Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How often do you daydream? about what? do you like it?

·
Registered
2,175 Posts
I daydream daily, usually only before I go to bed now. I go to my "inner world" and I don't tell anyone what goes on there - it's just mine.
I do like it, and when I was younger I used to do it whenever I was bored.

I have to be cautious I'm not escaping there too much. I also enjoy going there on long car rides and just spacing out while staring out the window. But mostly it's just a bed time thing now. I feel like I don't have a ton of time to go there otherwise.

·
Registered
NiTe 549
5,321 Posts
I start with a thought and it goes off on plenty of interesting tangents. Much of my daydreaming is "what if" scenarios, then attempts to explain how they could work, and what consequences they might have.

I get readily lost in the pattern, as there's always a thread to a new thought. I've missed busses many a time this way.

I also come up with plenty of random music in daydream-state.

·
Registered
4,647 Posts
My default-setting is on daydream mode. Ever since I could remember, I've been like this. I daydream about anything and everything. Lately, I've been daydreaming about moving on in my life, making actual, significant changes to be where I want to be in life; interspersed in between such daydreaming, I also think about articles and stories I've read, revisit conversations and interactions I've recently had, go over what I need to do this week and in the next month, etc. It's actually funny trying to share all that I daydream about because my thoughts go from one thing to another in a flash at times; all I can say is that I seriously think all this mental energy I expend is the only reason I seem to metabolize pretty well considering I'm a lazy ass in terms of working out - guess my mom was right that thinking really takes up lots of energy, at least in my case.

Overall, I like it very much. I like it because no matter how shitty things are, I can find some solace in my daydreaming. I can't tell you how many times my daydreaming has 'saved' me when I was spending time with people who sucked the life out of me; I would just mentally exit the conversation - usually one-sided in that the other person just kept droning on and on about stuff I cared nothing for - and find a semblance of comfort and escape. Sometimes, though, my daydreaming gets in the way of concentrating on certain tasks. Right now is a perfect example as I should be working, but alas, I am enthusiastically writing about how much I relish daydreaming...

·
Registered
804 Posts
It's definitely my default setting. In fact, it's rare that I'm not daydreaming in some way, to some degree. One behavior I've developed that I'm embarrassed about is that, when someone is talking to me, I'll robotically acknowledge what they're saying -- through head nods, or verbal "uh-huh"s and "yeah"s -- even though I've stopped hearing what they were actually saying minutes ago when they mentioned something that sparked some association that I felt the urge to follow in my head, which connects to something else.... and by the time I snap back to reality I realize I've missed most of what they've said.

I love to stare out of car windows when someone else is driving, feeling at-one-with passing scenery like trees and houses, or imagining what kind of horrors might inhabit the passing woods or decrepit, old buildings; or imagining myself swimming in a passing river like a fish; or imagining strange orbs or aircraft hovering above passing skyscrapers; or wondering to myself who drew that passing graffiti and what message they were trying to convey with it. Internally I get annoyed if the other person in the car gets "bored" and tries to make conversation, usually by making some inane joke or something; but I try to be nice and pay attention and respond to what they're saying.

About 7 years ago I started to do this kind of meditative thing where I just lay still, close my eyes, and just let this flood of internal images fly past my mind. It's invigorating. Energizing. It's basically a hypnagogic state that I've learned to enter into at will and remain in for as long as I choose.

·
Registered
947 Posts
I daydream frequently, usually I daydream about me and a rock star. I usually have a very intense daydream, I could feel the air of the dream, the grass, the skin of my partner in my daydream, I'm keen about tiny details. And usually I arrange it like a movie, so I'm looking at my self in my daydream. I do some research to make my daydream as realistic as possible. Weird how much I strive for a daydream, but for me its my alternate reality. A way to escape every day life that is utterly boring and stressful. Probably this means I have an imaginary friend... But no, all the conversation are very structured. I'm a sexual 5w4, my rock star of choice nowadays is Arctic Monkeys front man, Alex Turner.

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
15+ times an hour. It starts with a relevant thought then it cascades into a story line. I love it most of the time. Although sometimes I will get a traumatizing thought and it will be stuck on repeat throughout the day and be expressed through different story lines.

For example, if someone is talking about how much they hate a professor I will start a story line of me entering their class and being their student. I'll then go through various actions and their repercussions. Around the time the police find me, I realize I am still in the room.

I love to stare out of car windows when someone else is driving, feeling at-one-with passing scenery like trees and houses, or imagining what kind of horrors might inhabit the passing woods or decrepit, old buildings; or imagining myself swimming in a passing river like a fish; or imagining strange orbs or aircraft hovering above passing skyscrapers; or wondering to myself who drew that passing graffiti and what message they were trying to convey with it. Internally I get annoyed if the other person in the car gets "bored" and tries to make conversation, usually by making some inane joke or something; but I try to be nice and pay attention and respond to what they're saying.
That is exactly what I do in the car. My mother has says I've done it for as long as she can remember.

·
Rebel without a cause
2,725 Posts
The problem I have with daydreaming is that I barley can prevent it from happening, and when I start I often end up losing control as if I were in a dream at night, and I become oblivious of myself, my surrounding and lose time. Coming to think of it, it's almost only in daydream mode where I can think efficiently in words, otherwise my natural mode is to "improvise" -- speak/write in order to really be able to think things through.

·
Registered
663 Posts
I don't daydream that much but I do a lot of visualizations. Specially when I am trying to memorize something I am reading. We live in a universe where intention is everything. I use those visualizations also in daily activities to manipulate reality through positive thinking. Sometimes when I eat I imagine food been converted into energy and nourishing each of the organs and cells of my body...just to give an example :p.

From time to time I have a recurrent daydream that sometimes I have a hard time keeping control of. It is kind of silly. In the daydream I am usually in this endless sea of grass meadow. I don't have any consistency or form...I am just an amorphous substance like water. There is this desire to merge with someone. Next to me is another amorphous being of another color..that is pure energy like me. Our energies fuse together and there is this sense of completeness and fulfillment. In that single moment there is absolute not a single worry...just a warn feeling that permeates and flow across my entire being. I don't want to break the bond...it just feel to nice. That concept of merging with someone has been present in one form of another in my entire life( just check my avatar ;p). Probably must be my sexual variant at work. Like I say silly :p. The German philosopher Schopenhauer used to say one can choose what to do but not what to want. So maybe our daydreaming worlds are a window into our most profound and pure desires.

·
Registered
334 Posts
I'm nearly always daydreaming, which can be a bit hazardous in situations that require me to be "in the moment". I just kind of fall into it without realizing, since it happens so often, and it's pretty difficult for me to completely break out of it without the required time. Mostly I dream about things that I wish could happen, or stories that I wish I could transfer to paper, though it really does depend on my mood.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
If our poor to non-existent social abilities, support networks, and material comforts were God's curse to the 5, his blessing and our saving grace is our super-powered imaginations. I literally think that I could not survive without daydreaming, but with it, living in an apartment smaller than most walk-in closets, with no friends and hardly any human contact is not only bearable, but indeed quite pleasant. In my case though there is an extremely fuzzy distinction between daydreaming and fantasy and meticulous planning and preparation to achieve these dreams.

·
Registered
2,175 Posts
The weather has just started to turn nice here and it's really making me crave a road trip so I can stare out the windows lost in my own world for 4-8 hours at a time. Bliss. I realize I still daydream more than I think I do. I don't like to take music or a book when I ride the bus because again, just staring out the window and seeing where my mind takes me is often more fun.

·
Registered
992 Posts
I sometimes do it when I feel the need. My daydreams usually consist of a parallel universe likewise to this; while I help mankind with my supernatural powers. I usually only go to that world when I'm bored(nothing to do), otherwise I review my day and daydream the what-if scenarios...

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
I've always had a bad habit of daydreaming...Sometimes it's good. But usually it gets excessive for me and just takes me out of the moment. I think my 4 wing and my 9 fix make me specifically daydreamy.
I really daydream about ALLLL sorts of stuff. The subjects are very broad. It can be just curious "how the world works" stuff, maybe involving nature or human nature. It can be "what if" scenarios... worst case scenarios, best case scenarios. Sometimes just random absurd "it would be so crazy/weird if that happened" stuff. Sometimes I just think of shapes and colours, super abstract visual scenes, metaphors and spiritual things

·
Registered
144 Posts
The problem I have with daydreaming is that I barley can prevent it from happening, and when I start I often end up losing control as if I were in a dream at night, and I become oblivious of myself, my surrounding and lose time. Coming to think of it, it's almost only in daydream mode where I can think efficiently in words, otherwise my natural mode is to "improvise" -- speak/write in order to really be able to think things through.
I cannot prevent my daydreaming either. What is worse is that I can be so in it that after a while I notice how people around me are giving me strange looks and that is when I know my facial expressions are making me seem like I do not fit in with the same environment that they are in.

I love daydreaming. It is the escapism that I need. I just don't know what it all means.... and I do not know when it is considered unhealthy because I daydream so many times a day. However, if it is unhealthy, I wouldn't want a cure. I am not happy with my life so I need something positive because relying on people usually delivers the opposite. I don't socialize and I do not have any friend. I just talk to people but I can never get close to them. I don't feel lonely though and my daydreams pick me up when I am down. I know I have a lot to work on though

1 - 20 of 29 Posts