Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are some common themes in your dreams and nightmares? I've had trouble determining whether I'm a 6 or a 4, but when I consider the themes in my dreams, they all seem to deal with 6 issues of security and protection. For example, I have tons of tornado dreams--though I'm not particularly fearful of actual tornadoes. I also have a recurring dream where I am bitten by a snake or something poisonous and no one will take me to the hospital. I repeatedly ask my family and friends for help but they tell me I'm fine and don't need to go. I am always hysterical, feeling utterly helpless and never seem to be able to help myself. I also have a lot of dreams where I am late for something important. In general, my dreams center around a lack of control of the situation, imminent danger or negative consequences, and a lack of protection and safety.

So I'm curious: do you think that dreams can legitimately help us determine and understand our type? What are your most common dreams?

·
Banned
1,824 Posts
That's a good question. I generally take the form of a 7w8 in my dreams--I'm always sort of a con-artist, and I spend a lot of my time running away from...I don't know what. (Since discovering I was a 7, I told myself I shouldn't run but fight...and then I mowed my enemies down with an M-16 assault rifle. Then I realized I'd rather keep running, because the joy and pleasure is in that experience.) This has been common throughout my life and now that I know what I am, I realize it was a major clue to my real type.

Even the times in my life when I was acting non-7ish, I knew this was how I am deep down.

So, it's true in my case. I do believe dreams can put us in type with our core fixations--mine tend to fixate around 6, 7, and 8 issues--but primarily 7 ones. I'd love to hear from others!

·
MOTM January 2013
10,623 Posts
I do think that dreams are a representation of what we are going through in real life. Everything that is stored away in our subconcious, comes out in our dreams.
As for myself, I see to have a lot of recurring dreams, they usually involve being in a dangerous situation. The frequently involve heights or war scenes in places where I have been in the past. I had a dream where I was back at school and a war was taking place on the school grounds, I had to get away and I turned into another soldier elbowing myself along the ground avoiding missiles and bombs, it was like being at a nazi war camp, trying to hide away from the nazi's.
I have also been told that im do a lot of physical stuff in my sleep like reaching out to hit someone which unfortunately i've done. Sleepfighting - I also have dreams about a bully from my past and that im in an argument with her and I reach out to hit her but my arm turns to jelly and then I try to speak and shout at her but I lose my voice and her figure disappears into the distance. I have a good feeling what these dreams mean but they still disturb me.

·
Registered
42 Posts
do you think that dreams can legitimately help us determine and understand our type? What are your most common dreams?
I've wondered that too! Yesterday I had dreams about Mummies, and how i had to keep the mummy mummified :D it was scary to dream but fun to wake up to

I'm not sure, because my dreams are rather brutal. There's a lot of murder and killing, I'm also often running and I seem never to be caught up with. Whenever something dangerous happens, it seems that all the people that kept me safe disappeared as well, and all of a sudden i was on my own and running.. But also sometimes when I am forced into a corner, I do fight instead of flight. So I guess there is a resemblance.

I also had a dream when one of the people I really cared about was in danger, and the man who was attacking them came to attack me instead. All of a sudden I had a knife and I ended up killing the man as protection for my people and myself. :/

I have a reoccurring dream of me on horseback, riding around in circles as it seems. Which can resemble the 6s always returning to some kind of starting point (reassurance?).

·
MOTM January 2013
10,623 Posts
@daphnezyz
I have a reoccurring dream of me on horseback, riding around in circles as it seems. Which can resemble the 6s always returning to some kind of starting point (reassurance?).
Is this horse familiar? What are the surroundings like? Do you think you are running in circles in an aspect of your real life? As you mentioned, do you think that you are looking for reassurance, do you feel the horse scene is most probably related to that?

·
Banned
3,145 Posts
I wonder what @Stephen has to say about this.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Is this horse familiar? What are the surroundings like? Do you think you are running in circles in an aspect of your real life? As you mentioned, do you think that you are looking for reassurance, do you feel the horse scene is most probably related to that?
The horse is somewhat familiar.. HUGE horse.. somewhat like this Shire horse - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia in black. First I see the horse in a stall and I climb on, ride on the fields then into a hostel. Then the hostel turns into the lounge where there are people fighting, and I just ride along in a circle around them and then go outside onto the field again..

I suppose I have felt I have been in circles. But right now I feel stuck, more like I hit a wall.

Do you see something in it?

·
MOTM January 2013
10,623 Posts
So you go from scene to scene riding on this horse. And you recognise this horse. How does it make you feel riding this horse? Powerful, secure, frightened. Can you control the horse or does the ride feel out of your hands? When you climbed this horse, did you feel confident doing this? The size of the horse seems to be an indicator but in dreams, things are exaggerated etc. How much significance does this horse have? I can't help but think of the horse as an enabler, that helps you to get to where you need to get to.

It sounds like some issue circling around your head or maybe something you cannot leave behind. I could be wrong.

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
I've already posted some of my dreams on this site before when this question was raised in a slightly different manner towards all Enneagram types.

My nightmares have to do with me being utterly helpless. No control. There's hostility. Everything is unsure. Often I will try and turn to other people that usually can help me, but due to the circumstances (whatever those may be), they cannot. And I cannot do a thing. I mentioned how I have "star" dreams. I don't know if they really count as nightmares. But I will always be noticing the stars, and there will be this overwhelming, suffocating feeling of, "Something isn't right. Something is different." And I know that something much larger than me that I cannot control is happening. I am utterly helpless. And while there's a feeling of awe and majesty present, there's fear. I wake up, and there is usually a feeling of both awe and a really bad feeling in my gut - the feeling you have when you know something bad is going to happen. And it hangs with me for a long time.

·
Registered
42 Posts
So you go from scene to scene riding on this horse. And you recognise this horse. How does it make you feel riding this horse? Powerful, secure, frightened. Can you control the horse or does the ride feel out of your hands? When you climbed this horse, did you feel confident doing this? The size of the horse seems to be an indicator but in dreams, things are exaggerated etc. How much significance does this horse have? I can't help but think of the horse as an enabler, that helps you to get to where you need to get to.

It sounds like some issue circling around your head or maybe something you cannot leave behind. I could be wrong.

Well I horsebackride in real life too :D
I love horses, and yes I feel secure on the horse. I control the horse and it obeys me. I feel that horsebackriding has a huge connection between the horse and the rider.. having some sort of relationship/connection makes both comfortable. I am comfortable climbing onto horses. I believe that that is the way my ideal horse is.. I find that type of horse to be very beautiful and "perfect".

I can see your connection with an "enabler" but I'm not sure to what..
There's a lot of things I circle around I think and can't leave behind. So you are right.
But there's been changes in my life and I'm finally learning to let go and to force myself to not think about certain things.

·
MOTM January 2013
10,623 Posts
@julia Bell
This sounds like something that has been going on in someway in your life. Maybe you have been let down when you most needed and that has impacted you. Sounds like you have strong intuition anyway, you are aware of whats going on around you, vibes etc. Also sounds like some subconcious anxiety going on aswell.

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
@julia Bell
This sounds like something that has been going on in someway in your life. Maybe you have been let down when you most needed and that has impacted you. Sounds like you have strong intuition anyway, you are aware of whats going on around you, vibes etc. Also sounds like some subconcious anxiety going on aswell.
I think it has more to do with anxiety than anything else. Well, I suppose I am pretty aware. ^^ Thank you. Hmm... The strange thing is the feeling of awe. It's like I'm scared but being drawn to something. There sometimes is a feeling of "scared but awed" in my dreams sometimes.

·
THE IRON GIANT
10,129 Posts
I wonder what @Stephen has to say about this.
I don't see much of a pattern in my dreams lately. I usually don't remember them at all. When I do remember them, they aren't usually terribly upsetting. When I was young I had a lot of nightmares. Also night terrors, talking in my sleep, sleepwalking, all of it.

·
fire breathing dragon
2,810 Posts
I rarely dream or have nightmares. When I do however there is always some form or danger or loss of control in them. They are never happy or fun. Sometimes I'm falling, sometimes I am running away from a killer. I have lucid dreams every once in a while and I really don't like them. Sometimes Im not always completely asleep and I am aware of the environment around me and I can phase in and out of a dream like state. Once I experienced sleep paralysis and my brain woke up while my body was still asleep. That really freaked me out.

I think my dreams do illustrate my type. Loss of control and security, fear and anxiety. I hate all of those things. Im actually always aware that I am dreaming and will wake myself up the moment I dont like the dream.

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
My dreams are usually in dangerous situations as well. Wars, natural disasters, murders, I could go on. Usually though, the dream isn't directly involving me. It's harming me by forcing me to watch the pain of others and not be able to do anything. I had a dream once that I was in a torture facility and my torture was helplessly watching the brutal torture of others. Also, my dreams tend to be manifestations of anything that could possibly go wrong in my real life, as well as representations of the events in my life and my thoughts/feelings/actions that are affecting me.

Reactions: mushr00m

·
Registered
58 Posts
What are some common themes in your dreams and nightmares?
All my nightmares are typically about, confirming to the #6 stereotype, dangerous situations. I particularly remember what I felt was a prophetic nuclear-attack-dream at age 6. Other nightmares at this age was being poisoned through food (and the perpetrator half-way morphing into a Demon (like the feeling you can get when looking into a mirror... basically like this except nastier) at so realizing), my mom stabbing me with a knife (a recurring theme), and ghosts and Demons up to age 16 or so. The worst nightmares I have - thinking about it right now gave me goosebumps, is the dreams of the Demon, ghost, psychopath (mother) or whatever malevolent creature chasing you, and for some reason you run in vacuumed space or something all of a sudden, and investing all energy into a desperate attempt to get away, but in vain - the creature gets you.
The last kind of nightmare is slightly more real and occult: sleep paralysis[/URL]. (btw, after starting practicing I-Ching and more, I've started to notice funny and interesting answers in my 'music playlist'. Basically I ask for a question or have a specific mood or so, click enter so a new random/shuffled song is played, and the song usually has a relevant name or so.. after searching for a picture for sleep paralysis I was affected by the pictures of Demons.. Demons and related occult phenomenon are pretty much the only thing that scares me.. because they're real xd anyway, the song I got was "breathless" by the prototypes. "funny"..)

However, nightmares are extremely uncommon for me nowadays. I [U]love[/U] my dreams, as I use them or they give me insight and inspiration into understanding things & issues & stuff. I especially love my magical dreams: supernatural abilities, sometimes leaving Earth etc, sometimes fighting a very evil cult/secret corporation (and I swear [I]these[/I] guys exist in real life :P), which resonates alot with [URL="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GaF5GzTJTFA#t=08m04s"]Shinra HQ[/URL] from Final Fantasy VII in concept (PERFECT resonance with the music!), and sometimes/somewhat often entering haunted houses, which always have many doors and rooms - which I usually conquer nowadays, but used to utterly lose to in childhood.

I also wanna share a funny & I'm sure charming technique I invented in childhood (about age 6 or so) to wake up & escape from nightmares: when I realized the dream was a nightmare/something bad was gonna happen, I pushed the start button which opened a menu and froze the nightmare, and chose exit, then answered "yes" to the question "are you sure?", and woke up :D
Unfortunately the evil nightmare-games were patched ;) soon enough, and the first level of patches was that the dream could suddenly start unpausing even while the menu was open :(
Next level was that it never paused at all or rarely, and I had to exit before something bad happened.
And the last level of patching was when the menu didn't work anymore - it had been glitched, and it just switched back to the menu, asked me "are you sure", and went again back to the menu :(
Cool story though.

Still influenced by the fear or "paranoia" of being haunted by Demons/bad spirits or so at the moment, I got anxious hearing a sound from outside - it sounds like a CD player trying to play a bad CD, or a frog doing its thing, or some such thing.
So I put my headphones on and played a song, expecting a relevant song title. Song: "imagination" by Jello.

Btw I'm 6w5, 1w9, 3w2, and I think SP, SX.
And blessings for this night would be appreciated xD

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
Resurrecting this thread because I simply didn't feel like recreating one just like it. I had a dream recently that seemed extremely related to being a type Six. Specifically a phobic type Six, I think. To give some context, I had just come home after a long week of staying in a place with no AC in extraordinarily hot weather, staying up late and waking up early, but at the same time spending amazing time with all of my closest friends. A week of socialization and bonding that I very rarely get. I came home and was pondering all these things. I had been busy before this week, and was pretty glad to be home finally. When I walked into my room, it turned out my mother and my sister had redecorated it for me as a surprise. It was gorgeous. I was super happy.

So there's the context. After winding down, I went to bed pretty dang early because I was so sleep deprived. When I fell asleep, I immediately fell into this nightmare. Everybody from that epic week of socialization was there. Except they were different. All of them were similar to how they had been, but they had changed into something hostile. I would walk up to somebody I completely trusted, and they would break that trust. Even the adults, the ones that were people I greatly respected and looked up to. I was abused mentally and physically and in awful ways. Some of it too disgusting to put here. They all said to me, "You're that type of person," or something like that. It wasn't the words they said, but the fact that they kept on repeating it.

It was so bad that my dream started "fighting back". You know, that moment in a nightmare where you're so disturbed your brain tries to take control and steer it in another direction. I thought to myself: It's okay, this is a dream, I can protect myself and my friends (even though they were currently betraying me). But then the whole nightmare would loop again, nothing would change. They'd still go back to abusing me.

It doesn't sound as bad as some peoples' nightmares, but to me when I woke up, it effected me powerfully. Probably because of my emotional state. During the week away from home, I tried so many new things and became a better person in many ways. I came out of my comfort zone and learned that I was much more capable than I thought. But I expected to come home to familiarity. I guess I was just thrown off balance somehow. I tried going back to sleep after realizing that it had just been a nightmare, but as soon as I started sinking back to sleep, I saw the images replaying and the nightmare restarting. So I forced myself up again.

I walked out of my room and down the stairs. I saw outside our sliding glass door what I thought was one of the figures from my dream standing there, looking at me with the same look they had given me in my nightmare. It turned out it was just my distorted reflection. From there I walked into my parents room. My mom was just reading, like she always does before she goes to bed. I realized that I had only been asleep for one hour.

I ended up calming down, but I did cry quite a bit. I was completely mentally and physically exhausted, and I don't remember ever having a nightmare so terrifying.

·
Registered
915 Posts
I have distinct themes. Many water dreams involving rivers and oceans primarily. The water has to do with peace or turbulence. Either a tsunami comes and I'm running away or pulled back at knee level. It's this powerful low water wave that is frankly creepy. I had those before heard of tsunamis.

I've had ocean dreams with tidal waves, and storms, and it was overwhelming. And I've had dreams where there is a forest fire or volcano erupting and I've made it to a river and I'm just waiting for death, and the anticipation is pretty lonely and painful.

Then I've had dreams where all those elements are friendly. Where I can go with the flow of a river. Or, I can just deal with that element.

And another thing I had to overcome in my mind was flying. At one point I was crashing into things, falling and sinking in the ocean, or flying into trees and telephone wires. I finally overcame and was able to fly and even go through mazes of telephone wires. Both really relate to my life because I have cowered in some ways or been overwhelmed. Whichever the word to describe mainly summed up in "i can't". And I went from that to just trying despite it. And doing that whether in dream or waking states, if it intimidated me or not. Just dealing with it.

Another dream I had when I was 3 or 4 years old, was kind of intense for a little kid. And basically I was sitting in one of those pull out seats they used to have in station wagons. The ones kind of in the trunk area facing the end of the car. And my family is all facing forward and just focused on the destination. And we start driving through a cave or tunnel. And I notice all these grey people outside. Like grey spirits that were hunched over in agony. Whether in the dirt or rocks. And I tried to tell my parents and they didn't listen.(As what happens quite often at that age when you have a ton of siblings. ) And though it frightened me, and I wanted to just be with my family, and not pay attention I had to look. And looking turned into floating out and being there. And it was the most agonizing place. Like a deep despair of hopelessness. And at first I felt that way. And felt among them. And then I pried myself up. And saw a light at the end of the tunnel. And then I told some of those who were around me about it. Pretty intense dream for a kid. I remember it and have used it in a poem once. And basically, I felt like it had to do with my life. To leave my comfort zone when I saw someone struggling.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I often have that "observer" feeling in my dreams.

There's this one where I was in some supermarket and this man suddenly raised his gun and started shooting everyone. But somehow, he did not seem to notice me even though I was standing at an obvious place the whole time. I was just watching the whole thing happen. However, it was still really terrifying o_o

There's another one where 3 girls are trying to escape this torture chamber (like Saw) and there are many traps set up (which they all die from). And I didn't know where I was. I was just watching them die (oh how sadistic T_T) as if I'm a fly in the air.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Hmm. Common themes in my nightmares/dreams?

Well first off, I actually don't believe I have had a nightmare for many years---since the beginning of high school or possibly even middle school. This is not to say I don't have "bad dreams" that have some sort of dreadful element, but I don't know the last time a dream scared me shitless. I only consider those kind of dreams "nightmares". Of course when I was younger, I was more susceptible to terrifying dreams, but that's just my opinion on things.

Anyhow, there is certainly an underlying E6 element to the worse of my dreams. It's very often that I will have dream where something, somewhere possesses some kind of physical threat to me. It's not always life-threatening such as the time I dreamt about swimming in an empty pool and some fish head jumped off this silver platter by the poolside and into the water and started to chase me. What in the world could that fish head do to me? No clue, but I just had to get away from it. However whenever I have this kind of dream, it takes all my energy to just put distance between me and the threatening object/person/fish head/whatever. However, my movements are slow and sluggish as if I am trying to wade through quicksand. This means I don't normally escape in my dreams (as in that conclusion only happens maybe 5% of the time), but I always wake up just when I think it's all over and I am done for. Sometimes, I just abruptly jump into another dream as in another setting with other characters with no recollection of the previous dream. Yet even when that happens, the sense of dread still follows me around and I usually run into yet another threat that I once again must distance myself from.

Now for more specific reoccurring themes, I have sometimes have dreams with tornadoes that I must avoid, bathrooms I must find, with jumping/flying abilities, and... okay, I am having troubles remembering all the different themes I commonly experience.

The jumping/flying dreams are usually the best though. I don't think I have had one for at least a year, but they are always the most thrilling because I have a superpower in which I can essentially fly by making long jumps into the air and jumping again while in midair (very much a video game technique). Sometimes, though, these dreams turn for the worse as I have to escape something, avoid touching the ground because of whatever doom awaits me, or I start to loose my flying power. This always particularly sucks because of how much I was enjoying myself before the feeling of dread invade my dream.

My bathroom dreams are the strangest though. I had a lot of them last year. You would think that they keep on reoccurring because I have to really pee or something during the the middle of the night. That's like never the case though. I believe my bathroom dreams preside more on insecurity than anything else. You see, I often have to journey through extremely large buildings to find a bathroom. They can be very large yet empty bathrooms with stainless steel and "high-technology" toilets. They can be stalless bathrooms or bathrooms with only half a door or no door at all. Sometimes they're extremely dirty, but they're usually rather clean. Sometimes, the bathroom is more like a locker room and there's stream and girls everywhere. Sometimes they're co-ed bathrooms but usually not. Sometimes I am taken back to my dream version of the bathrooms at my middle school Other times, the bathrooms are in government buildings or the "local gym" (not the actual local gym where I live). Either way, this is a reoccurring setting with the reoccurring theme that I must find one or the right one because even when I reach the bathroom it's not right. I have to continue on searching.

If anyone can psychoanalyze that, I would be greatly impressed.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts