Banned
2,416 Posts
how this type nonsese compare to mbti?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Hi imru2. I just wanted to say that I have looked at a copy of the book that you have quoted and I just wanted to say that it seemed to me that this book was written as a guide for finding someone who may be very compatible with you based on Enneagram number. I may not have interpretted the book corerectly, I'm just sayin' thats how it came across. But anyhow, I just wanted to caution you on just how much of this way of thinking you allow yourtself to buy in to, because I am a firm believer that any person can be compatible with any person, regardless of Enneagram number. Being compatible is about putting aside the personality and loving someone for thee essence of who they are. It takes a LOT of work (practicaly a life time!), but if there is gunine love there, then anything is possible. Not trying to say that thats what you were implying, but I just looked over that book and saw the basic unerlying message it was portraying and it concerned me that anyone could buy in to such an obviously false idea. But again, I may just have misinterpretted what I read. Just trying to help! Hope I didn't offend!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.