Personality Cafe banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
New here, so don't hurt me please :kitteh:

I am a 5w4 or 5w6 (both first preference. took test twice.) ISFP. I read the description for a type 5, and though I was a bit reluctant to accept it at first, after skimming through the other types, I guess I can grudgingly admit that I do agree with a lot of it. What confuses me is how I can be an introverted feeler and an 'investigator' simultaneously. Don't they kind of offset?

·
Registered
929 Posts
An Investigator is someone who observes his/her surroundings, they will take in a lot without giving much. I'm an INFP, so introverted feeling is my dominant function. It does not oppose my observing nature but influences it based on values. I'm by no means an expert on functions, so if I'm wrong about this, feel free to correct me.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for responding! I don't quite understand though; do you have an example?

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hmm, ISFP is a type who is more action prone, a 'doer'. But then, a type 5 seems to be an observer of facts. They seem more on opposite sides of the spectrum rather than a viable pair.

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
Hmm, ISFP is a type who is more action prone, a 'doer'. But then, a type 5 seems to be an observer of facts. They seem more on opposite sides of the spectrum rather than a viable pair.
It just means you're full of awesome.

I don't see where it'd conflict. Could you offer an explanation?

I almost fear you are rejecting the title of Observer because you are a Feeler.

Reactions: amatsuki

·
Registered
804 Posts
I certainly do things like play percussion and mandolin.

I actually see a lot of overlap between Type Five and Introverted Feeling. Both, for example, can experience a lot of awkwardness when it comes to expressing feelings.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It just means you're full of awesome.

I don't see where it'd conflict. Could you offer an explanation?

I almost fear you are rejecting the title of Observer because you are a Feeler.
Nono, I don't disagree with being a type 5, but I don't get how it works for a feeler. If introverted feelers are the 'doers', that is to say, they jump into things, how can they also be the cautious, observant type? Maybe I'm not understanding one side right :s

I certainly do things like play percussion and mandolin.

I actually see a lot of overlap between Type Five and Introverted Feeling. Both, for example, can experience a lot of awkwardness when it comes to expressing feelings.
Ah yep, I can see how the "cannot connect completely with others" can be applied to both, but the more technical side is what I don't get. Type 5s are described as 'always planning', yet Fi's are supposedly bad with planning skills and take a more practical approach?

·
Registered
804 Posts
Nono, I don't disagree with being a type 5, but I don't get how it works for a feeler. If introverted feelers are the 'doers', that is to say, they jump into things, how can they also be the cautious, observant type? Maybe I'm not understanding one side right :s
I believe it's just ISFPs (not INFPs) that are referred to as 'doers', and I interpret it to mean that they do their own thing on their own, not that they recklessly or impulsively jump into things. Is this where you tested as an ISFP? I always come out as an ISFP there to. I'm pretty sure I'm a Si-type not a Se-type though, from reading comparisons of the functions.

Ah yep, I can see how the "cannot connect completely with others" can be applied to both, but the more technical side is what I don't get. Type 5s are described as 'always planning', yet Fi's are supposedly bad with planning skills and take a more practical approach?
I don't agree with that description of Type Five. I couldn't plan if my life depended on it. It's Type Seven that's associated with planning (Seven's fixation is referred to as Ego-Planning; Five's is called Ego-Stinginess). Sevens plan (as in focus on future possibilities) as a way to avoid dealing with the sadness, pain, and fear in the present. As a Five it's more like a stockpiling of inner resources (knowledge, understanding, energy, insight, ect.) until I feel the strength and confidence to go out into the world. It's an inner sense of having been fortified. Perhaps that's what they mean by "planning" but I wouldn't use that word to describe it. It's not like I have a step-by-step process laid out in my mind beforehand.

Edit: Also, I don't see why Fi--on it's own--would be associated practicality.

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
I understand the concept because I am a 5-8-4. Five is the withdrawn, knowledgeable type while eight is about protection and being assertive. I can feel it clashing sometimes. Superficially it may seem the two wouldn't go together, but they take turns, and sometimes (well rarely for me) balance each other out.

I am not too familiar with Fi (read: know close to nothing about it), but from my limited understanding, isn't it that Fi is withdrawn Feeling and measures the environment with inner ideals? I don't see how that clashes with being a Five, other than Feeling taking precedence. Just remember, everything is a scale, not completely opposite black and white categories.

·
Registered
NiTe 549
5,321 Posts
If I recall, all SPs on this forum are referred to as "doers". That's from the Keirsey classification of artisan, where you supposedly get someone who manipulates the concrete as a priority. And it's not necessarily so reliable.

Anyhow, you're looking at Enneagram, which is a system of identifying (personal) underlying drives, with a classification into 9 basics. The enneagram drives are something which run deep in a person, generally deeper than cognitive functions. You should look at Timeless' description of the 5, as it was very well laid-out and succinctly explained. You can scroll down to where he gives descriptions of how the different MBTI types might be as a 5; any MBTI can have the 5-ideals, up to and including extraverts and feelers - they will just use different means to gain surrounding data and act on their fiveness.

Umm...by the way, if you want a better or more complete typing (tests are not always accurate), you can go over to the typing forum and post a new thread with answers to the questionnaire.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hmm, after reading the past few comments, I think I'm really not understanding the whole Enneagram typing.

Thankyou @Mizmar and @BlueGiraffe , I think I understand a little bit better now :) It's more motive than behaviour? Not motive, per se, but something that lies a bit deeper.

Thankyou @Flatlander ! I read up that description initially, which was what confused me, haha. I think I will look into that questionnaire. I totally missed it before.

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
MBTI is about processing information.
Enneagram is about motivations.

So feeling is how you relate things to yourself. How you take in your surroundings.

But knowledge is your motivation.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I believe it's just ISFPs (not INFPs) that are referred to as 'doers', and I interpret it to mean that they do their own thing on their own, not that they recklessly or impulsively jump into things. Is this where you tested as an ISFP? I always come out as an ISFP there to. I'm pretty sure I'm a Si-type not a Se-type though, from reading comparisons of the functions.

I don't agree with that description of Type Five. I couldn't plan if my life depended on it. It's Type Seven that's associated with planning (Seven's fixation is referred to as Ego-Planning; Five's is called Ego-Stinginess). Sevens plan (as in focus on future possibilities) as a way to avoid dealing with the sadness, pain, and fear in the present. As a Five it's more like a stockpiling of inner resources (knowledge, understanding, energy, insight, ect.) until I feel the strength and confidence to go out into the world. It's an inner sense of having been fortified. Perhaps that's what they mean by "planning" but I wouldn't use that word to describe it. It's not like I have a step-by-step process laid out in my mind beforehand.

Edit: Also, I don't see why Fi--on it's own--would be associated practicality.
Nice - I love the mental image of fortifying myself via gathering and storing experiences. Personally, I tend to feel anxious and inadequate when doing or thinking about something I haven't been exposed to before, or have little to no experience with. For example, socializing, with all its unwritten rules, which to me feels pointless - like maintaining tradition for tradition's sake. :dry:

Now back to building my trojan horse, with which I will eventually infiltrate society! :crazy:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts