Personality Cafe banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
2,044 Posts
This is based on my experience with specific individuals. So keep that in mind.

I think with type 5s, they are not aware of their emotions (or the intensity of them); but it's very strong. At least, I can sense them naturally and easily.

With type 1s, there is not so much a lack of awareness, as there is this iron-handed control and channeling of that in their anger.

Both give preference to objectivity I believe, but 5s are more drawn to the darkness (including intense emotions) than 1s are.

·
Registered
984 Posts
Emotions for a one are real, they are felt, they are expressed. But they are also distanced from subjectivity when communicated. There is a greater good that the one strives for, and this distancing allows for the execution of the greater good with an in-control overtone. Based on what I've observed for a five, emotions are uncomfortable, and so they are denied and extinguished, sometimes in an ironically emotional manner. A one is not necessarily unwilling to feel emotions or get in touch with emotions, but they'd rather channel the emotions and instead focus on reaching for the positive outcome they envision. That's why type fours integrate to one. Their style becomes much more than just about emotions... it's about what is right and what is wrong, it's about action and doing rather than contemplating, and about optimizing and perfecting. So I'd say a one acknowledges emotions and goes beyond emotions, while a five rejects emotions and deters away from emotions. Interestingly, both can be very passionate types with very specific ideals for how to live.

·
Registered
984 Posts
This is based on my experience with specific individuals. So keep that in mind.

I think with type 5s, they are not aware of their emotions (or the intensity of them); but it's very strong. At least, I can sense them naturally and easily.

With type 1s, there is not so much a lack of awareness, as there is this iron-handed control and channeling of that in their anger.

Both give preference to objectivity I believe, but 5s are more drawn to the darkness (including intense emotions) than 1s are.
That's true. Ones are looking to go beyond emotions and channel emotions to attain outcomes, as they prioritize reaching a more optimal state. Fives are more oblivious and dismissive of emotions. A one is looking for light by provoking darkness, and a five communicates darkness by provoking light.

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
Seems to me like your topic is asking a different question than your post or your suggesting that type 1 represses emotions and type 5 detaches from emotions.

What's the difference between repressing emotions and detaching from emotions?
IMO, repressing emotions has to do with not letting them enter into consciousness (kind of like repressed memories). I don't think that's really a type 1 thing though.

Detaching from emotions for type 5 is not a matter of keeping them out of consciousness but watching or observing them without getting caught up in the experiencing of them. It's not an unawareness but more a non-involvement. It's a good place from which to analyze and understand what they mean without being run by them.

·
Registered
5,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Seems to me like your topic is asking a different question than your post or your suggesting that type 1 represses emotions and type 5 detaches from emotions.
Yes I am suggesting that; it's in the Enneagram books I've read. You don't think repressing any emotions is a type 1 issue, not even anger?

·
Registered
5,417 Posts
I'm an enneagram 5. I don't think I detach from emotions really, or at least, not in the same way I detach from other things. Emotions always need to be processed for me. Either right now, or later, when I can. I believe that thoughts are connected to emotions and this is true for me anyway. Thinking about certain things makes me feel certain emotions.

So this makes it easy for me to lock up my emotions in separate boxes, and I can keep the boxes closed even when in different situations. If I don't attach myself to what's happening around me, I can avoid the emotions related to it. However, when emotion does strike me, I have no choice but to experience it in it's full intensity. Sometimes I can delay this process, but never truly avoid it.

I'm always aware of feelings that make me uncomfortable, and I try to avoid feeling that way as much as possible. This means, I just avoid the situation altogether. Then I don't have to feel uncomfortable. So it's not emotions I detach from, more like the thoughts/situations that cause me to be emotional. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
Yes I am suggesting that; it's in the Enneagram books I've read. You don't think repressing any emotions is a type 1 issue, not even anger?
I don't think repressing emotions in general is a type 1 thing.

Anger is the supposed passion of type 1 and Reaction Formation is the supposed defense mechanism. So if you take those two as accurate it would be a transformation of the anger into something else. I think the experience of anger for type 1 can be perceived internally as an energy or determination "to get things right" and a frustration that may surface when they're not right (it's the Enneagram that wants to label that "anger" but it's really more specific than that). The reaction formation by itself for type 1 might also be stated as responding to "bad" impulses by being "good" instead.

·
Registered
451 Posts
No. 1.. E5 is a fear type. Emotions get in the way of all these heady functions. That's not to say they don't experience them, but through which lens? Through empathy? Guilt? um, fear? E5 has no line to the heart center. (E7 the other one, a somewhat extroverted version of E5, but.. 7 goes to E1... read on)

No 2. E1 is busy acting out a God-complex. They are doing God's work, dutifully, the perfect child... but a child nonetheless. As a result, they are one of the most emotional types based on the abstract-maturity of the circle. Ever wonder why the word pedantic is associated with E1? The rich, organic experience of these things is not within their makeup.. alas, they have no idea they're doing "it".

In clunky summation, the fixation says.. E5, too mature to deal with all these emotions. E1, too immature to experience what all these things mean.

·
Registered
5,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
No. 1.. E5 is a fear type. Emotions get in the way of all these heady functions. That's not to say they don't experience them, but through which lens? Through empathy? Guilt? um, fear?
Fear and guilt are themselves emotions. I don't know what you mean by experiencing emotions through the lens of emotions.

I think the experience of anger for type 1 can be perceived internally as an energy or determination "to get things right" and a frustration that may surface when they're not right (it's the Enneagram that wants to label that "anger" but it's really more specific than that).
What do you mean by the bolded bit? Since we are discussing the Enneagram itself, it's kind of weird to suggest that something has a meaning more specific than what the Enneagram suggests.

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
I think the experience of anger for type 1 can be perceived internally as an energy or determination "to get things right" and a frustration that may surface when they're not right (it's the Enneagram that wants to label that "anger" but it's really more specific than that).
What do you mean by the bolded bit? Since we are discussing the Enneagram itself, it's kind of weird to suggest that something has a meaning more specific than what the Enneagram suggests.
The labels used with the Enneagram types are only approximations. You have to find the more specific experience that the label is hinting at if you really want to understand what's going on internally. You can apply "anger" to any type. It's a very broad term. Take for example when it's applied broadly to the 891 triad and that triad is called the "anger" triad. The label is only a starting point to begin exploring a type.

Also, the label may not be indicative of the internal experience. It may not be experienced as anger for type 1 but something more specific (e.g., determination, irritation, etc.). This is true for all the types to some degree. Often what happens with people learning the Enneagram is they start using the labels to reinterpret their experience through them because they think they're gaining insight when it may just be that they're loosing perspective on what the true experience is.

I don't remember exactly where this quote is from but it applies to what I'm saying.
Words like glasses distort what they don't make clear.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Fear and guilt are themselves emotions. I don't know what you mean by experiencing emotions through the lens of emotions.
I'm referring to the conscious experience of emotions. I used a trick question to address that E5 is already fearful at a subconscious type-based level and living through a lens.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts