Personality Cafe banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings my fellow Type 5's (and fellow lurkers).

Let's get right to it..

How are you Type 5's coping with COVID-19?

Has this unknown variable affected or bothered you at all?

Has it caused you any stress ? Has it changed your state of Mind?

Are the Surviving or Thriving in Lockdown ? (if you indeed are in one)

Has it piqued your interest in science/medicine/masks/virology/microbiology & a possible vaccine?

What are your thoughts on Conspiracy Theorists ideas on COVID-19?

What do you plan to do after it ends?

- Godspeed

·
Registered
INFP
1,375 Posts
I don't really mind about covid, I get to do telework. That means I don't have to waste time commuting anymore and I'm always at the computer which I love. I have a very basic life style so it doesn't really bother me. I go out once a week to do grocery shopping rest of the time I'm home.

·
Host
ENTP 5w6 So/Sx 584 ILE Honorary INTJ VLFE
20,613 Posts
Working from home and being very conservative with my money. Unfortunately, I'm a So Dom Extroverted 5w6, so all this alone time is not super good for me. I need to be around other people at some point, or I'll go stark bonkers mad.

I can do the "hermit in the cave" thing for long stretches, but at some point....I need some people around me.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I dunno, I don’t really mind it. I like being able to do my courses online and I also like how much more space and alone time I am given now. My dominant is sp, and frankly, socializing is very last on the priority list. If I absolutely have to socialize, there’s always Discord.

I miss my job though, it was a pretty good gig and now I’ve really got to be careful with my money (something I’m horrible at).

·
Registered
INFJ ♀ 2w1 || 9w1 || 5w4 Sp/Sx Decadent.
835 Posts
I'm an introvert and I love... LOVE being at home. So I was dealing just fine.
Getting back to normal where I have to go to work every day, all of a sudden. That's the struggle.

I still had work occasionally and it was kind of annoying to have to work in retail during this time. Not everyone followed the rules my company had set in place
I kind of enjoyed the social distancing aspect but I wasn't thrilled about having to wash/sanitise my hands 25 times a day. I did it, just in case, but I didn't care for it.

Nope :)

Not at all. It was actually nice that there weren't as many people outside as usual.
Though I will say, I'm a bit disappointed that my expectations for myself weren't reached. I was hoping that I would find a cozy long distance romance to help pass the time.

Some people would ask me what I thought the virus would do to marriages, this one guy said that he suspected the divorce rate would increase.
I disagreed.
Maybe I'm just an optimist but I suspected that the lockdown would bring people closer. Married couples would fall in love with each other again, and families would become closer having the opportunity to spend more time with each other.

I don't know if I'd say thriving... I was chilling.

Has it piqued your interest in science/medicine/masks/virology/microbiology & a possible vaccine?
Not really.
I'm not a medical expert but I do have a pretty basic knowledge of health. I'm under the impression that most people (particularly younger and middle aged people) could contract it and their body will just build an immunity to it, just as it does for every other virus.

Lol no comment.

I'm actually not sure.
What happened is sure to take a severe blow to the world economy, and it is a little scary to think of what's coming. Hopefully it'll be a relatively quick recovery....
Hopefully...

·
Premium Member
INTJ 5w6 Sp/Sx 593
1,660 Posts
Mainly just improvising where I need to.

At the beginning, I was slightly caught off guard. My boss only told me the morning of when I wasn't to come into work anymore.
In Canada, we have a program called the CERB. It basically grants all eligible people $2,000 a month if they lost their job (or make less than $1,000 per month) due to COVID-19.
I was off work for around 3 months total. The uncertainty unnerved me a bit, but then I developed new strategies to keep me going in the meantime.

At the beginning, yes. The CERB wasn't well explained, and it seemed the government would look for any source of mal-intent if you applied your information incorrectly.
But after a few days, my mindset adjusted. I was fairly calm with being by myself during the 3 month lockdown. Some of my other family members on the other hand (specifically my mother) got very emotional.
I also know a lot of people who are stressed out, and letting the panic get to them.
I just don't see how panicking solves anything; it is important to keep a clear head.

But applying for University was a pain because of the pandemic.
The university only let me know that I got in a few weeks ahead before classes started. Apparently, my application went down the wrong "channels".
Which meant that I had to pack all of my things, and move into a dorm within the span of a few weeks. My boss didn't make things easy for me either, as he conveniently planned a hunting trip when I was in the middle of moving (Which he had all summer to do). So for a good few weeks, all I was doing was working all day, and then packing most of the night.

It also meant I got my class information only a few weeks before class started, while most students had months to prepare.
What made it especially annoying, is that the teacher kept forcing me to do extra curricular activities outside of town instead of having the whole course on campus. This was for dumb reasons such as "teamwork building" exercises with other students. It's not like my work experience in the wire-lining industry (with me working with people from around the world) has already taught me to do that...
Most of that is just common sense, and we don't need a class dedicated to teaching us that.

I came here to learn to do my job, not to play games. Unlike most students in my class, I also have a job to consider. I can't change my schedule on the tip of a hat because some white-collar person decided that a trip to the ski-lodge automatically overwrites my need to work to pay for my tuition.

I also don't have a vehicle, and none of this information was made available to me before the course started.
They say it was due to COVID-19, but I think it is due to incompetence.

So I ended up leaving the course. My professor wasn't happy with my decision, but whatever.
I'll just become a professor instead. I can then do things my way.

My scholarship fell through too, because due to COVID-19, none of the offices were not open and applications had to be mailed. I ended up resending my application 4 times because of small errors.
It was even more annoying because I ended up not getting the scholarship anyway, so it was a giant waste of my time.

While I was in the lockdown, I started a few new hobbies.
I started to exercise (weight lifting, biking, yoga, cardio, etc) for about one hour every day in the morning. I'm typically not a very athletic person, so it was a hard routine to get into.
In the three month span, I gained quite a bit of muscle. This was unheard of before because I am generally a skinny guy with a fast metabolism. I can generally eat whatever I want, and I'll still look the same.
Sure, I lost all that muscle when I went back to work (and stopped exercising), but I could always do it again.

I also taught myself how to brew my own coffee. People can make fun of me as much as they want, but I love a good cup of coffee in the morning that is strictly mine.
I also studied more in various other subjects.

The key to surviving lockdown and isolation is adaptability. If you are flexible enough to change your mindset, you can basically overcome anything.
So during my time in lockdown, I did enjoy it. But I know that the damage it did to the economy is really bad, and it is arguable that the lockdowns only delayed the inevitable. So if an argument ever did spring up in support of another one, it wouldn't be coming from me.

Not really. Science has never been one of my interests.
A vaccine is made when a vaccine is made. There is no point in obsessing over it, since that isn't going to do anything to speed up the process.
Why waste the energy?

Doesn't really matter to me.

Well, I went back to work earlier than lots of other people (mid-June), so I've been back to routine for a fair bit now.
I wanted to try and make some new friends in college, but Covid-19 is making that difficult.
But to be blunt, I probably wouldn't make an effort anyway., but it's easier to say that Covid-19 did it.

Reactions: ienigma220

·
Registered
♂️ INFJ 5w4 (593) // IEI-Ni
4,842 Posts
I'm doing fine, it hasn't affected my life at all. I'm used to lockdown conditions and I have plenty of things to keep myself occupied. Of course I'd rather it wasn't happening since I don't wish for all this suffering and death - it does pain me - nor do I want my family catching it, but in my day to day life I don't see any difference from before the pandemic.
What does end up getting to me is mostly seeing people's annoying stupid reactions to it and government incompetency that only makes the issue worse.

It hasn't really enhanced my interest in science, though I do find biology interesting so I'm surprised it hasn't.

No conspiracy theories I've heard about COVID have convinced me so I don't think about it. Perhaps I'm simply not affected enough by the situation to care about coming up with such theories. I just go by the "let's just listen to the doctors and scientists, they know about the situation better than anyone else does"

I don't know what I'll do after it's over, probably go outside a little more.

·
Registered
601 Posts
I feel very privileged regarding the covid-19 situation.

As for work, this is actually a blessing - not only do I still have a nice salary at a time when so many others are losing their jobs, I'm very easily able to work from home. Not being at the office has actually resolved some issues that I used to have with my boss. We get along a lot better now that we're not in the same room.

Apart from the social interaction with my colleagues at work (which I don't miss very much, because the team spirit wasn't really there even before the coronavirus), my social life is at least as active as it was before the lockdown. I may see my friends slightly less than before in person, but I see them more than ever online via Teams.

What causes me the most stress is the uncertainty of this whole thing. I'm definitely not a control freak: I've always been able to relax knowing that even though I may not be personally able to know how to solve a problem, there are scientists who know what they're doing, and I can trust them. My trust in science hasn't wavered, but it's been disconcerting to be in a situation where not even the best experts really know what's going on and how to deal with it. And that doesn't stop with the virus itself - nobody really knows what will happen to the world economy, and how it will affect us all in the long run. Personally, I've lost all interest in shopping, and I have a hard time imagining that I'd regain much passion for it even after the lockdown. Life is so easy now that I only have to buy food and drink. If and when a lot of people have the same experience, it may have big long-term consequences that we're not really able to predict at this time.

·
Premium Member
INTP (I thimk) 5w
16,952 Posts
I'm coping. I'm coping.

It bothers me when I'm confronted with maskless people.

I'm bothered other people are bothered.

I'm not thriving enough. I should take advantage.

My ears are open.

None unless they are good theories. Feelings are another matter.

I plan to sell my stock in Zoom.

·
Registered
3,959 Posts
w5 here, but I'm still going to reply.

How are you Type 5's coping with COVID-19? Has this unknown variable affected or bothered you at all? Has it caused you any stress ? Has it changed your state of Mind?

I thought I was coping very well, but I'm here, "talking" with anonymous strangers online again after several years, so that's clearly suspicious behavior. All of this Covid business has been interesting to observe, but I never had to leave my apartment to go to work, I never had to stop working, there was no curfew or anything like that. So, nothing much changed in my life.

My anxiety levels were more elevated in March, but they're back to the usual now (which is still higher than normal). I'm more worried about my family members, they're all high risk in one way or another. The additional stress I've felt is being forced to choose the kind of lifestyle I chose willingly before. That bothers me a bit, not having a say in when and where to go as I please anymore. I liked having the options before (such as travelling abroad, going to the movies/theatre/concerts/museums whenever, that's mostly gone for now). I don't miss any of it too much either, but still, options are good.

Not in lockdown. But neither, I suppose. It's not overwhelming, but I can't say that I enjoy it enough to thrive either.

Not more than usual. I'd be on the front line, and possibly dead by now, if I had actually continued pursuing a health care related career a few years back. As to a vaccine, I'm following the news, but I won't be the first in line to get it if something useful ever gets developed.

I'd say they're funny, but people's lives are on the line all across the world. It's all fine and dandy to talk about theories until a lot of people start dropping dead because of something ridiculous they believed and followed.

Adapt to the new normal. I'd like to say that I'll start living a more fuller life, but that's probably a lie. I might change some things, but I was planning to do that anyway!

·
Registered
2 Posts

I'm more or less unconcerned. I know plenty of people who've had it it ( brothers, cousins, boss etc) and they've all recovered fine.

I was laid off this last summer for 4 months and then another two months of hit or miss work. I was able to do side jobs landscaping and scrapping metal and hauling trash for people. But mentally, not really.

The stress i experienced was from trying make ends meet than worrying about getting sick. I'm pretty objective and from everything I've seen, infind very little to concern myself about

I actually really enjoyed being off work and having more time to spend with my family and do side work. I miss seeing my grandparents and cousins (they live across the border in canada) but for the most part it was like going on vacation with no money

No

I have never heared a conspiracy theory theory that sounded less true than the governemts story... except QAnon. Thats just hilarious trump fan fiction.

Nothing different

Sent from my SM-G892U using Tapatalk

339 Posts
For me, the worst thing about Covid is probably having gone through a pregnancy and trying to keep a now-infant safe while sending my older child to school.

Yes, I’ve spent an ungodly amount of hours researching it. And, yes, I wonder every week if sending my oldest to school is a good idea.

I believed in the it-got-out-of-a-Chinese-laboratory conspiracy theory for about five minutes before discarding that information. (Okay, I still occasionally wonder, but then I think I am just being paranoid.) I have never believed that it was released on purpose or that China had some bad intent.

Covid has been terrible for my mental health—not because I can’t go out as much, but because of the opportunities I see it cost my children (farewell dear library time; so long precious science museum visits). The worst part for me though is realizing the lack of solidarity. How can we, as a species, simply refuse to mask and stay home as much as possible for just ONE month to curtail this sh!tstorm? Oh? We refuse to do that even when many have the option to stay home? People don’t believe in science? People believe that masks impinge on their freedom, but don’t believe in others’ right to live?

This pandemic has completely changed the way I see the world, and unfortunately, I’ve lost a lot of respect for most of my family and friends who refuse to take it seriously and do their part. (I’m so tired of seeing someone throw a party or take advantage of cheap flights to go to a high-outbreak area for vacation.) It’s created this isolation for me—not just physically, but emotionally as well from people whose carelessness I was previously able to overlook.

The only thing that I’ve benefited from this past year is having a valid reason to say “no”. People often take advantage of my passive and agreeable nature. So I haven’t had to worry as much about the grandparents setting their own health and moral guidelines on my children and forcing me to go along with them. Getting a one year break from getting walked all over (even if I haven’t had a day off from the kids in nearly a year) is so much less stressful than dealing with my parents and in laws that refuse to take my “no thank you’s” and “please don’t do that’s” seriously. I feel a bit guilty saying something “good” has come out of it, but there it is. It gave me a mental reprieve from people who never respect my boundaries.

As for after it ends... I don’t think it’ll ever actually end. It will just improve. (I hope.) I’m definitely still going to mask when I’m in public—especially somewhere indoors. I have no interest in going to dine-in restaurants anymore. And, I’m not going to allow my kids to be around any unvaccinated adults, since we don’t know what the long term repercussions of this virus is on the heart or lungs. Ultimately, not a lot is going to change for my family, but I’m hoping we can do more outdoor activities in the future.

·
Registered
ISxP 5
3,338 Posts

My life hasn't changed much due to it.

The only thing bothering me is other people not considering it and still not wearing masks etc.

Not really, no.

-

Not really. Haven't given me reason enough to research it.

The ideas are fine.. following them is different story.

Look for a better job and probably look for concerts to go to again.

·
Registered
INTJ 5w6 531 so/sp ILI-Ni
438 Posts

It was rough at first but it got better somehow.

To some extent, yes. A lot of change happened in the past year for me. I was struggling to look for work for some time but eventually got a job. Now that everything is pretty much settled for me (and I recognize how fortunate I am), nothing bothers me except that I get lonely sometimes. Interacting with other people virtually is fine but I prefer seeing them in person and experiencing more things for myself.

Stress - yes in the beginning, not anymore. I feel like I've learned to be more grateful of what I have, and as a result, I feel happier in general. I also used to neglect my health but now I am taking better care of myself (exercising, eating healthy, etc.)

I wouldn't classify my current situation as a lockdown but I guess I'm thriving indoors.

I became more interested in these topics at the beginning of COVID-19 but my interest faded out over time as I got busier with my work and other projects.

I don't really care about those conspiracies. To each their own.

I really miss going out with my friends, volunteering in person, and just having fun and experiencing life in general. I think after it ends, I'll explore more of my city, catch up with some of my friends, and go to events. I also want to carry out some projects that I've been working on to reality.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts