Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
5,602 Posts
I don't know anyone's type but my own IRL, so I can't say. I haven't been attracted to many people anyhow. I think I could be attracted to a person of any type as long as that person is reasonably healthy,

It seems unlikely than many type 5s have actually known and been attracted to enough typed or typable people to have noticed any pattern in their attractions.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
My pattern in attraction pretty much comes down to my own exact type (5 sx) or my related type (8):
-5 sx -- it's effortless, love the depth & intensity. My SO is my 'twin' :)

-8 -- love the feeling of familiarity while being different, their strength, the shared truth valuing etc.

A couple of other types come to mind:
-1w9 sx -- when I meet one I like, I like them a ton -- I love that intensity & intellect & insatiable need for growth with a true gentleman hiding under the fiery surface. I'm not sure I'd enjoy being perfected anew forever by these standards setters though...

-4s -- I've met a couple of very compelling, artistic, deep (healthy) 4s, we're better as friends though. For a withdrawn type, I prefer (healthy) 5s romantically.

I'm sure it's no conicidence that I'm attracted to people who share my core type (5 sx), related type (8), wing (w4) and tritype (5w4 1w9 3w4), although I should note that 1w9 sx is the exception with 1s -- as a rule 1s & I repel each other. The 3 influence in me is too remote to be attracted to core 3s.

5s are meant to be related to 7s too but my experience has been that when 7s give their sugary placating optimism in a hackneyed one-liner ("it'll be okay"), seemingly no matter the novelty or seriousness of the circumstance, it's anti-attraction to me, like make-mental-note-lest-I-ever-forget level of (hell) no. ENTP 7s do make me laugh though.

·
Registered
766 Posts
I have a strange thing about 4s. We just sink into each other. They just make sense to me. It starts the first time we meet. We see each other across the room and we both recognize the feeling.

Even like them in general interaction. If I go to buy coffee the really quiet 4s are such a relief to deal with. Wish there was a coffee shop staffed with all 4s.

So curious to be close with a 5 though.

·
Registered
25 Posts
The instinctual subtypes play a role here. I am a 5 self-preservation. It has been said (and is true of me) that 5 sp's can verge on finding relationships not worth the trouble. Not friendships, so much. But long-term, live-in relationships . . . like marriage. I have been married for a long time now, and it works. But I also love spending LOTS of time alone. I would say a lot of 5s are attracted to 5s. I find 3s and 8s easy to be around. I admire 7s from afar (they have so much energy! are so productive). Someone here said they find 4s attractive. This is not true of all 5s. I'll just put it that way.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Definitely 8's, and apparently 6's, I think my Dad was probably a 6 with a 5 wing, and my sister is a 5w6, and my X was a 6w5, though I think she had a fairly strong 7 wing too.

I don't know if I've ever been in relation with a 5... maybe my "big" lost love was a 5w6, but I didn't know the enneagram back then. I would definitely need a 5 with SX as I have SX (SO/SX I think) and really love that intensity.

For 8's I admire her thoughtfulness (seems she definitely has explored her disintegration route) and also her decisiveness and drive to effect things. though as the relationship thread states we can definitely be triggering to each other when we're both in a triggered unhealthy state, but luckily we're rather healthy so it works pretty well.

·
Registered
601 Posts
I don't have a pattern. Or I kinda do, but it seems to be always going for something different than the one that didn't work before.

I'm sure I've been superficially attracted to all types of men over the years, but my important ones have been these:

1) My first real love was a Four, and even though it was million years ago, it remains my big romantic experience. He was larger than life. Getting over it was torture for the first few years and mild discomfort for the next 25.

2) Perhaps as an attempt to save myself from more heartache, the next man I decided to love was a One. We were interested in the same kinds of things, although his interest was much more ambitious than mine. I guess I admired him.

3) Now knowing that I can't live with a One I went for and nearly married a Six. We had a lot in common, but it all became very joyless after a few years.

4) By this time I was starting to panic about my romantic future and decided avoid any past mistakes and choose a completely different kind of man: I married an Eight. It wasn't really his Eightness that ended up bothering me enough to have to divorce him, but just the overall difficulty of living with another person. At the time I thought that it was low of him to blame my inability to commit, when clearly it was his impossibly irritating personality that killed our marriage, but now I guess he was right.

·
Registered
8,093 Posts
apparently 6. I know fucktons. I like 4s quite a lot. I could grow to fancy a fellow 5 I imagine, in person I like the type, despite finding quite a number of fives on this forum completely ridiculous and repulsive.
but my most powerful attraction to date is to a 9w8. Holy shit.

·
Registered
759 Posts
Honestly, I think I find everybody annoying when they're in their "neurotic" state. On a healthier mindset, though, I don't seem to mind any type, so long as they don't bother me. I don't mind 2s and 6s, for example, so long as I'm not their prey for latching onto; if I am, it's like I can feel their breath on the back of my neck, even though they're in the other room.

3s intrigue me the most, I think, as there is something rather independent/dependent about them and the drive they have to succeed. I don't particularly have that drive -- it might come out on a very rare occasion -- but to watch them in their zone, and the buzz they get out of it, fascinates me.

Looking back on my life, I think I've encountered more 7s and 3s in my circle of past relationships. Maybe there's a hint of confidence they bring to the atmosphere. I don't necessarily latch onto their energy, but I know that if I need something in the outer world, 7s and 3s seem to be the best people to turn to if I reluctantly accept I can't do something alone.

·
Registered
ISTP 5w4 sx/sp 584
1,376 Posts
I am attracted to female 8. I don't know why, but they provide a challenge for me to accomplish and are no bullshit. Plus, they're assertive, so that's hot to me.

·
Registered
ISTP 5w6
3,225 Posts
Somehow 7's got that energetic aura thing..

It just somehow makes me happy.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I don't know if I can say I have a particular that I am most attracted to, but from my dating experience. I have dated type 9, type 7, type 1 and type 5.

Type 9 is who I am currently dating. We give each other a good deal of independence and can be comfortable around each other. He's not obnoxiously emotional or needy/controlling. He's very supportive and almost seems like he can read my mind. We don't have to say much to each other to feel that we have an understanding. We do have our differences here or there though, and so, it becomes important to remember to communicate how we actually feel to each other. Otherwise, we'd be taking having each other there for granted.

Type 7 was very good at getting me out of my shell. He wanted to do everything together. Exercise, make food, travel. I definitely felt like I had his attention and love, but he seemed very needy. I liked having space when I went to work or when he disappeared to practice guitar. I liked how he supported my interests. If I was reading a book, he'd have me read the book out loud to him or would talk to me about it. The relationship became long distance and didn't work for obvious reasons.

Type 1 and I got along very well. It was a very healthy relationship with a good balance between having too much and too little space. The only complaint I could have was that sometimes he came across as prudish. He had his opinions about things, and it could be hard to deter him away from them. I respected his ability to stick to his beliefs, but it made me feel like the odd man out for wanting to drink, experiment in the bedroom, etc.

Dating the same type can be beneficial because of the similarities, but it can, also, be boring because of the same routines day in and day out. Can give a lot of space or stay away from trying out new things. I had a great connection and similar interests with the 5 that I dated, but it is important to be able to make experiences and grow while with each other. We could talk for hours about topics, but every day was predictable. I purposely put myself in uncomfortable situations to learn/experience, and my type 5 partner surprised me by getting out of his shell on occasion.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Type 2's for sure. They seem to be one of the few types that will put up with my quirks. I'm too messy for 1's, not cool enough for 3's, won't put up with 8's. I'm too cautious for 7's. And 9's are too placid for my temperament.

·
Registered
2 Posts
For me it has always been type 9's. Many of my friends are 9's, my crushes were 9's and my current boyfriend is a 9. I guess I love their acceptance and find them very good listeners.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts