Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm wondering if there's a correlation here. As a kid, I was always skeptical of Santa, the Easter bunny, and the tooth fairy. I don't think I ever really believed in any of them. Then again, my parents never really pushed it or made up explanations. They always just asked me, "What do you think?" when I asked, for example, how Santa could have possibly gotten to every house in one night.

I never felt the magical spark surrounding these characters that so many kids did, but I have no idea if this correlates to MBTI, or more to how parents deal with the myth. Thoughts?

·
Registered
244 Posts
I didn't care about the Tooth Fairy nor the Easter Bunny. But Santa -- I believed in him with all my heart! Haha, I was so innocent... I truly believed he existed and I would always defend him when my friends started to tell me that Santa didn't exist. Every year I would wait for him at night and thank him the next morning when I'd see my gifts under the tree. Christmas has always been my favourite time of the year, and Santa would make it even more magical to me! When my parents finally told me that Santa doesn't actually exist I was so broken! I actually cried! But after a few days I eventually accepted that he's not real.

·
Registered
7,672 Posts
When I was in 5th grade, I remember thinking that Santa, being human in appearance, would be slightly more plausible to exist than the Easter Bunny. Not that I had anything against animals. In fact, I was so obsessed with animals that I made it very clear to my parents that I liked Rudolph better than Santa and requested that I got a present from Rudolph instead.

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
When I was much younger, I did believe in Santa Claus. Easter Bunny, other holiday symbols...not so much. Believing just made the holiday a bit more magical. Believing in those figures isn't much different from believing in a god. But I doubt Santa Claus and the Easter Bunny requires much worship to be paid attention to.

·
Registered
3,176 Posts
By the time I was in 4-5 years old (definitely before starting kindergarten), I was having none of that stuff. I was always very observant of what was happening around me... it just didn't make any sense to me and I questioned it hard. Bah, Humbug!

I had a lot of same-age and younger cousins... my parents had to caution me not to spoil things for them. There were several years of wondering who knew and who didn't.

·
Registered
294 Posts
I never beleived in santa..even when I was small..I always thought he was a lie.And to figure that out as I grow older was just like "Oh"

·
Registered
INFP 4w5 sp
5,257 Posts
no one ever tried to convince me to believe in those things, however in elementary school I respected other kid's parent's choices and did not disillusion their children. I knew they'd figure it out in time and might as well let them enjoy the magic while it lasted. I didn't wish my parents had made me believe though because I would have been faaar too disappointed considering how much I would really like there to be magical beings like that.

·
MOTM May 2011
14,041 Posts
I can't remember ever believing in any of those entities - and I can remember a lot of my life from the age of two. I do remember that I wished such things were possible.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
I was far too in the clouds to disbelieve in magic. I don't know how I was absurd enough to believe it, but I did.

Ironically, the year after I was debriefed about Santa, my Mum accidentally left a receipt in my stocking.

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
I definitely believed in Santa, up to the age of eight. That said, I was worried by the idea of this man creeping into my bedroom in the middle of the night. He watches you when you're sleeping, he knows if you've been bad or good, so be good for goodness' sake. Shudder. Mum told me the truth in the end.

When I was quite small, I was looking out the window with my mother, who said she'd just seen the Easter Bunny vanishing into a neighbor's garden. I remember it distinctly, and had the impression I saw it too.

Don't think I believed in the Tooth Fairy.

·
Registered
2,563 Posts
Nicholas was a true person who had lived in Greece in the 4th Century. The stories about him while he was alive were plausible, but of course, there are a lot of other stories about Saint Nicholas rescuing children and appearing to people after he died which is up to the individual to believe or not.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KKqWVRclRJY

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
I don't remember ever believing in any of those characters. I knew they weren't really real but I just played along for fun and pretended to myself that they were real. I spent most of my childhood in an imaginary world playing imaginary games/playing make believe so of course I liked that this was a long running imaginary game where the adults were playing along and not only that I got gifts too.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I believed in that type of stuff for awhile, probably longer than most of my peers 0_0. I enjoyed the sense of wonder that came with believing and I never really thought much about the logistics of it all for some reason. I think it might have had something to do with being raised in a very religious household - I was also taught that things like Bible stories were literally true, so it was awhile before I figured out what types of things were possible vs. impossible in the world due to what I learned in school and stuff.

I was also extremely trusting of my parents, so even after I started to seriously doubt that things like Santa and the Tooth Fairy could exist I sort of tried to hold onto believing in them because I didn't think my parents would lie to me for so long.

·
Registered
2,610 Posts
I believed fiercely when I was quite little. I was enamored by the magic. My parents did play it up, but I was also pretty much always in la-la land as a child anyway. I did think about the logistics and question them, but was easily to expound upon my own creative twists, explanations, and loopholes to be able to accept it.

Very suddenly at a certain point, I had a feeling of doubt. I asked my mom outright if Santa & company were real and she kept trying to keep insisting that they were, but I literally asked her non-stop all day long because I just felt like she was lying. Finally she admitted it...

(One thing I will say though is that I never really believed in God, even when I was pretending to/terrified of going to Hell. I wonder if it has to do with the way things were presented. Santa, Tooth fairy, Easter Bunny fit right in with where my heart and head were. The way I was taught religion... that did not fit with what made sense to me at all, so.)

·
Registered
154 Posts
Being the youngest of three siblings, there were a lot of things I never believed in- the Tooth Fairy, Easter Bunny, etc. Santa, though, he was different. He was real. Why would my family lie to me about Santa when they were honest about all the others?

I don't think I caught on until I was eight or so :tongue:

1 - 20 of 32 Posts