Personality Cafe banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Psychotherapy often comes up as one of the recommended careers for type 4s. Has any of you considered a career in psychotherapy? I am studying psychology and I do feel that my interest in the inner world is far more than that of most people I know. That is perhaps the most important factor that determines one's ability to be a therapist. At the same time, I know 2s, 1s, and 9s who are better at other therapeutic functions like giving people confidence, being somewhat directive, making them feel at peace and relaxed, and so on.

A related issue - do you know any famous type 4 psychotherapists? I am quite certain that Viktor Frankl was a 4w3, and Carl Jung had a strong 4 side though he seems more 5w4 than a 4 to me.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
I don't know the enneagram types of any psychologists, but I'm a psych major who considered counseling as a career for a long time. I wanted to help people who'd been through similar emotions as I had, and I figured I'd be good at relating to them. I'm great in that role as a friend, but it wasn't until I took my second counseling course last semester that I realized it'd be waay too heavy of a career for me to handle. It takes a lot of emotional stability and affects your expectations of personal relationships, amongst other areas of your personal life. So while I continue to strive to help people through their emotional struggles, I'm gonna keep one-on-one counseling out of my career. That being said, apparently the job comes with a ton of paperwork, which I can't see myself liking. And if you opt for a Master's instead of a PhD, you're looking at a salary of around $40,000 a year...yikes! I'd be in debt my whole life!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts