Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Going to keep this brief. This post can potentially aid other NTP's on a similar path. I want to create a brainstorming platform of techniques/methods to aid an ENTP in navigating through a professional life/ or leading a successful life in general.

I am definitely type 8(enneagram) but ease into a slight 7 mode at times. I'm wondering how other 8w7 Entps are and the way they manage themselves. For me I am very Ti dominated and I have been told I am very structured and I plan alot despite the fact I wing nearly everything on the last min. Its a natural tendency to have a rough structural layout before executing, to ensure you win.

So here are my questions:

1) how do you de-stress or get out of the mobalized funk of work/work/work?
2) how do you keep track of your roles and responsibilities?
3) how do you put your ego aside and know when to chill when things aren't going your way?
4) how do you take disrespect?
5) how does being professional impact your Ne? does a lack of Ne exercise create a void? After all we are creative

I am going back to work in a week, and I work 14-16 hours a day at work or on my business. Most of my "workers" are freelance and outsourced to 4/5 countries(mostly china) but time off to just work on business and not professional work has done some good for mental health.

·
Banned
4,281 Posts
So here are my questions:
Hey man. I am 7w8 so unsure if this skews the stats for ya.
I am a foreman at a specialty fiber optic shop. Decent pay and lots of
freedom to invent and design as well as staff management and all of what
that entails.

The most simple item I have figured out is time for myself everyday no matter the situation.
No matter how busy work and home life. I take at least an hour or two a day for just straight
selfish reasons. What that hour entails is optional. Mostly I lose myself in a game or anime.

I married an ESFJ. I have a secretary who I can assume is an (ISFJ maybe and ESFJ) Problem solved.
So essentially, by design, I have surrounded myself with a supporting cast.

3) how do you put your ego aside and know when to chill when things aren't going your way?
Life experience has taught me to slow down the knee jerk reactions. They usually do more harm than good.
Respecting what others have to offer even though it may not jive with your ideas is a reality all
ENTP must face. We are not the masters of anything. We are still just a piece of the puzzle. I accept
it and move forward.
Not very well at all. Then I stop and consider the source of disrespect and
justify it for the person or allow them the leeway to vent as it may be cathartic
for them to do so. If it is over the line? It can become a mental sparring match but
I can deescalate people and myself pretty well.
5) how does being professional impact your Ne? does a lack of Ne exercise create a void? After all we are creative
Yes this can be an issue. I usually get very unproductive when I have only routine work to do.
Grin and bare it. Life is not all rainbows and lollipops. If I was highly Ne active all the time that
would be another problem on its own. A balance is required.

My job is essentially made for ENTP. All the items they say ENTP would like in a
workplace is my work place. It is the only reason I have stayed at this company for 12
years now. Before that I would work at a place as long as it took me to learn what
I thought was worth it then I would quit.

Also, when you have kids...they take a lot of the options above and almost make them
irrelevant. You do well by your children at the cost of what you would prefer. That
said ...what I prefer was a good childhood for my children so it was easy to forgo
some of those items and have no issue doing it.

·
Banned
2,244 Posts
I've run my own business for 20+ yrs, I'd be happy to answer questions, but I don't think MBTI has any relevance. I've no clue about wings though, 8w7 is engine oil to me. I've learned discipline, so I can be ENTJ-ish to get things done, tough I'm actually closer to ENFP.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Going to keep this brief. This post can potentially aid other NTP's on a similar path. I want to create a brainstorming platform of techniques/methods to aid an ENTP in navigating through a professional life/ or leading a successful life in general.
Sounds like something I can use. Will contribute.

I drink. Or do other things similar to drinking. But if it's unacceptable to do either in the moment, I use a meditation technique I learned. Basically I blank out and halt all thoughts. Give my brain a breather.

If I can't remember them I will leave the item that requires doing in a space that I know I will visit. Or I will write a post-it note in a space that I know I will visit. I will also set timers using.. timers, my cell phone, google, google home, echo dot, whatever will be annoying and grab my attention is a useful tool for remembering things.

I have problems with this, but only the small things. Big things are challenges. Small things are annoyances that add up and snowball if you let them.

Not well. Not well at all. In certain situations, I find that disrespect should be met with violence. In most situations I dish it back out verbally.

Being professional is just a game face for me. I don't think it impacts my intuition at all. I just withhold more of my persona in professional settings.

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
I had a business at one stage i dropped it suddenly it was a waste of time.
I'm in the process of starting another

I'm ether work mode or relax mode. Work fast get shit done then relax for a bit then repeat. Have to be self employed or contractor. cant work directly under anyone. They give me the shits.

What ever is immediate priority

I don't. I get pissed off at inefficiency and being boxed in. If its a mechanical problem i fix it

Let them know i'm not happy in a direct but non argumentative way

I have to improvise solutions to problems. Also i play in a band (creative out let)

·
Registered
26 Posts
I am a young entp but I've done a lot of anylizing and was raised by an intj...

I usually write music with or without a infp friend or read books that fuel my knowledge.

I keep lists on my phone and set reminders if its really important. google keep app is the bomb for keeping lists.

I usually try to plan ahead so that I always have the freedom to separate myself from a situation that I can't control. if I am stuck in a bad situation ill usually start reading on my phone. but as hard as it is a lot of the time its best to stay quiet.

I usually try to anylize and see if they did so on purpose and if they did I let them have it. if its not on purpose I try to shut up but usually end up being sarcastic and passive aggressive.

I have multipule creative outlets. I play music, I paint, I do photography, I do videography. but when I'm forced to be "professional" I use my creativity to play with peoples minds and that ends up being pretty satisfying.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Appreciate the responses.
@yentipeee - what kind of responsibilities does it entail, skills of energy management? and how the fuck did you stick to something that long?

Currently I am dealing with contract and settlement issues between clients and it is utter bullsh*t. Went to law school to find myself working 80 hours a week on other peoples issues. Holiday over and business has burnt to the ground it was not sustainable with my current lack of time and it was a quick fix cash that wouldn't last long. Modern life and its success is an empty promise. I know I am doing something wrong, or else I wouldn't be soo tired and exhausted.

·
Banned
2,244 Posts
Appreciate the responses.
@yentipeee - what kind of responsibilities does it entail, skills of energy management? and how the fuck did you stick to something that long?

Currently I am dealing with contract and settlement issues between clients and it is utter bullsh*t. Went to law school to find myself working 80 hours a week on other peoples issues. Holiday over and business has burnt to the ground it was not sustainable with my current lack of time and it was a quick fix cash that wouldn't last long. Modern life and its success is an empty promise. I know I am doing something wrong, or else I wouldn't be soo tired and exhausted.
Have you thought of doing something more to your liking? I stuck with it because it offers variety, freedom from corporate office politics, and "retirement" in my 40s.

·
Registered
ENTP 8w7 sx/so
965 Posts
I'm a 7w8 ENTP and these are all things I have struggled with at work in the past and still do. In fact, I am very organized and sometimes that is a problem because I will waste time over-organizing, likely as a form of procrastination. I have been able to indulge this habit (Type A personality) for longer than I should have as it is easy for our type to thrive under tight deadlines and sail through under stress or BS our way through (sure none of you know what I'm talking about here). :wink:

This used to be a bigger problem as I was a poor sleeper because of work. So, actually, making sure I sleep well (I use meditation, regular bedtimes, regular exercise etc.) has made it easier to de-stress during the day and get out of a funk when it happens. Otherwise, setting aside more work and having a drink with a friend or simply being outside (a hike) helps remind me there is a whole world out there.

This is hard. I have actually started asking for help with this, something that was also always hard for me (super independent person). After meetings, I assign roles and responsibilities and e-mail them to people, and have people check in with me, and when I tell someone I will do something, I say "If you haven't heard from me about this in x days, please follow-up via e-mail or drop by my office, etc.". This has helped me not drop the ball as often because I have so much going on all the time. I promise too much sometimes.

This is hard too, because I know I can do something, so I take on too much, then I stress myself out and don't do as well as I should. Sometimes I just apologize when things are late (which is embarrassing) as a method to make myself realize how shitty that feels and as a tool to not do it again. I also use it as a constructive tool to just say "It didn't work this time, but I am going to make it work next time." For example, some of the things on my list for 2016 didn't happen, so I transitioned them to 2017 and had a sit down with my boss about why I failed to execute them and how I planned to get them done during the 2017 year.

Actually, I realized a while ago that disrespect has almost nothing to do with me and everything to do with the person. I will very calmly confront the person who is disrespecting me and point out how it makes me feel* which I think often sets them straight pretty quickly. If you also get mad or disrespectful it feeds into it. For example, I had a guy at work who was upset about something and yelling at me. I said, "When you yell at me like that and swear, it actually makes me really anxious and nervous. I don't know if your intention is to scare me but that is what is happening." He was horrified. Another few people were using their phones at meetings and when I was planning talk at my meeting I started by putting my phone away and saying in a joking way, "I'm psyched to talk to you guys today, and I think it's even going to be more interesting than what's on my Instagram, so I'm even going so far as to put my phone in my bag for this meeting." By demonstrating that behavior they all either imitated it because they agreed or felt compelled by peer pressure to:)

I find lots of ways to exercise my Ne at work, but a lot of people don't like it as they are fine with sticking with the known - it is probably why I talk too much in meetings. In terms of work overall, I can't do the 9-5 thing, so I right now have 2 jobs with a total of 3 positions within those 2 spheres, and that keeps me entertained (with a flexible summer schedule to work internationally for half of that). So, I'm flexing that Ne in the best way I know how.

Thanks for the post - this is interesting to see how everyone is managing this. I definitely feel that low percentage represented in the work world. Especially when I am sitting in meetings and I hear something and listen the replies from around the table and am like "Didn't anyone else hear what I just heard???!??" Whaaaaaa???

*I should note here that I say "how it makes me feel" but usually I don't feel upset or angry or anything, but I am structuring it the most efficient way to get through to the person I am speaking to, and this is usually effective.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Have you thought of doing something more to your liking? I stuck with it because it offers variety, freedom from corporate office politics, and "retirement" in my 40s.

If I didn't lol I wouldn't consider myself and ENTP >.< Currently trying to plan my escape lol, corporate life is too synthetic and very passive aggressive. Hence why I am trying to launch a form of residual income with whatever free time I have. Worst comes to worse, I fail enough start ups to land a solid one with a great deal of success and I leave the fucking firm.

Btw with regards to de-stressing, I have tried those colouring apps(didn't work), tried to write a short novel piece(didn't work) sketched(didn't work) listened to classical music(didn't work). Then I realised, my cns is just used up. With some research and experimentation I have found a bypass. Here goes:

The theory is high CNS usage from heavy lifting is a result of the use of adrenaline/high stress to perform the task. This can also be applied at work with a decent amount of stress but prolonged over ridiculous hours. Efficient heavy lifters are able to switch into adrenal state during a lift and tap out when needed. This saves CNS consumption=more CNS usage left. This means useless energy or cns capacity is being used in the office due to reactive stress, and more can be accomplished without it.

This means if I can control the adrenal response 2 things happen a) more work gets done because I am not stressed b) I have more energy to focus on other work after work - 2 birds with one fucking STONE!

It should take 28 days of consistent meditation to rewire the brain to shrink the amygdala.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm a 7w8 ENTP and these are all things I have struggled with at work in the past and still do. In fact, I am very organized and sometimes that is a problem because I will waste time over-organizing, likely as a form of procrastination. I have been able to indulge this habit (Type A personality) for longer than I should have as it is easy for our type to thrive under tight deadlines and sail through under stress or BS our way through (sure none of you know what I'm talking about here). :wink:

This used to be a bigger problem as I was a poor sleeper because of work. So, actually, making sure I sleep well (I use meditation, regular bedtimes, regular exercise etc.) has made it easier to de-stress during the day and get out of a funk when it happens. Otherwise, setting aside more work and having a drink with a friend or simply being outside (a hike) helps remind me there is a whole world out there.

This is hard. I have actually started asking for help with this, something that was also always hard for me (super independent person). After meetings, I assign roles and responsibilities and e-mail them to people, and have people check in with me, and when I tell someone I will do something, I say "If you haven't heard from me about this in x days, please follow-up via e-mail or drop by my office, etc.". This has helped me not drop the ball as often because I have so much going on all the time. I promise too much sometimes.

This is hard too, because I know I can do something, so I take on too much, then I stress myself out and don't do as well as I should. Sometimes I just apologize when things are late (which is embarrassing) as a method to make myself realize how shitty that feels and as a tool to not do it again. I also use it as a constructive tool to just say "It didn't work this time, but I am going to make it work next time." For example, some of the things on my list for 2016 didn't happen, so I transitioned them to 2017 and had a sit down with my boss about why I failed to execute them and how I planned to get them done during the 2017 year.

Actually, I realized a while ago that disrespect has almost nothing to do with me and everything to do with the person. I will very calmly confront the person who is disrespecting me and point out how it makes me feel* which I think often sets them straight pretty quickly. If you also get mad or disrespectful it feeds into it. For example, I had a guy at work who was upset about something and yelling at me. I said, "When you yell at me like that and swear, it actually makes me really anxious and nervous. I don't know if your intention is to scare me but that is what is happening." He was horrified. Another few people were using their phones at meetings and when I was planning talk at my meeting I started by putting my phone away and saying in a joking way, "I'm psyched to talk to you guys today, and I think it's even going to be more interesting than what's on my Instagram, so I'm even going so far as to put my phone in my bag for this meeting." By demonstrating that behavior they all either imitated it because they agreed or felt compelled by peer pressure to:)

I find lots of ways to exercise my Ne at work, but a lot of people don't like it as they are fine with sticking with the known - it is probably why I talk too much in meetings. In terms of work overall, I can't do the 9-5 thing, so I right now have 2 jobs with a total of 3 positions within those 2 spheres, and that keeps me entertained (with a flexible summer schedule to work internationally for half of that). So, I'm flexing that Ne in the best way I know how.

Thanks for the post - this is interesting to see how everyone is managing this. I definitely feel that low percentage represented in the work world. Especially when I am sitting in meetings and I hear something and listen the replies from around the table and am like "Didn't anyone else hear what I just heard???!??" Whaaaaaa???

*I should note here that I say "how it makes me feel" but usually I don't feel upset or angry or anything, but I am structuring it the most efficient way to get through to the person I am speaking to, and this is usually effective.
“You are a little soul carrying around a corpse”
― Epictetus < I like it! are you a stoic?

Sexism aside I think if I done this ""When you yell at me like that and swear, it actually makes me really anxious and nervous. I don't know if your intention is to scare me but that is what is happening." < they would wonder where the fuck my balls have gone. My knee jerk reaction is to get violent, not sure if its a guy issue but its seriously hard developing a professional response. It rarely happens, but if someone interrupts or tries passive aggression I just respond "not now please, I'll talk to you later" or stop what I am doing and say "Outside! we need to talk!lets go". Lastly not sure how disrespect has nothing to do with you? Might be wrong but for me its "I set the tone, its my fault if they step out of line".

@Ronney - I can relate alot. I tried google calendar and that shit stresses the fuck out of me! The constantly feeling of needing shit to. Immediate priority seems to work the best for now but its like theres no control over what you choose to put your attention to. How does it work for you?

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
@GeniusOverlord
Circumstances force me to chose the thing that needs to be done. Like if someone is coming to pick up something i'm selling i make sure i have it ready by the time they come to pick it up. One thing that helps is to estimate the time it will take to do something then double the time. Everything takes longer in real life than it does in ya mind

Reactions: GeniusOverlord

·
Registered
ENTP 8w7 sx/so
965 Posts
“You are a little soul carrying around a corpse”
― Epictetus < I like it! are you a stoic?

Sexism aside I think if I done this ""When you yell at me like that and swear, it actually makes me really anxious and nervous. I don't know if your intention is to scare me but that is what is happening." < they would wonder where the fuck my balls have gone. My knee jerk reaction is to get violent, not sure if its a guy issue but its seriously hard developing a professional response. It rarely happens, but if someone interrupts or tries passive aggression I just respond "not now please, I'll talk to you later" or stop what I am doing and say "Outside! we need to talk!lets go". Lastly not sure how disrespect has nothing to do with you? Might be wrong but for me its "I set the tone, its my fault if they step out of line".
I do like the stoics - big Ezy and Marky Aurelius.

I tend to just not take it personally because it is not something to do with me (or something I have done), and I don't want my work situation screwed up. I find the behavior childish so I don't like to indulge in it. I want things to be as productive as possible so that I succeed and waste as little time at work so I can play. If I am out of work and someone disrespects me I usually use humor (that often goes above their head) to make fun of them but leave it at that. If someone threatens me or is aggressive towards a friend, that is an entire different scenario and I have no problem with coming back at them and letting them know it won't likely be a great outcome. People usually back down/off at that point. But I'm not going to do that in a medical clinic or university.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
@GeniusOverlord
Circumstances force me to chose the thing that needs to be done. Like if someone is coming to pick up something i'm selling i make sure i have it ready by the time they come to pick it up. One thing that helps is to estimate the time it will take to do something then double the time. Everything takes longer in real life than it does in ya mind
Lol its the only thing that works well tbh having a dog chase your ass. But there is a lack of control and a need to react to situations(which is my strong point) but you become a leaf being blown in the wind to whatever direction.

I drastically over estimate my abilities and under estimate time. I think I can perform the way I do under severe stress, whilst executing in a normal way is 10x slower. I tend to double the time it takes in my head, or add 30% extra time if it a task I've already done.

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
I'm technically 7w8 but my next is 8w7. My 8 is almost as strong as my 7. In work, I definitely operate as an 8w7. Anyway, I will give you my responses:

1) how do you de-stress or get out of the mobalized funk of work/work/work? I keep eggs in many different baskets (and have different sets of friends) to stimulate different areas of my personality so that it doesn't become all about work. I am involved in a volunteer woman's club (and also am involved in leadership), a leader of daughter's Girl Scout Troop (which uses a surprising amount of Ne to come up with a program for the badges and I have a co-leader that is better with the structural stuff like emails and coordination so she does that), and I often have some sort of creative hobby like knitting or jewelry making going (I start and stop with those). I also have diverse friends. I have friends that I hang out to go to Comic Cons/nerdy movies, have friends to drink coffee with and talk about life, friends to go to art shows/theater/art movies, I have friends that I drink and party with (less of those in my older age); and family activities.

2) how do you keep track of your roles and responsibilities? My iphone is a God-send. Prior to iphones, it was post-its in well placed locations. I set notifications all the time to remind me to email or call people, bring items, etc. This is especially important now that I have kids and have more than just my shit to remember.

3) how do you put your ego aside and know when to chill when things aren't going your way? I am fine with things not going my way, as long as what they are doing it not really stupid and wrong. I'm more likely to go rogue than start bitching they are not doing it my way. I'll let them fall on their faces and then help them go a much better direction later. I might gloat if they fall on their faces (most likely internally not actually to them).

4) how do you take disrespect? I'm fairly straight forward with people who disrespect me or worse, someone else. However, I also do not focus on it either which means something that lets say an ISTJ (my husband's type) would see as disrespect, I would not take it that way. In general, I am not the type to let things lie if it is bothering me; however, I am not someone who knee jerk reacts so often just letting it chill for a bit, I can rationalize my way out of it.

5) how does being professional impact your Ne? does a lack of Ne exercise create a void? After all we are creative Who says your professional life cannot stimulate your Ne. If you are in a career that does not, you are probably in the wrong career. However, I will caveat that with "professional life after being the entry level grunt". The one thing I think NPs can get discouraged with is having to deal with being the grunt and being "directed" before they get established. Almost every career has this period where you are low man on the todem pole. I realized early on in my career that project managers have a lot more flexibility and creativity and if I just take this entry level time as a time to learn and gain experience, it will get me faster down the track. I kind of blew past my colleagues at my level by not bitching about having to do any field activity/task and showing the project managers I could take some responsibilities off their shoulders.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well, co-worker got under my skin and I kicked the f*ck out of him after work. :) Now I have a investigation going on and my job is more or less down the shit hole :) Kind of glad because I feel soo free but I know I'm fucked. So much for a professional life >.< to ghetto for corporate life

·
Banned
4,281 Posts
Well, co-worker got under my skin and I kicked the f*ck out of him after work. :) Now I have a investigation going on and my job is more or less down the shit hole :) Kind of glad because I feel soo free but I know I'm fucked. So much for a professional life >.< to ghetto for corporate life
Wooohh dude. Thats heavy.

I used to fist fight a ton in my youth but as an adult it just seems so nonsensical.
You think he learned something?

I suppose you would have to think that to vindicate it.

I find mentally scarring someone has much longer lasting effects and detriment to
people. That is usually the route I take now. Less narcissist. They dont care what you say.
Them, I could punch.

Anyhow...I am glad you seem.....happy? about it.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

I used to fist fight a ton in my youth but as an adult it just seems so nonsensical.

I find mentally scarring someone has much longer lasting effects and detriment to
people. That is usually the route I take now. Less narcissist. They dont care what you say.
Them, I could punch.

I'm seriously hoping this goes with age, because its really destructive and fucking things up in life for me. lol the dude was raised in a soft environment, probably never been in a fight so it done him good. The first is to never fuck with me again or anyone like me and the second is to be very fucking afraid cause I know where he lives so if I have nothing to loose after I officially loose my job.

I think I have shit ton of cortisol/testosterone/adrenaline when someone gets under my skin, so the witty light hearted intellectual dude switches into a bumbling caveman that tears anything in his fucking way. I would try to mentally scar people but I don't have that composure to destroy someone verbally when I just want to grind my fist through their skull.

Weird entp issue of latent feelings so not sure how I feel but I am pretty much certain that making that moves comes in my favour for these reasons:

a) long term success is a goal of mine, but it feels like I am walking up a hill and dragging 2 boulders on both sides, then long term I will just die inside.

b) too attached to a sense of security with the job. It was very static, mundane, stupid people trying act like best friends with conversations about cliche movies and the restaurants they ate on their day off. Everyday is mild dosages of stress, monotony and very stupid rules.

c) re-touch with self. There is a huge difference working for a company and working for yourself. In the company its very restrictive, forced and each day is just bits of your soul eroding away. Working for yourself, as gruelling as the hours can be under sleep deprivation and poor rest, its a very centred state. There is a state of deep purpose and intrinsic desire to work. It is your territory and most important of all entirely your choice

d) regaining Ne! the thought of finally getting fired kick started my Ne as I brainstormed what to do and what I can do. It made me realise the paths I wanted to take out of passion rather than ego. I had passion but it got closed off the longer I worked gruelling hours and kept a static job. Vision of possibilities become narrow and life appeared to have a dark static tunnel

·
Banned
4,281 Posts
I'm seriously hoping this goes with age, because its really destructive and fucking things up in life for me. lol the dude was raised in a soft environment, probably never been in a fight so it done him good. The first is to never fuck with me again or anyone like me and the second is to be very fucking afraid cause I know where he lives so if I have nothing to loose after I officially loose my job.
I have to admit. If one has not had ones ass kicked at least once they are
missing out. I mean that in all earnest as well. Even if you "win" all your
fights you should be privy to at least one good throw down. It shows
and teaches you a lot. Mainly; that even when you "win" you still hurt
your hand or feel like a dick or whateves. Its empowering to test your mettle.

I do think the main reason I lost my drive to fight was my kids. They
became the priority. When they were really young I still had it in me but
I would step back and think about my wife bringing my kids to the prison
to see me if I really fucked someone up and that usually placated that
concern. Besides...what kind of dad would I be if instead of working
and making money to help my kids out I am in jail making 2bucks a day
while they go without a father figure.

Its not a matter of testosterone. It is a matter of patients, culpability
and factors tied to who is in your life. As mentioned above.
Sure some can have less of a problem with knocking someone the fuck out
but that should not be able to bypass your ability to think and act.
If it is at that point then when and how do you draw the line?
I would feel that like a loss of control and to me a loss of control is
tantamount to mental illness. Not good.

Regarding your work statements. I completely agree with the
running of your own business being an all encompassing thing to do.
That said; It is only like that for a little while IF and thats a big IF
that is the way you want it.

Example. The owner of my company started the company in 1986.
After the first 10 years of working 18 hour days the business got
to a point where by it basically ran itself. He is now working 4 hour days
3 days a week at most. The bum rush to start the business is what
requires the time. Once you set up all of your tools (workers)
you can tune it to be whatever the fuck you need and/or want it
to be.

Stay strong my friend. You have a great head on your shoulders try not
to lose it; okay?

Only ENTP can get excited about losing a job. I always love that.
New is good. New is awesome.

·
Registered
3,940 Posts

Them, I could punch.

Violence in any form does not "teach a lesson" to the other person. It only makes the person committing the violence feel better (for a short time at least). That's why hitting your kids usually doesn't work to discipline them. My mom hit me as a punishment and I can guarantee that I did not keep me from disobeying her in the future (it just made me better at hiding it from her). I could see in her eyes the reason I was being hit was because she couldn't control her anger. What worked better was sending me to my room and then talking to me reasonably when she calmed down about why she didn't want me to do that behavior or thing again.

The issue is that a lot of people can't express themselves until they are screaming their heads off at the other person which usually they are not talking rationally and the person being yelled at has their defenses up so they aren't really listening. So yelling/screaming/fighting at some co-worker because of some issue is usually pointless but if you went somewhere to calm down and then came back later and actually talked to them about what they are doing that was bothering you, they most likely would actually be taught a lesson.

Although I don't have testosterone coursing through my veins and feel the need to puff up my feathers to prove I'm the manliest man, so maybe I can't understand this.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts