Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Banned
5,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've noticed that each type handles stress a little differently. I'm going to post some observations on here of how each type deals with stress. Please feel free to post some of your own findings as well, and we will all critique them and see if they tend to be true.

Enneagram 8, and sometimes 1 XNTJ's- The more stressed they are the more controlling they seem to become. When they are stressed they are extremely bossy and hard to deal with.

A lot of enneagram 7 types (estp's, esfp's, enfp's, and even some entp's)- Will go out and do just about anything stimulating to get their mind off of their problems; they will sometimes have a bunch of sex for example, or they might do drugs and/or drink/smoke weed. In addition, they might just abandon responsibility all together and just forget that the problem that they are having even exists.

ENTP's in general- I've noticed that when ENTP's get stressed, they go nutso on you. At first, they will become a complete pain in the ass to deal with and find fault with everything that you do and/or argue with you non-stop. Finally, many of them will then have an explosion and let out a big yell, possibly cry or let out of a big burst of emotions that they often find hard to express in general.

Some very moral enneagram 1's and 2's- Will find everything that you do to be immoral or offensive. Will do nothing but criticize you and/or tell you that you are sinning.

That's all I've got for now. I'll keep them coming though.

·
Registered
4,687 Posts
I tend to thrive under stress. :mellow:

My productivity increases tenfold and I'm generally a lot more focused.

I don't bitch anymore at people than when I'm not stressed. If anything, I'm more rational.

·
Banned
5,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I tend to thrive under stress. :mellow:

My productivity increases tenfold and I'm generally a lot more focused.

I don't bitch anymore at people than when I'm not stressed. If anything, I'm more rational.
Yep, thought so, you are an enneagram 5. I was referring to enneagram 8 xNTJ's. Yeah, enneagram 5 xNTJ's ten to be like that I've noticed.

·
Subterranean Homesick Alien
11,928 Posts
Whether I'm an ENFP or an ENTP, that ENTP description fits me pretty well. When I'm stressed out, I basically snap at whoever comes near me. Even if they seem to have good intentions. I do tend to find fault with everything people do...when I'm stressed out, that is. I'm a huge bitch when I'm stressed out LOL. But...I don't yell :mellow:

·
Banned
212 Posts
As an ISTP 9, when I'm under stress, I tend to lash out at whoever/whatever's stressing me out. I've been known to throw whatever's stressing me out, become extremely combative about helping, punch stuff at kickboxing until my knuckles bleed or are all pink, become extremely sarcastic and just dislike being around people.

·
Registered
9,785 Posts
Yeah when I'm stressed I'm no fun to be around, I make life living hell for anyone who talks to me and find fault with everything. I also get incredibly organised and refuse to budge on an idea no matter what and eventually I explode and freak people out (takes a long time though).

INFJs tend to get really tired and upset easily. They also end up snapping then feel really bad about it and cry (very sweet XD)

Reactions: Sybyll

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
As an ISTJ (and enneagram type 6 or 1. . . not sure which), I end up catastrophizing about all the things that go wrong and being very pessimistic (I'll never get this done, I'll never get that done, I'm going to fail blah blah blah). I don't think I take my stress out on other people very much (like I don't go on a fault finding mission about other people), but I can be very annoying to others because of my pessimism and catastrophziing. I have been known to throw things in private, but I won't do that around others unless I felt safe around them). I can get mad about other people if they are cuaing me stress by genuinely being incompetent, but I wouldn't take it out on them.

·
Registered
889 Posts
I'm an ISTP 5w6 so/sx. For me it depends on the kind of stress. I excel under extreme stress but, life stress tends to make me blow up and be combative. Exercise and play time are my most productive ways of handling stress.

·
Registered
143 Posts
In the beginning, ‘stress’ or ‘pressure’ doesn’t really get to me. Not until the time does – and then, I can usually do a good job at whatever it is I’m doing with little to no effort. It’s amazingly different when I’m not pressured – everything is difficult.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
INFP 9w1 sp/sx

I stress under stress~ I guess what I am saying I will get stressed out over me getting stressed out. I will tend to get frustrated, and make many mistakes. I am usually not in the mood to talk, and sometimes your mere presence will add to my frustration. I don't lash out at people without a reason... but unlike my normal, calm/tactful, approach: I might just bluntly say what I think. If there is any time in my life I will randomly punch someone in the face, it will probably be under stress.

How do I handle stress? Basically, for me there is some strange tipping point. At some point, after being stressed, something clicks inside me and I give up. My stress just goes away, for the most part. Whatever I was stressed about no longer concerns me and I go along with my norm, dealing with the inconvenience of whatever unresolved issue that was causing the stress, as it comes. (An example is not being able to figure out how to do a homework assignment and dealing with the 0 for the assignment.) During stress, quiet is very important to me. Elimination of the stressor is probably most effective way to manage it when possible. :bored:

·
Registered
788 Posts
Depends a lot on the type of stress. Work stress I just tend to avoid & get worked up the closer it gets to the point where I'm going to have to deal with it, I'm constantly reassuring myself that I have time to deal with it & imagining different scenarios where it's been resolved in my mind.
Emotional/Interpersonal stress is a lot more difficult though. I'm worst if something's happened that makes me feel devalued as a person because I'm about 5x more sensitive than my usual oversensitive self... :unsure: If it's a specific person that's said something I've taken badly then I tend to pretend it doesn't bother me & see if I can ride it out, but sometimes they guess by my curt responses. If they keep bugging me or say more to offend me then I tend to lash out. But afterwards I usually feel awful & apologise unless there's lingering resentment towards the person

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
ISFP 6w7...I shut down verbally. I won't talk...unless forced at which point I snap and scream (this is rare) It is very common for me to get physical when stressed. I never hurt people, but I have physically destroyed quite a few things under stress. It's a good thing I'm not really strong, cause i go a little wacko. As in take a baseball bat to the nearest thing to me and render it unrecognizable.

·
Registered
3,721 Posts
Over the last few days I've read back through part of this book:

Amazon.com: I'm Not Crazy, I'm Just Not You: The Real Meaning of the Sixteen…

It talks a lot about how the different functions affects all of the types. In one section, it talks about compensatory use of functions. It basically says that when people get stressed out or distraught, their inferior function starts subconsciously taking over in a negative form. (This isn't the same as the four shadow functions that aren't dominant, auxiliary, tertiary or inferior)

I posted about this in another thread, but the book is quite interesting...it pairs up the 16 types by their dominant functions. Then it describes the dominant function, how the inferior function shows its negative side under stress, and how the types can overcome that negative side.

For example, ISTJ's and ISFJ's have Si as their dominant and Ne as their inferior. I found all three parts to be very accurate for me. Here's the "negative Ne" description, and the advice given to overcome it:

When the mature functions of Introverted Sensing, which have the natural strengths of clarity and specificity, give way to the inferior, a sinister and pessimistic mood settles on the individual. Events in the impersonal world seem directed as if part of a general plot of destroy one's happiness. A simple phone call from a friend relating some benign recent event may be interpreted as if it were a warning of and precursor to the end of a relationship or some other ghastly state of affairs that is coming soon. People in this state of mind make deductions unsupported by the facts.

The nagging awareness that this is so creates a self-defeating cycle of saying "Well, look at my bad judgment. I don't have all of the facts, but looking at the facts I do have and the kinds of judgments I am making, something bad is bound to happen." Under the circumstances, some minor difficulty proves that the inferior was right and that your are right to feel terrible about your life. It is as if the self is demanding that you look to connections between today and yesterday, and that you plan for possibilities tomorrow.
Possible Activities for Type Development

Work on a hobby or other activity that you haven't worked on for a long time. Visit someone in the hospital, go collect seashells, visit a friend from a long time ago--just do it. It will remind you of your strength and show you that possibilities abound that are neither dire nor foreboding. Some folks report that renting the most sinister movie they can find helps them realize just how much the inferior is playing with their minds.

For fun, I'll post another pair. Let's see, how about INFP's and ISFP's? Maybe you guys can tell me if this is true for you. Since these two types have Fi as their dominant function, Te is their inferior.

While Extraverted Thinkers are known for their abilities to see many sides of a problem and to rapidly analyze the pros and cons of options, in its negative state Extraverted Thinking becomes a dictator, unyielding and maladaptive. So compulsively reductive and hairsplitting is the compensatory Extraverted Thinking inferior pattern that it can lead to the conclusion that oneself and others around oneself are incompetent.

The obsession with rightness and specificity eventually turns in on the self, unleashing a critical voice that tries to prove how incapable the Introverted Feeling is at taking discernible action. It is as if the self is demanding you to look at the inner map for direction but always stay attuned to the weather outside. Ignore the ability to analyze situations at your own peril; seek clear understanding of alternatives, but evaluate them to your own criteria.
Possible Activities for Type Development

With pencil and paper in hand to record information, discuss with a significant other recent choices you have made. What were the options and the various factors with each choice? Explore the values involved; which seem to emerge at the top of the list? By giving life to those values in written form, you energize your thinking so that the Extraverted Function can see the criteria used in the inner world. Extraverted Thinking is less likely to unleash its critical voice when it understands the role that critical values play in feeling the psyche.

·
Banned
5,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
ISFP 6w7...I shut down verbally. I won't talk...unless forced at which point I snap and scream (this is rare) It is very common for me to get physical when stressed. I never hurt people, but I have physically destroyed quite a few things under stress. It's a good thing I'm not really strong, cause i go a little wacko. As in take a baseball bat to the nearest thing to me and render it unrecognizable.
I guess the 6 w7 and 7 w 6 aren't so different under stress. I've been known to do that as well.

·
Registered
889 Posts
INFP 9w1 sp/sx

I stress under stress~ I guess what I am saying I will get stressed out over me getting stressed out. I will tend to get frustrated, and make many mistakes. I am usually not in the mood to talk, and sometimes your mere presence will add to my frustration. I don't lash out at people without a reason... but unlike my normal, calm/tactful, approach: I might just bluntly say what I think. If there is any time in my life I will randomly punch someone in the face, it will probably be under stress.

How do I handle stress? Basically, for me there is some strange tipping point. At some point, after being stressed, something clicks inside me and I give up. My stress just goes away, for the most part. Whatever I was stressed about no longer concerns me and I go along with my norm, dealing with the inconvenience of whatever unresolved issue that was causing the stress, as it comes. (An example is not being able to figure out how to do a homework assignment and dealing with the 0 for the assignment.) During stress, quiet is very important to me. Elimination of the stressor is probably most effective way to manage it when possible. :bored:
My wife's an INFP 9w8 and that describes her pretty well, too.

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
Depends on the source of stress and kind of stress. If I'm working to beat the clock, I thrive on that. If I have ten things to get done and two hours to get them done, I turn it into a game, and knock out as many as I can. The more I accomplish, the better I feel. If it's stress, that comes from an interpersonal relationship, I try to talk myself down. If/when that fails, I escape the situation, and try to calm down. If that fails, I break shit and go into a fit of rage, ending the problem, by ending the relationship. That's the most trying kind of stress for me to have to deal with. I'm not good with those kind of problems. The second most difficult form of stress, for me, is running into a problem, that I can't fix, or running into something, that I can't master/understand. For example, if something goes wrong, with my computer, if I can't fix it, I start to lose it. I try every last thing, that I can think of, end up crying in frustration, punching it, walking away to calm down, and coming back to repeat the cycle, until I either fix the problem or shatter the computer to pieces. It's a similar process, when I run into things, that I can't quite understand from all angles. Type theory is a great example. I will not let go of this, until I understand it from every last conceivable angle.

·
Banned
5,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I've also found that many ISTJ's tend to be work-a-holics, and the more they feel stressed out, the more they work. Worker seems to help them to get their mind off of their problems

·
Banned
932 Posts
I've also found that many ISTJ's tend to be work-a-holics, and the more they feel stressed out, the more they work. Worker seems to help them to get their mind off of their problems

yeah kinda- being productive makes me feel better about myself- like I am earning points or something :mellow:- mostly though because I can't relax until all the work is done anyways

·
Registered
815 Posts
A lot of enneagram 7 types (estp's, esfp's, enfp's, and even some entp's)- Will go out and do just about anything stimulating to get their mind off of their problems; they will sometimes have a bunch of sex for example, or they might do drugs and/or drink/smoke weed.
that sounds like me, yes it does.

Hope y'all don't mind that I post this, but this is from Keirsey's website on how the 4 temperaments deal with stress at work. I found it accurate for me.

Keirsey' PersonalityZone - Temperament and Your Career

1 - 20 of 39 Posts