Personality Cafe banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are type A and B personality relationships able to last long term?

·
Registered
6,008 Posts
What are those?

·
Registered
3,309 Posts
Thats a good question.

Im going to do something ridiculous here and intertwine the Big 5, personal experiences and the fact that people are extremely complex :D

Personally, I would identify as the A and from my point of view, some traits of the B that could be a source of stress are laziness, lack of cleanliness, addictions (anything from drugs to tv), lack of a work ethic, flakiness, general carelessness and lack of consideration, airheadedness and so on.

This divide is essentially the same as comparing a conscientious and an unconscientious person in the Big 5 - the conscientious person will be annoyed by the traits I described and the unconscientious person will be annoyed by the "strict" and "unreasonable" demands. Im just guessing about the perspective of the unconscientious person though, thats what I have simply observed.

I think that the problem in this kind of relationship would be a peculiar combination of state of mind, acceptance and willingness to change. The conscientious person will probably need to reduce their standards and learn how to live with a bit of chaos. The unconscientious person on the other hand would do well to develop some conscientiousness and to clean up after themselves.

This is all pretty basic relationship stuff - making compromises, communicating needs, understanding, adapting and so on. I learned a lot of it from everyone's favourite psychologist, Jordan Peterson :D, Im not an expert. I would say that a couple who is similar on the conscientiousness scale has a better chance of working out because there isnt the friction of differing ways of life.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Presumably if they're already in a relationship they could work long term by continuing to do what it took to get there in the first place.

I dislike the term 'type A' but it's not a stretch to put me in the category. I score very high on conscientiousness on the Big 5 (89%) and my MBTI nature is very 'TJ': I HATE irresponsibility, laziness and chaos. I stopped dating someone who couldn't find his keys, for that reason. It's nails on chalkboard stuff for me. And it runs the risk of me being asked/having to 'step in' (to fix his deficiency) and that's too Mommy for my taste so just, no. But I would never get in a relationship with someone who wasn't like me in this regard.

However, some people are into 'opposites' and compromising in big ways and the resulting dynamics that come about from that though. So I can see it being possible to make it long term if they can make it past the initial/dating stage in the first place.

·
Registered
5,248 Posts
I'm about 50/50 and so is my husband and it works out nicely.

My brother is B and his girlfriend is A and they seem to balance each other nicely as well.

I'm guessing B-B and A-A are a little harder. If both people are B... who makes sure the bills are paid? If both A... who demands the impromptu road trips?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts